A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
jebrick

Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Post by jebrick » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:54 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am
Connecticut Senator putting pressure on other conferences to cancel:

USA Today:

In the wake of the Ivy League announcing Wednesday that fall sports will not be held during the upcoming semester because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., called on other college sports conferences to do the same.

Football is in severe jeopardy! :cry:
Now we will see that using student athletes for profit overrides any possible danger to them or others.

“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:01 pm

955876 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:48 pm
Many things like liberty, freedom, equality, justice,
Are still waaaaay better here despite the current America is the bane of all evil narrative.

Take a stroll through the continent of Africa, the Middle East, central & South America, Asia, etc etc and tell me how the rest of the world stacks up.

That’s not to say we can’t still be better.

Ironic how many “Americans” shout down and despise this country yet it’s still the one millions of people try so desperately to come to.

I suppose word hasn’t gotten out to the rest of the world just how horrible this place is.
Totally agree 95! There is no place in the world that offers the opportunities that America does.

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:58 am
Of course I do all the math above and then I read the US surpassed 3,000,000 infections.

3,000,000 x 1.4% = 42,000

US death toll = 134,854

PUUUUNTTTT TEAM!
But that death toll of 134,854 is not an accurate measure. Coroners have come out of the woodwork refuting the numbers! A person could die in a car accident and be listed as a Covid death if their blood work tests positive for Covid (and those tests may have been tainted to boot)! Isn't it funny that NY City has, on average, 160 natural deaths every day, but new statistics from NY show no natural deaths. So it seems that Covid has cured every natural death possibility that the world knows! Coronors who did autopsies of those who died were being forced to write Covid on death certificates, so we truly have no idea what the actual numbers are.

From another side of this thing, Covid is said to mutate approximately every 2-3 weeks. Italy announced several weeks back that they were Covid free. It appears that the current mutation of Covid in Italy is so weak, that it is not even as strong as the common cold. It appears that Covid's mutation got worse for a couple mutations from the original, but then has since deteriorated. I read the article, but now it cannot be found! The US has not released any information concerning the severity (or lack of) of the current Covid strain, but then we know why! It doesn't fit into the narrative that the powers to be want all of us to hear. The spike in cases is also representative of the fact that the number of tests issued is nearly a million per day now, as opposed to 100,000 a month ago, yet is does appear that the death rate is decreasing, so something different is happening now. It potentially could be the strains are weakening, but I don't know (I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn! last night :D ).

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:35 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:01 pm
955876 wrote:
Are still waaaaay better here despite the current America is the bane of all evil narrative.

Take a stroll through the continent of Africa, the Middle East, central & South America, Asia, etc etc and tell me how the rest of the world stacks up.

Ironic how many “Americans” shout down and despise this country yet it’s still the one millions of people try so desperately to come to.

I suppose word hasn’t gotten out to the rest of the world just how horrible this place is.
Totally agree 95! There is no place in the world that offers the opportunities that America does.
I've spent significant time in Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, London, Dublin, etc.. These are all rather amazing places to be. So is America, especially the parts with mountains. But the notion everything we have somehow bests everything else, well, I sure didn't feel that when I was strolling down Unter den Linden in Berlin or the canals in Amsterdam, or listening to a chamber orchestra recite Handel for free in a 700 year old Cathedral in the Marais district in Paris last summer with an enraptured crowd while sunlight streamed through the stained glass windows.

We don't do ourselves any favors by ignoring just how awesome other places are.

....which would not exist as such without our saving or putting their ass back in place... ;)
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am
stillthere wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 am
Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 am

I say 32 balls. And for TV drama purposes, the last ball out gets the #1 pick.
I would watch.
And when the Pats win the first pick, followed by Baltimore with the second, what then will you do? :lol:
It may be painful but I would watch it. That would be wild.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 am
How to do a draft with no season is a really tough question. You can't just use the same order again and give CIN the #1 pick again. But I also don't think it's totally fair to give everyone, including KC and other playoff teams, an equal chance at #1.

Not sure how you do that. Maybe cluster it, such that the teams who picked 1-7 last year have an equal shot at #1. Then the remaining 6, plus the 8th, have an equal shot at #2. And teams can only fall so far, so CIN might be guaranteed no worse than 10th. Similarly, KC wouldn't be able to do any better than like 22.

Some luck and some excitement around a drawing, but not entirely detached/independent from 2019.
So you prefer the weighted model. It is much more fair but the 32 ping pong balls would be must see television. It would have the ability to shift the whole league.

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:16 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am
Connecticut Senator putting pressure on other conferences to cancel:

USA Today:

In the wake of the Ivy League announcing Wednesday that fall sports will not be held during the upcoming semester because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., called on other college sports conferences to do the same.

Football is in severe jeopardy! :cry:
If the D-1 schools don't have football the entire athletic departments will fold. Football pays for everything else. There will be big D-1 football.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 pm
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Of course I do all the math above and then I read the US surpassed 3,000,000 infections.

US death toll = 134,854

PUUUUNTTTT TEAM!
But that death toll of 134,854 is not an accurate measure. Coroners have come out of the woodwork refuting the numbers! A person could die in a car accident and be listed as a Covid death if their blood work tests positive for Covid (and those tests may have been tainted to boot)! Isn't it funny that NY City has, on average, 160 natural deaths every day, but new statistics from NY show no natural deaths. So it seems that Covid has cured every natural death possibility that the world knows! Coronors who did autopsies of those who died were being forced to write Covid on death certificates, so we truly have no idea what the actual numbers are.

You could also point out that there were Covid deaths early in the pandemic that were not categorized as such because there were no tests for dead people. In all, I am sure it balances out.

- Fred Sanford

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:06 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:01 pm
955876 wrote:

Just curious have you been everywhere?? Maybe we should start calling you Johnny Cash :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNj6spCtUE0

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm
You could also point out that there were Covid deaths early in the pandemic that were not categorized as such because there were no tests for dead people. In all, I am sure it balances out.
I doubt the actual number is significantly different from what has been reported - there are errors in both directions, probably not major errors and they cancel each other out.

But the mortality rate is more like 0.5%, and falling. I've seen that estimate in several studies and reputable sources. Doesn't get much headlines that 10X as many people had this without ever being diagnosed. Estimates are 30M people in the US have had this, and so 150k deaths is 0.5%.

And we now have some treatment options and a better idea how to administer those therapies. 30-40% of the deaths came from nursing homes, and we're doing much better now at protecting them. So the actual number will end-up being less than 0.5%.

Clemson had 1/3 of their team contract this. Not one single hospitalization.

As for the fear mongers, that's the state of media today. Last year there was a big, bad hurricane on the way that they were breathlessly anticipating. Ended-up being a dud, and you could literally see the disappointment on the faces of some reporters. Fuck those assholes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:58 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 pm
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

US death toll = 134,854

PUUUUNTTTT TEAM!

From another side of this thing, Covid is said to mutate approximately every 2-3 weeks. Italy announced several weeks back that they were Covid free. It appears that the current mutation of Covid in Italy is so weak, that it is not even as strong as the common cold. It appears that Covid's mutation got worse for a couple mutations from the original, but then has since deteriorated. I read the article, but now it cannot be found! The US has not released any information concerning the severity (or lack of) of the current Covid strain, but then we know why! It doesn't fit into the narrative that the powers to be want all of us to hear. The spike in cases is also representative of the fact that the number of tests issued is nearly a million per day now, as opposed to 100,000 a month ago, yet is does appear that the death rate is decreasing, so something different is happening now. It potentially could be the strains are weakening, but I don't know (I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn! last night :D ).
The 1.4% number is as accurate as possible right now. I don't think anyone in the scientific community is setting out to get their work blown out of the water when flaws are highlighted.

The deaths definitely need to be massaged upwards in most cases, and it appears it is pretty easy statistical work in the hot zones. Just compare last year's death rates and causes, look at the change rates over a decade, and you should be able to nail the CV19 deaths which is what they did on the numerator. The denominator was adjusted based on extrapolating the antibody data over a larger segment of the population. It all makes sense to me and should to most people with decent math backgrounds.

The reason the current death rate does not match 1.4% in the US right now, is because the official death number is too low, and the official infection rate is too low. The infections are at least 10,000,000 right now, when you divide the official death rate times 1.4%. The real death toll will be known when the year is over. It is an easy math exercise and there are too many sources of data and too many institutions linked to cause of death data, unfortunately we will probably have to wait for the official sources to publish their yearly reports.

As far as the financial pressures put on universities by having or not having a D1 football program, it can be a mixed bag. The major D1 programs are obviously cash cows, but they also have nefarious fees in their tuition that helps support many of the big name programs, and fairly sizable fees at that.

It will be interesting to see what happens and how many scandals and financial misdeeds are uncovered if any, if D1 football is deleted for the fall.

There was a Real Sports episode where the AD or the Dean of the college/university was facing major financial pressures. They cut the minor D1 football program, if I recall correctly, and all the financial problems went away. They converted the field to some agricultural program...and money problems were a thing of the past.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:07 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:58 pm
As far as the financial pressures put on universities by having or not having a D1 football program, it can be a mixed bag. The major D1 programs are obviously cash cows, but they also have nefarious fees in their tuition that helps support many of the big name programs, and fairly sizable fees at that.

It will be interesting to see what happens and how many scandals and financial misdeeds are uncovered if any, if D1 football is deleted for the fall.

There was a Real Sports episode where the AD or the Dean of the college/university was facing major financial pressures. They cut the minor D1 football program, if I recall correctly, and all the financial problems went away. They converted the field to some agricultural program...and money problems were a thing of the past.
Dude, sports is NOTHING. The financial pressure for non-elite universities is to have in-person classes. The elite / top-tier institutions can afford to go all online for the Fall and even Spring semesters because the students and families are so desirous of the prestige of the degree. But for normal small liberal arts colleges and ho-hum state schools, there is immense pressure to say everything is fine, give us your money, we're going to have in-person classes. Meanwhile, the faculty are taking bets on how many weeks it will be before an outbreak and classes go fully online after those tuition dollars are already in the bank.

In other news, my dumbass school district, in its infinite wisdom of listening to the mob, has decided that despite the fact that the virus is spread by aerosol particulates, is not going to make masks mandatory for students. So now parents have to decide to sit their kid in front of a computer all day five days a week or send them to school to attend with children of slack jawed idiots who don't think their kids should have to wear masks.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:07 pm

In other news, my dumbass school district, in its infinite wisdom of listening to the mob, has decided that despite the fact that the virus is spread by aerosol particulates, is not going to make masks mandatory for students. So now parents have to decide to sit their kid in front of a computer all day five days a week or send them to school to attend with children of slack jawed idiots who don't think their kids should have to wear masks.
I understand your pain. My local district said they are just going to reopen. Our high school is a consolidated school so there are 6000+ students. It is only a matter of when the outbreak occurs.

- Fred Sanford

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:24 pm

I have a first cousin once removed studying in Seattle that is not a US citizen. She faces deportation if no in person classes are being held.

Kinda fucked.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 pm

And. . . everybody keeps talking about death rates, but my friend in DC had a stroke as a result of C19. He's recovering but he won't ever be the same. Nobody really knows what the long term effects are. Reports are that this has long lasting health consequences - brain/ kidney/ lung damage. Maybe not for everybody, but I don't think the death rate is the only singular data set that is important.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:53 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:22 pm

I understand your pain. My local district said they are just going to reopen. Our high school is a consolidated school so there are 6000+ students. It is only a matter of when the outbreak occurs.
Desks are going to be only three feet apart (reasonable, given space limitations), but masks are not mandatory. What am I missing here?

And get this, I shit you not, 48% of the parents surveyed said they disagreed with carving out assigned times for everyone to wash their hands! Holy shit! No masks AND no mandatory handwashing! Is this 1372?! We gonna waive some crystals around to keep the virus at bay? The governor literally just mandated people wear masks in public places because our county's cases are spiking back up.

I'm surrounded by assholes!

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:53 pm
And get this, I shit you not, 48% of the parents surveyed said they disagreed with carving out assigned times for everyone to wash their hands!
That's not even the worst of it. Like 1/3 of people said they wouldn't take the vaccine even if it's free. So, potentially, even a vaccine that were 100% effective wouldn't provide herd immunity if 1/3 of the people didn't take it.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm

That's the understatement of the year.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:06 am

Well looks like some Big 10 games are canceled.

ESPN:

Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall

......NFL still holding steady.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:43 am

And I think you guys who are still trying to downplay this are nuts.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:06 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Desks are going to be only three feet apart (reasonable, given space limitations), but masks are not mandatory. What am I missing here?

And get this, I shit you not, 48% of the parents surveyed said they disagreed with carving out assigned times for everyone to wash their hands! Holy shit! No masks AND no mandatory handwashing! Is this 1372?! We gonna waive some crystals around to keep the virus at bay? The governor literally just mandated people wear masks in public places because our county's cases are spiking back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M-BcQLEAJY

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm

We may not see football this year.

Got two emails Wednesday.
One from my college, stating all classes will be taught online.

One from the Steelers......giving me the option for a full refund of my season tickets for the 2020 season.
At this point, we would like to make you aware that you have the option to apply for a full refund for the 2020 season while still retaining the ability to renew your season ticket location in 2021,
The NBA and MLB will be the test run at the end of the month.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm

Immunity tests before attending events at large stadiums.
The interesting and somewhat scary thing is that it could be checked with a barcode while scanning your ticket. I'm not to sure I would like that much information out there. But it would be more convenient than carry that yellow WHO card around.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/immunity ... octor-says
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm
The interesting and somewhat scary thing is that it could be checked with a barcode while scanning your ticket. I'm not to sure I would like that much information out there. But it would be more convenient than carry that yellow WHO card around.

The immunity passports are dangerous for a couple of reasons. #1 are false positives and #2 is the haves and have-nots for the economy. Does not mean nations will not do it but there are ethical questions beyond going to a sporting event.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/06 ... -passports

- Fred Sanford

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:31 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm

The immunity passports are dangerous for a couple of reasons. #1 are false positives and #2 is the haves and have-nots for the economy. Does not mean nations will not do it but there are ethical questions beyond going to a sporting event.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/06 ... -passports
Thanks for sharing that link it was very informative. The very last paragraph helped me to understand the difference between Immunity Passports and essentially the WHO card. I think there will always be issues between the haves and have nots. Maybe governments can issue them "free" or add an endorsement to current passports to those that have recovered and got accurate verified results. But I'm not to comfortable with the government getting involved with medical records.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Well, the NFL finances are about to get a lot uglier a lot sooner than we realized. Players seem to be in denial - I'm looking at you, Devin Bush - about the looming cap implications. I agree you deserve full pay for a full season, but your pay actually comes from a revenue sharing agreement and when the revenue goes down....

Now I don't agree that the NFL can, or should, take that 2021 refund this year. But the cap cratering next year is going to need to be addressed. To me, the easy solution would just be to renegotiate the revenue sharing and spread that cap hit out over the remaining 10 years of the CBA.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2007080137

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:43 pm
Well, the NFL finances are about to get a lot uglier a lot sooner than we realized. Players seem to be in denial - I'm looking at you, Devin Bush - about the looming cap implications. I agree you deserve full pay for a full season, but your pay actually comes from a revenue sharing agreement and when the revenue goes down....

Now I don't agree that the NFL can, or should, take that 2021 refund this year. But the cap cratering next year is going to need to be addressed. To me, the easy solution would just be to renegotiate the revenue sharing and spread that cap hit out over the remaining 10 years of the CBA.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2007080137
Millionaires and Billionaires arguing over money. It could get very bad as the vast majority of the players will want their full salary. Older players will be the ones cut when the cap drop $40-80M

- Fred Sanford

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:17 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm
Millionaires and Billionaires arguing over money. It could get very bad as the vast majority of the players will want their full salary. Older players will be the ones cut when the cap drop $40-80M
Just don't see how that will be good for the league. I know more than a few players only care about the money, but how is Devin Bush going to feel when PIT cuts Ben next year and rolls with Rudolph?

You're going to cut some of the best players and basically no one will have cap space to sign them. How is that going to work for the league in 2021?

OR....you cut all the mid-tier players making more than vet min. A guy like Alualu could be cut and re-signed at vet min saving almost $2M. A pretty long list of vet depth and back-up players, and probably not more than like 25% of the roster (meaning they could very well get screwed by their NFLPA brethren). If that's what most teams do, no one has extra money to pay those guys. They'll have to either do a 1-yr deal at vet min, or sit out a year.

Big problem to be addressed. The owners trying to take that 35% this year is a stupid and unnecessary power play.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Well one company you know that won’t be losing money; Microsoft!

In times of boom you need Excel to figure out what to do with all the money.

In times of bust, the NFL capologists will be hitting Excel hard trying to spread the Nutella of cap cuts across the spectrum of salaries; unfortunately this Nutella won’t smell, taste, or look like Nutella!

Rinse and repeat across every budget in this country! This damn pandemic’s fallout will easily last a decade.

Just wait for the alarm bells once Joe Mayor and Patty Commissioner get the notes on their budget shortfalls across the land!

What do you mean local income tax took a hit?
What do you mean people are having trouble paying property tax?
What do you mean concessions are zero from the Oxford Honey Harvest festival?
What do you mean speeding tickets and DUI revenue is down because of the pandemic?
What do you mean the tolls from the Fastway to Metropolis have been cut in half?
What do you mean.....insert obscure revenue generation!

Oh the Nutella that needs to be spread for the sandwiches to be eaten!

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:18 pm
Oh the Nutella that needs to be spread for the sandwiches to be eaten!
I can't tell you how much I laughed at that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic