Steelers need to find a Tackle and Maybe G

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stinger8

Re: Steelers need to find a Tackle and Maybe G

Post by stinger8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm
Too bad about Banner.
Maybe some pre-season games would have put his knees into a better frame of mind.
Maybe the ACl was gonna go regardless, that is a lot of height and body putting stress on those knees?

I will assume they will bring up Derwin Grey or one of the other OT's on the practice squad.
We need a real infusion of talent into the O line ( 2 tackles and 1 center)
Yup. Looking at protecting Ben and getting 2-3-4 more years from him, means making sure his body guards are lethal.

C - Pouncey, 31............ will be 32 and going into the last year of his contract in 2021.
$14.5 million cap hit in 2021. $8 million salary, .........$6.5 dead cap.
He had a low snapping problem all last year and again last night on at least one snap. Will be 33 going into FA.
No way can we extend him at $10-12 per year.

LT - Villy, 31......... is in last year of contract. $8.4 cap hit this year.
32 going into FA, he may see a PS friendly offer. Given our depth and no LT starter behind him ready for 2021, he may be back.

RG - Decastro, 30..........will 31 and going into his final year of contract with a $14.3 cap hit for 2021

I can not see the PS going into 2021 with both MP and DD over $14 million cap hits. One of them will get extended.

LG - Feiler, 28 will be an UFA at the end of this year. At $3.3 million, if he has a very good year, he will command a nice pay day.

RT- Chucks, 23, unproven and UFA after 2021.

G - Dotson, 23, we will see what he has if he starts a few games for DD.

2021 draft certainly screams OL. Could LT be a 1st round option?
Nice analysis Stosh I support the best player available attitude BUT I would love it if next draft went any combo of Offensive tackle, guard and DT (nose tackle). Give me a stud O tackle followed by a stud DT and guard etc and that is what we need badly. Also cant whiff on anybody ;)

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm
DP39 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm

This is probably no biggie, but do they ever think outside the box? (Sign someone who hasn’t been with the organization before)
Hard to do that when your motto is "they will have to jump on a movie train." :roll:

Unfortunately, Tomlin, like many unimaginative coaches, will go with what is comfortable.
A quick look at their depth chart shows that they've plucked plenty of talent from other organizations.

Villy was signed as a DE off the Eagles' practice squad.

Banner was picked up after being waived by 3 teams in 2 years.

Matt Feiler was a waiver claim from the Texans.

Vance McDonald was acquired for peanuts.

Maybe they just need immediate depth and it's best to go with a sure thing? Now's not the time to go mining for a future diamond in the rough - they need someone who can step in immediately. Maybe the answer isn't that the Steelers are afraid to take a risk....Maybe it's that there aren't a whole lot of players on the street (or practice squads) that can step in and contribute?
I guess I was referring to getting someone during the season....thus the moving train comment. Looks like Tomlin and Co. just answered the question by signing our old pal, Hawkins.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm
DP39 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Hard to do that when your motto is "they will have to jump on a movie train." :roll:

Unfortunately, Tomlin, like many unimaginative coaches, will go with what is comfortable.
A quick look at their depth chart shows that they've plucked plenty of talent from other organizations.

Villy was signed as a DE off the Eagles' practice squad.

Banner was picked up after being waived by 3 teams in 2 years.

Matt Feiler was a waiver claim from the Texans.

Vance McDonald was acquired for peanuts.

Maybe they just need immediate depth and it's best to go with a sure thing? Now's not the time to go mining for a future diamond in the rough - they need someone who can step in immediately. Maybe the answer isn't that the Steelers are afraid to take a risk....Maybe it's that there aren't a whole lot of players on the street (or practice squads) that can step in and contribute?
I guess I was referring to getting someone during the season....thus the moving train comment. Looks like Tomlin and Co. just answered the question by signing our old pal, Hawkins.
Yeah...me too.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:36 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:15 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 pm
Damn.
Gotta feel for that dude. You finally get your shot and your knee pops in your first game?
Was a bit heartbreaking to see him crying on the sideline. This was his shot -- he didn't blow it, but a freak accident happened. Terrible.
Felt for him. Been there. Said to the wife and kid he’s done. It’ll be ACL. They said how do you know before he has any tests. I replied watching and doing it twice myself I would of bet on it. Then, seeing him bawling I said he knows too. Just horrible.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 am

it looks like Hawkins is not signed.
I would thought maybe they bring back Patrick Morris for that C/G position

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 am

Despite an opener that otherwise wildly exceeded what we've come to expect, that's tough losing two OL. Depth is extra-critical this year and to get hit with that Wk1 is tough.

Perhaps Wisniewski can come back late in the year. Pectoral tears are tough, but it depends on the degree of the tear. The plus side here is that we're actually getting the starter Decastro back this week or next.

And losing Banner sucks, but it sounds like RT was basically a dead heat between him and Chuks.

So it's crazy that we lost two OL that started that game, but the OL could actually be better going forward. Wis and Banner were getting abused most of the game. It's Wk1 and a lot of that could be chemistry, but I was not impressed by those two at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 am

Is Pouncey as bad as we think?

It seems like he averages a bad snap a game some games he has 2-3. I just think the snap to Ben, especially, on the timing routes like yesterday, is way more important than Pouncey getting a quick jump to hold a DL for a .5 seconds. Aka there really is no excuse for the bad snaps. They can be drive killers that don’t show on the stats.

Is this an over exaggeration or is there some red meat here?

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 am

Pouncey is most definitely a declining player, but one we're probably going to have to live with for the rest of the Ben era.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:57 am

Ice wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 am
Pouncey is most definitely a declining player, but one we're probably going to have to live with for the rest of the Ben era.
I hope Ben is willing to play a few more years after Pouncey is gone. You could make a case this should be his last year, but his cap hit is too much. Still, 2021 should be his last year unless he's willing to play for a lot less (like $5M per year instead of $10M).

That said, that C2 turned out to be a pretty fair deal for PIT. He'll only be 33 in 2022, and Ben will be 40. I think they each play 3-5 more years and retire together.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am

I think the last line of your post is dead accurate, and it would indeed be nice if MP took a bit of a discount (along with Ben, honestly) to make it so.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm

Got to sign Watt and that will cost $30M per year. They are going to have to lose some players next season
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm

jebrick wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm
Got to sign Watt and that will cost $30M per year. They are going to have to lose some players next season
Good news is they have Watt under control for the next 2 seasons. He makes $10m next year then they can tag him.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:26 pm

And who- knows with the Banner and Chucks camp battle,
Maybe Tomlin gave Banner the nod for his work last year as the eligible OT coming in to the game, which was pretty often. And that he felt Banner would have been more game ready of the two, given no preseason games.

And maybe, hopefully, Chucks is actually the better option.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:26 pm
And who- knows with the Banner and Chucks camp battle,
Maybe Tomlin gave Banner the nod for his work last year as the eligible OT coming in to the game, which was pretty often. And that he felt Banner would have been more game ready of the two, given no preseason games.

And maybe, hopefully, Chucks is actually the better option.
Chuks did start over Banner in the Rams game last season. I woud assume Chuk's ability to play LT factored into the decision to start Banner at RT.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Banner got the job because of his activity on social media...no doubt in my mind!

:mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Anyone else think it's the right time to make another big trade? Maybe after a few teams realize they are garbage after the first 2 or 3 games, a first round pick for one of their starting linemen looks good. Steelers trading a first round pick is definitely surprising. Can it happen 2 years in a row?
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic