Pleasantly surprised at Snell's newfound speed...

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Scunge

Pleasantly surprised at Snell's newfound speed...

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:08 pm

He had what was it a 30 yard run AND a 21 yard run and finished the night with 19 carries for 113 yards, a 5.9 yard average.

Last season he wasn't able to turn the corner or take runs to the outside, it was really between the tackles for him. But this game he was able to break free and showed improved quickness and speed.

It did make me wish that McFarland had been active and ready to play though, imagine what his speed could have done on some of those runs. If Conner is out for a few games, that may be just the window that McFarland needs to showcase himself. I do think that Snell/McFarland is your 1-2 combo at RB in 2021 and may happen sooner than expected this season if Conner can't stay healthy.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Looks like a completely different player.

Like a completely different guy.

Whatever he did in the offseason, I hope Snell keeps on doing it.

....but I'll add, it's too early to give up completely on Conner (and yes, I realize he is beyond injury prone).

The play calling last night early was FUCKING ATROCIOUS. They kept running Conner off the fake reverse (somebody pointed out last night that maybe, just maybe, it would have been a good idea to actually hand the ball off to the WR just once to make the Giants think about it) directly into the teeth of their defense. The o-line didn't get much of a push in the first quarter.

Happy as hell Snell looked GREAT but we haven't seen the last of Conner and at some point, we're going to desperately need him to come through.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Some other thoughts on the running game...

...Holy Shit is Matt Fieler going to be a different maker at LG. You look at some of the success Snell had running to the right side, that was big #71 pulling and blowing up the point of attack to spring some of those longer runs. Ramon Foster did not have the mobility to do that.

With Feiler and DeCastro the Steelers now have two mobile pulling guards and that is a beautiful thing. I know that me and B2B are huge fans of Matt and I do think that he has Pro Bowl potential as a guard.

Also, I noticed the return of Vance McDonald blocking much, much better, there was one run where Vance just threw Martinez was it to the ground with ease, almost one handed.

In terms of the reverse KC, they did do that later in the game to get a first down with Chase Claypool. To me is it baby steps with the new offense and play design, they have to develop it slowly, but I did see a lot to like here and there.
Last edited by Scunge on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm

I've been saying for years, some guys in the NFL get too big, too bulky and it takes away some explosiveness.

We have enough guys with enough smarts and ability at RB to be effective. It's about the OL and the passing game.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Steelers have a good problem at OG. Feiler, Decastro, and Dotson all could be Pro Bowl starters or better.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:59 pm

The real reverse on 4th and 1 to put us in victory formation in the 4Q worked. It's probably something they could have mixed in earlier if they were going to run all of that reverse action in the 1Q. The slow developing stuff against what was a pretty good front 7 needed to get scrapped.

Definitely won't work against the two teams from Maryland we're going to play this season, by the way.

I am pleasantly shocked by Snell, who I will now have to stop calling Snail.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:35 pm
In terms of the reverse KC, they did do that later in the game to get a first down with Chase Claypool. To me is it baby steps with the new offense and play design, they have to develop it slowly, but I did see a lot to like here and there.
The reverse worked when it needed to, I definitely won't argue that point but the Giants ignored it completely when Conner was in the game and he was basically being asked to run into a wall.

I'm sure they were using the Conner runs to set up the reverse for when they needed it, but those early plays did Conner no favors.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:08 pm

maybe, it would have been a good idea to actually hand the ball off to the WR just once to make the Giants think about it) directly into the teeth of their defense. The o-line didn't get much of a push in the first quarter.
Instead of 4-5-6 of these plays to the RB............with the fake to the WR, to set up something later or late in the game.

Might be a good idea to do it early, on the first or second time this play is run. Hand it to the WR.
Which may soften up the stacking of the middle for the actual RB hand off.

I thought Snell was pretty effective in his role last year.
Was the between the tackles and short yardage guy.
Tuff, low running style that shed tackles to pick up hard yards.

Not sure of the stats, but would love to see what his numbers were on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 or less to go.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm

Scunge wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:08 pm
He had what was it a 30 yard run AND a 21 yard run and finished the night with 19 carries for 113 yards, a 5.9 yard average.

Last season he wasn't able to turn the corner or take runs to the outside, it was really between the tackles for him. But this game he was able to break free and showed improved quickness and speed.

It did make me wish that McFarland had been active and ready to play though, imagine what his speed could have done on some of those runs. If Conner is out for a few games, that may be just the window that McFarland needs to showcase himself. I do think that Snell/McFarland is your 1-2 combo at RB in 2021 and may happen sooner than expected this season if Conner can't stay healthy.
There is such a fine line at RB between being fast enough to get to the edge, and just a sliver to slow. I think it is one reason RBs have such a short shelf life. With a WR, route running / physicality / etc. can pro long your game. With a RB? Gore will disagree, but seems like the clock is ticking from day 1.

Snell gained a step from last year. If he loses that step, he goes back to being flotsam.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Snell didnt suddenly find some speed he just understands how to run in this scheme. He ran away from NFL speed when he played at Kentucky. He had no problem in that Florida game where he ran away from 8 of those guys who are in the league now.

Year two of a RBs career is when they find out when to turn it on and when to set up the blocks. The only thing I am concerned about is the fumble.

Stallworth16

Post by Stallworth16 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Benny Snell may have lost a few pounds and gained some quicknesss, but we should not be surprised this guy is the real deal.

Look what he did in college, he was a beast.
3 years. 5.3 ypc, 4000 yards. 48 TDs.

More evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Hmdc99I4E

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 pm

James Conner was methadone to Lev Bell's heroin for the first year and a half. Now that the steelers got the monkey off their back, they can move on to Snell/Samuels/McFarland territory. I guessing that's not gonna happen the second conner is cleared to play.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:51 pm
Snell didnt suddenly find some speed he just understands how to run in this scheme. He ran away from NFL speed when he played at Kentucky. He had no problem in that Florida game where he ran away from 8 of those guys who are in the league now.

Year two of a RBs career is when they find out when to turn it on and when to set up the blocks. The only thing I am concerned about is the fumble.
I respectfully disagree Veritas.

College is college, the speed of the NFL is totally different. Snell found this out as a rookie.

Last season when Snell tried to run to the outside it was very, very painful and telling. Even he knew this. Snell knew he had no chance as a legitimate NFL RB and that he had to get quicker and faster.

Look at last season when he had runs that went over the Left Tackle.

11 runs for 16 yards, a 1.5 yard average. It was sort of comical last season to watch Benny try and get to the outside, it was like he was running in molasses.

You look at last season Benny had some nice runs over 10+ yards, 8 runs over 10+ yards. But they were almost exclusively through the interior of the O-line.

Over the Left Guard - 23, 21, 19, 15, 14 yards
Up the Middle - 20, 11 yards
Around the Left End - 10 yards.

This season Benny already has a 30 yard run over the Left Tackle and a 21 yard run around the Right End. Last year those runs didn't happen for Benny, instead those runs over the Left Tackle were for -6 yards, -1 yards, no gain, no gain, 1 yard, 2 yards, etc.

This years version of Benny Snell Football is a legitimate starting RB and worthy replacement for Conner.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 am

Havoc wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm
I've been saying for years, some guys in the NFL get too big, too bulky and it takes away some explosiveness.

We have enough guys with enough smarts and ability at RB to be effective. It's about the OL and the passing game.
I will take it a step further...I always argued a similar point back in the day,...great bar argument, that if a team wanted to flip the script in the NFL for one or two seasons they could.

Get rid of the big heifers and draft and trade for all 200 to 220 pound speedsters and ballers and spread them across the entire field like a kickoff formation, you could beat every team based on how NFL defenses are constitutes today.

Trade Big Al for another James Conner, then trade Pouncey for a Hines Ward type. DeCastro gone for a Troy Polamalu...etc.

I ‘d put a 2nd QB as a long snapper center and snap the ball from a sideways stance to all kinds of places across the field. The 5 yard out would now be going backwards from the center to attack a particular part of the field or a particular 300 pound D lineman.

Put the real QB in motion and have your second center QB zing a pass snap to QB 1 just outside the hash marks. QB 1 then throws a quick slant back to the interior. Or the center long snaps from a sideways stance to James Conner in motion outside the hash marks.

Speed kills...I just missed my calling as an NFL Offensive Coordinator and player personnel director.

....back on topic...these Snell and Conner arguments seem to take the tone of either or. I Prefer Conner and Snell healthy and interchangeable. I know Conner can do it healthy. Snell obviously morphed his body and skillset this year. We are not winning a ring with Snell. We are not winning a ring with Conner. We will win a ring with Snell and Conner! Season’s too long.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm
Steelers have a good problem at OG. Feiler, Decastro, and Dotson all could be Pro Bowl starters or better.
Dotson a Pro Bowler?

Can we let him play a few games before making a statement like that? Feiler also...

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:39 am

Feiler had a helluva game Monday night. He's put together some good games previously, too. Dotson has all the tools. Great problem to have.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm
Dotson a Pro Bowler?

Can we let him play a few games before making a statement like that? Feiler also...
I’ve been on record for almost a year in saying I think Feiler is a future All-Pro G. He’s been great in his appearances at G. Dotson certainly has the nasty, man. Road plow.

If you have access to NFL game pass or even to watch Thursday night, watch Browns’ 1st round pick Jedrick Wills and tell me he would even be able to start for the Steelers, let alone be a better OL than Feiler or Dotson. Wills was unconscionably bad on Sunday.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Hey B2B, remember my notion that in 2022 the Steelers starting guards may be Fieler and Dotson? My view is that DeCastro could see a payday of some $12-15 million per season in a new contract and that he will unfortunately leave as Alan Faneca did back in the day. Faneca left for a 5 year, $40 million, $8 million per season average which was the richest at that time. I can see some team doing the same with DeCastro, offering him more money then we can possibly match.

Anyway, we may just see a preview of that Feiler/Dotson duo Sunday.

This team has to find cap savings where it can, moving on from JuJu, Conner and DeCastro makes it possible to pay for 3 elite superstars on defense, Heyward, Watt and Fitz.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Scunge wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm
Hey B2B, remember my notion that in 2022 the Steelers starting guards may be Fieler and Dotson? My view is that DeCastro could see a payday of some $12-15 million per season in a new contract and that he will unfortunately leave as Alan Faneca did back in the day. Faneca left for a 5 year, $40 million, $8 million per season average which was the richest at that time. I can see some team doing the same with DeCastro, offering him more money then we can possibly match.

This team has to find cap savings where it can, moving on from JuJu, Conner and DeCastro makes it possible to pay for 3 elite superstars on defense, Heyward, Watt and Fitz.
That should be the plan. Hoping they either trade or let DeCastro walk when his contract is up. A hell of a player with an awesome career here, but he's on the wrong side of 30, has adequate and much cheaper options behind him, and we've got bigger needs on where to dedicate cap space beyond a 30+ year old guard.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm
If you have access to NFL game pass or even to watch Thursday night, watch Browns’ 1st round pick Jedrick Wills and tell me he would even be able to start for the Steelers, let alone be a better OL than Feiler or Dotson. Wills was unconscionably bad on Sunday.
I just went back and watched the highlight clips of the game. I don't know if I'd go that far, but yeah...Wills didn't look good.

- That sack that made it 3rd and 41 was 100% on Willis. He doubled the DE and gave McPhee a clean rush to Baker
- He was beat on a 3 step drop on 3rd and 1 in the 4th quarter. Baker took a big hit.
- All of the Browns success rushing was to the right side
- Cleveland gave him a TON of help throughout the game. Note Cleveland fans complaining that Hooper only saw 2 targets...this is why.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm
I just went back and watched the highlight clips of the game. I don't know if I'd go that far, but yeah...Wills didn't look good.

- That sack that made it 3rd and 41 was 100% on Willis. He doubled the DE and gave McPhee a clean rush to Baker
- He was beat on a 3 step drop on 3rd and 1 in the 4th quarter. Baker took a big hit.
- All of the Browns success rushing was to the right side
- Cleveland gave him a TON of help throughout the game. Note Cleveland fans complaining that Hooper only saw 2 targets...this is why.
The effort or lack thereof was really the issue. Wills showed no interest in run-blocking and outright stopped on any play where his man got by him or stunted elsewhere. Lackluster penalties. Really strange performance.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Scunge wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm

I think moving or moving on from a veteran like AV, Decastro, Haden, Pouncey-- definitely in play. Good depth inside, especially if Dotson continues to get work and shows well at C. Maybe even more than one of those. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm

I respectfully disagree Veritas.

College is college, the speed of the NFL is totally different. Snell found this out as a rookie.

Last season when Snell tried to run to the outside it was very, very painful and telling. Even he knew this. Snell knew he had no chance as a legitimate NFL RB and that he had to get quicker and faster.

Look at last season when he had runs that went over the Left Tackle.

11 runs for 16 yards, a 1.5 yard average. It was sort of comical last season to watch Benny try and get to the outside, it was like he was running in molasses.

You look at last season Benny had some nice runs over 10+ yards, 8 runs over 10+ yards. But they were almost exclusively through the interior of the O-line.

Over the Left Guard - 23, 21, 19, 15, 14 yards
Up the Middle - 20, 11 yards
Around the Left End - 10 yards.

This season Benny already has a 30 yard run over the Left Tackle and a 21 yard run around the Right End. Last year those runs didn't happen for Benny, instead those runs over the Left Tackle were for -6 yards, -1 yards, no gain, no gain, 1 yard, 2 yards, etc.

This years version of Benny Snell Football is a legitimate starting RB and worthy replacement for Conner.
Scunge

Every RB that comes into the league needs a year to best know how and when to use his speed, power, and quickness. It usually takes about a year to have your body and mind right to use your speed and power correctly. After Bell broke his collarbone vs the Ravens most of the posters were ready to scrub him and go get some Issac Redman clone from the UDFA pile. He comes back the next year and he's a different back- same with FWP, same with Mendenhall, same with most. All Snell has done is learned when and where to use that speed (albeit not homerun speed) to get to the second level. Now he has to get there with enough leverage to use his power on smaller defenders without compromising ball security.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic