NHL Proposes 24-Team Playoff

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Drummer Boy

NHL Proposes 24-Team Playoff

Post by Drummer Boy » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 pm

Any thoughts on the NHL's proposal for a 24-team playoff? Apparently they are talking to the players' union about it. (I know there's a Penguins/NHL forum but I doubt anyone's looking at it.)

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Sat May 23, 2020 11:39 pm

Drummer Boy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 pm
Any thoughts on the NHL's proposal for a 24-team playoff? Apparently they are talking to the players' union about it. (I know there's a Penguins/NHL forum but I doubt anyone's looking at it.)
Is that for just this season? Either way that is too many teams in my opinion.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

I thought it was just for this season in the event they can still have playoffs this Summer. Kind of like how in the strike-shortened 1982 NFL season they had extra teams in the playoffs.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Sun May 24, 2020 2:27 am

It's just for this season. I believe the top 4 records in each conference would get a bye, and then it would proceed like the NFL playoffs. The first round would be 5-game series; all the rest would be 7. No crowds of course.

I actually think it's a great idea. I'm desperate for any sports at this point, and this really seems like it could happen.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm

24 teams, two locations=mess
Columbus and Edmonton are the rumor for locations with 4-5 games a day at each location? Think about that ice by the time the last games are played even if they take a break between each game to resurface.

So they are just going to pick up and play after nearly two and a half months with no game action.? I think you are going to be watching a sloppy product those first series and what about the injury factor?
Just cancel the season and proclaim the Pens Cup winners.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Sun May 24, 2020 5:14 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm
Just cancel the season and proclaim the Pens Cup winners.
:D

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Word is that Guentzel is fully healed and ready to go. That would be huge.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon May 25, 2020 12:41 am

I don't care what the format is: I like the Pens and the Steelers chances in this weird sports season we're about to have. I wonder what a $10 parlay on Pens-Steelers would get you?
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Word is that Guentzel is fully healed and ready to go. That would be huge.
Nice. Pens have a legit roster.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:41 am
I don't care what the format is: I like the Pens and the Steelers chances in this weird sports season we're about to have. I wonder what a $10 parlay on Pens-Steelers would get you?
Guessing about 50 to 1
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 am

that a stupid idea to have 24 teams.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 26, 2020 3:35 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 am
that a stupid idea to have 24 teams.
I'm not sure I would want to get a bye starting the playoffs. It's not like everyone in the league didn't get plenty of rest. I wouldn't want to be 'that team' that has to watch with only practice as a means of getting something work in while the team you might face after your bye went through 5 real games and now has their legs under them.
Then again, the Cup run is such a grind that skipping a series could be beneficial.

There is a chance that Letang could sit out the playoffs because of the heart precondition and how Covid 19 might strike him harder.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Even if the Pens win, this "CUP Winner" should have an * by it

The 24 team format is such a farce and a way to shoe horn in 2 original 6 franchises: Montreal and Chicago.

This will be a challenge though because if 1 person tests positive are they going to shut down the other players/teams in contact with them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm desperate for any sports but this seems like it hasn't been thought out too well

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but can't the players get tested the same day of each game and if they test positive they sit out? If all of them test negative then they should be allowed to play as normal. What am I missing here?

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 pm
Correct me if I am wrong but can't the players get tested the same day of each game and if they test positive they sit out? If all of them test negative then they should be allowed to play as normal. What am I missing here?
You're missing the idea that some tests are false negatives, and that's why they test twice, even three times. And then the other thing you are missing is if they only test those that have a temp or display symptoms. Maybe they are infected and will spread the virus - since over 35% are asymptomatic. And then the whole organization will be shut down for 2-4 weeks. What would be the point? If crosby or malkin test positive? Other than satisfy the selfish needs of fans and advertisers?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm
You're missing the idea that some tests are false negatives, and that's why they test twice, even three times. And then the other thing you are missing is if they only test those that have a temp or display symptoms. Maybe they are infected and will spread the virus - since over 35% are asymptomatic. And then the whole organization will be shut down for 2-4 weeks. What would be the point? Other than satisfy the selfish needs of fans and advertisers?
Yes false negatives would be a problem. It just seems to me that if ALL players are tested frequently enough and as long as they continue to legitimately test negative then play on until they test positive.
As far as playing to satisfying selfish needs/desires of fans or advertisers, I am not in favor of that. It is more for the player's livelihood and industry that revolves around them. I can and will survive if sports never comes back. But of course I hope they do come back. Especially the Steelers. :D :D

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
You're missing the idea that some tests are false negatives, and that's why they test twice, even three times. And then the other thing you are missing is if they only test those that have a temp or display symptoms. Maybe they are infected and will spread the virus - since over 35% are asymptomatic. And then the whole organization will be shut down for 2-4 weeks. What would be the point? Other than satisfy the selfish needs of fans and advertisers?
Yes false negatives would be a problem. It just seems to me that if ALL players are tested frequently enough and as long as they continue to legitimately test negative then play on until they test positive.
As far as playing to satisfying selfish needs/desires of fans or advertisers, I am not in favor of that. It is more for the player's livelihood and industry that revolves around them. I can and will survive if sports never comes back. But of course I hope they do come back. Especially the Steelers. :D :D
So you would be fine with sequestering the entire penguin organization, staff, family and anybody that comes into contact with them. Same with the steelers. Because what would be the point to start something that gets shut down immediately? What is the point if Crosby or Malkin are testing positive. Are you going to quarantine them and their family, friends, whatever? And what would be the point of the season if both of those - who gives a fuck about gentzel - are out for the duration?

What if half the O line is out in quarantine, and position players are sitting while their second and third test comes back a false positive? The whole thing is a cluster fuck.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
So you would be fine with sequestering the entire penguin organization, staff, family and anybody that comes into contact with them. Same with the steelers. Because what would be the point to start something that gets shut down immediately? What is the point if Crosby or Malkin are testing positive. Are you going to quarantine them and their family, friends, whatever? And what would be the point of the season if both of those - who gives a fuck about gentzel - are out for the duration?

What if half the O line is out in quarantine, and position players are sitting while their second and third test comes back a false positive? The whole thing is a cluster fuck.

Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer and a clutch playoff performer.

The second part is what has me worried. You really can't play a hockey game down 4-5 players and expect to win. Sure you can call up the AHL guys but their league has been shut down for several weeks now. I'm hoping that the parent club is in contact with the top 10-12 players at WBS telling them to be ready if this dance goes off.
Who the fuck knows but I just don't see this happening and the virus is exempt.
BTW, I agree with Brasco, if there is a Cup winner then the * is applied.

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 pm

I’m excited for it. I hope it happens. I’ll will watch every game.

If the Pens win the Cup, take your asterisk and shove it up your ass. In 20-30years, no one will care. The Devils and Blackhawks still Have their rings and banners from their cup winning strike shortened seasons. When the greatness of Martin Brodeur is discussed, I’ve never heard anyone say, well he only played half a season in 1994/95 so it doesn’t really count. Bullshit.

Now if the Caps or God forbid the Flyers win it all, that’s an entirely different story... :lol:

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer and a clutch playoff performer.

The second part is what has me worried. You really can't play a hockey game down 4-5 players and expect to win. Sure you can call up the AHL guys but their league has been shut down for several weeks now. I'm hoping that the parent club is in contact with the top 10-12 players at WBS telling them to be ready if this dance goes off.
Who the fuck knows but I just don't see this happening and the virus is exempt.
BTW, I agree with Brasco, if there is a Cup winner then the * is applied.
First and foremost I must admit I am fairly ignorant about hockey. I do know teams are trying to get a puck, that I can barely see half the time, in a net while on skates. :lol: The game is exciting and fast paced but I just don't follow it enough to really get that attached. Having said that, no I don't think I would like the idea of sequestering an entire organization because one or two players tested positive nor do I think it would be necessary. It is my understanding that most people and players are still practicing social distancing to begin with and are still negative (assumption). My suggestion of frequent testing (before you come in contact with others) especially during practice and game days is just to make sure those that are practicing and playing in games will not spread it. The rest of the time they should still stay six feet apart and wear masks. As for the player that tests positive they would do what meat packers, grocery store workers, nurses and any other relatively healthy person does. Quarantine for 14 days or until you are no longer contagious. Like Senator Rand Paul, he caught it then quarantined and is now believed to be immune and non contagious.
Which leads me to wonder, if you are a young healthy athletic person, why not get COVID-19 on purpose and go into quarantine with medical supervision ofc and become immune. Get it over with if possible.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 27, 2020 6:42 am

First round opponent, the Habs. We've done pretty well against them. Guentzel back will certainly make our full strength lineup a handful on offense. We'll need some timely goaltending and defense, but it's as good a healthy roster as there is in the field.

Pittsburgh is one of the sites considered for half of the games; not sure if they'd stick the home team there or not, but given the conditions with the ice there sometimes, the multiple games in a row and our speed and skill, not sure how much the home ice would help.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
You're missing the idea that some tests are false negatives, and that's why they test twice, even three times. And then the other thing you are missing is if they only test those that have a temp or display symptoms. Maybe they are infected and will spread the virus - since over 35% are asymptomatic. And then the whole organization will be shut down for 2-4 weeks. What would be the point? If crosby or malkin test positive? Other than satisfy the selfish needs of fans and advertisers?
Also the incubation period is important to consider.

I could test negative today, but positive tomorrow. Yet I've spread my germs and haven't been isolated.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Even if the Pens win, this "CUP Winner" should have an * by it

The 24 team format is such a farce and a way to shoe horn in 2 original 6 franchises: Montreal and Chicago.

This will be a challenge though because if 1 person tests positive are they going to shut down the other players/teams in contact with them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm desperate for any sports but this seems like it hasn't been thought out too well
I mean, you did have situations where the 5th and 10th seeds were separated by a game here and a game there. I feel like it's more of a way of addressing that inequity without the regular season conclusion than a ploy to get Montreal in the dance.

Bjugstad has declared himself out, by the way. McCann can cover his spot with Guentzel back. He was a 2019-20 non-entity, anyway.

It's 2020. NBA, NHL, MLB, heck, probably NCAA and most likely NFL will all have asterisks. It will be a far different set of circumstances to overcome than winning in the last shortened season, for instance, if you're handing out asterisks.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Players are calling it the "Covid Cup," according to Pat McAfee.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm

I saw that some expert analytics simulations run thousands of times yielded the Lightning having a league-best 17% chance of winning the tourney and the Pens only a 1.7% chance.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 27, 2020 8:54 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm
I saw that some expert analytics simulations run thousands of times yielded the Lightning having a league-best 17% chance of winning the tourney and the Pens only a 1.7% chance.
Bolts were the experts pick in last years playoffs in a landslide and they didn't win one game.

Hard to say now but to me Boston was the team to beat before covid. Maybe Colorado out West followed by St Louis.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 am
First and foremost I must admit I am fairly ignorant about hockey.
Congratulations. You are the newest member of the "I Don't Know Shit About Hockey" fan club. I am a proud card carrying member, but I think swiss is the founder. Welcome aboard.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 27, 2020 10:56 pm

Somewhere, Cor, Swiss and Tex, Gord Downie is looking down and smiling.

I'd wonder if the expert simulations were factoring in the fully healthy Pens lineup (bummer if no Letang; for all the gaffes, he generates offense and drives possession), or the one that was limping listlessly towards the end as the season closed...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic