Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 am
Focus on the nursing homes
Focus on the elderly
Focus on those with underlying issues
Focus on meat processors
Focus on testing
Focus on preparing the hospitals
Put your resources where the problem is know to exist. By now most people have figured out how to mitigate the virus.
Might have been the best strategy from the beginning but the country is not allowed to have this conversation. Health pros with this view have not been given a voice at the public square by most of the dogmatic agenda driven media. D-o-g-m-a.

Yesterday I looked at the NYT graphs for the country, trending down in both new cases and deaths since sometime early April.

Deaths are trending down faster. I suspect in reality the number of new cases are trending down faster than the "data" since those are known cases and testing has increased.

Having said that, I'm still social distancing.

Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:29 pm
Focus on the elderly
Focus on meat processors
Focus on testing
Put your resources where the problem is know to exist. By now most people have figured out how to mitigate the virus.
Might have been the best strategy from the beginning but the country is not allowed to have this conversation. Health pros with this view have not been given a voice at the public square by most of the dogmatic agenda driven media. D-o-g-m-a.

Yesterday I looked at the NYT graphs for the country, trending down in both new cases and deaths since sometime early April.

Deaths are trending down faster. I suspect in reality the number of new cases are trending down faster than the "data" since those are known cases and testing has increased.

The best strategy would have been to ramp up testing and tracing to replicate S. Korea. Not interested in the insufficient response that S. Korea has less people. S. Korea also has less money and less resources and the last time I checked, S. Korea did not possess more ingenuity than the US. Had we been ready for adequate testing and tracking, our economy would not be suffering so badly We fucked this up, period.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu May 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm
Havoc wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:29 pm
Focus on the elderly
Focus on meat processors
Focus on testing

The best strategy would have been to ramp up testing and tracing to replicate S. Korea. Not interested in the insufficient response that S. Korea has less people. S. Korea also has less money and less resources and the last time I checked, S. Korea did not possess more ingenuity than the US. Had we been ready for adequate testing and tracking, our economy would not be suffering so badly We fucked this up, period.
I wonder if the strategy we employed would be like in football having your defense try to take away everything from an offense as opposed to taking away what an offense does best.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Well, of course, numbers were down... the whole country has been locked down.

We're not going to know the impact of incautious reopening and defacto abandoning of social distancing for a couple of weeks yet, according to the statisticians. And it appears to be about superspreader hotspots, to which there's a degree of randomness, rather than a steady increase.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:45 pm
I wonder if the strategy we employed would be like in football having your defense try to take away everything from an offense as opposed to taking away what an offense does best.
The total lockdown and the longevity of it was the direct result of botching testing and tracing readiness. That's on the federal level. Total incompetent failure. No spin can can absolve it.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm not sure that's such an easy conclusion. There's no doubt S. Korea benefited from a higher degree of geographic isolation. Same as Japan, same as Hawaii and Alaska. In the US and Europe, major international airports seeded the outbreak that spread easily continentally because of all the travel between states/countries. S, Korea had to deal mainly with just Seoul as seeding vector, without people driving/walking from other countries that had their own seeding vectors. In the US, the outbreak was mostly clustered in about a dozen major cities that, coincidentally, all had major international airports.

In the US, social tracing is a tough sell because people are so concerned about privacy (unless you give them free email or music or something).

The point with testing is fair, although the delays at CDC were a few days not weeks as reported (per Congressional testimony from senior CDC officials). We didn't have a good test, and we didn't have the ramp-up capacity for an outbreak that was already much greater and widespread than S. Korea. I'm not sure why they rejected the S. Korea test - it was determined to deliver to many false negatives, which in hindsight speed is more important than accuracy.

Yes, we could have done better. Again, pretty much every developed country was more or less in the same boat as the US - we're pretty much in the middle as far as deaths per capita. But let's face it - people were never going to comply with locking down borders and sheltering in place back in late January when it could have made a difference.

The thing that we really screwed up that there's no excuse for was nursing homes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu May 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm not sure that's such an easy conclusion. There's no doubt S. Korea benefited from a higher degree of geographic isolation. Same as Japan, same as Hawaii and Alaska. In the US and Europe, major international airports seeded the outbreak that spread easily continentally because of all the travel between states/countries. S, Korea had to deal mainly with just Seoul as seeding vector, without people driving/walking from other countries that had their own seeding vectors. In the US, the outbreak was mostly clustered in about a dozen major cities that, coincidentally, all had major international airports.

In the US, social tracing is a tough sell because people are so concerned about privacy (unless you give them free email or music or something).

The point with testing is fair, although the delays at CDC were a few days not weeks as reported (per Congressional testimony from senior CDC officials). We didn't have a good test, and we didn't have the ramp-up capacity for an outbreak that was already much greater and widespread than S. Korea. I'm not sure why they rejected the S. Korea test - it was determined to deliver to many false negatives, which in hindsight speed is more important than accuracy.

Yes, we could have done better. Again, pretty much every developed country was more or less in the same boat as the US - we're pretty much in the middle as far as deaths per capita. But let's face it - people were never going to comply with locking down borders and sheltering in place back in late January when it could have made a difference.

The thing that we really screwed up that there's no excuse for was nursing homes.
1. We didn't and still don't have enough SWABS properly to test everyone. Swabs!

2. Privacy concerns? Maybe, but I don't buy citizens would have been THAT unpatriotic.

3. "people were never going to comply with locking down borders and sheltering in place back in late January when it could have made a difference"

Even if this is true, which I do not see why we have to believe it is, the complaint is not that we locked down too late. The complaint is that lack of adequate testing and tracing resources required more severe, less targeted lockdowns that lasted longer than otherwise would have been required.
My Republican governor explained that the total lockdown in OH was because there was no way to test and trace. Lacked the tests.

4. "Again, pretty much every developed country was more or less in the same boat as the US"

So much for American exceptionalism, I guess. If S. Korea could do it, so could have we. We fucked up end of story. We have the ingenuity, we have the resources. Failure of federal leadership plain and simple.

5. It's amusing that the give me liberty or death crowd fails to draw the connection between the failure of federal leadership to switch into wartime test production mode and the necessity, severity, and length of the lockdowns.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu May 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Thu May 21, 2020 4:58 pm
1. We didn't and still don't have enough SWABS properly to test everyone. Swabs!
No country does. It is completely unrealistic to test 330M in a month, much less a week or day. Failure is inevitable against unrealistic standards.
2. Privacy concerns? Maybe, but I don't buy citizens would have been THAT unpatriotic.
LOL. I strongly disagree if you've followed tech and libertarian blogs over the years.
3. "people were never going to comply with locking down borders and sheltering in place back in late January when it could have made a difference"
It's absolutely true. The ban on travel from China, which as it turns out was too late, was widely mocked and ridiculed as xenophobic. I think you're forgetting what the major consensus/view was back in January, and well into February.

I mean, people are refusing to be inconvenienced just to wear a fucking mask to the store. A lockdown and invasion of privacy was never going to work until the threat hit home for them. NY identified a community spread case pretty early, traced 50+ contacts, and locked down New Rochelle(?). That was already far too late as asymptomatic carriers were spreading it rampantly throughout NYC. The strain that came from Europe (not China) was much more transmissible and, as it turns out, probably much higher % of asymptomatic carriers.
So much for American exceptionalism, I guess. If S. Korea could do it, so could have we. We fucked up end of story. We have the ingenuity, we have the resources. Failure of federal leadership plain and simple.
It's pretty hard to declare success or failure when you're in the middle of your peer group. SK might have had some advantageous cultural differences, or it might be because of past experience with pandemics (read: our "failure" was already predetermined). I can find many states in the US that are better than SK. If you're going city by city who gets the credit and blame? Or perhaps the analysis is far more complicated than that.

I explained a number of reasons why this might be a logical fallacy. Japan didn't do shit and they don't have an issue, either. I'm pretty sure you will find a STRONG correlation to population density and proximity to a major international airport. There are outliers, but the issue is far more complex than you've made it out. Germany also has done well and they didn't do anything different than the US and the rest of Europe.

5. ...the failure of federal leadership to switch into wartime test production mode and the necessity, severity, and length of the lockdowns.
But they did. There just weren't good plans in place to start shitting out PPE and ventilators in days. That's why I pointed out the CDC testimony as refuting many things that were widely reported. Europe also struggled with developing their own tests. And still struggling to contact trace. To the degree that SK was successful because of that it's because of their experience with SARS and H1N!. Clearly the US assumed the oceans provided adequate social distance.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 pm

This provides some real perspective. As far as the data I've seen, I think this map is fairly accurate - almost 2/3 of deaths in the US around Chicago, NYC, Boston and Detroit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYertn2UMAE ... name=large

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm

A reminder of what was going on in December, January and early February. The entire country, politicians and media were fixated on for better or worse IMPEACHMENT. I understand Monday morning quarterbacking is fun but just a little context might be helpful. :) :) :)
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu May 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:24 pm
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... teammates/

I have little doubt some of you dickheads will find a way to turn this political or into a pandemic debate but I just thought it was good to see our qb throwing the football.
Told ya
Dickhead City
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:48 pm
Steeldrama wrote:

I have little doubt some of you dickheads will find a way to turn this political or into a pandemic debate but I just thought it was good to see our qb throwing the football.
Told ya
Dickhead City
Lets be clear here. It wasn't me.

But I'll be happy to shit on capitalism if you like. . . ;)
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 am

Steeldrama wrote:
Steeldrama wrote:

Told ya
Dickhead City
I am not sure name calling is the best response to those that bring up topics that are deemed political. Especially when those topics impact or potentially impact the NFL. If we are lucky the NFL will find a way to keep the season on schedule and we all can go back to criticizing the coaches and players. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 am

Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 am
Steeldrama wrote:
Steeldrama wrote:

Told ya
Dickhead City
I am not sure name calling is the best response to those that bring up topics that are deemed political. Especially when those topics impact or potentially impact the NFL. If we are lucky the NFL will find a way to keep the season on schedule and we all can go back to criticizing the coaches and players. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last time I checked the site is still called SteelerFury not SocialistFury or Covid19Fury.

If I want death statistics, I’ll go straight to The NY Times and read all about it rather than link it on a Steelers message board in a lame attempt to win an argument about a virus.

I’d like to think I’m not the only one left who frequents this site to read about football instead of the pandemic.
Yet even the most basic of football thread about a 38 year old man throwing a football gets spun into smarmy know it all political bullshit just like several other threads that begin with football talk and devolve into unreadable, uneducated, political or pandemic rants.
So nauseating

Some of you need to step away from the keyboard
Spend time with your kids.
No kids?
Go make some.
It’s a much more fun activity than arguing world topics you know nothing about on what used to be a Steelers message board
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 am

Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm
A reminder of what was going on in December, January and early February. The entire country, politicians and media were fixated on for better or worse IMPEACHMENT. I understand Monday morning quarterbacking is fun but just a little context might be helpful. :) :) :)
There is no place for politics here.....And, honestly, this should be proof as to why.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 am
Steeldrama wrote:

Told ya
Dickhead City
Last time I checked the site is still called SteelerFury not SocialistFury or Covid19Fury.

If I want death statistics, I’ll go straight to The NY Times and read all about it rather than link it on a Steelers message board in a lame attempt to win an argument about a virus.

I’d like to think I’m not the only one left who frequents this site to read about football instead of the pandemic.
Yet even the most basic of football thread about a 38 year old man throwing a football gets spun into smarmy know it all political bullshit just like several other threads that begin with football talk and devolve into unreadable, uneducated, political or pandemic rants.
So nauseating

No kids?
Go make some.
It’s a much more fun activity than arguing world topics you know nothing about on what used to be a Steelers message board
Amen Drama.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 am
Steeldrama wrote:

Told ya
Dickhead City

So nauseating

No kids?
Go make some.
Preach it, brother.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 am
Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm
There is no place for politics here.....And, honestly, this should be proof as to why.
Pfft, If only that were possible. As long as I have been reading these threads on this forum they eventually evolve into politics, race arguments, philosophical differences, name calling etc. Most of it is good natured fun or honest disagreements. But it is what it is. Bring on the NFL. :D :D :D :D

Locked Previous topicNext topic