After Goodell's Latest Words, Will A Team Hire Kaepernick?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
El Kabong

Re: After Goodell's Latest Words, Will A Team Hire Kaepernick?

Post by El Kabong » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:03 pm
The Steelers are still running the same stuff they ran in the 90s, and are an organization that brings in a new OC (Haley) to put their star QB “in his place”.
I think it was to teach Ben to check down and not take so many injuries.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:56 am

El Kabong wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 pm
Jobu wrote:
The Steelers are still running the same stuff they ran in the 90s, and are an organization that brings in a new OC (Haley) to put their star QB “in his place”.
I think it was to teach Ben to check down and not take so many injuries.
OK.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:07 am

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Baltostiller wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm
Jobu wrote:

Baltimore/Harbaugh completely overhauled their offense to fit Jackson...
Exactly. I live in Baltimore (obviously) and Harbaugh completely changed his offense for Jackson because he believed that he was the future and Flacco was done. Completely different than having a backup come in for a few games.
Wait a minute. Jackson took over for an injured Flacco around week 10 of his rookie year and helped the Ravens to a playoff birth.

You're telling me Harbaugh had time, 10 weeks into the season, to completely overhaul his offense to be favorable to Jackson?

THAT MOTHERFUCKER'S A GENIUS!
C’mon man. The minute the Rats traded up into the first round for Jackson, a guy with a unique skill set, to become their “QB of the future” they likely began installing an offense to take advantage of his talents. It’s really not that hard. The Rats offense from Flacco to Jackson was night and day.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 am

You mean they're not going to waste half a decade and three offensive coordinators trying to "turn him into a dropback passer?" That's crazy talk.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Harbaugh was also the same coach who canned his OC just a couple weeks before they went onto win a SB

That takes some major balls

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 pm
Harbaugh was also the same coach who canned his OC just a couple weeks before they went onto win a SB

That takes some major balls
Harbaugh fired Cam Cameron on a Monday in 2012 and on the following Sunday I coached my daughter's CYO basketball team against Cameron's daughter. Obviously this being a Sunday league Cameron had not been to a game yet. My friend coached her team and introduced us after the game. Kind of awkward as I didn't know what the hell to say. Very nice guy though.

blu

Post by blu » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:04 pm

The Times Are A Changin' with a good ol' boy like Brett Favre giving accolades to Colin Kepernick.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:32 am

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am
955876 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:27 am
I get and agree with all that KC.

I’m sure you can see and agree with my deeper point. That being, CK on a team means what happens to CK on that team is a national story.

Coach isn’t so free to make a b move involving CK.

You could easily flip my story. Say he is handed #2 but plays his way out of it. It’s not like that national media would simply be like welp, he ain’t got it no mo. Now all of a sudden coach is under a microscope he would not have been under.

In that situation, playing for a black coach might be ideal.

I don’t have much else to say bout it till something tangible happens with this. Right now it’s just us talking about it. Plus the whole “we are comfy with our back-up QB situation” nonsense.

Might not be true but with this bunch I tend to think it is.
I call BS on players and coaches *necessarily* being distracted by reporters asking questions about CK.

1. Are reporters going to be interrupting film sessions asking about CK?
2. Are reporters going to interrupt practice asking about CK?
3. Are reporters going to interrupt dinner with the fam to ask about CK?

Who gives a fuck about it being a story? Be a Patriot and say rigidly without fail “Our focus is on football.”

I’d be more on board if AV was not a Steeler. I would be nervous about CK kneeling next to AV with hand over heart and whether factions would form in the lr.

Other issues aside, hell yes I’d take the ghost of CK over the hot steaming garbage backing up Ben.
Patriots and Belichick have never dealt with anything like this.

Teams don't like distractions. The company I work for doesn't like distractions. The company I worked for before that didn't like distractions.

The Chicago Bulls brought in Dennis Rodman. They had Phil Jackson and Michael Jordon.

The Patriots could make it work with Moss because of a zero tolerance old school Belichick policy that works for him because of Brady. They expected, demanded Moss to be a good teammate inside that locker room. Let's see what happens to Belichick long term without Brady in light of today's me first self branding spoiled rotten money grubbing insanely rich athlete.

The Antonio Brown argument is a failed one. We were supposed to be building something with him here but he disintegrated before we ever got to what mattered (another Lombardi for the trophy case) so all that time the Steelers organization spent on Antonio Brown was wasted. And it didn't work out for Belichick and the Patriots bringing in Brown either.

The Texas Rangers brought Josh Hamilton into their organization when almost no other pro baseball organization would touch him. Josh was never known as a bad locker room guy with the Rangers, just a guy who had self destruction tendencies.

Notice the players mentioned were all starters, not backups. Stars and superstars on the playing field (or basketball court), not backups.

Kaepernick is 32 years old. He was never in the mold of Brees, Manning or Brady. His ability to run meant everything to this game in terms of being a QB that matters.

From a pure talent standpoint, I can see why there is a little intrigue if we don't have Ben.

But there is so much more to the QB position than talent. Teams who bring in vet backup QBs typically bring in good locker room guys and guys who can be another coach on the sidelines. Kaepernick does not check off either of those boxes so it makes sense to me why teams don't want him as a backup.

I think if you are a talented team a starting QB away then I can understand why you might take a flyer on him.

One thing that really bothers me about Colin Kaepernick, he released a statement that seems to justify the violence.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 pm

I read everything you wrote, Havoc. Still rather have CK as a back up. Mason looked like hot garbage. Maybe too soon to write him off. Ben goes down, show’s over.

Nobody likes distractions. I expect grown men to be able to ignore external BS. I can. I bet you can too. However, I also expect grown men not to cause problems on company time. I do not give a flying fuck about kneeling. I really don’t. I do expect players to be focused on football on game day. I find the pearl clutching over CK to be histrionic and affected.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post by 955876 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:10 pm

I expect grown men to be able to ignore external BS.
I do as well. Particularly highly paid “professionals”.

However, I’d be willing to bet that a fair amount of NFL players (especially the younger ones) wouldn’t meet your standard of “grown men”.

At least from a maturity/mental level.

Age is but a number.

Just saying.
Last edited by 955876 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:02 pm

blu wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:04 pm
The Times Are A Changin' with a good ol' boy like Brett Favre giving accolades to Colin Kepernick.
I think it's interesting that with all the #metoo and other activism going on that what Favre did to his trainer essentially gets whitewashed and he's still held in high regard.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm curious to see what he has left, mainly as an experiment to see what kind of form he can re-gain after 3+ years off.

Of course, Vick was out 2 years and then 1 year as a back-up. But then I guess, for at couple of years at 30-31, he was playing at a similar level to before his suspension.

But I really don't think Kaepernick is interested in playing for less than several million a year, much less back-up. We can point all the fingers we want at the NFL and owners, but he did more than his share to turn that workout into an absolute farce last year. That was not a serious or good-faith effort from someone who sincerely wanted to play again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am

Is there any doubt left why hiring CK would be an incredible distraction? In my humble opinion this is not how to go about getting a job. Any job.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kaeperni ... -supremacy
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

blu

Post by blu » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am
Is there any doubt left why hiring CK would be an incredible distraction? In my humble opinion this is not how to go about getting a job. Any job.

Is that much different from what Frederick Douglass declared in his revered July 5th speech?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:56 pm

blu wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm
Is that much different from what Frederick Douglass declared in his revered July 5th speech?
Considering Douglas' speech was 10 years before the Civil War to end slavery, I'd say yes.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:52 pm

blu wrote:

I think it is very different. In fact, its not even close to compare FD and his times to CK and current times. Night and day.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am

Yes. There is a doubt. But people like you keep repeating the same shit over and over again and then of course, it becomes a distraction. Because you want it to be. You deny your own history.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm

I just want Kaepernick to get a job so posters on this board will stop with politics and other off-topic stuff.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post by 955876 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm
I just want Kepernick to get a job so poster on this board will stop with politivd snd other off-topic stuff.
He has a job. Was doing that job with his holiday Tweets.

That won’t stop if he lands a side gig playing football.

blu

Post by blu » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 pm

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:52 pm
blu wrote:

I think it is very different. In fact, its not even close to compare FD and his times to CK and current times. Night and day.
Of course, you are right about the times being so different. Frederick Douglass' spoke at a time of actual slavery. But the cell phone evidence cannot be ignored.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:08 am

This country has done many great things and many horrible things, but it doesn't seem wrong to me to take a day out and celebrate the good things the country has done while not forgetting the bad things. I mean no matter how far we come no matter how much we improve this country, someone can always say "this country sucks because it once enslaved people." We can't change the past. i bet if he tried hard enough, even Colin could find something good about this country to celebrate. This country did allow him to make millions of dollars after all. I don't disagree with him that we still have far to go.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:57 am

El Kabong wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:08 am
This country has done many great things and many horrible things, but it doesn't seem wrong to me to take a day out and celebrate the good things the country has done while not forgetting the bad things. I mean no matter how far we come no matter how much we improve this country, someone can always say "this country sucks because it once enslaved people." We can't change the past. i bet if he tried hard enough, even Colin could find something good about this country to celebrate. This country did allow him to make millions of dollars after all. I don't disagree with him that we still have far to go.
Nice post EKB.
He is more than welcome to speak his own mind.
Freedom of speech is still a right, tho less so in this day and age. Hope we don't lose that right come November.

It all can't be a horrible country to live in, afterall, This country has allowed him to pack his wallet and bank account with lots of Washingtons, Jeffersons, Lincolns, Hamiltons, Jacksons, Grants and Benjimens.

Maybe the best protest of all would be to donate all that white supremacist money he made to a good cause.

Post by 955876 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 am

El Kabong wrote:

Well said.

blu

Post by blu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 am

955876 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 am
El Kabong wrote:
Well said.
Personally, I agree with you guys. I also believe CK has a right to feel the way he does & to say it.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Speaking of Frederick Douglas above, his statue was just ripped down, dragged towards river.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Yeah, CK is struggling to stay relevant. That's why he turned that tryout into a circus last year. I don't think he has any interest in returning to the NFL, and in a few more years when everyone else realizes this he will be forgotten.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:15 pm

CK could make a difference if he would stand with the Atlanta mayor and help slow, stop or put an end to all these young lives being cut short.
I can not recall such a horrible period of about 10 days to 2 weeks with so many young lives killed, from 17-18 year olds, to 7 year olds, 3 year olds, etc. Lend his voice. Walk the streets, call a press conference, meet with the people of the neighborhoods that are most affected by these killings.
Not just CK, but where are the leaders, mayors, governors, media, etc....... denouncing, speaking out and or protesting all this violence, shootings and killings.

Don't stop in Atlanta, as Chicago, NYC, Detroit and Philly are making Atlanta look safe.

There are so many big voices that can make a difference.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/cr ... 46f13228d3

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
Yeah, CK is struggling to stay relevant. That's why he turned that tryout into a circus last year. I don't think he has any interest in returning to the NFL, and in a few more years when everyone else realizes this he will be forgotten.
I do agree with this. I feel he has zero interest in coming back. But I have also said the same thing about Antonio Brown
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

blu

Post by blu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm
I just want Kaepernick to get a job so posters on this board will stop with politics and other off-topic stuff.
It seems to me that we're doing pretty good here in following the rules. It's not that the topics are just getting somewhat intermingled here but that the are in the real world, too. I know that I've cleaned up my wording before posting to best as I could remove the politics & used more generalizations than specifics & deleted a post or 2 moments after posting coming to the realization - what did I just do. Except when I've responded to something wrong but too overt to leave uncontested & with the realization that my post would be deleted along with the preceding offensive one. Again, thanks to everyone with keeping it the way its supposed to here & it definitely seems that way to me for the most part. I wish to thank the mods for never warning or suspending me - a mod deleted post has always been enough to ensure I be more careful. I just hope we have football, that the Steelers stay safe along with the Steelerfury family (all of us) which I am proud to think myself a part.

Post by 955876 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
Forgotten? By then he will likely be the Mayor of Oakland, Ca or somewhere similar.

Locked Previous topicNext topic