Steelers to sign Derek Watt

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Pabst

Steelers to sign Derek Watt

Post by Pabst » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Source: FB Derek Watt is signing with the #Steelers. Multiple Watts now in Pittsburgh.
Did not see this one coming.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Takes Dirty Red's place on special teams, and possibly Rosie for FB. Also potential as a move TE, with Matt Canada influencing the offense.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 pm

J.J. Next? :mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Given O'Brien's recent track record, they can probably get him for Rosie Nix and a 4th.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Wow, cheesey way to help resign his brother.
Signing a fullback,that’s what your spending the little cash you have.
CHAMPIONSHIP.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm

IDK, isn't this exactly what type of move you'd expect the Steelers FO to make? I mean they have a serious history of keeping their key players happy, even when it makes lesser football sense.

Ben.....Laundry, Vance (overpay), Switzer
Edmunds....his RB brother (that is easily replaceable)
TJ....Derek

Over the years, I know there's plenty more....

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm

3 years, $9.75M. I’m sorry but that’s just too damn much for a position that barely sees the field. We don’t know who our starting LG or NT will be but we go and pay a FB $3M a year?

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm

This is fucking stupid.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:07 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm
3 years, $9.75M. I’m sorry but that’s just too damn much for a position that barely sees the field. We don’t know who our starting LG or NT will be but we go and pay a FB $3M a year?
I agree, but it's what they do. :roll: I'm sure you guys really aren't that surprised at this. Are you?

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Wow. Awesome news. And this on the heels of some serious cap savings moves...

I couldn’t wait to see what we’d do with the new found money.

This signing exceeds my expectations.

Bravo

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Dirty Red got $4.5M a year. This guy is equally good at teams at $3.2M a year, and can replace Vannett at move TE. Much better hands and a very good blocker.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 pm

I think Watt can play more in this offense as a h-Back type. They needed to add a blocking TE/H-Back and lets see how it’s structured, because it might not be all that much more than minimum.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 pm

He actually fits a couple needs at a discount.

I know it is clouded under a lot of bad QB play but this offense missed the fullback last year. The brief times Nix was in there the running game was tremendously better than when he wasn't. If Watt can play full back at a high level then we got Nix (2 million) and ST Chic (5 million) in one player saving us over $3 million and giving us roster flexibility on game day .

I think that what Watt can give us a something similar to what Kyle Juszczyk does in San Francisco. Strong at the point, some descent enough hands and wheels to prevent LBs from just coming on blitzes. He comes from good football stock and those Watt boys are good guys so he will fit in the locker room just fine.
Last edited by VeritasSteel on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burghboy

Post by Burghboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 pm

I'm hoping TJ said whatever you give my brother I'll subtract from my ask. If not that's too rich.
Last edited by Burghboy on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm

I like the signing but hope it doesn’t cost them Finney

For those keeping score:

Ravens:
Calais Campbell, Michael Brockers, a 2 and a 5 for Hurst

Browns:
Austin Hooper and Jack Conklin

Bengals:
D.J. Reader and Trae Waynes

Steelers:
Derek Watt and their long snapper

Business as usual in the Steel City
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:48 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Given O'Brien's recent track record, they can probably get him for Rosie Nix and a 4th.
Lmao. Right on!

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:45 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm

For those keeping score:

Ravens:

Browns:

Bengals:

Steelers:

So you are saying the Browns are trying to win the off season again. That is a lot of trophies for them.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 pm

jebrick wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:45 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm

For those keeping score:

Ravens:

Browns:

Bengals:

Steelers:

So you are saying the Browns are trying to win the off season again. That is a lot of trophies for them.
Nope I’m saying the Steelers are losing the offseason again.
All about perspective.
Really I was just being flippant
We all know how the Steelers do business this time of year
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 pm

I know it is clouded under a lot of bad QB play but this offense missed the fullback last year. The brief times Nix was in there the running game was tremendously better than when he wasn't. If Watt can play full back at a high level then we got Nix (2 million) and ST Chic (5 million) in one player saving us over $3 million and giving us roster flexibility on game day .

I think that what Watt can give us a something similar to what Kyle Juszczyk does in San Francisco. Strong at the point, some descent enough hands and wheels to prevent LBs from just coming on blitzes. He comes from good football stock and those Watt boys are good guys so he will fit in the locker room just fine.
So let me get this straight; in Rustbelt Randy’s offense, we are going to bring in TJ Watt’s brother and all of a sudden he’s going to turn into Juice? Come on now.

The gripe is we don’t have any cap room to begin with; why all of a sudden did signing a FB get shoved to the top of the list?

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 pm
VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 pm

So let me get this straight; in Rustbelt Randy’s offense, we are going to bring in TJ Watt’s brother and all of a sudden he’s going to turn into Juice? Come on now.

The gripe is we don’t have any cap room to begin with; why all of a sudden did signing a FB get shoved to the top of the list?
I am not saying that. All I am saying is that if Watt is going to be a full back first and ST for value its a good pick up we got younger and cheaper over what we had. He showed a bit in LA but a team with that talent did not need him to do much other than pass protect. We have absolutely no one behind Nix and when he got hurt the running game went into the tank and we had no one that could get in there and carry the load.
Last edited by VeritasSteel on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Not the top of the list, but a good value roster player. Our TE core can't block. DW can. One of the better special teams players gone in Big Red. DW a replacement. Nix down last year with no replacement option. DW can be it. Still young and improving. Potential yet to grow to be an even a better player. His brother there to drive him. A great value, low roster signing, in my opinion. They're doing what that do and have done well by doing. No down side from my perspective.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 pm

Better blocker than Rosie Nix.
Better STer than Rosie Nix.
More versatile than Rosie Nix.
More reliable than Rosie Nix.
If this means that we no longer have to watch Rosie Nix get his ass blown up in the hole, great signing.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm
Not the top of the list, but a good value roster player. Our TE core can't block. DW can. One of the better special teams players gone in Big Red. DW a replacement. Nix down last year with no replacement option. DW can be it. Still young and improving. Potential yet to grow to be an even a better player. His brother there to drive him. A great value, low roster signing, in my opinion. They're doing what that do and have done well by doing. No down side from my perspective.
I yield the rest of my post time to Steelersfan. You broke down my thoughts nicely
Last edited by VeritasSteel on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 am

well they will cut NIX unless they view Watt a TE too

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 am

Watt's contract may very well have a low first year cap hit of some $2 million.
Nix had a cap hit of almost $1.9 million. They did cut Nix so they are on the hook for the last two years of his pro rated signing bonus but they free up $1 million.

So, the Steelers upgraded the Fullback position and got a better special teams player and it only cost $1 million to do it for 2020.

For those that say we never use the Fullback, what a waste, yada, yada, yada, are you paying attention?? They brought on new people to help Randy Fitchner, the offense is going to be different, Matt Canada, Eddie Faulkner and Ike Hilliard are all going to have input.

I think most fans are way naive in thinking that Ben is going to come back and pick up where he left off as if this is 2016. The Steelers have to actually design an offense around Ben for once and not rely on him to save the day. Giving Ben more options, more talented skill players is how you get it done.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 am
Watt's contract may very well have a low first year cap hit of some $2 million.
Nix had a cap hit of almost $1.9 million. They did cut Nix so they are on the hook for the last two years of his pro rated signing bonus but they free up $1 million.

So, the Steelers upgraded the Fullback position and got a better special teams player and it only cost $1 million to do it for 2020.

For those that say we never use the Fullback, what a waste, yada, yada, yada, are you paying attention?? They brought on new people to help Randy Fitchner, the offense is going to be different, Matt Canada, Eddie Faulkner and Ike Hilliard are all going to have input.

I think most fans are way naive in thinking that Ben is going to come back and pick up where he left off as if this is 2016. The Steelers have to actually design an offense around Ben for once and not rely on him to save the day. Giving Ben more options, more talented skill players is how you get it done.
Brother Scunge: Amen.

Please consider taking over the duties if we have no gospel written this year.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 pm
If this means that we no longer have to watch Rosie Nix get his ass blown up in the hole, great signing.
Do you think this Fullback knows where the first down is on Special Teams? How is his first down signaling?

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 pm

We don't have an elite WR core and there are huge questions at QB. Even if Ben plays, having him throwing deep a lot and/or 50 time a game isn't something they should rely on. A real FB can help the running game and pass blocking and can be an ignored weapon in the passing game. Imagine actually putting the TEs and FB into the game plan and having a QB that will use them. He doesn't have to be an elite talent to be an effective part of the offense. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year with an entire off season to plan on not being as bad as they were last year. It will be hard to repeat that miserable performance.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pm

I think the real issue here is Rustbelt still holds the playchart.

My hope? Canada essentially takes over playcalling duties and he in Rustbelt are de facto co-OCs.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Do you think this Fullback knows where the first down is on Special Teams? How is his first down signaling?
Of course, if they cut ole Rosie, they’ll be sacrificing his unique ability to pick up a first down with a 4 yard gain on 4th and 5... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic