Game Ball - Bud Dupree

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stillthere

Game Ball - Bud Dupree

Post by stillthere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:42 am

That guy was exactly what the team needed all game long. He was great against the run and giving Danny Dimes solid pressure all game long. The entire D is going to be really fun to watch this year.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:44 am

Bud was a freakin’ beast!
He was what Troy would’ve looked like if he was a LB. ;)
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am

Honestly, as great as TJ is.....Dupree is every bit as good.

Going to have to re-sign him. That will probably mean bye-bye to JuJu, but there's no comparing the impact and replace-ability.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 am

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am

Going to have to re-sign him. That will probably mean bye-bye to JuJu, but there's no comparing the impact and replace-ability.
Ola and Highsmith made some noise as well. It is a nice problem to have when you have 4 guys that apparently can all play OLB and disrupt the offensive backfield. Fowler and Herbie talked about it late in the game.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:57 am

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am

did you see juju during BR’s interview? Juju likes BR and the Steelers
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 am

stillthere wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 am
Ola and Highsmith made some noise as well. It is a nice problem to have when you have 4 guys that apparently can all play OLB and disrupt the offensive backfield. Fowler and Herbie talked about it late in the game.
True.

But Dupree's performance tonight earns a place alongside some legendary MNF games from James Harrison and Greg Lloyd.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 am

I was just looking at the game stats, and Ola had only 1 tackle. Sure seemed like he had more, but his impact doesn’t show on the stat sheet.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 am

You don’t let young disruptive edge players go. Ever. Pay the man.

Middling RBs and #2 WRs can be much more easily replaced.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 am

Bud was great tonight, but many of those plays came unblocked or against TEs. I would have liked to seem him do a bit better against the rookie LT in one on one match ups, but I'm nitpicking. He's never going to be a pass rushing technician with his hands, but he's gotten a lot better at bending and getting around the edge as his career has progressed. I still would not break the bank for him.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 am

franco32 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 am
Bud was great tonight, but many of those plays came unblocked or against TEs. I would have liked to seem him do a bit better against the rookie LT in one on one match ups, but I'm nitpicking. He's never going to be a pass rushing technician with his hands, but he's gotten a lot better at bending and getting around the edge as his career has progressed. I still would not break the bank for him.
He looked like he lost some weight too, which seemed to make him quick as hell tonight. You could see his cheek bones in the one close up. They said 270 Lbs...he was looking like 250 or at least moving like 250.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 am

The fumble recovery by JuJu was huge too. I’d give him a game ball for that play alone.
If we would have given the ball back after that meat grinder 19 play drive, it may have been curtains for the game.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 am
The fumble recovery by JuJu was huge too. I’d give him a game ball for that play alone.
If we would have given the ball back after that meat grinder 19 play drive, it may have been curtains for the game.
JuJu played well all night I thought as well but Bud was popping off the screen. Also give out as many game balls as you need. Snell had a game (sans the strip). Vince was flashing around the field. Cam with the sweet interception. Bush making tackles all over the place. Ben once he put some oil on the elbow was fun to watch. Claypool with the big catch and the first down run to seal the game and being smart enough to slide and give up yards to keep the clock moving.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:51 am

stillthere wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 am
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 am
JuJu played well all night I thought as well but Bud was popping off the screen. Also give out as many game balls as you need. Snell had a game (sans the strip). Vince was flashing around the field. Cam with the sweet interception. Bush making tackles all over the place. Ben once he put some oil on the elbow was fun to watch. Claypool with the big catch and the first down run to seal the game and being smart enough to slide and give up yards to keep the clock moving.
Don’t forget Watt looking like James Harrison getting abused by the refs: holds and offensive tackle false starts not getting called. The 1.21 GigaWatts is too much for opposing offenses.

Agree though...overall it was a classic performance by Bud on MNF.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Some really great things to see from both Watt and Dupree in last night's game, but let us give a shout out to Tomlin/Butler for finally going with a real rotation and keeping Watt and Dupree fresh.

They did not just give them breathers at the end of the game, but from the first drive of the game. When Ola was out there on the first drive for Watt I at first was scared that Watt had been injured.

The Defense was out there for 68 snaps, but Dupree had 58 snaps (85%) and Watt only 57 snaps (84%). Both only had 2 special teams snaps.

Olay Adeniyi had 11 snaps (16%) on defense and 18 snaps on special teams (69%).
Alex Highsmith had 10 snaps (15%) on defense and 18 snaps on special teams (69%).

Both of those backup OLBs played well I thought and both might have had sacks last night against a less mobile, less elusive QB. Jones really surprised me in that regard.

There was a real plan in shaving off the snaps of both starting OLBs and both starting DEs too.

Heyward was only on the field for 50 snaps (74%) and Tuitt for 55 snaps (81%). Buggs (17 snaps) and Wormley (9 snaps) had a combined 26 snaps in relief of the starting duo.

Anyway, really, really love that Tomlin/Butler have adopted this approach. Giving quality snaps to the backups gets them experienced and keeps your starters fresh for the entire game and hopefully keeps them healthy for the entire season.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 am
stillthere wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 am
True.

But Dupree's performance tonight earns a place alongside some legendary MNF games from James Harrison and Greg Lloyd.
I have been the biggest Bud (Bud the dud) detractor here and he looked great last night. I will gladly eat crow, but to put him in the conversation with those 2 all time greats is a stretch. Stat line 3 tackles, no sacks, yes a huge pass deflection. As the great philosopher Quick Draw McGraw would sa "hooooooold on there Babalouie"

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Great game for Bud. He's the perfect type of player to benefit from playing opposite Watt. It will be hard for opposing offenses to account for both of them. I expect to see Watt and Dupree alternate great statistical performances this year.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

19 play drive and to come up with that play is incredible. That's a nod to the entire defense really. They were aggressive that entire drive, but Giants countered perfectly...that is until they couldn't hold off the pressure anymore.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Well, sometimes stat lines can be very deceiving, last night's game was a perfect example. I read one account where they said Watt had a quiet game, no impact??

Are you serious?? Watt made the play of the game if you ask me. Early on, Ben and the offense were doing their best impression of the Rudolph/Hodges offense from last year.

Giants score on that 41 yard pass play, we are down 10-3, the Giants kick off to us and we go 3 and out and punt the ball right back to them in response. Watt says enough of this shit, he intercepts Jones on the very first play of this drive and the Steelers offense comes out at the Giants 36 yards line. Ben and the offense get rolling and score on a TD to Washington.

Yes, yes, the Dupree deflection, Heyward interception was nice, but for me what Watt did was the turning point of the game. It is almost like Watt is able to will himself into making these game changing plays with such regularity, that fans have come to take it for granted or overlook it. That Watt interception woke the offense up, gave them the jumpstart it desperately needed.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Well, sometimes stat lines can be very deceiving, last night's game was a perfect example. I read one account where they said Watt had a quiet game, no impact??

Are you serious?? Watt made the play of the game if you ask me. Early on, Ben and the offense were doing their best impression of the Rudolph/Hodges offense from last year.

Giants score on that 41 yard pass play, we are down 10-3, the Giants kick off to us and we go 3 and out and punt the ball right back to them in response. Watt says enough of this shit, he intercepts Jones on the very first play of this drive and the Steelers offense comes out at the Giants 36 yards line. Ben and the offense get rolling and score on a TD to Washington.

Yes, yes, the Dupree deflection, Heyward interception was nice, but for me what Watt did was the turning point of the game. It is almost like Watt is able to will himself into making these game changing plays with such regularity, that fans have come to take it for granted or overlook it. That Watt interception woke the offense up, gave them the jumpstart it desperately needed.
I agree. Watt's interception was the real turning point of the game.

And, for those here that thought Jones was JAG, trust me, I've watched almost everyone of his Duke (and most Giants) games and he's the real deal. He may not have the elite arm of someone like Ben or Stafford, but he's extremely smart, more athletic than most realize, has improved his arm strength and is going to work almost as hard as Peyton Manning -- his mentor, along with Eli and David Cutcliffe -- at becoming great. He will quietly outwork most all of his peers.

Bud showed his elite speed (he's thinking less and less now) last night, although some of his success came unblocked. The guy that showed me the biggest jump from last year was Snell. He looked much quicker and decisive. His vision improved greatly too. As much as I can't stand Tomlin as an X and O coach (and game/clock manager) he really resonates in his challenging of some players and I think Snell is a perfect example. If McFarland is humble enough, I can see him reacting to Tomlin's "coaching" as well.

Lastly, I don't think Edmunds is ever going to amount to more than a straightline speed Safety. He's terrible (I mean awful) at his COD and attacks everything a foot too high. He either can't or refuses to sink his hips to form-tackle. It's a shame, because he's the weakest link on a great D (that, and the rare occasion Vince has to cover).

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:03 pm

My thoughts on Dupree on a couple of those plays behind the LOS were that he came thru unblocked. There are many role players in this league that can do that.

He seems solid though and his speed is an asset. He pairs up nicely with Watt.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Some really great things to see from both Watt and Dupree in last night's game, but let us give a shout out to Tomlin/Butler for finally going with a real rotation and keeping Watt and Dupree fresh.

They did not just give them breathers at the end of the game, but from the first drive of the game. When Ola was out there on the first drive for Watt I at first was scared that Watt had been injured.

The Defense was out there for 68 snaps, but Dupree had 58 snaps (85%) and Watt only 57 snaps (84%). Both only had 2 special teams snaps.

Olay Adeniyi had 11 snaps (16%) on defense and 18 snaps on special teams (69%).
Alex Highsmith had 10 snaps (15%) on defense and 18 snaps on special teams (69%).

Both of those backup OLBs played well I thought and both might have had sacks last night against a less mobile, less elusive QB. Jones really surprised me in that regard.

There was a real plan in shaving off the snaps of both starting OLBs and both starting DEs too.

Heyward was only on the field for 50 snaps (74%) and Tuitt for 55 snaps (81%). Buggs (17 snaps) and Wormley (9 snaps) had a combined 26 snaps in relief of the starting duo.

Anyway, really, really love that Tomlin/Butler have adopted this approach. Giving quality snaps to the backups gets them experienced and keeps your starters fresh for the entire game and hopefully keeps them healthy for the entire season.
Been on the same page with making sure the starters do not get over worked. Especially early in the season with no pre-season games.
Noticed Watt off the field 4-5 plays into that first drive as well.
Holding Cam and Tuit to less than 80% snaps would be ideal.

That's a good amount of snaps for Buggs.

That nice DL rotation is what kept the Giants run game and Barkley a non factor, consistently thru the 4th quarter.

I do not think Barkley will ever,............ ever have a game like that again.
15 carries, 6 yards. ( and he had 7 yards on one carry later in the game )

What is the least amount of yards a RB has ever had with 15 or more carries?
Is this a record?

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Reuben Frank
@RoobNBCS
Saquon ran 15 times for 6 yards.

That’s the 2nd-fewest yards in NFL history on 15 or more carries. Karim Abdul-Jabbar of the Dolphins was 15-for-5 against Denver in 1998.

LT’s 17-for-7 vs. the Eagles in 2005 is 5th-worst.
https://clutchpoints.com/giants-news-sa ... -steelers/

Karim should have stuck with the Sky-hook

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:26 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm
Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

I agree. Watt's interception was the real turning point of the game.

And, for those here that thought Jones was JAG, trust me, I've watched almost everyone of his Duke (and most Giants) games and he's the real deal. He may not have the elite arm of someone like Ben or Stafford, but he's extremely smart, more athletic than most realize, has improved his arm strength and is going to work almost as hard as Peyton Manning -- his mentor, along with Eli and David Cutcliffe -- at becoming great. He will quietly outwork most all of his peers.

Bud showed his elite speed (he's thinking less and less now) last night, although some of his success came unblocked. The guy that showed me the biggest jump from last year was Snell. He looked much quicker and decisive. His vision improved greatly too. As much as I can't stand Tomlin as an X and O coach (and game/clock manager) he really resonates in his challenging of some players and I think Snell is a perfect example. If McFarland is humble enough, I can see him reacting to Tomlin's "coaching" as well.

Lastly, I don't think Edmunds is ever going to amount to more than a straightline speed Safety. He's terrible (I mean awful) at his COD and attacks everything a foot too high. He either can't or refuses to sink his hips to form-tackle. It's a shame, because he's the weakest link on a great D (that, and the rare occasion Vince has to cover).

Agree 100% Edmunds just does not have "it". Not trying to cause a ruckus but Eric Reid sits at home and he would immediately take the D up another notch. Not sure of contract demands??. With him, the D would have no apparent weaknesses. Top grade experienced baller. That could give us a shot to beat the Ravens which right now I dont think is probable.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm

I dunno. I'm not as optimistic as most here. Yes. The defense was all over the place, applying pressure etc. Lots of defenders in the backfield and stifling barkley was a feat. However, the Watt and Heyward int's were a result of a 2nd year QB. The watt int was a dumbfuck throw, and heyward was the lucky recipient of a QB that underestimated dupree's speed. Any other experienced QB wouldn't have been in those situations at critical moments. That drive was gassing the D. I think it was luck, not skill. And from what I can tell, Jones is on his way to being a very decent QB. Steelers D was horrible on third downs. And I don't mean third and short. They went for long gainers. That shit cannot continue. If they would have scored instead of turning the ball over, it's a whole different game.

Dupree went unblocked on a number of plays, and I chalk that up to an O line that was a bit confused by the blitz packages and a TE matchup. But I'm not minimizing bud. He lost weight and is quicker, more explosive, and has improved his hand work. They need to keep both watt and dupree, and I think JuJu will take a friendly deal to keep the band together as long as possible. Steelers reward loyalty. He might not get his big payday when his contract is up, but the steelers will find a way/ try to find a way to keep him as well. I'm getting the feeling the locker room dynamic/ cohesiveness is on par with, 2009, imho.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm
...and I think JuJu will take a friendly deal to keep the band together as long as possible. Steelers reward loyalty. He might not get his big payday when his contract is up, but the steelers will find a way/ try to find a way to keep him as well.
I hope you're right, but guys leaving money on the table like that almost never happens. Unless something shocking happens like JuJu only being offered like a #2 receiver, I don't see PIT matching $15M+.

My guess is with DJ, Washington and Claypool PIT won't even insult JuJu with an offer.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
...and I think JuJu will take a friendly deal to keep the band together as long as possible. Steelers reward loyalty. He might not get his big payday when his contract is up, but the steelers will find a way/ try to find a way to keep him as well.
I hope you're right, but guys leaving money on the table like that almost never happens. Unless something shocking happens like JuJu only being offered like a #2 receiver, I don't see PIT matching $15M+.

My guess is with DJ, Washington and Claypool PIT won't even insult JuJu with an offer.
I guess we'll see after this season. JuJu is a known entity. He showed a lot of that last night. A critical third down and he came up with a catch with the defender all over him. DJ, and Washington have flashed, and Claypool - despite his acrobatics - is an unknown. I'm optimistic, but I can't ignore JuJu's love for the burgh and him wanting to play with a lock HOFmer, 2 time SB winning QB that looked like his arm was 5-10 years younger than it is.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:32 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
I dunno. I'm not as optimistic as most here. Yes. The defense was all over the place, applying pressure etc. Lots of defenders in the backfield and stifling barkley was a feat. However, the Watt and Heyward int's were a result of a 2nd year QB. The watt int was a dumbfuck throw, and heyward was the lucky recipient of a QB that underestimated dupree's speed. Any other experienced QB wouldn't have been in those situations at critical moments. That drive was gassing the D. I think it was luck, not skill. And from what I can tell, Jones is on his way to being a very decent QB. Steelers D was horrible on third downs. And I don't mean third and short. They went for long gainers. That shit cannot continue. If they would have scored instead of turning the ball over, it's a whole different game.

Dupree went unblocked on a number of plays, and I chalk that up to an O line that was a bit confused by the blitz packages and a TE matchup. But I'm not minimizing bud. He lost weight and is quicker, more explosive, and has improved his hand work. They need to keep both watt and dupree, and I think JuJu will take a friendly deal to keep the band together as long as possible. Steelers reward loyalty. He might not get his big payday when his contract is up, but the steelers will find a way/ try to find a way to keep him as well. I'm getting the feeling the locker room dynamic/ cohesiveness is on par with, 2009, imho.
Yeah -- D did not look as dominate last night. Some of that, I think, was the refs refusing to call holding penalties / false starts which really benefited the O line. Some of it was rust. Some of it was soft zone allowing for a quick pass. I think there is a lot of room for growth. With that said, the front seven were still frequently around the ball / ball carrier. So, not sounding the alarm quite yet but hope we improve with Denver.
Last edited by zeke5123 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

JuJu is really young. Like, overaged rookie young. Curious if the Steelers would be willing to offer like a 9 year deal to help spread the pay. Juju might be willing to take a "hometown" discount because of the longevity. The 9 years would help spread the signing bonus pain from a cap perspective. Because of Juju's youth, presumably he'd be productive for 7-8 years out of the 9.

Just wondering if there is something you can do there.

The other domino is Ben -- is he willing to extend for a couple of years without adding on much money?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm
JuJu is really young. Like, overaged rookie young. Curious if the Steelers would be willing to offer like a 9 year deal to help spread the pay. Juju might be willing to take a "hometown" discount because of the longevity. The 9 years would help spread the signing bonus pain from a cap perspective. Because of Juju's youth, presumably he'd be productive for 7-8 years out of the 9.

Just wondering if there is something you can do there.

The other domino is Ben -- is he willing to extend for a couple of years without adding on much money?
I don't know. I think the max you can spread a bonus is 6 years. But receivers hold up - you could guarantee his first 3 years salary to avoid huge cap hits. Theoretically, you could give a bonus of $24M spread over 6 years, and then guarantee another $21M in salary his first 3 years....that's $45M guaranteed and the cap hit would only be $11M each of those first 3 years.

I think it will really depend on the development of the other 3 guys. If DJ, Washington and Claypool progress like I think they will, then paying JuJu $15M per year is a luxury they'll choose not to afford. That's the cost of extending 3 quality contributors they'd probably like to keep.

I have a feeling getting JuJu for $12M a year is a pipe dream. I think he could be looking at a 6-yr deal for over $100M, maybe more. I'm not sure even $15M per year would be enough to keep him in PIT.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

From a USA today Arizona affiliate. NFL's highest paid wide receivers (average salary per year)

1. Falcons WR Julio Jones: $22 million
2. Chargers WR Keenan Allen: $20 million
3. Cowboys WR Amari Cooper: $20 million
4. Saints WR Michael Thomas: $19.3 million
5. Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins: 18.8 million
6. Bengals WR A.J. Green: $18.2 million
7. Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill: $18 million
7. Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million
9. Buccaneers WR Mike Evans: $16.5 million
10. Texans WR Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million
10. Vikings WR Adam Thielen: $16.2 million

I'm not sure JuJu has reached the level of any one of those guys. He's got a huge upside, but he's not there yet. So far, he's not even close to Adam Thielen.

JuJu
217 Rec, 2,964 yards, 19 TD's

Thielen :
329 rec, 4,425 yards, 27 TD's

I don't think he's getting $15 M/ yr. /shrug

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic