A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
alancac98

Re: AB continues the craziness

Post by alancac98 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:18 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm
alancac98 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:30 pm
Tomlin should have noticed the erratic behavior and mood swings and ordered him to undergo a mental health evaluation through a team sponsored psychologist. He could have put him on the PUP list early in his career until the evaluation came through. Until the meds were regulated in his body, they could have placed him on the non injury list.
What makes you think tomlin didn't do that? Maybe AB refused to take the meds. Maybe he said he was taking them but didn't. If meds were even prescribed.

The idea that tomlin didn't try every avenue is absurd.
He continued to play didn't he - despite all of the crap? Tomlin could have IR'd him until he had an evaluation done, received counseling, and was cleared by a psychologist. None of that happened, so I doubt it was ever a plan for Antonio. You know, nothing beats winning. Besides, Tomlin's own words were that he would put up with his antic until he no longer produced! What does that statement tell you about how Tomlin dealt with Brown. Does that statement tell you he told AB to get some mental help or he doesn't play? Doesn't tell me that!!!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:18 pm
He continued to play didn't he - despite all of the crap? Tomlin could have IR'd him until he had an evaluation done, received counseling, and was cleared by a psychologist.
No, he could not have. You can't IR someone for acting like a dick, and you can't force someone to see a shrink just because they're acting like a dick. This is fantasyland stuff.

Stillerz Bar

Post by Stillerz Bar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Jobu wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm
Do you really think if Mike a Tomlin is watching MNF that it’s going to make him a better coach?
How can listening to Booger not make you a better coach :lol:

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Jobu wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm
Do you really think if Mike a Tomlin is watching MNF that it’s going to make him a better coach?
How can listening to Booger not make you a better coach :lol:
Good point. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

blu

Post by blu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:37 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Lynch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm
This makes me kinda sad... it's really a shame the cops didn't have to gun him down.
Kill yourself
CT, you are a good man. Lynch, we all know what you are.

Lynch

Post by Lynch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm

blu wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:37 pm
StillerInCT wrote:
Lynch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm
This makes me kinda sad... it's really a shame the cops didn't have to gun him down.
Kill yourself
I'm not losing hope... I still believe there's a good chance he'll blast the brains out of his skull. Hopefully it happens soon.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:00 am

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:23 pm
Except there are reports that Tomlin and the FO did all kinds of shit to contain AB's insanity...
I've not read anything other than Tomlin let AB do whatever the hell he wanted so long as he produced. Enabling is the path of least resistance. That's not leadership, and I don't understand why people keep praising Tomlin for it.
I don't know whether Tomlin should be praised or not. But I don't know why those who blame him for it insist on doing so. Such blames assumes anything could have been done about AB. I have not way to know, but my own opinion is that AB could not be contained at all without total blow back and that Tomlin likely did a marvelous job of getting all there was to get out of him before the train derailed.

I can't find the link, but Colin Cowherd had a few segments some months back where he discusses "a source" (I know, try not to roll your eyes) close to the Steelers org who tells Cowherd that we cannot begin to imagine the shit Tomlin and the FO managed with AB.
People around these parts think they know what was or wasn't done behind closed doors based on a presser (HA!!) and 3 hours of football on sunday. I'm guessing tomlin did everything, to both extremes and in the middle, and then some. The final straw was when he refused to go to florida to speak with him. He'd had enough. Art had to go. But hey, if tomlin couldn't coral AB and keep him on the team producing jaw dropping stats, then he's a failure as a coach. Never mind the 5 years of mind blowing stats. Those don't count. Talk about confirmation bias. . .
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 am

Pabst wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 pm
alancac98 wrote:
He continued to play didn't he - despite all of the crap? Tomlin could have IR'd him until he had an evaluation done, received counseling, and was cleared by a psychologist.
No, he could not have. You can't IR someone for acting like a dick, and you can't force someone to see a shrink just because they're acting like a dick. This is fantasyland stuff.
Something tells me the Steelers/Tomlin would be in real trouble with the NFL if they tried to put a player on IR who is physically perfectly healthy.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:49 am

Lynch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm
blu wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Kill yourself
I'm not losing hope... I still believe there's a good chance he'll blast the brains out of his skull. Hopefully it happens soon.
Okay, I've wasted too much time reading your asshole posts. I'm done. AB hasn't done anything deserving of death. Knock it the fuck off already. As a matter of principle I used to never put anyone on ignore, but I have put posters on ignore now, and it has made my SteelerFury reading experience much better. Congratulations, Lynch! You have made it into the very select class of people I am ignoring! You should be proud. Feel free to respond or not to this post, I won't see it.

I know. Based on past experience you'll probably respond with some comment on how I need to grow some balls. My balls are just fine, thank you very much. Bye!
--Voltaire

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 am

El Kabong wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 am
Pabst wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 pm
alancac98 wrote:
Something tells me the Steelers/Tomlin would be in real trouble with the NFL if they tried to put a player on IR who is physically perfectly healthy.
Well, it wouldn't have to be injured reserve, but why not. You can claim he had a head concussion and needs evaluated for longer term than just a week. Listening to the shit that spews out of his mouth, one could definitely see his brain isn't right. I'd bet you can make a pretty good case for and against it. But your right - AB's shit should have been taken care of long long ago - by his parents mostly, but also his HS coach (who was probably also a teacher), and by his college coach, but the enabling of him just continued as it was easier and he was talented. I don't know all of the things that are in a contract and what Tomlin and Co. could have done to help him out, but I would guess they were more reactive than proactive.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm

Well Antonio Brown taught me what an anti suicide smock is. At least he looked better in that than what he showed up to prison in.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:52 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 am
You can claim he had a head concussion and needs evaluated for longer term than just a week
Holy shit...NO YOU CANNOT! The NFL has independent physicians that make concussion evals. And did you not see the Steelers get fined earlier this year for improperly reporting Ben's injury?

Not to mention, you don't think AB/Rosenhaus will file a grievance with the NFL over this?

You have literally gotten to the point where you're shitting on Tomlin for not being a psychiatrist and for not blatantly violating NFL rules. Please step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Not a Tomlin fan, but I think he got everything out of him that he could given the personality problems. Tomlin is not his dad or his therapist. I remember when the whole Mike Wallace contract thing was going on, Brown was used as a counterexample of being a good teammate.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:52 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Couple of points... First off... the best thing for AB would be a little jail time.
Props to the judge for ordering a mental health evaluation. He might save the guy's life with that.
The guy is clearly off his fuckin' rocker.

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:36 pm

This is fucking tragic, and a waste.
Hope this becomes an opportunity for him, and not just another milepost on the downward spiral.

Post by 955876 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Meh. Tragic is far too strong a term to apply here.

A child with terminal cancer is tragic.

A spoiled narcissistic asshole acting like a petulant baby because he didn’t get his way isn’t tragic. Pathetic sure. Typical yep.

I dont doubt he had shitty parents. But he had also been afforded a great deal of privilege & resources. He could use that to rise above his upbringing and not repeat those same mistakes with his kids but has yet to make that choice.

Maybe someday he will.

Or, he will continue to blame anyone & everyone else for his problems all the while crying racism like he’s been doing.

I doubt he’s hit bottom yet. He’s still reveling in being in victim mode.

Bottom won’t come till all the money is gone and he’s too far removed from the NFL to make a comeback. That’s a ways off still.

He could still land on a team next year which delays this process some.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:24 am

955876 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 pm
He could still land on a team next year which delays this process some.
This latest incident - and he also was allegedly high at the time - is a guaranteed suspension, on top of the already double-secret probation.

So that means Goodell will probably attach conditions before Brown's suspension is lifted. And it's hard for any of us to imagine Brown doing what Goodell needs to reinstate him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Post by 955876 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:50 am

Works for me. I don’t care to see him play ball.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am

Can't stand the guy right now but wait for the exam. There is compelling evidence that his behavior changed drastically after the 2016 Burfict hit. Not that he wasn't troubled before but the additional burden might have been the straw. If this goes the way I think it goes, it's going to be bad for the league.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am
There is compelling evidence that his behavior changed drastically after the 2016 Burfict hit.

There's not. He was always an asshole, but JuJu's success triggered him. Although agreed he DOES have a mental health issue....it's not uncommon for depression/personality disorders to present in the 30's and 40's.

Basically he's an extreme asshole that had a mid-life psychotic brake. Maybe he has CTE, also, but that really has nothing to do with it.

R_S

Post by R_S » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:45 am

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am
Can't stand the guy right now but wait for the exam. There is compelling evidence that his behavior changed drastically after the 2016 Burfict hit. Not that he wasn't troubled before but the additional burden might have been the straw. If this goes the way I think it goes, it's going to be bad for the league.
:roll: dude destroyed a Dubois hotel room and knifed the pillows. Cursed out Dick LeBeau at practice. All years before Burfict.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Lynch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm
blu wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Kill yourself
Maybe you should lead by example. Guide him through the finer points of the process.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm

R_S wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:45 am
:roll: dude destroyed a Dubois hotel room and knifed the pillows. Cursed out Dick LeBeau at practice. All years before Burfict.
Yeah, it was an issue back in high school. He self-sabatoged his opportunities to the point the only shot he could get was to walk-on at WMU and pray they gave him a scholarship.

His college coach said something along the lines of AB had good days and bad days, and you just kind of had to tolerate the bad days. The guy badly needed a father, and his coaches all the way up thru the NFL simply chose to deal with him by not dealing with him.

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pm

Pabst wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:52 pm
alancac98 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 am
You can claim he had a head concussion and needs evaluated for longer term than just a week
Holy shit...NO YOU CANNOT! The NFL has independent physicians that make concussion evals. And did you not see the Steelers get fined earlier this year for improperly reporting Ben's injury?

Not to mention, you don't think AB/Rosenhaus will file a grievance with the NFL over this?

You have literally gotten to the point where you're shitting on Tomlin for not being a psychiatrist and for not blatantly violating NFL rules. Please step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.
Calm down there Pabst. All I'm saying is I don't know what the CBA has in it for mental health. One would think that there are provisions for such a thing, but I don't know what they are. I'm sorry that I should have been very clear with that up front. If there isn't anything in the CBA for mental health issues, there damn well should be and should be addressed in the next one, which is coming up. Besides, I don't need AB to shit on Tomlin. I have disliked him since he was hired. I was one of the few here that spoke out against his hiring from before the ink was dry. He's a fucking football idiot who tries his best to mask all of his deficiencies with a solid line of vocabulary bullshit. He actually says nothing at all that makes sense now in his pressers. He barely may bring anything of value to the coaching staff. Time and again we talk about how he was a defensive CB coach and a DC, but he hasn't developed a single #1 CB for this team. If we didn't sign CB off other teams, we would easily be the 32nd ranked pass D in the league and every team would put 40+ points on the board. That shows you just how awesome of a coach he really is right there! If you want to pat him on the board for "controlling" and "hiding" the bullshit with AB going on, fine - have at it! Tomlin could have out right cut his ass long ago if he didn't seek help. Sure, other teams would have picked him up, but I doubt he would have remained on any team for long given the shit we now know about him. It appears that the only place he may really have like would have been NE, only because of the exposure and championships he may have gotten. But... at some point not long down the road, his antics would have worn very thin and they would have cut his ass just like they did this year!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pm
All I'm saying is I don't know what the CBA has in it for mental health.
You advocated for falsifying an injury report, which is a total violation of the CBA and NFL rules.

The rest of your post is basically "Tomlin bad", which I read 100x/day on here. I get it.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm

They could have started fining and disciplining him....and then offer to waive the fine if he got counseling and continued to show-up to meetings on time.

He wasn't pulling this crap, that much anyway, before that first big contract (according to Ryan Clark). He would have been cut his first year or two if he was like he's been the past few years. So clearly the behavior was allowed to progress until he simply became unmanageable.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm
They could have started fining and disciplining him....and then offer to waive the fine if he got counseling and continued to show-up to meetings on time.

1 He wasn't pulling this crap, that much anyway, before that first big contract (according to Ryan Clark). 2 He would have been cut his first year or two if he was like he's been the past few years. 3 So clearly the behavior was allowed to progress until he simply became unmanageable.
3 does not follow with logical necessity from either 1, 2 or 1 and 2 together. Further, 3 implicitly assumes no steps were taken to curb the behavior and 1 and 2 do not demonstrate that implicit assumption. Maybe you have given us an enthymeme. I say it is extremely reasonable, but extremely reasonable is not the same thing as true. I think AB showed immense promise and started realizing it from day one. Would not be surprised to hear that he was not cut for being an ass in the early days. As far as unmanageable goes, I see no evidence of that prior to the big pay day, after which he became an unworldly WR, unworldly enough to put up with quite a bit.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm

1 He wasn't pulling this crap, that much anyway, before that first big contract (according to Ryan Clark). 2 He would have been cut his first year or two if he was like he's been the past few years. 3 So clearly the behavior was allowed to progress until he simply became unmanageable.
3 does not follow with logical necessity from either 1, 2 or 1 and 2 together. Further, 3 implicitly assumes no steps were taken to curb the behavior and 1 and 2 do not demonstrate that implicit assumption. Maybe you have given us an enthymeme. I say it is extremely reasonable, but extremely reasonable is not the same thing as true. I think AB showed immense promise and started realizing it from day one. Would not be surprised to hear that he was not cut for being an ass in the early days. As far as unmanageable goes, I see no evidence of that prior to the big pay day, after which he became an unworldly WR, unworldly enough to put up with quite a bit.
I still don't understand how some people can think that a respected NFL coach, and staff, as well as an entire organization that has earned the respect of not only the rest of the league, but other sports organizations and fans as well, didn't do whatever was humanly possible to keep this asswipe on the straight and narrow. Of course they did. You've got to be either a) wildly narcissistic and overly confident, b) naive, c) protecting your credibility - or lack thereof, or d) entirely stupid to think otherwise.

There. I said it.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm
You've got to be either a) wildly narcissistic and overly confident, b) naive, c) protecting your credibility - or lack thereof, or d) entirely stupid to think otherwise.
SteelerFury posters????? Naaaaaaaaaaaaah.
--Voltaire

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Read about what Charles Haley was like to his teammates. He was a special talent and a special asshole and in the HOF. We could guess what he would be like with twitter.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic