Harrison says Tomlin handed him envelope after Massaquoi hit

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Re: Harrison says Tomlin handed him envelope after Massaquoi hit

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Just read what Von Miller's experience was:
Thought he might have to go to the hospital, had trouble breathing, is doing better now but he said it was quite an ordeal. And that's for a young, healthy athlete.

1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat May 16, 2020 8:17 pm

:shock: Really?!? $75k for a bounty on the Browns slot receiver? Please do not conform to such wild imagination.

Terrell Suggs once said in a locker room interview that the bounty on Hines Ward was something like $10k. To consider that the money in the envelope from Tomlin was intended to pay off a bounty on Massaquoi represents a divorcement from reality.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 pm
Just read what Von Miller's experience was:
Thought he might have to go to the hospital, had trouble breathing, is doing better now but he said it was quite an ordeal. And that's for a young, healthy athlete.
Tony Boselli had a terrible fight with it as well. Spent 5 days in the ICU unit.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun May 17, 2020 2:10 am

Watched Arthur Moats' recent show
His show may be the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Gawd awful...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 am

Wow, people really will listen to ANY former NFL player, anymore... and why is Switz listening to former Steelers? He's a Cowboys fan. Doesn't Steve Walsh or Chad Hennings have a show he could listen to?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Yawn. Total clickbait non-story a decade later. NFL will conduct its obligatory “investigation” and all Tomlin has to say is:

Laughing at the turds who think or hope anything will come of this. This is why I hate the offseason.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Harrison got fined 4 or 5 times for hits in 2010, and with the exception of a roughing the passer on Brees - where he was probably a half step over the one step allowed after the quarterback releases the ball - none of his hits were actually penalties at the time, let alone fineable. In today's game they would be both, but at the time, like someone else mentioned, he was being targeted to push the league's new agenda of player safety.

Good point, Smashmouth. Besides, the $100 bill says on it "This Note Is Legal Tender For All Debts, Public And Private," so even if the purported envelope did exist with a payment inside, there is no way to prove what the value was exchanged in redemption for. Not 10 years later.
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm

955876 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:38 pm
That hit ended football as we knew it.
Partly true.
That hit occurred on the same weekend that a college football player ended up paralyzed from a tackle that was riddled with poor technique.

If those 2 events happen weeks apart I'm not sure we get this wave of public pandering during that season.

I think Fat Fuck Peter King did an article about how the game needs changed because of these hits. Goodell read it and we're off solving an issue that didn't need addressed .

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm

PennyBacker wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:17 pm
:shock: Really?!? $75k for a bounty on the Browns slot receiver? Please do not conform to such wild imagination.

Terrell Suggs once said in a locker room interview that the bounty on Hines Ward was something like $10k. To consider that the money in the envelope from Tomlin was intended to pay off a bounty on Massaquoi represents a divorcement from reality.
Yup- there were bounties happening all over the place in the NFL. Hell I remember in HS one of my coaches said he'd buy a Big Gulp (7/11 was just down the street from my HS) for the player with the biggest mark of our opponents' color on his helmet.

Ed Reed said something years ago about twisting players' feet in tackle piles...something about "putting a little hot sauce on them ankles"

NFL wants to portray itself as squeaky clean to all the soccer moms out there....

Burghboy

Post by Burghboy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm
955876 wrote:
Partly true.
That hit occurred on the same weekend that a college football player ended up paralyzed from a tackle that was riddled with poor technique.

If those 2 events happen weeks apart I'm not sure we get this wave of public pandering during that season.

I think Fat Fuck Peter King did an article about how the game needs changed because of these hits. Goodell read it and we're off solving an issue that didn't need addressed .
I I refer to that Sunday as the day real football died. That's the same game Harrison concussed Josh Cribs. I swear he must have been out like 5 minutes. When asked about it Harrison said "that ends the Wildcat", one of my favorite sound bytes ever. Then later in a nationally televised game a Falcons DB almost killed Desean Jackson and knocked himself out in the process. This was all set against the backdrop of the aforementioned college player being paralyzed.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Burghboy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm
955876 wrote:
Partly true.

I I refer to that Sunday as the day real football died. That's the same game Harrison concussed Josh Cribs. I swear he must have been out like 5 minutes. When asked about it Harrison said "that ends the Wildcat", one of my favorite sound bytes ever. Then later in a nationally televised game a Falcons DB almost killed Desean Jackson and knocked himself out in the process. This was all set against the backdrop of the aforementioned college player being paralyzed.
Yup- Harrison knocked out 2 guys that game. THen he became the poster boy for "this is a gladiator sport" PC crowd
YEa I loved that quote about the Wildcat. JH was a dick but he sure was funny!

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Perhaps he was just referring to Tomlin coming out of pocket to help pay his (ridiculous) fine.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Harrison has already said the bounty charge is bogus:
Mike T. Has NEVER paid me for hurting someone or TRYING to hurt someone or put a bounty on ANYBODY! I

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm
Perhaps he was just referring to Tomlin coming out of pocket to help pay his (ridiculous) fine.
I’m pretty sure he (Tomlin) isn’t allowed to do that either...at least not to anyone’s knowledge. :lol:
Basically, if Tomlin handed Harrison cash for any reason, it’s an issue.
That said, A2 and Harrison’s own agent have both pretty much called him a bold faced liar. Tomlin has said nothing...hmmm.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Hopefully just Deebo being Deebo.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Listened to the whole thing it was a good interview and story session. I particularly enjoyed the Porter / Lewis bus story. Ray Lewis saying I am going to pray for you before he got back on the bus with his tail tucked.

I also listened to the Ike Taylor episode which is a really entertaining and informative episode. The best one I heard was the Bart Scott episode. He gave up a lot of inside information and had some really interesting Steelers/Ravens stories and insight. I would recommend listening to any of the them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic