Steelers sign Josh Dobbs

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steeldrama

Steelers sign Josh Dobbs

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Steelers claimed QB Josh Dobbs off waivers from the Jaguars.
The Steelers traded Dobbs right before the 2019 season started for a fifth-round pick and are able to pick him back up without spending a draft pick one year later. It's a smart move for the Steelers who absolutely need quarterback competition behind Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers offense was unwatchable after Big Ben's elbow injury.

RELATED: Jacksonville Jaguars
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sep 6, 2020, 12:45 PM ET
Hopefully Duck Hodges is waived in a corresponding move.
I guess Dobbs could simulate Lamar Jackson during Ravens' weeks

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Post by 955876 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Maybe the new QB coach can take Dobbs physical tools and mold at the least a better #3 than Hodges

At least defensively teams would have to account for passes longer than 10 yards
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:11 pm

And it is being reported they picked up Sean Davis as well.
Getting Dobbs back was a smart move.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:35 pm

955876 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:45 pm
Maybe the new QB coach can take Dobbs physical tools and mold at the least a better #3 than Hodges

At least defensively teams would have to account for passes longer than 10 yards
BINGO.

I feel bad for Duck.

Loved that kid, but he proved as the season rolled along that the NFL simply wasn't in the cards for him long term.

It sucks too. You give Duck Josh Rosen's arm and Duck is a fucking Pro Bowler.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 am

I have to wonder if they aren't done adding former Steelers.

I saw Anthony Chickillo was cut as well, might he be signed to the practice squad too?

Stallworth16

Post by Stallworth16 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 am

As the only guy on this board who was saying they should not have traded Dobbs, I have to admit I never expected Dobbs to play for the Steelers again.

Duck is a good guy and easy to root for because he’s an underdog and a competitor. However I do think Dobbs has more to offer with his arm and running ability. But I’m not naive to Dobbs accuracy problems so hoping for the best.

What’s bugging me now is the Chipotle that I get takeout from 5 days a week is closing.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:51 am

Scunge wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 am
I have to wonder if they aren't done adding former Steelers.

I saw Anthony Chickillo was cut as well, might he be signed to the practice squad too?
Chickillo is on the Saints practice squad according to NFL.com

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:11 pm

955876 wrote:

Best in mind Duck was more accurate on passes over 10 yards than Rudolph was.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Stallworth16 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 am
As the only guy on this board who was saying they should not have traded Dobbs, I have to admit I never expected Dobbs to play for the Steelers again.

Duck is a good guy and easy to root for because he’s an underdog and a competitor. However I do think Dobbs has more to offer with his arm and running ability. But I’m not naive to Dobbs accuracy problems so hoping for the best.

What’s bugging me now is the Chipotle that I get takeout from 5 days a week is closing.
Is that franchise store #1 on Pearl St? Wow.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:01 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:11 pm
955876 wrote:

Best in mind Duck was more accurate on passes over 10 yards than Rudolph was.
After that hit from Earl Thomas, I likely would have been more accurate than Rudolph was over 10 yards.

He looked and played like a different guy and really only once, after that hit, was Rudolph effective and that was in the Rams game.

That said, Rudolph played pretty well before Earl Thomas and the Steelers are hoping he can get back to that level and beyond this season.

They saw enough from Duck late last season, culminating in one of the worst performances ever given by a Steelers QB in a football game vs. the Ravens.

Like Switzer, Duck probably already knows it’s time to find a new line of work.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Both of them were broken mentally by the end of season.

You think the one with serious mechanical issues will bounce back, I think the one with below average arm but above average moxie will bounce back.

That’s what makes horse racing.

Stallworth16

Post by Stallworth16 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah B2B it is the Chipotle right on Pearl. And they have been doing a ton of business during covid. They are constantly busy. I suspect the decision was made by one suit as part of a larger cost cutting move.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 pm

That it easily the best Chipotle in the world—the others have deteriorated to being inedible. I think the whole chain is going under.

For a long time, the founder of Chipotle managed that location and the chef who created the recipes was the head chef at that location. Drags.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:42 pm

You think the one with serious mechanical issues will bounce back, I think the one with below average arm but above average moxie will bounce back.

Fair enough, but one of them will attempt to bounce back as a Steeler, because they kept him around to be Ben's back-up.

The other guy may get another chance somewhere (that's far from guaranteed) but it's telling the Steelers had seen enough.

I mean...c'mon. They saw Duck finish the season and all through training camp and said; "Yeah...no."

I like the kid, but his limitations are simply too much at this level. His limitations are such that he literally CANNOT be successful long term.

It's basically like the Steelers signing a one-legged RB. Dude might hop really fast and make some yards a few times, but in the end....he's still a one-legged RB.

Duck is a Duck without the ability to "wing it", if you will and the Steelers, without a doubt, got that message.

They brought back Josh Dobbs and cut Duck for God's sake.

That should tell you everything you need to know right there.

Harvey Woodlawn

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:25 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Fair enough, but one of them will attempt to bounce back as a Steeler, because they kept him around to be Ben's back-up.

The other guy may get another chance somewhere (that's far from guaranteed) but it's telling the Steelers had seen enough.

I mean...c'mon. They saw Duck finish the season and all through training camp and said; "Yeah...no."
They kept Duck and made the move after he made the team so he did not get cut from camp. If Jacksonville isn't trying to tank and move all the talent they have away Duck would still be the number 3 on the chart.

They brought back Josh Dobbs and cut Duck for God's sake.

That should tell you everything you need to know right there.
I think a major factor was his familiarity with the team and the system. He also has the ability to run which makes it possible to use him as a simulation for running QB's (Jackson) without having to sign a guy for one week and then do it again later in the year like they did last season. Putting him on PS would leave him likely to be poached by a team that gets a QB injured. Duck has much less of a chance of that happening.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 am

stillthere wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:25 pm
They kept Duck and made the move after he made the team so he did not get cut from camp. If Jacksonville isn't trying to tank and move all the talent they have away Duck would still be the number 3 on the chart.
I'm not even sure how to respond.

The Steelers cut Duck in favor of Josh Dobbs.

Josh Dobbs had been cut by Jacksonville. They didn't cut Josh Dobbs because they're trying to lose. They cut Josh Dobbs because he isn't accurate enough to play QB in the NFL.

I am not a Josh Dobbs fan and during last preseason, I was very clear I wanted Duck to take Dobbs' job and was excited when he did.

Then....I watched Duck play regular season NFL football and for a very short time, I was somewhat impressed. Thought the kid might have a future.

But slowly...as teams got tape on Duck and they started to dare him to throw downfield........things went downhill big time.

They weren't giving Duck easy 10-15 yard throws anymore. They weren't letting him get out of the pocket.

Duck made me wish Mason was back under center and Mason really played bad at times last year. Most of the year but Mason has enough arm to make NFL throws down the field. Duck's passes take FOREVER to get there.

So.....while I'm not thrilled Dobbs is back, at least he has NFL level arm strength and his legs are a SERIOUS weapon so why not.

At least Dobbs has two NFL level weapons in his arsenal. Whether he can use them effectively is another story, but it's worth a gamble.

Maybe the Steelers can use Dobbs situationally.

Harvey Woodlawn

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha and the Duck is back in the Burgh!

Signed to the practice squad.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 am

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 am
Hahahahahahahahahaha and the Duck is back in the Burgh!

Signed to the practice squad.
:lol:

Nice kid and I'm happy for him, but Dobbs has his gig.

.....and if I'm Duck I do everything in my power to add some arm strength and fast.

Folks are moved on and off the practice squad everyday.

Harvey Woodlawn

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 am

Dobbs was waived from Jacksonville think about that. I glad Duck back on the Ps think he did ok for a camp tryout that was not supposed to make the team never mind start. a game.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 am

The guy that i wanted the steelers to pick up was C/G Patrick Morris who we lost to denver

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 am

They also signed SS Sean Davis. Very surprised and also curious why no one is talking about it?
09/06 Signed QB Josh Dobbs and S Sean Davis; released QB Devlin Hodges and S Curtis Riley

ALSO

09/07 Sign P Dustin Colquitt; released P Jordan Berry https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:52 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 am
They also signed SS Sean Davis. Very surprised and also curious why no one is talking about it?
09/06 Signed QB Josh Dobbs and S Sean Davis; released QB Devlin Hodges and S Curtis Riley

ALSO

09/07 Sign P Dustin Colquitt; released P Jordan Berry https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/
Davis is a perfect signing. probably vet minimum deal (He already got 2 million from DC). Kid can play at least 3 positions on this D and already knows most of the players around him and the scheme, terminology, the city, & the routine. All of these are good things.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:00 am

I've been out of touch lately with the football stuff. Haven't paid no attention to it with all the other events going on. Switzer was cut... I bet people were doing cartwheels and backflips in here... lol.

I saw the davis signing and to me that means more than the Dobbs signing or the switzer cut. Davis can play either Safety and is an outstanding ST'er. Solid signing.

Wonder what made them pull the trigger on Colquitt? Berry had been playing better? Just hope Colquitt's leg doesn't quit. I saw we have Corliss Waitman on the PS too. Interesting roster this year...
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:11 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:00 am
I've been out of touch lately with the football stuff. Haven't paid no attention to it with all the other events going on. Switzer was cut... I bet people were doing cartwheels and backflips in here... lol.

I saw the davis signing and to me that means more than the Dobbs signing or the switzer cut. Davis can play either Safety and is an outstanding ST'er. Solid signing.

Wonder what made them pull the trigger on Colquitt? Berry had been playing better? Just hope Colquitt's leg doesn't quit. I saw we have Corliss Waitman on the PS too. Interesting roster this year...
Waitman can kick and punt so if either Colquitt or Boswell is CV19 then you have 1 player that can perform both duties.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic