BSPN on Andy Reid

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelheadtrout

BSPN on Andy Reid

Post by steelheadtrout » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Yeah but Reid doesn't have a bunch of thought-provoking phrases like; "Iron sharpens iron" or "we don't live in our fears" Andy can pull out for the media whenever he wants to.

We have the pleasure of listening to these nuggets of wisdom all season long!!

Oh and did you know that if we ever cut Mike Tomlin loose, he'd have a new job before the same day ended?
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:52 pm

And Andy Reid HAS had a losing season...

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:52 pm
And he's 1-1 in the SB, so is he really better than Tomlin?

....we all know who was about to post that :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Took Andy Reid 19 seasons to win a SB as a head coach. He came to Kansas City in 2013 and didn't win the SB until his 7th season. I'm sure everyone here would've been fine with that. No doubt about it. No complaints at all.

In the 2013 playoffs they were up 38-10 in the third quarter against the Colts and lost the game. One and done in the playoffs. No job security issues there. 28 point second half leads that vanish in a playoff game are totally cool with this board. The next year he doesn't even make the playoffs. No big deal, this board is fine with that, the playoffs are hard to get to and we all understand. In 2015 they actually won his first and only playoff game pre-Mahomes against Brian Hoyer. We all know beating backup QBs in the playoffs is totally fine and doesn't discredit the accomplishment at all, congrats Andy. Then they went up to New England and got punked. It's okay because they tried hard. In 2016 they had a bye and a home playoff game against who? Oh yeah, the Steelers. And we beat them without even scoring a TD. One and done. No worries, our even-keeled board here understands that sometimes you just don't score a TD in a home playoff game, it's okay, try harder next year and roll it back. :lol: In 2017? One and done again, lost at home AGAIN, this time against Marcus Mariota. We...under....stand. Get back on that horse, Andy. We wouldn't be calling for your head at all.

Glad you all are slobbing his knob here now, because he would've been fired 3-4 times here by the time he ever won it all.

daikyu

Post by daikyu » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:37 pm

Well said. Reid used to a punchline on this board until he got Mahomes. Now he is a super genius coach.
tbsteel wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 pm
Took Andy Reid 19 seasons to win a SB as a head coach. He came to Kansas City in 2013 and didn't win the SB until his 7th season. I'm sure everyone here would've been fine with that. No doubt about it. No complaints at all.

In the 2013 playoffs they were up 38-10 in the third quarter against the Colts and lost the game. One and done in the playoffs. No job security issues there. 28 point second half leads that vanish in a playoff game are totally cool with this board. The next year he doesn't even make the playoffs. No big deal, this board is fine with that, the playoffs are hard to get to and we all understand. In 2015 they actually won his first and only playoff game pre-Mahomes against Brian Hoyer. We all know beating backup QBs in the playoffs is totally fine and doesn't discredit the accomplishment at all, congrats Andy. Then they went up to New England and got punked. It's okay because they tried hard. In 2016 they had a bye and a home playoff game against who? Oh yeah, the Steelers. And we beat them without even scoring a TD. One and done. No worries, our even-keeled board here understands that sometimes you just don't score a TD in a home playoff game, it's okay, try harder next year and roll it back. :lol: In 2017? One and done again, lost at home AGAIN, this time against Marcus Mariota. We...under....stand. Get back on that horse, Andy. We wouldn't be calling for your head at all.

Glad you all are slobbing his knob here now, because he would've been fired 3-4 times here by the time he ever won it all.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:40 pm

tbsteel wrote:

Did Reid inherit a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Fame QB and have him the entire length of his tenure?
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

stillcajun

Post by stillcajun » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:40 pm

If I had to take one thing away anything from that article it would be this.
He doesn't want us to have any excuses for not getting it right on Sunday. He wants to eliminate all the distractions."
Just another reason why Tomlin will never win again here.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:45 pm

tbsteel wrote:

True dat.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:40 pm
tbsteel wrote:

Did Reid inherit a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Fame QB and have him the entire length of his tenure?
No, he drafted Donovan McNabb who was his choice as franchise QB. Are you saying he made a bad choice?
--Voltaire

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:40 pm
tbsteel wrote:

No, he drafted Donovan McNabb who was his choice as franchise QB. Are you saying he made a bad choice?
McNabb was a good player.

He isn't a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Famer that Tomlin didn't even need to draft.

It took Reid awhile, but he found his shoe-in first ballot Hall of Fame QB.

We'll see how Reid's career looks in comparison to Tomlin's when both are finished.

Baltostiller

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:56 pm

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you ... &FORM=VIRE

Andy Reid wasn't always universally revered.
--Voltaire

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:17 am

El Kabong wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:56 pm
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you ... &FORM=VIRE

Andy Reid wasn't always universally revered.
Looks like Andy figured out this whole NFL thing.

We’ll soon find out if he’s mastered it.

Baltostiller

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:58 am

It's nice to see that we've replaced our collective Belichick envy with Reid envy. I'll assume the Harbaugh envy remains a strong, quiet undercurrent.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 am

Ice wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:58 am
It's nice to see that we've replaced our collective Belichick envy with Reid envy. I'll assume the Harbaugh envy remains a strong, quiet undercurrent.
Andy Reid has been pretty consistently in the postseason, if I'm not mistaken, since he left Philly.

....with the likes of Alex Smith at QB.

The same Alex Smith the Niners removed in favor of Kaepernick because they didn't believe Smith could take them to a Super Bowl.

The dude is a genius offensive mind, he just never had a genius level QB with the ability to execute what he draws up.

Andy found that motherfucker and together they might be unstoppable for a long goddamn time.

Baltostiller

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 am

Seem to recall the Steelers beating the genius offensive mind, in the playoffs, in Kansas City, without scoring an offensive touchdown. Or a defensive touchdown. Or any touchdown.

Earlier in the 2017 regular season, the offensive genius led his team all the way to 13 points at Heinz, also in a loss.

McVay got Jared Goff to a Super Bowl. I'll take that guy.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 am
Seem to recall the Steelers beating the genius offensive mind, in the playoffs, in Kansas City, without scoring an offensive touchdown. Or a defensive touchdown. Or any touchdown.

Earlier in the 2017 regular season, the offensive genius led his team all the way to 13 points at Heinz, also in a loss.

McVay got Jared Goff to a Super Bowl. I'll take that guy.
Hell, I'd take any of them over the lazy idiot Tomlin. As long as they could get Ben to 100% 'buy in' and do all of the actual work necessary to run their genius offences -- although, I have my doubts on that one.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:21 pm

I wouldn’t trade Tomlin for any coach....dead or alive.

As Steeler fans we are often too hard on players and coaches.

This guy is a once in a generation coaching talent.

Every time I see him on the sidelines with his deer in the headlights look as his team is being dismantled in the playoffs, it reinforces my feeling of how fortunate we are to have him.

Hope we have him for the next 10-15 years.

Unleashing hell....on all of us.

ToddHaleysNineIron

Post by ToddHaleysNineIron » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:23 pm

The Steelers would be better off if Tomlin were to move on.
The team that picks up Tomlin would be better off picking him up.

I think Tomlin coming in as a head coach would be beneficial to a lot of teams in the NFL in terms of culture and the players... for a time.
I think the Steelers need someone to bring in a new culture to their team from the top down.

Players love Tomlin - we can all speculate why... for some teams that might be something good for them... but we know that can't go on forever.. good maybe for a few years, but it goes stale after a while... then you get the players who start to grow into that and begin to stray from a team attitude.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:53 pm

ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:23 pm
The Steelers would be better off if Tomlin were to move on.
The team that picks up Tomlin would be better off picking him up.

I think Tomlin coming in as a head coach would be beneficial to a lot of teams in the NFL in terms of culture and the players... for a time.
I think the Steelers need someone to bring in a new culture to their team from the top down.

Players love Tomlin - we can all speculate why... for some teams that might be something good for them... but we know that can't go on forever.. good maybe for a few years, but it goes stale after a while... then you get the players who start to grow into that and begin to stray from a team attitude.
Tomlin is not moving on any time soon, but for shits and giggles let’s say he is fired after next season. Of course he would be immediately hired, but I believe he would last three years or less on his new job. Tomlin is not a good head coach, and we are finding out that the things he’s been credited for being good at, he really isn’t. Enabling isn’t a good coaching trait. The guy is a fucking coaching clown.

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:54 pm

We all know beating backup QBs in the playoffs is totally fine and doesn't discredit the accomplishment at all, congrats Andy.
When we start beating some JAG QBs in the playoffs we will know how it feels again and can comment.

Till then, the words “beating” and “playoffs” haven’t been seen used together round these parts for a while now.

I’ll take a win against somebody’s practice squad at this point as long as the calendar was in January.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:24 pm

955876 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:54 pm
We all know beating backup QBs in the playoffs is totally fine and doesn't discredit the accomplishment at all, congrats Andy.
When we start beating some JAG QBs in the playoffs we will know how it feels again and can comment.

Till then, the words “beating” and “playoffs” haven’t been seen used together round these parts for a while now.

I’ll take a win against somebody’s practice squad at this point as long as the calendar was in January.
January games are going to be a rarity for awhile now, let alone January wins.

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:34 pm

But of course given it’s the “standard” now and all.

Took a while but we all finally know what that standard really means.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:42 pm

955876 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:34 pm
But of course given it’s the “standard” now and all.

Took a while but we all finally know what that standard really means.
Sad...but true.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Jobu wrote:

Either STD or El Kabong (Polt). A month ago I would have included B2B, but he seems to be off Tomlin now.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Obviously wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Jobu wrote:

Either STD or El Kabong (Polt). A month ago I would have included B2B, but he seems to be off Tomlin now.
Well, if B2B is “off Tomlin now”, then STD is too.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:38 pm

Isn’t that the truth

Christ

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 am

I keep searching for the James Harrison interview either before the 2010 SB, or a year or two after (or 4?)...

There was a stark contrast in Harrison's comments on Cowher vs. Tomlin. You'd think he'd have disdain for the guy who cut him twice and never started him. Nope. And, of course, later we saw that he really didn't have much respect for Tomlin, eventhough he won DPOY under him.

That speaks volumes. James Harrison credits his success to Cowher, and basically thought Tomlin was a clown. He did say he liked Tomlin, in a very non-ringing endorsement. Who doesn't like an enabling parent?

I remember being taken aback by that. A lot of posters still thought Tomlin was the shit. And here's Tomlin's best player (given that Ben, Troy and Hines were much more Cowher's guys) basically saying "I wouldn't be here without Cowher....but Mike is a good guy".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:22 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 am
I keep searching for the James Harrison interview either before the 2010 SB, or a year or two after (or 4?)...

There was a stark contrast in Harrison's comments on Cowher vs. Tomlin. You'd think he'd have disdain for the guy who cut him twice and never started him. Nope. And, of course, later we saw that he really didn't have much respect for Tomlin, eventhough he won DPOY under him.

That speaks volumes. James Harrison credits his success to Cowher, and basically thought Tomlin was a clown. He did say he liked Tomlin, in a very non-ringing endorsement. Who doesn't like an enabling parent?

I remember being taken aback by that. A lot of posters still thought Tomlin was the shit. And here's Tomlin's best player (given that Ben, Troy and Hines were much more Cowher's guys) basically saying "I wouldn't be here without Cowher....but Mike is a good guy".
Cowher pissed me off because he never prioritized the QB position. Always thought he could win the big one with an afterthought under center. Turns out he couldn't, but his teams were nearly ALWAYS prepared and he did show the ability to adapt to the talent he had around him. Hell, he used to routinely allow 5 wide with Neil O'Donnell under center. Used Kordell Stewart in the Slash role, etc.

Cowher, was one helluva good football coach with a few major weaknesses.

Mike Tomlin is and will always be a shitty football coach. Good guy and relates well to players, but he literally doesn't know what in the fuck he is doing on the sidelines and when preparing for games (especially big games).

Tomlin is a pretender. Nothing more.

Baltostiller

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Say what you want about Reid (or Cowher for that matter.) But I can guarantee if either of those coaches had Ben for 13+ years, their results would put them light years ahead of Tomlin - and there'd be no debate on the better coach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic