Steelers need to find a Tackle and Maybe G

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelmann58

Steelers need to find a Tackle and Maybe G

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:24 am

Looks like Banner is gone so what Guys are out there for the steelers to look at?
also is Wiz is out i would hope they look to Denver PS and bring back Patrick Morris

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am

Dulac is reporting that Wisnewski has a torn pec.

What's the deal with DeCastro?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 am

Pabst wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am
Dulac is reporting that Wisnewski has a torn pec.

What's the deal with DeCastro?
A knee issue.

Have never heard how serious.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:36 am

sign Morris g/c from den PS

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:38 am

Dotson should be able to step in until DD is back. Bigger question in my mind is Tackle depth.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:40 am

Hopefully DeCastro comes back this week. Kick Feiler back to RT and move the rookie Dotson to LG (if news on Wiz is accurate).

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 am

Chuks is the RT. Maybe they bring Derwin Gray up from the practice squad.
The interior depends on DD. If he’s ready, they don’t need to make a move. Dotson and Hausenhooferfroofer :mrgreen: are the backups.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am

Jobu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 am
The interior depends on DD. If he’s ready, they don’t need to make a move. Dotson and Hausenhooferfroofer :mrgreen: are the backups.
I know what you are saying but the best 5 should be out there. So I guess it depends on if Dotson is better at guard than Chuks is at tackle.

If Chuks is better at tackle than the rookie then it will just be next man up. If Dotson is better at guard than Chuks at tackle then you have to make 2 moves Feiler and Dotson.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:22 am

stillthere wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am
Jobu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 am
I know what you are saying but the best 5 should be out there. So I guess it depends on if Dotson is better at guard than Chuks is at tackle.

If Chuks is better at tackle than the rookie then it will just be next man up. If Dotson is better at guard than Chuks at tackle then you have to make 2 moves Feiler and Dotson.
I get what you’re saying, but I’m of the mind that two moves to solve one problem is never a good idea, unless the difference is huge. Considering that Chuks battled Banner for the RT job down to the last week and Dotson is just a rookie, it’s hard to imagine Dotson being that much better right now. But that just my 2 cents.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 am

South side going to have some visitors tomorrow

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:07 pm

They may not sign anybody.

They did have Center/Guard J C Hassenauer make the 53 man roster, they did keep 9 O-linemen this year which was more than usual. Then they have three Tackles on the practice squad, last year's 7th round pick Derwin Gray, Anthony Coyle who has been a practice squad player for a number of year, was a RT in college and recently played in the XFL as a guard, and Jarron Jones who also like Coyle has made the rounds as a practice squad player and played in the XFL as well.

So, the Steelers had 12 offensive linemen in their 69 man roster.

Yeah, it would suck if they lose one or both of Wisniewski and Banner but they still have 10 offensive linemen to fall back on, 3 that are already on the PS and have been in the system, went through training camp.

J C Hassenauer can be the C/G backup and Derwin Gray can be called up to be the 3rd tackle. Then maybe they sign somebody to the practice squad to replace Gray.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Injuries aside that crew last night was bad. After 1 game clearly their biggest area of weakness. Pouncey with another bad shot gun snap. Banner was bad, slow and stiff and unathletic. Chucks cant be worse??? This is a serious issue, mediocre run game means teams coming hard at an old and maybe fragile QB. No time for pass patterns to develop. If not fixed fast this will be our downfall. Remember who the back up QB is (as an aside hate seeing Dalton as backup in Dallas and we have scrubs..... again)

I am extremely concerned, can you tell :o

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 pm

I understand where you are coming from Stinger, but I almost expected the O-line to need time to gel and most certainly with DeCastro out for the first game.

Think about it, you had LG Foster in between Big Al and Pouncey for how many years? And now you have Feiler inserted as the new LG. Then you have Banner starting at Feiler's old spot, RT, but he can't even rely on having DeCastro at RG, instead he has Wisniewski. That is a lot of new faces, shuffling of the deck along that offensive line with no preseason games to iron things out.

I expect some positions and position groups to be rough the first 2 or 3 games.

Also, the Giants D-line is not some crappy unit. Leonard Williams was a high first round pick, Dalvin Thompson was a 2nd round pick, Dexter Lawrence was a 1st round pick, they have backups that were 2nd and 3rd round picks in Austin Johnson and BJ Hill. That might just be one of the better defensive lines we will face all year.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Banner looked too slow to me. We might be better off long term this season with Chuks at RT.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:13 pm

If its Dotson at RG and Chucks at RT, we know where the Broncos will be game planning to attack.

Have to game plan to help these guys. More TE on right side.
RB protections to the right, etc.
Attack the right side of the defensive line / OLB with plays to that side to keep them from pinning back their ears.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Damn.
Attachments
52942652-3C98-40B5-9BBC-9974EE6D7D83.jpeg
52942652-3C98-40B5-9BBC-9974EE6D7D83.jpeg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 pm
Damn.
Gotta feel for that dude. You finally get your shot and your knee pops in your first game?
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm

Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 pm
I understand where you are coming from Stinger, but I almost expected the O-line to need time to gel and most certainly with DeCastro out for the first game.

Think about it, you had LG Foster in between Big Al and Pouncey for how many years? And now you have Feiler inserted as the new LG. Then you have Banner starting at Feiler's old spot, RT, but he can't even rely on having DeCastro at RG, instead he has Wisniewski. That is a lot of new faces, shuffling of the deck along that offensive line with no preseason games to iron things out.

I expect some positions and position groups to be rough the first 2 or 3 games.

Also, the Giants D-line is not some crappy unit. Leonard Williams was a high first round pick, Dalvin Thompson was a 2nd round pick, Dexter Lawrence was a 1st round pick, they have backups that were 2nd and 3rd round picks in Austin Johnson and BJ Hill. That might just be one of the better defensive lines we will face all year.
The left tackle looks really shaky too. He has lost his ability to anchor consistently and is vulnerable to his outside as well. We need a real infusion of talent into the O line ( 2 tackles and 1 center). Fingers tightly crossed. I am guardedly optimistic Chucks can be serviceable, but he did get beat out, apparently, by a very mediocre looking Banner???

Post by 955876 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

My only concern coming into season in terms of positional groups (aside from dumpster fire that is the back-up QB room) was the oline.

I get they haven’t had time to gel but let’s face it, this is a group with multiple weak spots.

And while we might have 3 highly capable OG candidates, the OT and center positions are a bit bleak.

Miss MM more than ever.

Hopefully they get this sorted and avoid more injuries.

Oline better be an early priority next draft.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Too bad about Banner.
Maybe some pre-season games would have put his knees into a better frame of mind.
Maybe the ACl was gonna go regardless, that is a lot of height and body putting stress on those knees?

I will assume they will bring up Derwin Grey or one of the other OT's on the practice squad.
We need a real infusion of talent into the O line ( 2 tackles and 1 center)
Yup. Looking at protecting Ben and getting 2-3-4 more years from him, means making sure his body guards are lethal.

C - Pouncey, 31............ will be 32 and going into the last year of his contract in 2021.
$14.5 million cap hit in 2021. $8 million salary, .........$6.5 dead cap.
He had a low snapping problem all last year and again last night on at least one snap. Will be 33 going into FA.
No way can we extend him at $10-12 per year.

LT - Villy, 31......... is in last year of contract. $8.4 cap hit this year.
32 going into FA, he may see a PS friendly offer. Given our depth and no LT starter behind him ready for 2021, he may be back.

RG - Decastro, 30..........will 31 and going into his final year of contract with a $14.3 cap hit for 2021

I can not see the PS going into 2021 with both MP and DD over $14 million cap hits. One of them will get extended.

LG - Feiler, 28 will be an UFA at the end of this year. At $3.3 million, if he has a very good year, he will command a nice pay day.

RT- Chucks, 23, unproven and UFA after 2021.

G - Dotson, 23, we will see what he has if he starts a few games for DD.

2021 draft certainly screams OL. Could LT be a 1st round option?

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

I have no worries on the offense other than the front line. BR seems to be back to his old self, and his throws were crisp and on target, and had the light touch when necessary. Some of those throws were perfectly placed. I recall the Ebron catch - a bit high and away from the defender where only Ebron could get it. In stride. Back shoulder throws were on the money.

The only issue is giving him time to set and throw. The o line is in deep shit now with injuries to two key players. I realize the giants front seven isn't chopped liver, and the Oline had to shake off rust, but shit. They were awful for the entire first QTR, and took an entire half to remember what NFL game speed/ physicality was like.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Looks like they are bringing back Gerald Hawkins.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm
This is probably no biggie, but do they ever think outside the box? (Sign someone who hasn’t been with the organization before)

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
This is probably no biggie, but do they ever think outside the box? (Sign someone who hasn’t been with the organization before)
Hard to do that when your motto is "they will have to jump on a moving train." :roll:

Unfortunately, Tomlin, like many unimaginative coaches, will go with what is comfortable.
Last edited by DP39 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Haven't rewatched the game but Feiler did stand out to me as well. I think b2b is right in that he has the tools to develop into a pro bowl caliber guard. He certainly is a big upgrade(physically) over Foster.

I would hate to lose a player like that coming into his prime.
Then you have Pouncey who looks like the end is coming. Last night on an early screen to Conner Pouncey struggled to get to his spot and when he did his block attempt was shit. He used to excel at that. He doesn't get to the second level like he used to and that was one of his best qualities.

Now, with a year left on his deal I'm sure the Steelers will keep him around because that is what they do even. Not sure how cutting him frees up money to keep Feiler but if they can, please make it happen.
I doubt it happens.

If Hawkins is healthy it would be a first in his Steeler tenure.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Hard to do that when your motto is "they will have to jump on a movie train." :roll:

Unfortunately, Tomlin, like many unimaginative coaches, will go with what is comfortable.
A quick look at their depth chart shows that they've plucked plenty of talent from other organizations.

Villy was signed as a DE off the Eagles' practice squad.

Banner was picked up after being waived by 3 teams in 2 years.

Matt Feiler was a waiver claim from the Texans.

Vance McDonald was acquired for peanuts.

Maybe they just need immediate depth and it's best to go with a sure thing? Now's not the time to go mining for a future diamond in the rough - they need someone who can step in immediately. Maybe the answer isn't that the Steelers are afraid to take a risk....Maybe it's that there aren't a whole lot of players on the street (or practice squads) that can step in and contribute?

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:15 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 pm
Damn.
Gotta feel for that dude. You finally get your shot and your knee pops in your first game?
Was a bit heartbreaking to see him crying on the sideline. This was his shot -- he didn't blow it, but a freak accident happened. Terrible.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Don't count out Jarron Jones as the swing tackle. He showed pretty well in the XFL. He has the tools to be a good fill-in.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On August 31, 2019, Hawkins was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers along with the Steelers' seventh round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft in exchange for the Buccaneers' sixth round pick in the 2021 draft.[13]

Houston Texans
On August 10, 2020, Hawkins was signed by the Houston Texans.[14] He was waived on September 5, 2020 and signed to the practice squad the next day.[15][16]

Pittsburgh Steelers(Second Stint)
The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Hawkins off of the Houston Texans practice squad on September 15, 2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerald_Hawkins

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 pm

Pouncey will likely be here till Ben retires. He's your prime extension candidate between him and DD. Watching play might tell you otherwise, but I'd bet that's how it'll go. Great problem to have with the young depth at OG, but wow is OT looking a mess. Chip, chip and chip again on Chubb and Co. next weekend, and thank your stars Von Miller is out.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic