Take one non-QB player from any other team to make us SB fav

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steelknife

Take one non-QB player from any other team to make us SB fav

Post by Steelknife » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Saw a similar thread on another forum.

If you could take 1 player from another team to add to the Steelers that would make us an instant Super Bowl favorite, who would it be? Can it be done, or too many holes? If it can't be done...who would most improve the team?

I was torn between JJ Watt and Calvin Johnson. Richard Sherman a distant 3rd.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 pm

SteelKnife wrote:Saw a similar thread on another forum.

If you could take 1 player from another team to add to the Steelers that would make us an instant Super Bowl fav, who would it be?

No one

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Bakers Dozen wrote:

If you could take 1 player from another team to add to the Steelers that would make us an instant Super Bowl fav, who would it be?

No one

You must be fun at parties.

Just for you: take one player from another team to add to the Steelers that would most improve the team.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Darrelle Revis?

Joe Thomas?

I flip the coin for one of these two....
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm

A left tackle or Calvin johnson, with Kuechly/Patrick Willis/A stud pass rusher a distant also ran

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Tough question. I love Kuechly, but I'd probably go with Richard Sherman.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

JJ Watt....with R Quinn, T Ali a close second. It's about disruption, not sacks. Kuechly and Wagner I gave some consideration to as well. I'd take P Peterson over Revis or Sherman. Sherman doesn't even shadow the #1 wr.

I might go Trent Williams over J Thomas or T Smith. Big shock...I might take D Bryant over Megatron...Megatron showed a little bitch vs TB and I think it was Baltimore he actually finally got tagged pretty good in.

But I go Watt.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Tron

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 pm

I don't think one alone would make us a SB contender. At least two elite playmakers would be needed, then I'm sold.

I'd take Robert Quinn and Megatron.

Gun to my head if I had to pick just one I'd go Megatron. Would love to see what a combo of he and Brown could do. Would be pretty unstoppable as long as we could reasonably protect Ben.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Interestingly enough, while we could use a ball-hawking corner more than anything, those guys don't seem to be all that consistent or impactful year-to-year (blame the wide-open rules).

So maybe you go DE or LBer....but Megatron is just a freak and I think the best player in the NFL by a good margin. Tron, AB and Ben would break all kinds of records together.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

V DUB

Post by V DUB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Mike Pouncey, just too see the supernova of an explosion on the board.

Championship.

V DUB

Post by V DUB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 pm

...On a more serious note I'd probably go with Watt or M. Williams...I'd love too see how Lebeau would use him.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:47 pm

I think Johnson is overrated. He has a couple of off the charts years yards wise...never much at the other WR or TE in Detroit much like Gordon in Clevelands start to career...I'm pretty sure no post season, 1 big season TD wise...I figure with Tate he is a 1100/10 TD guy.....To me he is nothing more then a less competitive TO...not close to Moss or Rice. Yeah, I know he has HOF numbers but I think this year Bryant, Thomas, and Green are all better. I don't think a WR can be the best player in the game...real difficult to see that as anyone except a QB. And I don't like QBs. I just don't think he is up to his press and I do know that at least twice last year he took hits and disappeared after...

Likely 15 players I take over Johnson if QBs are in play..

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Johnson.
Get the best offensive weapon in football for your best player.
Love to see what an All World LT would look like as well blocking for #7.

Watt would be the first choice on the defensive side.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 pm

Clay Matthews!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:28 am

Everyone is taking Johnson, I'm going to go with Jimmy Graham.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Taking Calvin Johnson helps the offense, but it doesn't do anything to make the road to the Super Bowl any easier because he plays for a mediocre team from the NFC.
Taking J.J. Watt and putting him in the Steelers' scheme would be a waste of his talent, and the Texans aren't going to be keeping the Steelers out of the Super Bowl even with Watt.
You have to take Peyton Manning. That removes the Broncos as a major potential obstacle to reaching the Super Bowl, and it gives you a great regular-season QB to go along with the guy who can win in the playoffs.

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm

The Pierogi wrote:Taking Calvin Johnson helps the offense, but it doesn't do anything to make the road to the Super Bowl any easier because he plays for a mediocre team from the NFC.
Taking J.J. Watt and putting him in the Steelers' scheme would be a waste of his talent, and the Texans aren't going to be keeping the Steelers out of the Super Bowl even with Watt.
You have to take Peyton Manning. That removes the Broncos as a major potential obstacle to reaching the Super Bowl, and it gives you a great regular-season QB to go along with the guy who can win in the playoffs.

Interesting way to think about it.

But I did say non-QB... :)

If thinking about the best combo of helping us/hurting someone in the way...Demaryius Thomas?

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 pm

From the perspective of 'who do i want to add to my football team', it's hard to look away from 'tron or watt. But if I'm getting to 'take' any 1 player from any other team, there's a subtraction factor here as well. Can I cripple a key opponent right now? Worth a shot. So, considering the cripple factor, here's my top picks:

(1) AJ Green - I'm not worried about Cinci being the team we'll need to overcome to make the SB. But they are a team we'll play twice during the season, and I think they curl up and die without Green, giving us a couple free Ws. As well as turning us from a team that is perhaps average at skill positions to elite.
(2) DeMaryius Thomas - Similar to Green. I'm not that afraid of Denver this year, but they're certainly the team to beat in the AFC as of this moment. But to me, they lose DT and they crumble. Think they still fight for a wild card. For us, huge boost on O.
(3) Rob Gronkowski (if he passes medical check) - Keeps the Pats O crippled. Again, gives us an elite weapon on O.
(4) JJ Watt - Houston isn't a big threat, but we will play them this year, and regular season Ws (and I have confidence we trounce Houston if we yoink Watt) lead to postseason byes. Watt is one of the best players in the league, and plays a position where the Steelers have ? in both the starting lineup and depth chart. Also, he rushes QBs, which we suck at.
(5) Richard Sherman - Seattle as a SB opponent scares me, not going to lie. Minus Sherman, I don't think they have a chance of making it. Of course, San Fran, NO, and Green Bay are also scary to me, which is why if I'm only plucking one player I look hard at AFC teams first.
(6) Chandler Jones - Steelers need D-line help and an edge rusher for the right side. NE has basically one good player on D. Have to change up scheme a bit, but I think worth it.
(7) Haloti Ngata - D-line + pass rush + he's good + a team we play twice. I don't think the Ravens are a threat this year. But I wouldn't bet the ranch against them either. This ends their season before it starts.
(8) Joe Thomas - A part of me feels that if we have to worry about losing to Cleveland, we have no chance of making the SB anyway. But Thomas is really good, our OT talent is really poor, and we do play them twice.

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Bakers Dozen wrote:

No one
steelers are 8th in the real power rankings, vegas SB champ odds, as of right now, with betting flocking their way of late. The favorite is probably going to continue to be an afc team, simply because there's too much competition in the nfc.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm

SteelKnife wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:Taking Calvin Johnson helps the offense, but it doesn't do anything to make the road to the Super Bowl any easier because he plays for a mediocre team from the NFC.

Interesting way to think about it.

But I did say non-QB... :)

If thinking about the best combo of helping us/hurting someone in the way...Demaryius Thomas?

I rejected your hypothetical reality and substituted my own.

Even if it's a non-QB player, I would be looking to take a player from an AFC Super Bowl contender.

Emmanuel Sanders is the obvious choice. :lol:

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Don't feel like one elite player gets us there...but playing along put me down for:

Joe Thomas

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:54 pm

We need two

Offense: Rob Gronkowski
Defense: Dontari Poe

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:09 pm

The way I see it, adding an elite offensive player could take the offense from good to great. Defense probably needs at least 2 such players. So if I'm trying to win the SB now, I'm adding that elite offensive player.

Interesting about weakening an AFC rival. But that guy still has to be a major upgrade or you probably haven't accomplished enough - take Brady or Manning out of the mix eliminates one contender, but doesn't help actually get you into the playoffs.

Maybe I'll revise my pick to AJ Green. Big boost to the offense and severely weakens a division rival - gotta make the playoffs before you can worry about anyone else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:We need two

Gronkowski over Graham? Cmon...if you're looking for the TE that makes us explosive it's Graham. Plus, with the Gronks injury history and off field shenanigans. ...it's a no brainer.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm

BarryFoster wrote:

Gronkowski over Graham? Cmon...if you're looking for the TE that makes us explosive it's Graham. Plus, with the Gronks injury history and off field shenanigans. ...it's a no brainer.

the injury risk is an issue for sure. but boy, when healthy Gronk is clearly the better player than Graham. Did you see the Seattle playoff game? Whenever NO ran the ball they took Graham off the field. Gronk can block his ass off. Give me the 2 way tight end any day.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

the injury risk is an issue for sure. but boy, when healthy Gronk is clearly the better player than Graham. Did you see the Seattle playoff game? Whenever NO ran the ball they took Graham off the field. Gronk can block his ass off. Give me the 2 way tight end any day.

Respect your opinion but disagree with overall value of the players.

That's why you never go halves on a Fantasy Football team. :D

FC

Post by FC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Patrick Peterson JJ Watt or Joe Thomas.

First 3 players that come to mind

Ben could win it all with a quality defense and Larry Moe Curly and Schemp at Wr.

I will go with Peterson

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm

FC wrote:Ben could win it all with a quality defense and Larry Moe Curly and Schemp at Wr.

I believe he once did.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm

No brainer for me.....

Offense: Calvin

Defense: Sherman

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic