Matt Canada to be named OC

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stillthere
Posts: 5209
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Re: Matt Canada to be named OC

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:16 pm

Another plus in my opinion for Canada is the fact that he got Natan Peterman drafted running his offensive system.



Kodiak
Posts: 18372
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?
Yeah, it's purely coincidence that their buddies keep being the "best" of the candidates they interview, even when results say otherwise.

One or two guys would be reasonable and understandable, but I think it's been a lot more than that. The fucking W&M pipeline or whatever the hell it is isn't getting the job done.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Jobu
Posts: 11635
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?
Yeah, it's purely coincidence that their buddies keep being the "best" of the candidates they interview, even when results say otherwise.

One or two guys would be reasonable and understandable, but I think it's been a lot more than that. The fucking W&M pipeline or whatever the hell it is isn't getting the job done.
I’m not arguing that they’re making quality hires, I’m just saying that...
Tomlin should and better be the one doing the staff hiring, and that hiring people you’ve worked with in the past isn’t uncommon in the NFL.
You guys want to get pissed about some quality control coach hire, go right ahead, but they could hire the absolute best, most qualified assistant coaches available, and as long as Tomlin is calling the shots....

User avatar
El Kabong
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Post by El Kabong » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?
Yeah, it's purely coincidence that their buddies keep being the "best" of the candidates they interview, even when results say otherwise.

One or two guys would be reasonable and understandable, but I think it's been a lot more than that. The fucking W&M pipeline or whatever the hell it is isn't getting the job done.
Who was Canada connected to prior to being hired?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

stillthere
Posts: 5209
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?
Yeah, it's purely coincidence that their buddies keep being the "best" of the candidates they interview, even when results say otherwise.

One or two guys would be reasonable and understandable, but I think it's been a lot more than that. The fucking W&M pipeline or whatever the hell it is isn't getting the job done.
Who was Canada connected to prior to being hired?
He bounces around. Northern Illinois then Wisconsin and Pitt, LSU, NC State, UMD (this may be when Tomlin's second dose of him happens after he left Pitt.) There may be another stop or two in there. Tomlin met him back in 2015 or 2016 when Canada was at Pitt and then when he was at Maryland I assume they were recruiting Dino and so Mike probably had more conversations with him then.

User avatar
El Kabong
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Post by El Kabong » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 am

stillthere wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 pm
El Kabong wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm


Yeah, it's purely coincidence that their buddies keep being the "best" of the candidates they interview, even when results say otherwise.

One or two guys would be reasonable and understandable, but I think it's been a lot more than that. The fucking W&M pipeline or whatever the hell it is isn't getting the job done.
Who was Canada connected to prior to being hired?
He bounces around. Northern Illinois then Wisconsin and Pitt, LSU, NC State, UMD (this may be when Tomlin's second dose of him happens after he left Pitt.) There may be another stop or two in there. Tomlin met him back in 2015 or 2016 when Canada was at Pitt and then when he was at Maryland I assume they were recruiting Dino and so Mike probably had more conversations with him then.
Thanks.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22095
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 pm

You know, I've been watching Matt Canada offenses all afternoon, and I can't really see anything that Ben can't do. It looks like a ton of work for the skill players and even the tackles but it's mostly ballhandling, which Ben does fairly well. It looks a lot harder than it is at an individual player level. The plays are simple. It's all the presnap motion and ball fakes that are hard.

Now, if that keeps everybody involved and gets so some free chunk runs when a defense misses its adjustment or open looks throwing it for the same reason, then hallelujah... it isn't a hard sell for Ben if you say: "hey, we're going to give you some great looks out of this and it won't be so much attrition football."

Jobu
Posts: 11635
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 pm
You know, I've been watching Matt Canada offenses all afternoon, and I can't really see anything that Ben can't do. It looks like a ton of work for the skill players and even the tackles but it's mostly ballhandling, which Ben does fairly well. It looks a lot harder than it is at an individual player level. The plays are simple. It's all the presnap motion and ball fakes that are hard.

Now, if that keeps everybody involved and gets so some free chunk runs when a defense misses its adjustment or open looks throwing it for the same reason, then hallelujah... it isn't a hard sell for Ben if you say: "hey, we're going to give you some great looks out of this and it won't be so much attrition football."
Lol...I’ve been doing the same. Actually started watching some last night. And yes, Ben can work in this offense. The one thing about Canada that has stood out is that he adjusts to his talent, not. vice versa. Working well with what you have to be successful is a hallmark of a good coach, IMO.
One thing I couldn’t help pondering in watching Canada’s offenses is how well a young, in his prime Ben would’ve performed under his tutelage.
Maybe it’s just the novelty of a new offensive philosophy, but I’m getting kind of excited at the possibilities. Just keep Cool Shades out of the way, and let’s see what happens.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22095
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 pm
You know, I've been watching Matt Canada offenses all afternoon, and I can't really see anything that Ben can't do. It looks like a ton of work for the skill players and even the tackles but it's mostly ballhandling, which Ben does fairly well. It looks a lot harder than it is at an individual player level. The plays are simple. It's all the presnap motion and ball fakes that are hard.

Now, if that keeps everybody involved and gets so some free chunk runs when a defense misses its adjustment or open looks throwing it for the same reason, then hallelujah... it isn't a hard sell for Ben if you say: "hey, we're going to give you some great looks out of this and it won't be so much attrition football."
Lol...I’ve been doing the same. Actually started watching some last night. And yes, Ben can work in this offense. The one thing about Canada that has stood out is that he adjusts to his talent, not. vice versa. Working well with what you have to be successful is a hallmark of a good coach, IMO.
One thing I couldn’t help pondering in watching Canada’s offenses is how well a young, in his prime Ben would’ve performed under his tutelage.
Maybe it’s just the novelty of a new offensive philosophy, but I’m getting kind of excited at the possibilities. Just keep Cool Shades out of the way, and let’s see what happens.
I'll be shocked if Tomlin lets him run his offense. It might start that way, but it will pucker up and slip comfortably into risk aversion and attrition football at the first sign of danger.

Jobu
Posts: 11635
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 pm
You know, I've been watching Matt Canada offenses all afternoon, and I can't really see anything that Ben can't do. It looks like a ton of work for the skill players and even the tackles but it's mostly ballhandling, which Ben does fairly well. It looks a lot harder than it is at an individual player level. The plays are simple. It's all the presnap motion and ball fakes that are hard.

Now, if that keeps everybody involved and gets so some free chunk runs when a defense misses its adjustment or open looks throwing it for the same reason, then hallelujah... it isn't a hard sell for Ben if you say: "hey, we're going to give you some great looks out of this and it won't be so much attrition football."
Lol...I’ve been doing the same. Actually started watching some last night. And yes, Ben can work in this offense. The one thing about Canada that has stood out is that he adjusts to his talent, not. vice versa. Working well with what you have to be successful is a hallmark of a good coach, IMO.
One thing I couldn’t help pondering in watching Canada’s offenses is how well a young, in his prime Ben would’ve performed under his tutelage.
Maybe it’s just the novelty of a new offensive philosophy, but I’m getting kind of excited at the possibilities. Just keep Cool Shades out of the way, and let’s see what happens.
I'll be shocked if Tomlin lets him run his offense. It might start that way, but it will pucker up and slip comfortably into risk aversion and attrition football at the first sign of danger.
Unfortunately...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic