https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... ssion=true

I disagree with the rankings
Don’t know of the author
He got the top spot right
Do know that this is a prove it year for Conner

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 pm

I absolutely agree with that ranking. It’s the worst RB room in the league...even with a healthy James Conner.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 am

The problem with these rankings, for the Steelers, is that the author has no problem giving some players a pass for injuries, or expecting a return to form or greatness, of expecting a rookie RB to be a great part of the tandem, and then with the Steelers all that goes out the window!

The Texans at #19, David Johnson and Duke Johnson. David Johnson just came in by way of a bat shit crazy trade and injuries have really derailed his career. I could have understood the Nuk trade if the Texans were getting the DJ from 2016. He was coming off a Pro Bowl year, scored 20 TDs and in his first two seasons had scored 33 TDs in 32 games played.

But where has that player been the past 3 years? He has just 1 100 yard game in the last 3 years. One. Last season he rushed for 345 yards. His yards per carry the past two seasons have been 3.7 yards and 3.6 yards.

Duke Johnson is a very nice player, I wish we could have signed him. He is an elite pass catcher but not really as good a runner.

Somehow this duo is ranked #19? Is the author expecting a return to greatness of David Johnson? That he somehow is going to return to that 2016 Pro Bowl form?

Meanwhile, yeah, Conner missed time again, but when he was healthy he put up decent numbers. 10 games, almost 500 yards rushing, 34 catches, 7 TDs. This with a revolving door at QB, no Ben, no FB, Nix missed 13 games, a failure to replace Jessie James, Pouncey missed 3 games, Foster 2 games, just a shitshow all around.

Why does the author not think Conner won't bounce back with Ben, with Derek Watt as the new Fullback? And the author has no problem expecting great contributions from rookie RBs, except from McFarland that is.

I am not expecting anything from Snell this year. To me the trio of Conner, McFarland and Watt has the makings of a very good group.

Do I think we are last in the league? No. Do I think we have a top 10 RB group? No. Are we in that 10-20 range? Yeah, I think as a group, they have a chance to be in that mid tier.

I think it is a bit misleading to say this group is so much better than that group because many of these high ranking teams have a stud RB and if he goes down to injury then that ranking quickly tumbles to the bottom. If Henry or McCaffery blow a knee and are out for the season, do those teams have a great group of RBs still?

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 am

McFarland isn't even our 3rd RB, let alone 2nd.

That's like misspelling your name on your SAT. Automatic fail. :lol:
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 am

Any time someone sends/posts something from Bleacher Report I think of this:

https://sports.theonion.com/furious-ble ... 1819574287

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 am

tbsteel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 am
That's like misspelling your name on your SAT. Automatic fail. :lol:
The name was worth 600 points, right? :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am

Scunge wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 am
The problem with these rankings, for the Steelers, is that the author has no problem giving some players a pass for injuries, or expecting a return to form or greatness, of expecting a rookie RB to be a great part of the tandem, and then with the Steelers all that goes out the window!

The Texans at #19, David Johnson and Duke Johnson. David Johnson just came in by way of a bat shit crazy trade and injuries have really derailed his career. I could have understood the Nuk trade if the Texans were getting the DJ from 2016. He was coming off a Pro Bowl year, scored 20 TDs and in his first two seasons had scored 33 TDs in 32 games played.

But where has that player been the past 3 years? He has just 1 100 yard game in the last 3 years. One. Last season he rushed for 345 yards. His yards per carry the past two seasons have been 3.7 yards and 3.6 yards.

Duke Johnson is a very nice player, I wish we could have signed him. He is an elite pass catcher but not really as good a runner.

Somehow this duo is ranked #19? Is the author expecting a return to greatness of David Johnson? That he somehow is going to return to that 2016 Pro Bowl form?

Meanwhile, yeah, Conner missed time again, but when he was healthy he put up decent numbers. 10 games, almost 500 yards rushing, 34 catches, 7 TDs. This with a revolving door at QB, no Ben, no FB, Nix missed 13 games, a failure to replace Jessie James, Pouncey missed 3 games, Foster 2 games, just a shitshow all around.

Why does the author not think Conner won't bounce back with Ben, with Derek Watt as the new Fullback? And the author has no problem expecting great contributions from rookie RBs, except from McFarland that is.

I am not expecting anything from Snell this year. To me the trio of Conner, McFarland and Watt has the makings of a very good group.

Do I think we are last in the league? No. Do I think we have a top 10 RB group? No. Are we in that 10-20 range? Yeah, I think as a group, they have a chance to be in that mid tier.

I think it is a bit misleading to say this group is so much better than that group because many of these high ranking teams have a stud RB and if he goes down to injury then that ranking quickly tumbles to the bottom. If Henry or McCaffery blow a knee and are out for the season, do those teams have a great group of RBs still?
An excellent post about Steeler football
See
It can be done.
Well said and greatly appreciated
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:28 am

What happened to Jaylen Samuels? This cat has those same abilities as the Scunge description of Johnson. What the hell happened to him?
That said, really never expected much from Snell so his season was a push IMO. I believe that Samuels and Conner could be that dynamic duo this offense could rally around and win those tight games. I suppose injury plays a big part in that plan. McFarland is at this point a non-factor having never played a snap in the NFL. I understand the hope/projection and all but until it unfolds we're just wishful thinking. I think its a make of break season for Samuels and if Conner can't stay healthy enough I could see him being forced to move on...

Here's another laughable bullshit 'stat'.... Steelers finished as just the 30th ranked receiving corps. Why even make such a ranking for a team playing with arm behind its back and cast on its broken leg? These 'rankings' are indeed misleading. So the Steelers receiving corps ranked 30th. The fact that the QB situation was the laughing stock of the NFL last season had nothing to do with it? PFF and their rankings are a fucking joke and belong in the fictional section. I guess the fact that they weren't the absolute last is something. Moving on...

Perhaps this puts Ben in a fortuitous scenario for return player of the year? 8-)
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm

I am torn on Samuels. I do see the pass catching ability but man, as a pure RB?? 2.7 yards per carry last season. I don't see a natural runner, the instincts are off somehow.

McFarland?? The more I dig into him and watch breakdowns of him, he isn't just a one trick pony. The speed wows people, but I like how he can read blocks, set up blocks, knows how to run with the ball. I also like how he slips arm tackles, doesn't go down on first contact. Even when people swipe at his ankles, he doesn't go down easy.

I like how his former head coach Matt Canada will be banging the table for him. I see a potential DeAngelo Williams type of player in McFarland and Fitchner coached Williams at Memphis.

Yes, me sort of connecting a lot of dots here, but I think McFarland has a chance to come in and contribute right away. McFarland probably could not have picked a more perfect situation to be in coming into the NFL.

I have said this before but RBs typically don't need 2 or 3 years to develop as a pure runner. Do RBs really need to learn how to run with the football? To be able to read blocks, etc?? No, I don't think they do, you either have it or you don't. The only skills that I see a RB having to learn is pass protection and being able to run routes and be a legitimate threat in the passing game.

With Samuels he is entering his 3rd season and we still don't know if he is a legitimate RB? At this point I am skeptical, as the years roll by it becomes less likely for that to happen.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm
I am torn on Samuels. I do see the pass catching ability but man, as a pure RB?? 2.7 yards per carry last season. I don't see a natural runner, the instincts are off somehow.

McFarland?? The more I dig into him and watch breakdowns of him, he isn't just a one trick pony. The speed wows people, but I like how he can read blocks, set up blocks, knows how to run with the ball. I also like how he slips arm tackles, doesn't go down on first contact. Even when people swipe at his ankles, he doesn't go down easy.

I like how his former head coach Matt Canada will be banging the table for him. I see a potential DeAngelo Williams type of player in McFarland and Fitchner coached Williams at Memphis.

Yes, me sort of connecting a lot of dots here, but I think McFarland has a chance to come in and contribute right away. McFarland probably could not have picked a more perfect situation to be in coming into the NFL.

I have said this before but RBs typically don't need 2 or 3 years to develop as a pure runner. Do RBs really need to learn how to run with the football? To be able to read blocks, etc?? No, I don't think they do, you either have it or you don't. The only skills that I see a RB having to learn is pass protection and being able to run routes and be a legitimate threat in the passing game.

With Samuels he is entering his 3rd season and we still don't know if he is a legitimate RB? At this point I am skeptical, as the years roll by it becomes less likely for that to happen.
He looked much different pre knee injury post knee injury. I think he will surprise people this year.

Still seems like a contributor as a 3rd down back.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri May 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Last year was an anomaly. Judging anybody on that offense would be misguided.

Add BR to the mix and suddenly that RB crew will jump ahead others in stats. Nobody was afraid of MR or duck. The run game was effectively neutralized with the exception of a few plays and one game.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm

I think connor is above average when he’s playing. No way to guess who #2 is, but if it isnt McFarland i do think there’s a case for us having the worst #2 RB in the league.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm

These rankings may or may not be accurate... but either way they’re dumb.

And no Ben won’t get any credit for high performance *despite* lowly ranked WR, RB, TE groups. They’ll re-write the narrative, rather than give 7 any credit.

Regardless, the time for worrying about public perception or rankings has passed for me... I want them to play and win so damn bad—I can’t wait for a season, even a messed up season.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am

Mick wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm
I think connor is above average when he’s playing. No way to guess who #2 is, but if it isnt McFarland i do think there’s a case for us having the worst #2 RB in the league.
Biggest question mark. We have no idea what Benny Snell looks like this year. We don't know that Samuels isn't the #2 or if McFarland somehow takes over the back up spot. I don't think we even know who the back up is yet.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Connor, Samuels, Snell, McFarland to start the season would seem to be the leading hypothesis. McFarland hopefully proving his gamebreaker abilities on kick returns.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm

I ought to ban you just for posting something so incredibly stupid on our board that once prided itself on the most knowledgeable posters.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm
I ought to ban you just for posting something so incredibly stupid on our board that once prided itself on the most knowledgeable posters.
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think you did once.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Not having Ben last year likely played a major role in the group's under performance last season. With that said we don't have a true RB1, but I'm fine with that. I prefer RB by Committee approach utilizing different skill sets. I'd rather tie capital up on a dominant OL than at RB. Bell was great, but he played behind a great run blocking line.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm

I prefer RB by Committee approach utilizing different skill sets.
The great Aviators disagrees...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 9yfTZ5kBgX
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm

My problem with Bell was that he was fed the ball and he did not produce the TDs that he should have. 11 TDs in a season was his high. When I look at the truly elite RBs that could run and catch and were fed the ball like we did with Bell, they produced touchdowns, over 20 touchdowns or more in a season. Think Faulk, or Tomlinson or Priest Holmes. Hell, a young DeAngelo Williams scored 20 touchdowns in a season. McCaffery last season scored 19 touchdowns. And Bell could only muster 11 TDs in a season.

I prefer more RBs involved too. And I think that Tomlin will finally be forced to adopt that approach.

I feel the same way about having a stud WR. You target somebody 150-185 times in a season and get 100-125 catches out of them they had damn well better be scoring a lot of TDs.

Here is a controversial opinion, I think Julio Jones is over rated.

I don't care that he has a number of seasons where he has caught over 100 catches, or had 1,400-1800 yards. I can't get over the fact that he has had seasons where he has had 2 TD catches, 3 TD catches, 3 seasons where he had a more impressive 6 TD catches :roll:

All of those targets and you get such puny touchdown production?

You don't win games by having a RB or WR having ridiculous yardage totals, or having tons of catches, or carries. No, you win games by outscoring the other team, scoring more points, more touchdowns.

There is something there I think to having these stat whores at WR or RB that gobble up, monopolize most of the attention and focus in their respective offenses, fail to provide the TDs and then those offenses fail to deliver, fail to win championships.

With Conner, I think he can be a great part of a RB group. Say what you want but he does seem to have a knack for scoring TDs, 23 games played, 20 TDs. If McFarland can be that speedy complement and Watt comes in and is our best, most versatile FB since say John L Williams, then that might actually be more effective than just feeding one RB like Bell.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm

Jobu wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm
I prefer RB by Committee approach utilizing different skill sets.
The great Aviators disagrees...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 9yfTZ5kBgX
“I’m a ‘feature runner’ type guy by mentality,” Tomlin confessed. “I think that if you have a featured runner, it gives them an opportunity to drop a stake in the ground and allows others to rally around him.
I do not believe Mike Tomlin understands the difference between winning in the regular season in sports vs winning in the post season.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Mon May 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Any chance we are looking at Samuels next off season and asking ourselves if he can serve as the feature back? If Conner, as players frequently do in a contract year, performs very well, then he may get an impressive offer from another team.

Pittsburgh does show a pattern of utilizing one back. Therefore, as far as Samuels is concerned, he may produce impressive statistics, but from a scaled down body of work.

If 2020 looked like this for Jaylen Samuels: 60 carries for 325 yards, 35 receptions for 375 yards and 4 total TDs. That would equate to about a 1/5 of a season's worth of games based upon the amount of carries the Steelers give their lead back, and the numbers would represent paces on par or better than Bell ever put up over an entire season.

Maybe the real question should be, not if Jaylen Samuels can be a feature back over the course of an entire season, but how likely would the hypothetical season above cause a board meltdown for over using Conner?

Scunge, I agree about Julio Jones. Cannot understand why that "beast" of a receiver can't physically out athlete guys in the red zone. Maybe his quarterbacks have been so bad as to not be able to throw him open.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I endorse this post.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Tomlin loves his JAGs...

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Tomlin not going to change from the wheels falling off their RB

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm
Tomlin not going to change from the wheels falling off their RB
Yep.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Thu May 28, 2020 4:40 am

Conner.

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu May 28, 2020 1:27 pm

AirRescueFF wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:40 am

Conner.
at Pitt, in the few snaps they let him play Connor looked like the best linebacker on the team. Amazing athlete.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu May 28, 2020 2:18 pm

So when’s the pose off? :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic