From Peter King's FMIA column

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steeldrama

From Peter King's FMIA column

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm

4. I think I really want the Steelers to sign Jameis Winston. Sit for a year, get him ready to conditionally succeed Ben Roethlisberger, and if the interceptions continue in 2021, he’s gone after one season. Risky, but the upside could be pretty great. Now, the contract would have to be one Winston would want to do; he’d likely have a chance to play sooner elsewhere if he leaves Tampa. I’m just talking about a coach-player relationship (Mike Tomlin-Winston) dynamic I’d like to see. Plus, I’d rather have Winston on the rebound than Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges or a draft pick that could be used in a wiser way.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eter-king/

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

CASTEELER

Post by CASTEELER » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Sign him with what? We have no salary cap money this year!

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 pm

That would be stupid as hell.
Winston blows.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Give me more Duck and Mason before the Steelers take on that piece of shit Winston.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

SteelWIll

Post by SteelWIll » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Ahh...I think we can file this under FFPK idiocy and forget it...

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Yeah I’m all for adding a veteran qb but I don’t think Art2 is sandbagging anyone.
Salary cap simply won’t permit any significant additions and even if it did I’d be shocked if it were Jameis Winston.

My days of starting my Monday with Peter Kings article maybe coming to an end.
He’s off the reservation.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 pm

It would be a great signing if he was just a back-up. And when Ben left he was still just a back-up as they search the wilderness for the second coming.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 pm

C’mon guys...what about that Winston/Tomlin dynamic?
Instant championship, I tell ya... :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:28 pm

I’ll file this under

1. Peter Is a fatfuck.
2. Fatfuck is running out of material to write and needs clicks.
3. Said fatfuck hates the Steelers.

GTFOH with James Winston.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Who gives a fuck what FFPK thinks?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 am

Peter King is an idiot.

That being said, the second most important player on the team is the backup QB, and we need one.

Teddy Bridgewater would be a much better choice and cheaper but we can't afford him anyway.

Tomlin for some odd reason is going with Rudolph.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 am

moron king

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:12 am

The Duck story was nice but I don't ever need to see him throwing his ducks again. Hopefully Mason is in the weight room trying to get his body to be more NFL ready than he looked last season. I still don't think he can overcome his physicals limitations. As much as everyone hates it, this team needs to find a QB in the draft to develop. Luckily for all of you that don't want them to use a pick, they think Mason is way more talented than everyone else in the NFL. Probably going to just have to dump everyone after Ben retires and suck enough to get a high pick.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 am

Ben is on borrowed time. How many more injuries is Ben willing to withstand before he hangs 'em up? With that said there is nothing behind Ben. Rudolph was promising as was Hodges when he played 3rd/4th string future car salesmen and XFL wanna be NFL players. If they do draft a QB I'm hoping they look at a prospect they can develop as a rosterfiller until getting a higher pick for perhaps a blue chip prospect. Maybe Hurts , Eason or even Love. Any of those 3 are an upgraded version of what we've seen from Rudolph already with higher ceilings.

I forgot to add the cap..., we will likely see the cap increased. I've seen some estimations of $200Mil. If the cap increases to $200Mil it would put the Steelers in a much better position for the season. A lot to look forward to especially with the combine on the near horizon.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 am
Ben is on borrowed time. How many more injuries is Ben willing to withstand before he hangs 'em up? With that said there is nothing behind Ben. Rudolph was promising as was Hodges when he played 3rd/4th string future car salesmen and XFL wanna be NFL players. If they do draft a QB I'm hoping they look at a prospect they can develop as a rosterfiller until getting a higher pick for perhaps a blue chip prospect. Maybe Hurts , Eason or even Love. Any of those 3 are an upgraded version of what we've seen from Rudolph already with higher ceilings.

I forgot to add the cap..., we will likely see the cap increased. I've seen some estimations of $200Mil. If the cap increases to $200Mil it would put the Steelers in a much better position for the season. A lot to look forward to especially with the combine on the near horizon.
I'm a huge Eason proponent, but I don't think he or Love will be there. Hurts is a possibility. He has all the physical traits and the intangible ones too- but he's going to need some serious coaching up.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:23 pm

I believe that Winston makes sense if the Lazik surgery corrects the problem and Ben was in the last year of his contract (and they could clear cap space for him). 30 int are an albatross to be sure, but he did lead the league in yardage and was second in TDs.

All of this is “on paper” conjecture , Jameis isn’t coming here or anywhere he wouldn’t be competing for a starting job. He isn’t Teddy Bridgewater. My guess is Las Vegas

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Hurt is Tyrell Pryor the sequel.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Based on last season, I don't think "coaching up" a QB prospect like Hurts is within the current staff's wheelhouse.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Ben is on borrowed time. How many more injuries is Ben willing to withstand before he hangs 'em up?
Ben said he would fulfill his current contract and I see no reason to doubt his word.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:54 pm
Based on last season, I don't think "coaching up" a QB prospect like Hurts is within the current staff's wheelhouse.
Probably also depends on how good Hurts is vs. how good Rudolph and Duck are.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:10 am

El Kabong wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am
Steelafan77 wrote:
Ben is on borrowed time. How many more injuries is Ben willing to withstand before he hangs 'em up?
Ben said he would fulfill his current contract and I see no reason to doubt his word.
I Hope Ben stays healthy long enough to fulfill his contractual agreement. That is the whole point of the post. Out of those 3 prospects I listed I like Eason the best. Hurts the least.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:57 am

Steelafan77 wrote:

We've been trying to draft a quality backup QB or potential replacement for Ben since Lefty... I don't have much confidence in Tombert at QB evaluation.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:29 am

I think Peter King still has a job for the same reason that Paul Krugman and Karl Rove do.

No one is accountable for constantly being wrong anymore.

Nietzsche

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:05 pm

All the "experts" are usually wrong when making predictions. Mel Kiper still has a job after being so wrong for over 30 years. Got to trumpet those darts that hit the mark and ignore the other 95% that miss.

https://www.amazon.com/Future-Babble-Pr ... 421&sr=8-2
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 am

Mel Kiper doesn’t have a job based on prognostication. He has almost instantaneous recall on details and stats on players. You might not like him but you have to respect that

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:36 am

VeritasSteel wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 am
Mel Kiper doesn’t have a job based on prognostication. He has almost instantaneous recall on details and stats on players. You might not like him but you have to respect that
Right. He's there to provide color commentary.....on the draft [still don't get the appeal].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Kiper gets all the hype for his mocks. He has, in recent years, toned down his distaste for some picks because he realized that sometimes( reading most of the times) teams know better because they have more information. If all he did in the draft was commentary on the pick I would be fine. When they act like their draft boards are like stone tablets carried down from the mountain and teams that deviate from it are fools, I stop listening.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

StillMadAtSlobber

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm
4. I think I really want the Steelers to sign Jameis Winston. Sit for a year, get him ready to conditionally succeed Ben Roethlisberger, and if the interceptions continue in 2021, he’s gone after one season. Risky, but the upside could be pretty great. Now, the contract would have to be one Winston would want to do; he’d likely have a chance to play sooner elsewhere if he leaves Tampa. I’m just talking about a coach-player relationship (Mike Tomlin-Winston) dynamic I’d like to see. Plus, I’d rather have Winston on the rebound than Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges or a draft pick that could be used in a wiser way.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eter-king/
It looks like we found the only person who huffs more paint fumes than Lynch.
Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic