Ben and the Steelers brought me back

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
StillerInCT

Ben and the Steelers brought me back

Post by StillerInCT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:19 pm

What a year it's been. It's been hard mentally to get into sports this year. I deal with a few ailments on the CDC website, so while I'm young (35) and otherwise healthy, mentally it's taken a toll on me having to be cautious about everything I do and always having to be alert. To compound matters I live in Astoria Queens so about 2 miles from the epicenter of the epicenter and 50 yards from Mount Sinai Queens hospital. March and April were nerve-wracking to say the least. I know people say that this whole thing is bullshit, but I can tell you that the amount of sirens during those two months were damn near constant at all hours of the day. Seeing the aftermath of it all a lot of those sirens were for people who didn't make it. It really put life into perspective.

The Steelers, who have been a passion of mine for 30 years and got me through some tough times have been an afterthought. But it appears after Monday night they've brought back some joy to my life.

That brings me to Ben. I thought Ben might have been done even if he wasn't technically done. End of an era so to speak. But after seeing him on Monday night I can see him putting up career numbers with the skill positions around him. In the first half he looked a bit rusty, but he shook that rust off fast. In the 2nd half he looked like pre-surgery Ben. He looked as comfortable in the pocket as ever and his pre-snap reads were great. While some of these guys aren't household names (Johnson, Washington, Claypool) I can't remember a time when he's had this many weapons at his disposal. I realize they played the Giants, but seeing how sharp he looked in game #1 after surgery, I'm making my call....Ben's first MVP trophy.

Shout out to Diontae Johnson by the way. He made a few mistakes on Monday, but responded with a good play every single time afterwards. That type of resilience isn't taught. I think he has potential to be special.

Glad to be back, gents! Here...we...go!

"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Glad to see your back.
And I share your enthusiasm for Ben and his weapons. Think he may have the deepest, most variety of skill sets and most diverse group he has ever had.
Wait till Vance and Ebron start becoming a force in the middle of field.

And Samuels gets up to 2018 passing game speed.
And we get a glimpse of McFarland out of the backfield. You know Connor has an added motivation now as well.

And how about a double for Ben.
MVP and comeback player of year.

Yes,
One game. They need to protect him.
And he will grow with all these weapons.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 pm
Glad to see your back.
And I share your enthusiasm for Ben and his weapons. Think he may have the deepest, most variety of skill sets and most diverse group he has ever had.

And we get a glimpse of McFarland out of the backfield. You know Connor has an added motivation now as well.

Yes,
Nah...quartet

MVP
CPOY
Super Bowl MVP
Lombardi

😎
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm

It’s been one game guys... :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm
You gotta cut us some slack. We actually have a real, bonafide, HOF SB winning QB. And he played like one (well, for a half at least), with a top five defense. Last year was a cluster fuck on O. If they went 8-8 last year, the sky's the limit this year - as long as everyone remains healthy. The way I see it after watching the chiefs and steelers, the only teams the steelers really have to contend with in the AFC are the chiefs and the ravens. I think the pats might offer a challenge, but I'll wait for Cam Newton to melt down sometime during the season. My uninformed two cents.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm
Jobu wrote:
You gotta cut us some slack. We actually have a real, bonafide, HOF SB winning QB. And he played like one (well, for a half at least), with a top five defense. Last year was a cluster fuck on O. If they went 8-8 last year, the sky's the limit this year - as long as everyone remains healthy. The way I see it after watching the chiefs and steelers, the only teams the steelers really have to contend with in the AFC are the chiefs and the ravens. I think the pats might offer a challenge, but I'll wait for Cam Newton to melt down sometime during the season. My uninformed two cents.
Cam Newton showed his true character in his Super Bowl appearance. When going gets tough, Cam goes into a fetal position and cries. After not even trying to recover that fumble, with the game still winnable, his career should have been done. Period. Get his uniform dirty and talk some trash to him, and he becomes a giant crybaby.

I do fear the chef and rats, though.

Has the mature Ben ever had a good/great defense helping him out? Getting him short fields? Preserving his leads? Snuffing comeback attempts? Seems like the last time the defense was this good, Ben was a lot less mature as a player. That’s what’s really cool to me. He can play the gunslinger, because the D has his back. And what a cast. How exciting are the Claypool, Johnson, and Snell? Get the O-line healthy, and we’re rolling.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 pm

jeemie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm
Stosh-67 wrote:
Glad to see your back.

Yes,
Nah...quartet

MVP
CPOY
Super Bowl MVP
Lombardi

😎
This ^ 1,000,000

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Jobu wrote:
:lol:

One game, but the first time we've seen an NFL level offense in 365 days. In that time period we've seen Australia/California/Oregon burn, COVID-19, Murder Hornets, Kobe Bryant's death, etc. etc. ...let's us have this Jobu!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 pm
Jobu wrote:
:lol:

One game, but the first time we've seen an NFL level offense in 365 days. In that time period we've seen Australia/California/Oregon burn, COVID-19, Murder Hornets, Kobe Bryant's death, etc. etc. ...let's us have this Jobu!
Carry on. 8-)
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

I feel you on the sirens, CT. We’re were just a few blocks away from Mt. Sinai and it was incessant for two months.

I’m pretty optimistic about the Steelers chances but they have a tall task with not only KC & BAL but also some strong 2nd tier AFC teams in TEN & NE. There are very few teams with both a poor defense and lousy QB, so most wins will be contested and whoever comes out of the division/conference will be battled tested with some sharp iron.

OL seems to be the position group across the league that’s uneven and a step behind the defensive fronts. The Steelers can’t afford any more injuries, especially at tackle.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

WR has oddly seen a pretty high percentage of higher profile injuries, too, oddly.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm
I feel you on the sirens, CT. We’re were just a few blocks away from Mt. Sinai and it was incessant for two months.

I’m pretty optimistic about the Steelers chances but they have a tall task with not only KC & BAL but also some strong 2nd tier AFC teams in TEN & NE. There are very few teams with both a poor defense and lousy QB, so most wins will be contested and whoever comes out of the division/conference will be battled tested with some sharp iron.

OL seems to be the position group across the league that’s uneven and a step behind the defensive fronts. The Steelers can’t afford any more injuries, especially at tackle.
It was wild wasn't it?

I actually think we're better than Baltimore this year. I expect some regression from Lamar. But yeah, you're completely correct that it's going to be a tall task. I think they're ready for it if Ben can stay hot and healthy.

What's left for depth on the OL after Monday?

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Glad to see your back.

Yes,
Thanks Stosh! Good to be back. Normally I'm well versed in all things Steelers, but I need to get caught up on our team.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

It was wild wasn't it?

I actually think we're better than Baltimore this year. I expect some regression from Lamar. But yeah, you're completely correct that it's going to be a tall task. I think they're ready for it if Ben can stay hot and healthy.

What's left for depth on the OL after Monday?
Chuks from Banner is a lateral move. Dotson will be an upgrade from Wis, I think. Once Decastro gets back we have Dotson in reserve and, in a tackle emergency, either Feiler can go to RT and Dotson to LG OR someone like Jerald Hawkins/Jarron Jones at OT.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic