Vince Young regrets his run-in with Jeff Fisher

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
StillMadAtSlobber

Vince Young regrets his run-in with Jeff Fisher

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

The Titans career of quarterback Vince Young ended in 2010, when an altercation between Young and former Titans coach Jeff Fisher ended with Young declaring, “I’m not running out on my teammates. I’m running out on you.” Young now realizes that, as a practical matter, his NFL career also ended in that moment.

“I definitely do regret getting into it with Coach Fisher down in Tennessee,” Young told In the Loop with Nick & Lopez of SportsRadio 610 in Houston. “It kind of left a bad rap with me and the perception that I’m a bad guy.”

Young insists he’s not a bad guy (then again, how many bad guys admit it?). But he said the reputation made it harder when he arrived in new cities.

“Once something gets out to one guy, it spreads like a virus,” Young said. “When I was playing for different teams, the first thing is the perception they already have.”

It’s unclear how much that perception ultimately doomed Young in his handful of post-Tennessee stops. He shot himself in the foot upon arriving in Philly, applying the ill-fated “Dream Team” label. It didn’t get much better when he got a chance to play.

In Buffalo the next year, the Bills decided after spending plenty of offseason and preseason time with Young to move on, despite giving him a $350,000 signing bonus.

The Packers gave him a training-camp look-see last year, but he didn’t do enough in a short time frame to earn a roster spot. The Browns let him show what he can do during the offseason, quickly opting to sever ties.

In past years, part of the problem seemed to be that Young wasn’t willing to embrace the role of a backup quarterback, stubbornly believing he was still good enough to start. He spurned chances to play in Canada, either because he felt he was too good to play north of the border or because he was worried that maybe he wasn’t.

Regardless, it’s now finally over for Young. And his permanent exit from football traces to his permanent exit from the Titans locker room.

Its always fun to pile on Vince Young

Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

StillMadAtSlobber

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:53 pm

This isnt his, but it never gets old.

Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:13 pm

:lol:

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Lmao.

Stick a fork in his dumb ass.

Buh bye!
Last edited by Steel Ubaldo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCSteeler

Post by KCSteeler » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:15 pm

Absolutely classic StillMad. I laugh every time I see that!
"If it ain't broke, don't break it"....Charles Oakley

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:29 am

I thought maybe this was going to be Vince Young regretting running into Jeff Fisher on the night he was planning to kill himself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

COS

Post by COS » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 am

Kodiak wrote:I thought maybe this was going to be Vince Young regretting running into Jeff Fisher on the night he was planning to kill himself.

I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for that meddling head coach!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 pm

He still doesn't get it. No one wants to trust a quitter. Doesn't matter who or what you are running out on. He lost whatever he had inside that gave him his chance to have an NFL career in the first place.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:30 pm

The people that surrounded him took advantage of a very immature kid. Church janitor Uncle was his agent? Purple cough syrup was a good idea?
HOF skillset, 10 cent brain, surrounded by takers: he had as much of a chance as the Dodo bird.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Vince Young regrets his run-in with Silverback. He was all the rage until that play...the Steelers helped derailed his career.

Old School Steeler

Post by Old School Steeler » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:21 pm

SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:The people that surrounded him took advantage of a very immature kid. Church janitor Uncle was his agent? Purple cough syrup was a good idea?
HOF skillset, 10 cent brain, surrounded by takers: he had as much of a chance as the Dodo bird.

Adams forced VY on coach Jeff and that was big factor in Jeff's desire to get out. Sweed cut from same cloth, similar assets & liabilities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic