Ben injury update

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL

Lynch

Post by Lynch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:44 am

Tennis balls??? Oy vey...

KCSteeler

Post by KCSteeler » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:09 am

Can't make this shit up. An older, slower Ben with a weaker arm would be brutal.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it"....Charles Oakley

Lynch

Post by Lynch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:18 am

I'm thinking Ben starts throwing footballs the third week of August.

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:38 am

KCSteeler wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:09 am
Can't make this shit up. An older, slower Ben with a weaker arm would be brutal.
And yet no one seems that concerned about it. I can't figure it out. Ben coming back and performing at a championship level would be a far more surprising outcome to me than him coming back and being awful or getting hurt again.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 am

I see this as good news. He's not rushing it. I want to make sure that tendon is healed and as strong as ever. If I were the Steelers FO, I'd let him rest til June/July. No sense in rushing him back. We need him.

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:05 am

Steelknife wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:38 am
KCSteeler wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:09 am
And yet no one seems that concerned about it. I can't figure it out. Ben coming back and performing at a championship level would be a far more surprising outcome to me than him coming back and being awful or getting hurt again.
Ding ding.

I’m not trying to be a huge pessimist or spread doom but I just dont see it.

Even if his elbow ends up being ok I really do t see him finishing the year.

The guy will be one (not so bad hit) away from injured reserve the rest of his career.

Sucks but I think that’s where we are.

I’d love love love for him to put together one last run.

Just not confident in that at all.

Not only do I think he’s won his last SB, I think he may have won his last playoff game.

Hope this post ages horribly.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 am

Man, I have never met a bunch of guys who were such bedwetters.

Hell, half the posts responding to Ron Cook's tweet about this are disparaging Ben and saying he should have retired years ago or "he still going to suck'.

If you've halfway followed Ben's career and you think there's any way he's going to give up or not get back on the field provided surgery is successful, you're nuts. And he very nearly won a recent playoff game with a separated should/sprained AC joint.

Secondely, there's also a very good possibility this was bothering him for as long as the "vet day off" thing has been going on, and his elbow could feel rejuvenated––that's what experts familiar with this rehab suggest will be the likely outcome for a throwing athlete. 'Like the injury never happened'.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 am

I think this is promising news. Did y’all expect him to be throwing footballs at this point? I sure as hell didn’t.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:10 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 am

Hell, half the posts responding to Ron Cook's tweet about this are disparaging Ben and saying he should have retired years ago or "he still going to suck'.

If you've halfway followed Ben's career and you think there's any way he's going to give up or not get back on the field provided surgery is successful, you're nuts. And he very nearly won a recent playoff game with a separated should/sprained AC joint.

Secondely, there's also a very good possibility this was bothering him for as long as the "vet day off" thing has been going on, and his elbow could feel rejuvenated––that's what experts familiar with this rehab suggest will be the likely outcome for a throwing athlete. 'Like the injury never happened'.
Bedwetters? A bit extreme there sunshine.

The Ben/Tomlin duo has been a postseason (when they can squeak in) dud for a decade now.

Let’s not pretend all is fine in Steelerland.

Ben threw a few passes last year and was done. And as I already said, it might not even be his elbow that sidelines him.

Avatar bet right now that Ben wins a playoff game next year??

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 am

I 2nd B2B's point

If the Steelers re-sign DuPree its fairly likely we have the best D in the AFC

Add 1 to 3 pieces on offense and I think we can hang with any team.....
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 am
I think this is promising news. Did y’all expect him to be throwing footballs at this point? I sure as hell didn’t.
I didnt either.

But I also am not expecting him to remain healthy.

And when you have a staff that relies on players maki g plays first and their ability to scheme a game plan second that is a recipe for well,,,

A decade of futility.

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 am

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 am
I 2nd B2B's point

With Rudolph at QB as well?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:10 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:

The Ben/Tomlin duo has been a postseason (when they can squeak in) dud for a decade now.

Ben threw a few passes last year and was done. And as I already said, it might not even be his elbow that sidelines him.

You got it. I think they win at least 1.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:55 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 am
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 am
I 2nd B2B's point

With Rudolph at QB as well?
With Rudolph we're positioning for a 1st round QB next year. Ben either comes back healthy or he's done.

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 pm
955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

You got it. I think they win at least 1.
Deal.

And I really hope you win.

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:00 pm

And it’s a bet about Ben, not the team.

I don’t have a good feeling bout his health or ability to sustain hits.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:56 pm

franco32 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 am
I see this as good news. He's not rushing it. I want to make sure that tendon is healed and as strong as ever. If I were the Steelers FO, I'd let him rest til June/July. No sense in rushing him back. We need him.
Yeah. I don't get it. He's probably on track following a normal rehab schedule. It's fucking feb 4.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I’m more concerned about the rest of his conditioning.

An elbow in a sling doesn’t prohibit that.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Beddwetting at SF is like common as taking a shit
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Even so, this is really wetting ahead of yourself.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm

It's possible Ben comes back with high level velocity.

No reason not to hope for that outcome.

If he still has it, this will be a very interesting team.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 pm

955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Agree. Nattering nabobs of negativism is much closer to the mark. :D
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm

No reason not to hope for that outcome.

If he still has it, this will be a very interesting team.
If we can keep the D together and add some OL and skill level players, he doesn’t even have to come back to his old self.

And before Rudolph got injured again he was back to looking reasonably sharp...almost as if the Cleveland game had spooked him and all he needed was some time off to get over that.

With even a partially recovered Ben we’d be a Super Bowl contender.

With Rudolph we might....MIGHT...be a playoff team.

Yes I know...the Tomlin Factor.

But what will be will be.

I’m not going to worry about it on Feb 6.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm
From all accounts, that surgery adds a few mph to your fastball. I'm thinking that surgery gave Ben's arm an extra 2-3 years. I think he'll throw the ball as well as he has in 3-4 years.

As for being injury prone, Ben's actually stayed quite healthy the past several years. I'm not sure being older (and wiser) puts a QB at risk of injury all that much more than a younger playmaker constantly trying to make something out of nothing.

For me it's really only a question of when Tomlin is going to let us down. Will he tease us all the way to the AFCC, or dump us again before the playoffs?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm

I’m not going to worry about it on Feb 6.
Many here mistake conversational debate with “worry”.

I’m not worried about it either. It’s about the only thing worthy of discussion at this point in terms of the team.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 pm
Even so, this is really wetting ahead of yourself.
I see what you did there

Rod & Wire Mill

Post by Rod & Wire Mill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 pm
955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Are you referring to the elite corps of impudent snobs.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:19 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:

The only person that you hate criticism of or questions on other than Mike Tomlin is Ben Roethlisberger. There really is something to Swiss' Sacred Cows theory.

You don't think worry about Ben is legitimate given the fact that he will be 38 years old in less than a month and the nature of the surgery that he had? Sure there's likely not a better warrior in the NFL than Ben, but being completely reasonable, it's not a stretch to think that he isn't going to be the Ben of 2008 or 2010 or heck, even 2017 come Training Camp.

I hope for the best. I would love to see him finish up his career in John Elway fashion with back-to-back Super Bowl victories, but is it truly unrealistic to think that he also might be done for? Of course, he's not going to quit. Of course he still wants to compete. But really, there's the distinct possibility that this surgery could be it for him. That's not bedwetting. That's being realistic.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Are you referring to the elite corps of impudent snobs.
Certainly not, for while not a member of the press, I am an impudent snob.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic