Initial diagnosis for Zach Banner is a torn ACL.

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
DP39

Initial diagnosis for Zach Banner is a torn ACL.

Post by DP39 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the initial diagnosis for Steelers OT Zach Banner is a torn ACL.
He'll be moved to season-ending injured reserve in the coming days. Already short starters in the trenches with David DeCastro (knee) still recovering and his replacement, Stephen Wisniewski, suffering a torn pectoral on Monday night, Pittsburgh will revert to rookie RG Kevin Dotson and RT Chukwuma Okorafor in the interim. It's a disastrous situation for Benny Snell, who is expected to replace James Conner (ankle) in the short-term.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sep 15, 2020, 11:08 AM ET

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 pm

That's such a shame. He looked so distraught.

I just found out last night that one of my old high school teammates is his personal trainer.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 pm

I laugh at "disastrous for Conner" from a guy who apparently has never seen Dotson play. If the line is AV-Feiler-Pouncey-Dotson-Ckuks, Steelers will be absolutely fine.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:43 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 pm
I laugh at "disastrous for Conner" from a guy who apparently has never seen Dotson play. If the line is AV-Feiler-Pouncey-Dotson-Ckuks, Steelers will be absolutely fine.
Depth? What happens if Okafor gets injured? Feiler?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Depth at tackle is the biggest issue for sure.

I really liked the Jarron Jones signing and I wonder if he might be a better swing tackle candidate than Gray. I won’t be shocked if they don’t rush to sign a veteran—they don’t want to give up that $10M in cap space they could roll over into next year.

Edit: and they signed Jerald Hawkins, so I guess he’s this year’s version of 2007 Trai Essex. Let us hope he doesn’t end up being the LT come playoff time.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

And why I laughed at a RB being distraught: if Dotson and Feiler are your starting Guards, you’re gonna be able to run the football.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 pm

So, did they or did they not sign Hawkins?
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Yeah I guess they did—this year’s Trai Essex?

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm
Yeah I guess they did—this year’s Trai Essex?
Ouch!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 pm

Trai Essex wasn't all that bad, I get people didn't care for him much and expected more from a 3rd round pick. He did start 28 games in his 7 years as a Steeler and sort of could line up anywhere and there was value in that.

Hawkins, I always felt bad for him in the sense that you can only do so much with the body you are born with. You look at his body type, he is so damn long and lean with a very narrow waist for a tackle. He looked like a TE playing tackle. I think him not being able to stay healthy over the years is because of his unusual body type.

In terms of Dotson and the run game, he is an old school, nasty dominant run blocker with 52 games of experience in college. Benny Snell will be just fine.

One thing that needs to be pointed out is that when Tomlin was going over the 53 man roster and the depth chart for the season and some reporters were asking him who is the starter at TE and who the starter was at RT, Tomlin was not real concrete on that.

He said the the starting TE was Vance McDonald OR Eric Ebron, that the RT spot would be Zach Banner OR Chuks Okorafora, that the kick returner was Ray Ray McCloud OR Anthony McFarland.

So, for people to continue to say that Banner was THE starting RT, that Zach clearly beat out Chuks, well, that is open to discussion and debate.

For all we know the Steelers were going to end up using both Banner AND Chuks during the season at RT. If McFarland wasn't in concussion protocol maybe he would have been active and been the kick returner on Monday night.

For example, who is the starter at Tight End? Is it Vance McDonald? Or Eric Ebron? Ebron had 40 snaps to McDonald's 38 snaps on Monday night.

Anyway, I think the combo of Dotson and Okorafora at RG/RT may actually be better than Wisneiski and Banner. Dotson is a better run blocker than Wisneiski and Chuks has better quickness and athleticism than Banner to pass protect. The O-line may be better against Denver, not worse. Isn't depth a great thing to have?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic