I hate young people, Juju Edition

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Professor Half Wit

I hate young people, Juju Edition

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Maybe the bolded is BS. I hope its BS. I bet it's not BS. I hope it's BS.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2101110105
That leaves Smith-Schuster, who said after the loss to the Browns he would “love to stay” with the Steelers because he has built a strong foundation and fan base here. “They've helped change the way I am. I love the game of football and I would love to do it again,” Smith-Schuster said. The Steelers would like to re-sign Smith-Schuster, who had a team-high 97 catches in the regular season and 13 more in the playoff loss to the Browns. He is their dependable version of Hines Ward who makes every tough catch. But sources have indicated Smith-Schuster would like to play in a major market where he could expand his off-field brand and burgeoning social-media presence. He could become too expensive to re-sign.

“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm

I have no problem if JuJu, or any other player, wants to “ expand his off-field brand”...just do it off field!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 pm

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm
I have no problem if JuJu, or any other player, wants to “ expand his off-field brand”...just do it off field!
I have no problem with a player running some social media branding enterprise.

I do have a problem if that player would rather be someplace else for the sake of his social media enterprise. You'd rather be on another team than the Steelers with a bigger media market for the sake of your social media dollars? Fuck you. Bye!

Like I said, I hope the sources are full of shit.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

If I was a HC I would either ban social media or have a team hired social media coordinator that all players posts went through for approval

JuJu is an undisciplined me 1st chump....So is Villanueva......so was AB...... so was Lev

If your not here to play football and do what the team does you are a distraction

One of Tomlin's big downsides is he doesnt lay down the law as the top dog
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm

unfortunately it looks like this is the culture we have cultivated in the Steelers org. Claypool is primed to carry on the tradition.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Goodbye JuJu
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm
If I was a HC I would either ban social media or have a team hired social media coordinator that all players posts went through for approval

JuJu is an undisciplined me 1st chump....So is Villanueva......so was AB...... so was Lev

If your not here to play football and do what the team does you are a distraction

I agree. Except on Villy. If you say this referring to him singularly standing for the Anthem them thats just way off base.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

I agree. Except on Villy. If you say this referring to him singularly standing for the Anthem them thats just way off base.
Yeah that....and the BLM name thing on the back of the helmet........fuck his bullshit......do what the team does or get out.......i dont think its a coincidence his play has dropped off since those 2 incidents......i suspect other stuff we dont know about as well
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:04 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Yeah that....and the BLM name thing on the back of the helmet........fuck his bullshit......do what the team does or get out.......i dont think its a coincidence his play has dropped off since those 2 incidents......i suspect other stuff we dont know about as well

Seems like a reach but, to each his own.

Villy earned the right in all those circumstances to do his thing.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:04 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:

The only one on this team who has really earned anything that matters is Ben.....and I think things need to be a little stricter on him to in some regards
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:

Not really, man. He earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants out side of the football field and the team... but within the team, he has to be a team guy first. And I mean even ahead of God and country.

I know I'll be pilloried for it but, if you want to win, the team comes first. You can pray on your own, you can make political statements on your own, you can TikTok or host the Oscars... but team has to come first.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm

I really don't care if players are on social media or building a brand. I don't really even care if they do it on their personal time during the season. But when they are doing it before a game then they are not singularly focused on the task at hand. We want volunteers, not hostages.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass, JuJu.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Not really, man. He earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants out side of the football field and the team... but within the team, he has to be a team guy first. And I mean even ahead of God and country.

I know I'll be pilloried for it but, if you want to win, the team comes first. You can pray on your own, you can make political statements on your own, you can TikTok or host the Oscars... but team has to come first.
Like I said, to each their own.

Imo he earned the right to do whatever he chose in that situation. I respect him even more for his decisions.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:

Like I said, to each their own.

Imo he earned the right to do whatever he chose in that situation. I respect him even more for his decisions.
See....I think thats one of this teams problems......too many guys think they HAVE rights.....lol.....and then additionally too many guys think its ok for them to do their own thing......or at least something other than what the TEAM does in general.......and that is on the players and Tomlin and the other coaches.....but like ive said before its kinda pervasive in some ways all through the Steelers organization right now
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

langer

Post by langer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

I thought everyone want to come to the Burgh to play for Mike Tomlin, because he's really a good coach, understands young players, an can motivate them.

LOL
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

JuJu says Dulac and his sources are full of shit.

Thank goodness.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm
JuJu says Dulac and his sources are full of shit.

Thank goodness.
Is this is the player doing damage control?

I doubt JuJu will be on the team next year, but we'll see I guess.

He's not on my list of concerns this off season, although without him we could be a little thin at WR since that group did not progress like I thought it could this year.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Society in 2004: Teen pregnancy, crime, drug use is down, bullying is down, young people seem to be getting their shit together.

Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg: hold my beer
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

ToddHaleysNineIron

Post by ToddHaleysNineIron » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Absolutely 100% disagree completely.

The problem isn't whose standing or not, whose putting stickers or not.
This idea that every player should fall in line with the social stances of other players, and that defines a teammate, is stupid.

The problem is the team is worried about making socially political statements instead of singularly focusing on football.

If the team is focused on taking votes to make social statements, the team is setting up for failure. You can make a political statement's on your own - but don't demand your teammates do it under the cover of team unity.... that's bullshit... and the exact opposite of a team.
SteelerDayTrader, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 pm

Spend the money elsewhere

Change the culture
Last edited by Havoc on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 pm

ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

This idea that every player should fall in line with the social stances of other players, and that defines a teammate, is stupid.

The problem is the team is worried about making socially political statements instead of singularly focusing on football.

If the team is focused on taking votes to make social statements, the team is setting up for failure. You can make a political statement's on your own - but don't demand your teammates do it under the cover of team unity.... that's bullshit... and the exact opposite of a team.
Bravo and exactamundo

There should be but one voice in the room and that’s the HC.

THIS is what we are going to do.

THIS is how we are going to handle that.

THIS is what I expect you to avoid and not do.

Simple but not part of Jibba’s Buddy Buddy style.

Instead we get...

You guys figure it out. Take a team vote. Meanwhile, I’ll be over in my office further avoiding any responsibility on the matter.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 pm

ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Ok.....but you cant have it both ways.......

You cant demand players put GI Joe stickers on their helmet.....or stand for the anthem.....or etc etc etc ......AND AGAIN.......most importantly to winning football games ....you are either with the rest of the team or you arent......you are either together or you arent.....laws/rights/bullshit other than playing football as a team........they dont REALLY apply to team unity.......even tho they might be "legal" or "allowed"
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Yeah Team comes first. Don’t say stupid shit and sacrifice for your team. BUT.

Team cannot force someone to go against his conscience. As an extreme example, if the team decided they all must wear swastikas would you be okay with a player exercising their conscience?

So basically the problem wasn’t AV; the problem was the team required its players to make a political statement that might offend the conscience of some of the players (including pouncey once he looked into it). Management fucked up (ie Punting Mike Tomlin — that fucker can’t get anything right); not AV.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Havoc wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
He's not on my list of concerns this off season, although without him we could be a little thin at WR since that group did not progress like I thought it could this year.
That anyone did anything in Rustbelt's offense this year is a minor miracle. There were games JuJu made plays, and game he was completely invisible. Just like pretty much everyone else.

I think it's time to recognize WR is as much a commodity as RB, and paying a WR $12M or $15M per year or whatever is just as dumb.

If the choice is Dupree or JuJu, that's no longer really a choice. With Ben about to retire, I STRONGLY consider extending Dupree and then trading Highsmith for a pick - he put out some good film, he's a rookie and I think he's worth at least a mid-R3. Basically I'm paying Dupree money to grab an extra high draft pick. Saving money on Dupree isn't going to move the needle much in a year or two.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm
Management fucked up (ie Punting Mike Tomlin — that fucker can’t get anything right); not AV.
Just another example in a long, long line of them where Tomlin took the path of least resistance and abdicated his role as a leader.

Mike Tomlin is an above average Mon-Sat defensive coordinator. That's it. He's never been anything more than that.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Chase Claypool
@ChaseClaypool
·
18m
When I asked coach Tomlin which apparel company I should sign with he told me... “when Jordan calls, you answer.” I Gotchu coach. OFFIClALLY A
@Jumpman23
Athlete!!

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm
Havoc wrote:
That anyone did anything in Rustbelt's offense this year is a minor miracle. There were games JuJu made plays, and game he was completely invisible. Just like pretty much everyone else.

I think it's time to recognize WR is as much a commodity as RB, and paying a WR $12M or $15M per year or whatever is just as dumb.

If the choice is Dupree or JuJu, that's no longer really a choice. With Ben about to retire, I STRONGLY consider extending Dupree and then trading Highsmith for a pick - he put out some good film, he's a rookie and I think he's worth at least a mid-R3. Basically I'm paying Dupree money to grab an extra high draft pick. Saving money on Dupree isn't going to move the needle much in a year or two.
No.....

You pay DuPree and Watt.......keep Highsmith.....then when Highsmiths cheap rookie deal is up you make a decision on whether you wanna pay Highsmith C2 money or cut lose DuPree/Watt before the expensive end of their contracts
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 pm
You pay DuPree and Watt.......keep Highsmith.....then when Highsmiths cheap rookie deal is up you make a decision on whether you wanna pay Highsmith C2 money or cut lose DuPree/Watt before the expensive end of their contracts
Except imagine Highsmith is worth a mid/late R2. Then imagine your second round pick sat on the bench for 3-4 years. We would call that a bust. Your idea is a bust.

Or imagine you had a 5th year all-pro, and you spent your R2 on his backup. That would be stupid.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm
Havoc wrote:

I want Dupree back next year if we are going to try to take another run at it (meaning no move up in the draft for a QB since a trade for Watson is a pipe dream).

If it's between Dupree and JuJu, no contest. It's Dupree.

I probably prefer to move on from JuJu. Too much circus which might get worse with a C2, not the influence we need on the other WRs.

What a contrast between Hines Ward taping his name on his training camp helmet and JuJu antics.
Last edited by Havoc on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic