Sources: Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers to discuss contract, future

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
K_C_

Sources: Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers to discuss contract, future

Post by K_C_ » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:20 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/308 ... act-future

I look forward to hearing about Ben's "future".

“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 am

If you keep saying your prayers each and every night maybe the next stretch of Stoudt, Malone, Brister, Graham, ODonnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox QB play will finally be here and we will all be rid of the awful curse of having Ben Roethlisberger quarterback this franchise.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:44 am

Steelperch wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 am
If you keep saying your prayers each and every night maybe the next stretch of Stoudt, Malone, Brister, Graham, ODonnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox QB play will finally be here and we will all be rid of the awful curse of having Ben Roethlisberger quarterback this franchise.
Ben's the greatest QB in Steelers history, but we're coming to the end of that run. I've said often he deserves his farewell tour. Next year needs to be the end of it.

Not sure you noticed, but Roethlisberger was outplayed by Baker Fucking Mayfield when it mattered most. Threw 4 picks. We aren't winning the big one with Ben. Hell, we aren't winning another fucking playoff game with Ben ....and if you believe we are, you're high.

Roethlisberger will be seen as the 3rd best QB in his own division next season, with Burrow hot on his heels.

The guy was great...emphasis on "was". If you believe he still is, well....you're dead fucking wrong, but I guess that's something you're going to have to come to grips with yourself.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:20 am

Steelperch wrote:
On a positive note, Malone and Stewart would be a lot better in today's game.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

punum123

Post by punum123 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:19 am

If Ben and Rooney are able to come to terms for 1 more season so be it. 7 got us 2 more Lombardi’s and for that I’m forever grateful.

IMO Pouncey is done - he knows it - Ben should not be trying to convince him to play.

Ultimately The shit show in Pit will continue until Tomlin departs...that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:18 am

I think Ben going shock some of the Naysayers

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:26 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:18 am
Yeah, this has almost nothing to do with restructuring his deal to lower the cap number. That was going to happen whether or not Ben retired. His bonuses and salary are actually "only" $19M - his play last year doesn't warrant lowering that number, and it won't be.

The "discussions" are going to center around the reality that to restructure requires adding a year or two. And no one, probably not even Ben, knows if he will want to or be able to play beyond 2021. But he might. And so you can't just slap on an arbitrary number for his salary those years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:48 am

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:26 am
steelmann58 wrote:
Yeah, this has almost nothing to do with restructuring his deal to lower the cap number. That was going to happen whether or not Ben retired. His bonuses and salary are actually "only" $19M - his play last year doesn't warrant lowering that number, and it won't be.

The "discussions" are going to center around the reality that to restructure requires adding a year or two. And no one, probably not even Ben, knows if he will want to or be able to play beyond 2021. But he might. And so you can't just slap on an arbitrary number for his salary those years.
You absolutely can slap some arbitrary number on the salary. Just say he gets 19 million again next year all as base salary. If he is cut or retired nothing on the cap gets affected other than the money they are trying to spread out over the next up to 4 years of prorated bonus. The worst case with parting ways with Ben after next season would be if you spread it out over 4 years and had to take around a 13 million dollar dead cap hit when you are not in salary cap hell like this offseason. As long as Ben and the team understand that this will probably be the farewell tour.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:23 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Riiiiiiiight.

Harvey Woodlawn

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:34 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:44 am
Steelperch wrote:
Ben's the greatest QB in Steelers history, but we're coming to the end of that run. I've said often he deserves his farewell tour. Next year needs to be the end of it.

Not sure you noticed, but Roethlisberger was outplayed by Baker Fucking Mayfield when it mattered most. Threw 4 picks. We aren't winning the big one with Ben. Hell, we aren't winning another fucking playoff game with Ben ....and if you believe we are, you're high.

Roethlisberger will be seen as the 3rd best QB in his own division next season, with Burrow hot on his heels.

The guy was great...emphasis on "was". If you believe he still is, well....you're dead fucking wrong, but I guess that's something you're going to have to come to grips with yourself.

He may be "seen" as the third best QB, but who cares, Baker is average as shit, and Lamar is an RB.

I don't think Ben can put this team on his back and win a championship. But what those QBs have that Ben doesn't is a competent run game (Baker has a good o-line and stud RBs), and creative offensive philosophies. Now maybe that is Ben's fault (doesn't want to get hit), and if so, then yeah next year will be a shit show.

But if we add a capable RB, and some nastiness to the o-line, I do believe Ben can keep the team in the mix if he has support. Our defense is solid, but the playoff meltdowns are perplexing.

Another thing for next year is our division has a brutal schedule. This year we had the easiest schedule, next year will be the toughest.

blu

Post by blu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:44 pm

My inclination is that the sooner Ben goes that Tomlin will soon follow & that is of most importance. One to the Hall of Fame & the other to the hall of shame.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm

JJT07 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:34 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Steelperch wrote:

He may be "seen" as the third best QB, but who cares, Baker is average as shit, and Lamar is an RB.

I don't think Ben can put this team on his back and win a championship. But what those QBs have that Ben doesn't is a competent run game (Baker has a good o-line and stud RBs), and creative offensive philosophies. Now maybe that is Ben's fault (doesn't want to get hit), and if so, then yeah next year will be a shit show.

But if we add a capable RB, and some nastiness to the o-line, I do believe Ben can keep the team in the mix if he has support. Our defense is solid, but the playoff meltdowns are perplexing.

Another thing for next year is our division has a brutal schedule. This year we had the easiest schedule, next year will be the toughest.
"Average" Baker came into Heinz and won.

In the playoffs.

Didn't turn the ball over even once, when he came into Pittsburgh and took our lunch money.

Gave the Chiefs one helluva game too.

RB Lamar's been a league MVP already in his young career. As a QB.

Got the playoff monkey off his back too.

Both are right now, DESERVEDLY seen, as better QB's than Ben Roethlisberger.

Only a homer would think any different.

Harvey Woodlawn

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:10 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm
JJT07 wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

In the playoffs.

Didn't turn the ball over even once, when he came into Pittsburgh and took our lunch money.

Baker was spotted 28 points. Of course he didn't turn the ball over. They gave the Chiefs a game without Mahomes for a good portion of it.

Lamarr can have his league MVP, I don't think he is winning anything other than a division. But I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

I don't really consider myself a homer, and am no huge fan of Ben, but I would still take him over any other QB in our division (given similar resources).

Will be interesting to see if/under what circumstances he comes back for sure.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:51 pm

JJT07 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:10 pm
K_C_ wrote:
JJT07 wrote:

In the playoffs.

Baker was spotted 28 points. Of course he didn't turn the ball over. They gave the Chiefs a game without Mahomes for a good portion of it.

Lamarr can have his league MVP, I don't think he is winning anything other than a division. But I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

I don't really consider myself a homer, and am no huge fan of Ben, but I would still take him over any other QB in our division (given similar resources).

Will be interesting to see if/under what circumstances he comes back for sure.
After Ben's best friend spotted the Browns 7 points, when we really needed Ben to produce points on the following drive to remove the momentum the Browns had from Ben's best friend's EPIC fuck up, what does Ben do? Throw among the dumbest fucking INT's he's ever thrown, which the Browns proceeded to turn into another 7 points.

Ben had plenty to do with the lead the Browns built.

I'll add that Ben played good, not great football for a good portion of the season.

Towards the end, he and the offense looked like shit. His "performance" vs the Bengals, which started with Ben massively under throwing an open James Washington to start the game, let me know we were in deep shit.

Yep, even vs the lowly Bungles.

Ben's arm is still pretty good. He cannot fucking move anymore.

Harvey Woodlawn

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Agree with all of this, the Bengals game was fucked up. I honestly think Mason would have won that game if he started. And the first INT in the Browns game was horrid.

To your point though, Ben did look good in flashes, even that first Ravens game comeback was impressive. But he was very inconsistent.

Maybe this is the homer in me, but if we can build some semblance of a running game, Ben being great in flashes may be enough to be competitive. Maybe not, who the fuck knows anymore. I do know as long as Tomlin is running the show we aren't winning shit, we could have Mahomes and this asshole would lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Ben’s play is still worth 20-30 million. Problem is that’s not a great deal for a 40M cap hit.

From a cap standpoint, the way to win a championship is to get $250M of value out of your $175M cap room. That’s pretty doable if you get $50M in value from a QB that gives you a $5M cap hit (KC), at which point you are left trying to get $200M value out of the remaining $170 M space. Just need a couple players to outperform to get there.

For us, after QB we need...$230M value out of the $135M non-QB portion of our cap. Which is a long way of saying ‘we’re screwed’.

My approach would be to extend Ben for one year if he was willing, give him ~$5M in new (guaranteed) money just so we can break his cap hit up into two years. Bring his 2021 hit down to ~$28M maybe.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:48 am
You absolutely can slap some arbitrary number on the salary. Just say he gets 19 million again next year all as base salary.
No you can't. If all parties want back in 2022, he has to be paid appropriately. Maybe $19M is too much. Maybe it's a lowball.

There won't be any guarantees. That's not the issue. You don't understand that the issue is what is a potential 2022 Ben worth? What is the number that Ben is worth to the 2022 Steelers, and what number does Ben want to potentially play for the 2022 Steelers? That's a pretty big range, with an even bigger range of related outcomes.

And who's to say Ben wants to lock himself to the Steelers in 2022? He's a FA after this year and he might want to give his final year or two to a real contender not coached by a pretender.

If it all was so simple, they would have just extended Ben two years and the salary those years would be irrelevant. No, the issue is they are negotiating a contract where Ben potentially plays 2-3 years. If that weren't the case, it's an easy deal that would already be done. Easy would be a base salary of $40M in 2022 and 2023, meaning he's cut after this year and then all parties can negotiate for 2022. Obviously Rooney is not ready to commit himself to letting Ben be a FA in 2022.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 pm

And who's to say Ben wants to lock himself to the Steelers in 2022? He's a FA after this year and he might want to give his final year or two to a real contender not coached by a pretender.
Ben said this. He said he would rather retire than not play in Pittsburgh like a year or two ago.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:09 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Kodiak wrote:

Ben said this. He said he would rather retire than not play in Pittsburgh like a year or two ago.
I have a feeling Uncle Brucie might need someone next year

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:19 pm

stillthere wrote:
Ben says a lot of things I don't think he really believes. I don't think anyone involved wants him to retire in another jersey. But you can't always get what you want.

As I said, there's a possibility Ben will be willing and able to play beyond next year. Maybe he could be traded, and he might want a no trade clause (or right of refusal). But the potential to play in 2022, not to mention possibly a trade, is why this isn't a simple and easy deal to ink.

It's a no-brainer that you give yourself the ability to trade Ben, if it comes to that, for whatever reason rather than let him become a FA after next year.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:09 pm
Wouldn't that be something!

But Brady has already said he could see himself playing next year. He's a little less than 1200 yards behind Brees. 364 completions behind Brees. Four Q4 comeback behind Manning, and 6 behind in game winning drives. That asshole is coming back.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:22 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Wouldn't that be something!

But Brady has already said he could see himself playing next year. He's a little less than 1200 yards behind Brees. 364 completions behind Brees. Four Q4 comeback behind Manning, and 6 behind in game winning drives. That asshole is coming back.
Honestly, I don’t think Brady cares about any of that stuff. He cares about championships, and he’s in his own world as far as that goes. That’s the only reason he wants to keep playing.
Without looking it up, I don’t know his contract status. Is he a FA after this season? If so, it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up next. I could see him wanting to play 30 more seasons and win a Super Bowl with every team. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:19 am

they will work out a deal you watch

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
stillthere wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

How do you figure?

Brady shows no signs of slowing down to a level where he would retire.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:19 am
they will work out a deal you watch
Of course they will. The point is everyone is trying to retire Ben, while Ben and the Steelers are considering the possibility of multiple years. It might be slim, but it's real.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:13 am

I don’t see why you put off the pain of cutting the cord when you know you won’t win with Ben unless of course you’re hoping for a post-COVID season where the salary cap goes back up and you can absorb the hit.

I’d rather start the future now.

I’m sorry Ben didn’t get his send off before the fans, but that’s being sentimental.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:45 am

jeemie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:13 am
I don’t see why you put off the pain of cutting the cord when you know you won’t win with Ben unless of course you’re hoping for a post-COVID season where the salary cap goes back up and you can absorb the hit.

I’m sorry Ben didn’t get his send off before the fans, but that’s being sentimental.
They don't think they can't win with Ben.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:46 am

El Kabong wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:45 am
jeemie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:13 am

They don't think they can't win with Ben.
I know...more’s the pity...

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:46 am

stillthere wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

Ben came back this year saying he wanted to win a super bowl with the defense the Steelers had and get a super bowl win for Pouncey. I think it's safe to say Ben doesn't think he can't win a super bowl with Tomlin as HC.
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 am

K_C_ wrote:
Lamar is overrated.
--Voltaire

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic