Larry Foote claims Antonio Brown helped changed the Bucs culture

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
User avatar
El Kabong
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Re: Larry Foote claims Antonio Brown helped changed the Bucs culture

Post by El Kabong » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:43 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm
He was a cancer that Tomlin ignored
How do we know Tomlin ignored his behavior? I might suggest Tomlin managed him as well as anyone could have at the time.


"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

tunch
Posts: 1131
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 am

Post by tunch » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:37 am

Sounds like Brown came in and convinced Tampa's young receivers to work hard, shut their mouths, forget about their numbers, and do what Tom Brady says.

That's a pretty good influence.

Men get wisdom with age.

Look at James Harrison. Cutting him twice mellowed him from a world-class asshole to only a massive asshole (and my favorite Steeler of all time).

Havoc
Posts: 5515
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by Havoc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 am

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am
Havoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm


While we're at it.....who is comparing him to Rice? This seems like a straw man.
Noone in this thread has compared him to Rice. I do see it on occasion on the board though.

You have to consider the whole person and the entire body of work not just some RS numbers.

If the whole person subtracts from the team meaning bailing before doing something truly great ala a great ps run then those RS numbers don't mean as much.

What did all those volume AB numbers get us during the RS? Where was the #1 offense?

Show me a guy with great numbers in context of a #1 offense, or in context of a SB run... AB not on either list.

The impact of volume numbers in sports is not equal to the numbers. AB's rs numbers to some degree are volume numbers.
It's a team sport. The notion that it's ABs fault we did not have more success as high a pitch of absurdity as there is. Now, that's not what you're saying. But since what I am saying is right, your argument that AB does not belong among the greatest of the great because of what he did not contribute in the post-season falls flat for me.

I get that post-season is a different animal. I have ZERO doubt that AB in his prime would have kicked ass in the PS if the rest of the team played anywhere near as well at their positions as he did at his.

No way you'll get me to agree to what you're throwing down.
Let me rephrase and maybe you will buy what I'm selling... on sale for a massive discount like a Steelers AB Jersey.

It's a team sport. I value numbers in context of winning more than not winning, winning in the ps more than the RS, numbers in context of a #1 scoring offense more than a good and sometimes great offense.

What if we had a #1 scoring offense, what would AB's numbers look like? More likely they go down as the ball gets spread around more.

I already said maybe at times he was the best in the league. I will revise and say at times he was the best wr in the league.

I'm partial to bigger players. There is a reason a guy is quick... it's because he is small. I'll take the physical freak gigantic catch radius over the little runt although I will say AB made up a lot of the difference with his quickness... but not all of it.

Gronk was the greatest QB friend of that era. It's just easier for a QB to throw to that massive freight train in the middle of the field than downfield or outside the hashes to a little runt who plays bigger than his size.

Also, AB quit on a team with SB aspirations, traded to the Raiders. He gets dinged for that, in my view.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

stillthere
Posts: 5209
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Havoc wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 am
Also, AB quit on a team with SB aspirations, traded to the Raiders. He gets dinged for that, in my view.
My biggest gripe is that he quit. I could never be a teammate of someone that just decided to quit on the team. What is the point of working out all offseason and doing all the things that would advance you to a goal of a championship and then have a player just decide that he doesn't need to do shit and just shows up on gameday after being AWOL for the last week. Fuck That Guy.

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2166
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:01 pm

Havoc wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 am
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am
Havoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm


Noone in this thread has compared him to Rice. I do see it on occasion on the board though.

You have to consider the whole person and the entire body of work not just some RS numbers.

If the whole person subtracts from the team meaning bailing before doing something truly great ala a great ps run then those RS numbers don't mean as much.

What did all those volume AB numbers get us during the RS? Where was the #1 offense?

Show me a guy with great numbers in context of a #1 offense, or in context of a SB run... AB not on either list.

The impact of volume numbers in sports is not equal to the numbers. AB's rs numbers to some degree are volume numbers.
It's a team sport. The notion that it's ABs fault we did not have more success as high a pitch of absurdity as there is. Now, that's not what you're saying. But since what I am saying is right, your argument that AB does not belong among the greatest of the great because of what he did not contribute in the post-season falls flat for me.

I get that post-season is a different animal. I have ZERO doubt that AB in his prime would have kicked ass in the PS if the rest of the team played anywhere near as well at their positions as he did at his.

No way you'll get me to agree to what you're throwing down.
Let me rephrase and maybe you will buy what I'm selling... on sale for a massive discount like a Steelers AB Jersey.

It's a team sport. I value numbers in context of winning more than not winning, winning in the ps more than the RS, numbers in context of a #1 scoring offense more than a good and sometimes great offense.

What if we had a #1 scoring offense, what would AB's numbers look like? More likely they go down as the ball gets spread around more.

I already said maybe at times he was the best in the league. I will revise and say at times he was the best wr in the league.

I'm partial to bigger players. There is a reason a guy is quick... it's because he is small. I'll take the physical freak gigantic catch radius over the little runt although I will say AB made up a lot of the difference with his quickness... but not all of it.

Gronk was the greatest QB friend of that era. It's just easier for a QB to throw to that massive freight train in the middle of the field than downfield or outside the hashes to a little runt who plays bigger than his size.

Also, AB quit on a team with SB aspirations, traded to the Raiders. He gets dinged for that, in my view.
My appraisal was of the physical talent alone. He does get dinged for being both crazy and an asshole. The thing about AB is he did all that WTF stuff without size. He just outworked, outmuscled, and acorbatted his way to the ball.

The hi-fi between Ben and AB was absurd. As a QB - WR duo, in their prime, putting them in the top four all-time is not a stretch, IMO. Too bad AB lost his mind and could not put the team first.
"Just don't kill us."

User avatar
jeemie
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Post by jeemie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm
I don't care about his personal production which helped only him. He was a cancer that Tomlin ignored which eventually metastasized into younger players which you now see in jjss. I want a coach like Noll or BB, eventhough there style isn't popular with this crybaby, look at me generation. I'll take a structured coach over players coach any day.
JJSS was an ass with the TikTok thing, but he is nowhere near AB levels.

Neither is Chase.

They’re just young and stupid, and unfortunately there don’t seem to be too many leaders to look up to in the locker room.

And Tomlin does treat the players like they’re all men...even if some are little boys.

It’s a good approach when the team is successful or there are no issues.

Bad when there are issues.

Steel Bingo
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 pm

I can buy into the concept that AB plus TB12 motivated some players down in Tampa who would otherwise not have put in the same focus and attitude going about their business.

Not that either are ideal, but given the choice –

I would choose the player who sets the standard for work ethic while around the facility, but is a troublemaker off the clock over …

The guy who sits on his thumb around his teammates, but is otherwise a saint.

Work ethic is contagious. But thumb-twiddling can be also.

the-other-burg
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by the-other-burg » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Sounds like AB hired himself a top notch PR team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic