A Steelers preview and prediction

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Texas Black & Gold

A Steelers preview and prediction

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I stumbled upon this guy on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RZLi3DvH8

He breaks down each position and predicts who will start. He predicts the Steelers will be 10-6. If all those players stay healthy I can see the Steelers going 12-4. I think the toughest competition will come from within the division and I agree they will be 3-3. With all the craziness going around it is quite possible the team that can focus the most on football will be the most successful. It will be a challenge but sports may very well be the way back to normalcy.

Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 pm

He's not clueless... but the season prediction is just so detached from reality. If Ben has a normal season, I can barely find losses on there. Maybe 4 if they struggle to replace Hargrave in base.

They absolutely crashed down the stretch... and were 8-8 without a healthy Ben. The schedule is much, much easier this year. He has them at 3-3 in division and 10-6... based on their talent, I would be incredibly disappointed in that result.

I think they are 5-1 or 4-2 AT WORST in the division. BUF, TEN, HOU, IND, PHI, DAL... go 4-2 or 3-3 there... DEN, WAS, NYG, JAX... those should be 4 wins. To me, it's 11-5 if they can't get the ball to bounce their way and 12-4 or better if they are healthy and get a couple of bounces.

Here are the teams they're going to face in the regular season who have at least an above-average D & QB:
BUF
HOU
PHI
IND
DAL
BAL x 2

even if you go 3-4 in those 7 games, which seems unlikely... you'd have to lose two games to:
WAS
NYG
DEN
JAX
CLE x 2
CIN x 2

to go 10-6.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:49 pm

The Steelers are capable of beating all of those teams. But they are also capable of losing to any them. I think they will drop 4.
They will lose to one of the New York teams probably the Giants on Monday night even though they do play well in prime time. I just think they will be unprepared to overcome the emotion of what that game will mean to that area.
The second game they lose will be at Baltimore.
I think the last game of the season will be a loss. Especially if things are locked up for Pittsburgh and Cleveland is fighting to get in or for pride.
I also think the Bengals will steal one from Big Ben.
Dallas and Houston will give the Steelers problems too from what the fans are saying around Texas.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 am

The big question that nobody can answer at this point is what will be the transmission rate for CV19 in the sports leagues and on sports teams. I imagine football will have the highest number of incidents just due to size of the team and the contact.

One incident could wipe out a season for a team.

I’d hate to be in charge of keeping the locker rooms clean and sterile; the person in charge of that task might just be the most valuable player; coming up with the best cleaning solutions and methods might be Just as important as the new Spread offense or 3-4 zone blitz.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:28 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 am
The big question that nobody can answer at this point is what will be the transmission rate for CV19 in the sports leagues and on sports teams. I imagine football will have the highest number of incidents just due to size of the team and the contact.

I’d hate to be in charge of keeping the locker rooms clean and sterile; the person in charge of that task might just be the most valuable player; coming up with the best cleaning solutions and methods might be Just as important as the new Spread offense or 3-4 zone blitz.
That is an interesting point. I am hoping that testing will be frequent and accurate enough to detect anyone before they come in contact with each other. As a precaution I wonder if there is room in these new stadiums to expand the locker rooms or make temporary rooms to give the players more space. The equipment managers will have their hands full too. What a mess. :(

Post by 955876 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:07 pm

The Steelers are capable of beating all of those teams. But they are also capable of losing to any them.
Exactly. And while a positive spin can be applied to finishing 8-8 with wretched QB play, one could also point to the year prior when the collapsed down the stretch with Ben behind center.

Ben is the important piece no doubt. But it’ll take much more than just having #7 on e field to become not only a playoff team again but one that can actually win a postseason game.

Going to take a sharp Ben, luck with the injury bug, and coaches that actually have a plan.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 pm

one could also point to the year prior when the collapsed down the stretch with Ben behind center.
...and one of the best WRs in the game catching passes.

I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t see the 2020 Steelers as good as most. Even if Ben returns close to form and the O line bounces back...heaven help Ben if the turd Zach Banner is a starter, they still have one of the worst RB groups in the league, and below average WR and TE groups.
I expect the defense to regress somewhat...they aren't likely to lead the league in takeaways again. The ILB is weak and thin, and other than Watt, the OLBs are a bunch of JAG wannabes once Bud turns back in to Bud...$16 million :roll:
That doesn’t even take in to account the game day sideline mismanagement.
Now admittedly, I’ve turned into a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Steelers offseason. I wasn’t always that way, but I need to see to believe. I hope they can win 12-13 games, but won’t be shocked if it’s actually in the 7 to 9 range.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 pm
I hope they can win 12-13 games, but won’t be shocked if it’s actually in the 7 to 9 range.
If the Steelers finish 8-8 or worse I will join the folks that have been wanting Tomlin to be fired. Even if Ben gets re-injured or the wheels fall off in other areas. It is time for the Steelers to get back to the playoffs and perform at the highest levels. No more excuses. This is not Cleveland or Detroit. Yes I have been spoiled by the Steelers drive to never give up and their success over the decades.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 pm

As currently structured, as soon as Ben goes down, we instantly become worse than Cleveland and Detroit. Tomlin did a pretty great job holding the ship above water for that 8-8 finish last season.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 pm
As currently structured, as soon as Ben goes down, we instantly become worse than Cleveland and Detroit. Tomlin did a pretty great job holding the ship above water for that 8-8 finish last season.
I agree Tomlin did a great job last year. In fact I was one of those fans on the coach of the year band wagon until the last 3 games. :x I don't know how the fans in those cities can tolerate so much disappointment/failure. But I guess it can be compared to the Pirate fans. After Willie Stargell and the "we are family" year I barely here anything about the Pirates. I would cut class with my transistor radio from Radio Shack to listen to the games. I can probably name all the starting players off the top of my head. Dave Parker, Phil Garner, Omar Moreno, Frank Traveras, Duff Dyer, Kent Tekulvy mmmmm maybe not all them :oops: . I will have to google the others. The killer B's came later. Anyway this is a Steelers thread. :roll:

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 pm

I was at the Cueto game for the Buccos, and dad let me stay up for the 1992 NLCS debacle. My two Pirates playoff memories that stick.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 pm
I was at the Cueto game for the Buccos, and dad let me stay up for the 1992 NLCS debacle. My two Pirates playoff memories that stick.
Too cool...

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:16 am

955876 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:07 pm
The Steelers are capable of beating all of those teams. But they are also capable of losing to any them.
Exactly. And while a positive spin can be applied to finishing 8-8 with wretched QB play, one could also point to the year prior when the collapsed down the stretch with Ben behind center.
The defense was much better last year than the year prior. It's not just about Ben, if we have Ben and the D is as good as last year, we can go places.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:33 am

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 pm
Ice wrote:
Too cool...
Luckily, I'd been watching Steelers games with dad my whole short life at that point, so I was prepared for the late-inning profanity. He completely lost interest in the sport after that team collapsed, and never really bounced back.

That blackout game, along with some Stanley Cup playoffs, the Troy INT game vs the Ravens are probably my favourite live Pittsburgh sports memories. Hard to pick from the Pens games...

R_S

Post by R_S » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Some poor bastard locker room custodian will catch hell but i find it hard to believe how a team cleans will make any difference. Its gonna be just a roll of the dice.
I foresee it being like the road crew my 2 year old was obsessed with watching work on our street. A group of men going to work,in fairly close quarters, without masks, doing their jobs while accepting some risk.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 am

R_S wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 am
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Some poor bastard locker room custodian will catch hell but i find it hard to believe how a team cleans will make any difference. Its gonna be just a roll of the dice.
I foresee it being like the road crew my 2 year old was obsessed with watching work on our street. A group of men going to work,in fairly close quarters, without masks, doing their jobs while accepting some risk.
Well with all the protests going on, if we don’t see a spike in Covid19 cases we will know that the stadiums may get filled sooner rather than later.

If there is not a spike you may see protesters in the street burning their masks instead.

Should know in about 10 days.

R_S

Post by R_S » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Good point. I remember laughing when the Las Vegas mayor essentially offered up her city as a testing ground for reopening. Well, now we have our test subjects with the protests and rioting.

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Ice wrote:
I was at this game when the Pirates beat the Reds to go to the world series. We snuck down from our nosebleed seats to the top of the dugout in the 9th inning. My dumbass 10 year old self jumped off the dugout and into this mass of humanity when Blyleven struck out Geronimo. What a great memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M08YxzFuBUM

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Ha! Wow, that's awesome, man.

blu

Post by blu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:00 am

I just hope that Ben is working out daily with a trainer. Ben's got too old to - I'll just get in shape during training camp - anymore.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 am

Baltostiller wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm
Ice wrote:
I was at this game when the Pirates beat the Reds to go to the world series. We snuck down from our nosebleed seats to the top of the dugout in the 9th inning. My dumbass 10 year old self jumped off the dugout and into this mass of humanity when Blyleven struck out Geronimo. What a great memory.

Cool.

Of course Blyleven ends it with the monster hook.
One of best curves in history of the game.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 am
Baltostiller wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm
Ice wrote:

Cool.

Of course Blyleven ends it with the monster hook.
One of best curves in history of the game.
I was there-- my 66th game of that season.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Joe Morgan hit a BP HR to me... I misjudged it ever so slightly and it hit off the top of my fingers. When Stargell hit his, I'm telling you it was right at me AGAIN. I thought, "I'm catching this one!"... and it just never came down. Went straight over my head into the mezzanine level.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:35 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:13 pm
Joe Morgan hit a BP HR to me... I misjudged it ever so slightly and it hit off the top of my fingers. When Stargell hit his, I'm telling you it was right at me AGAIN. I thought, "I'm catching this one!"... and it just never came down. Went straight over my head into the mezzanine level.
CHICKEN WING!!
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:31 pm
Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 pm
I agree Tomlin did a great job last year. In fact I was one of those fans on the coach of the year band wagon until the last 3 games. :x I don't know how the fans in those cities can tolerate so much disappointment/failure. But I guess it can be compared to the Pirate fans. After Willie Stargell and the "we are family" year I barely here anything about the Pirates. I would cut class with my transistor radio from Radio Shack to listen to the games. I can probably name all the starting players off the top of my head. Dave Parker, Phil Garner, Omar Moreno, Frank Traveras, Duff Dyer, Kent Tekulvy mmmmm maybe not all them :oops: . I will have to google the others. The killer B's came later. Anyway this is a Steelers thread. :roll:
Let me see how much from memory I can go.

Ott/Nicosia Catcher
Stargell 1B
Garner 2B
Foli SS
Madlock 3B
Bill Robinson along with Milner/Lacy LF
Moreno CF
Parker RF

Candelaria
Bibby
Blyleven
Don Robinson
Rooker
Whitson
Romo
Tekulve

That’s all from memory.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:55 am

jeemie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 pm
Ott/Nicosia Catcher
Stargell 1B
Garner 2B
Foli SS
Madlock 3B
Moreno CF
Parker RF

Candelaria
Bibby
Blyleven
Don Robinson
Rooker
Whitson
Romo
Tekulve

That’s all from memory.
Pretty good...

One thing I forgot about that season was that Rennie Stennett played as many games as Madlock and Milner. Before Madlock came, Garner and Dale Berra played 3rd and Stennett played 2nd. Along with Sanguillen and Easler... they made a nice bench.

Also, Dock Ellis pitched some in September... I saw at least one of those outings.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:05 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:55 am
jeemie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 pm
Ott/Nicosia Catcher
Stargell 1B
Garner 2B
Foli SS
Madlock 3B
Moreno CF
Parker RF

Candelaria
Bibby
Blyleven
Don Robinson
Rooker
Whitson
Romo
Tekulve

That’s all from memory.
Pretty good...

One thing I forgot about that season was that Rennie Stennett played as many games as Madlock and Milner. Before Madlock came, Garner and Dale Berra played 3rd and Stennett played 2nd. Along with Sanguillen and Easler... they made a nice bench.

Also, Dock Ellis pitched some in September... I saw at least one of those outings.
Yes I had forgotten that Ellis, Stennett, and Sanguillen were on the team at various points in 1979...and that Stennett had played so many games.

Pirates were at 4-7 when they traded for Foli...fell to 4-10 right afterwards and then went 94-54 the rest of the way...including 52-25 after the All Star Break and 41-19 through August and September!
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:35 pm

The question is...did Dock Ellis see at least one of those outings? :shock:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:35 pm
I've posted this before, but if you have the opportunity to watch "No No: A Dockumentary," watch it. Currently on amazon prime.

And did I say fuck amazon? If not, fuck amazon.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:35 pm
Dock Ellis pitched great down the stretch and I was a little disappointed he couldn't make the postseason roster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic