Larry Foote claims Antonio Brown helped changed the Bucs culture

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 am

All Things Covered Podcast
Patrick Peterson and Bryant McFadden

Larry Foote interview starts at 36 minutes and 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzCIw3eBTqc

Talk about Brady and Michigan football and high school recruiting trips and then Foote says that Brady knew when we were blitzing by reading Casey Hamtpon's alignment and knew to throw the quick out route. I am a few minutes into the Larry Foote interview and it is pretty good so far. They bring up Assclownio around 51 and a half minutes into the podcast.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:28 am

They talk about Leftwich being a HC soon and of course I have to ask could he take over for Tomlin after next season?

langer

Post by langer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 am

So it was AB, the lunatic run out of town by MANY teams, let's not forget that shitshow at the Raiders, and not Tom Brady, the GOAT, that changed the culture of the entire organization.

Seems plausible Larry.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 am

langer wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 am
So it was AB, the lunatic run out of town by MANY teams, let's not forget that shitshow at the Raiders, and not Tom Brady, the GOAT, that changed the culture of the entire organization.

Seems plausible Larry.
LOL, yeah, did Larry forget the sarcafont?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:03 am

langer wrote:

Seems plausible Larry.
Says he helped change the culture. Sounds like he developed quite a little following of players doing extra work.

langer

Post by langer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:57 am

stillthere wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:03 am
langer wrote:

Seems plausible Larry.
Says he helped change the culture. Sounds like he developed quite a little following of players doing extra work.
Then I guess that's another feather in Uncle Bruce's beret, he got AB to produce and not self-detonate.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

langer wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:57 am
stillthere wrote:
langer wrote:

Seems plausible Larry.
Then I guess that's another feather in Uncle Bruce's beret, he got AB to produce and not self-detonate.
Maybe Tomlin should try the approach of lawman instead of beer buddy.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm

langer wrote:
I'm sure being traded away from Pittsburgh, being cut by 2 different teams, facing multiple legal issues, then being out of football for a year had nothing to do with it. All Bruce :roll:

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm
langer wrote:
stillthere wrote:

What Pabst said. AB's been through some things now that he hadn't been when he was with the Steelers.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 am

stillthere wrote:
langer wrote:

Seems plausible Larry.
If the angle is that his hard work is contagious, I can buy that. Noone ever denied AB was a hard worker.

Even with Larry Slow-a-Foote vouching for him, I cant forgive him for quitting on the team with a potential playoff spot on the line, nor his selfish,stupid and occasionally dangerous off-season behavior. Of course, none of that was as truly deplorable as that rap single he dropped.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
langer wrote:
stillthere wrote:

Yeah, it's not like Tomlin got any production out of AB.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I don't care about his personal production which helped only him. He was a cancer that Tomlin ignored which eventually metastasized into younger players which you now see in jjss. I want a coach like Noll or BB, eventhough there style isn't popular with this crybaby, look at me generation. I'll take a structured coach over players coach any day.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:21 pm

Yes...I’m sure that in a half a season, AB changed the entire culture of the Bucs.
Had nothing at all to do with Tom Brady....nothing.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
langer wrote:

It's not like Tomlin did not get hall of fame production out of AB.

And, I know this is not a popular notion, but I'm pretty sure Ben and AB both mutually sealed each other's ticket into the Hall of Fame. To be clear: AB sealed Ben's ticket. I'm saying that. And Ben sealed ABs.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

And, I know this is not a popular notion, but I'm pretty sure Ben and AB both mutually sealed each other's ticket into the Hall of Fame. To be clear: AB sealed Ben's ticket. I'm saying that. And Ben sealed ABs.
That's all fine Lit.

My problem with AB is, we were supposed to be building something here, he wanted out before we finished.

Also, as great as the Ben to AB combo was, it is a little overrated. They dominated between the 20s, not so much in the RZ sans 1 season. Also, the combo didn't do enough PS worth noting.

It didn't help that we have an offensive imbecile at HC who pulled the plug with a 4 point lead and 15:00 to play in NO in 2018. That was the year where we might have seen something special from our offense in the PS if we had made it although again maybe not with the offensive imbecile at HC.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Havoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 pm
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

That's all fine Lit.

My problem with AB is, we were supposed to be building something here, he wanted out before we finished.

Also, as great as the Ben to AB combo was, it is a little overrated. They dominated between the 20s, not so much in the RZ sans 1 season. Also, the combo didn't do enough PS worth noting.

It didn't help that we have an offensive imbecile at HC who pulled the plug with a 4 point lead and 15:00 to play in NO in 2018. That was the year where we might have seen something special from our offense in the PS if we had made it although again maybe not with the offensive imbecile at HC.
My position does not magically absolve AB of being a borderline or over the line manic asshole. But no one can convince me that paired with Ben, AB is not one of the best receivers ever to play the game. The problem with people arguing otherwise to me is that I saw AB play with my own eyes.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm

Havoc wrote:
Also, as great as the Ben to AB combo was, it is a little overrated. They dominated between the 20s, not so much in the RZ sans 1 season.
What now? Between 2014-2018, here is where AB ranked in receiving TDs:

T-2nd
T-10th
T-2nd
T-4th
1st

In those seasons, AB posted 13, 10, 12, 9, and 15 touchdowns for a grand total of 59 over 5 seasons.

The only receivers with more over a 5 year stretch are: Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter, and Marvin Harrison.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Havoc wrote:
Also, as great as the Ben to AB combo was, it is a little overrated. They dominated between the 20s, not so much in the RZ sans 1 season.

T-2nd
T-10th
T-2nd
T-4th
1st

In those seasons, AB posted 13, 10, 12, 9, and 15 touchdowns for a grand total of 59 over 5 seasons.

The only receivers with more over a 5 year stretch are: Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter, and Marvin Harrison.
AB was a stud....who happened to be crazy.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm
Pabst wrote:
Havoc wrote:

T-2nd
T-10th
T-2nd
T-4th
1st

AB was a stud....who happened to be crazy.
AB was/is batshit crazy.
AB was/is an excellent football player...one of the best, maybe the best, WRs of his generation.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Pabst wrote:
Havoc wrote:

T-2nd
T-10th
T-2nd
T-4th
1st

Jordy Nelson had 57 over 5 seasons

I see posters comparing AB to Jerry Rice which is laughable.

AB was a force, one of the best wrs in the league in his prime, at times maybe the best. I still would take prime Larry Fitzgerald over prime AB. Larry was a bigger badder man, dominated in a ps in a way few wrs ever have, something AB never did.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Havoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 pm

AB was a force, one of the best wrs in the league in his prime, at times maybe the best. I still would take prime Larry Fitzgerald over prime AB. Larry was a bigger badder man, dominated in a ps in a way few wrs ever have, something AB never did.
6 seasons. Jordy didn't play in 2015. Even if you want to count that as 5 seasons, then yes, Jordy would be 2nd best in this time frame. Better than Fitz, Calvin Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Gronk, etc.

And let's talk about Fitz:

His career high in yards is 1,431. AB bested that in 4 different seasons, and his career high is 1,834.
His career high in receptions is 109. AB has bested that in 3 different seasons, with a career high of 136.
His career high in TDs is 13. AB has equaled or bettered that twice (career high 15)

Does this make AB a better receiver? No. But to call Fitz dominant and "something AB never did" doesn't hold up, sorry. AB has posted better numbers than Fitz across multiple seasons.

Just because AB turned into a complete nutjob and ran himself out of town doesn't erase what he did.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm

Havoc wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Havoc wrote:

T-2nd
T-10th
T-2nd
T-4th
1st

And what AB did besides his 59 shits on what else Jordy did.

Regarding AB in his prime, he did not get the playoff chances. You can refresh your memory of AB tooling Jax elite secondary in the loss or getting knocked the fuck out by Burfict.

I appreciate your arguments. But, again, I watched AB play in his prime. My eyes told me all I need to know. He is one of the best ever. The circus act plays were routine for him.

Comparing anyone to Rice is laughable (including Moss, TO, whomever).

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm
While we're at it.....who is comparing him to Rice? This seems like a straw man.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm

But, again, I watched AB play in his prime. My eyes told me all I need to know. He is one of the best ever. The circus act plays were routine for him.
I can’t tell you how many times...there were many...when AB would make a catch/play, and I would just shake my head in amazement and think to myself...”how the hell did he just do that?”
The guy was outstanding.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Havoc wrote:

6 seasons. Jordy didn't play in 2015. Even if you want to count that as 5 seasons, then yes, Jordy would be 2nd best in this time frame. Better than Fitz, Calvin Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Gronk, etc.

His career high in yards is 1,431. AB bested that in 4 different seasons, and his career high is 1,834.
His career high in receptions is 109. AB has bested that in 3 different seasons, with a career high of 136.
His career high in TDs is 13. AB has equaled or bettered that twice (career high 15)

Does this make AB a better receiver? No. But to call Fitz dominant and "something AB never did" doesn't hold up, sorry. AB has posted better numbers than Fitz across multiple seasons.

Just because AB turned into a complete nutjob and ran himself out of town doesn't erase what he did.
He said he dominated a post season in a way few wrs ever have.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 pm

stillthere wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Havoc wrote:

He said he dominated a post season in a way few wrs ever have.
Ah...didn't catch that.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm
But, again, I watched AB play in his prime. My eyes told me all I need to know. He is one of the best ever. The circus act plays were routine for him.
I can’t tell you how many times...there were many...when AB would make a catch/play, and I would just shake my head in amazement and think to myself...”how the hell did he just do that?”
The guy was outstanding.
Exactly.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm
While we're at it.....who is comparing him to Rice? This seems like a straw man.
Noone in this thread has compared him to Rice. I do see it on occasion on the board though.

You have to consider the whole person and the entire body of work not just some RS numbers.

If the whole person subtracts from the team meaning bailing before doing something truly great ala a great ps run then those RS numbers don't mean as much.

What did all those volume AB numbers get us during the RS? Where was the #1 offense?

Show me a guy with great numbers in context of a #1 offense, or in context of a SB run... AB not on either list.

The impact of volume numbers in sports is not equal to the numbers. AB's rs numbers to some degree are volume numbers.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am

Havoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Noone in this thread has compared him to Rice. I do see it on occasion on the board though.

You have to consider the whole person and the entire body of work not just some RS numbers.

If the whole person subtracts from the team meaning bailing before doing something truly great ala a great ps run then those RS numbers don't mean as much.

What did all those volume AB numbers get us during the RS? Where was the #1 offense?

Show me a guy with great numbers in context of a #1 offense, or in context of a SB run... AB not on either list.

The impact of volume numbers in sports is not equal to the numbers. AB's rs numbers to some degree are volume numbers.
It's a team sport. The notion that it's ABs fault we did not have more success as high a pitch of absurdity as there is. Now, that's not what you're saying. But since what I am saying is right, your argument that AB does not belong among the greatest of the great because of what he did not contribute in the post-season falls flat for me.

I get that post-season is a different animal. I have ZERO doubt that AB in his prime would have kicked ass in the PS if the rest of the team played anywhere near as well at their positions as he did at his.

No way you'll get me to agree to what you're throwing down.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
langer wrote:

Tomlin got production out of AB

Coughlin got production out of Fournette.

Arians got a ring from the same guys.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic