Ben will be back!

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Mick

Re: Ben will be back!

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:18 pm

jeemie wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm

It’s been a decade’s worth of evidence to show that Ben cannot carry this team to a Super Bowl.

But the dreamers gotta keep dreaming, I guess.

Like I said, I’d be happier if I thought Ben staying meant we were closer to a championship.

We’re not so all I can hope for is he ends his career looking better than he did the last several weeks of 2020.

And that he doesn’t go out the way Brett Favre or Dan Marino did.
Not looking for ben to carry us to a super bowl, i’m just hoping that for one time we can enter postseason with some semblance of a complete team. Over the past decade, we had an offense for a few years with no defense, then some decent teams that collapsed due to injuries, and some good defense years with no offense. Last year we had defense and at least reasonable QB play, with the worst run game in Steeler history. I think the 2017 steeler team, if shazier hadn’t been injured, would have had as good a shot as anybody.

I think our defense has a reasonable chance to be top 5 again, certainly top 10, so the only question is whether they can figure out a way to score points. Yes, the schedule will be hard.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:07 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm
Charles Demarr wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:18 pm

I'm in this camp. Love Ben, appreciate Ben etc.

This team just delayed progress by a year. They will not be a playoff team, but they will do just enough to pick in the mid to late teens.
Until the HC is gone, Ben is the best hope for progress this team has. I'll take that bet––I suspect they'll be about as good as last year, meaning they'll be a playoff team.
We can definitely come up with something to wager.
I want in on this wager.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:23 pm
Charles Demarr wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm

Until the HC is gone, Ben is the best hope for progress this team has. I'll take that bet––I suspect they'll be about as good as last year, meaning they'll be a playoff team.
I want in on this wager.
Why?

Why bet against Ben and the Steelers playing well?

You’d rather be proven right about Ben’s supposed demise.

Seems shallow and sad, imo.

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:48 pm

So now we can watch Ben not take snaps under center, run playaction or move in the pocket. Defenses already know how to stop this JV offense where scary Ben throws within 2-3 seconds so he's not hit. This team has zero chance of doing any damage as long as old scary Ben & Coach Cool Breeze are running the offense. I highly doubt Ben will want to run Canada's offense & we will see the same BS offense we saw the last 7 weeks.
Obliteration Is Imminent

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

Well, you can want not to be right, but be super confident you are going to be right and therefore want in on the wager. You can even take pleasure in gloating over others about your being right while preferring that you were wrong.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:02 pm

Stillchest wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

In a word "objectivity"

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Stillchest wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

Its called the emotional hedge bet. I have bet against my teams in the past when I felt very confident they would lose. I figure if they win, I’m happy to have lost the money, it’s usually only a couple bucks ($100-$200) anyway. To me , it’s not about being right or wrong and certainly not about the money.

I figure if I gotta watch my team lose, I might as well make some money on it to take the sting out of the loss.

If my team actually wins, even better.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:50 pm

I agree that Ben has proven can't carry this team but he's also proven he can win a SB with a good D and running game. That's still possible.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm

Stillchest wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

Let me get this straight, because I think the Steelers and especially Roethlisberger are going to struggle mightily this upcoming season, I shouldn’t say so?

.......and when someone offers a wager because they believe Ben is going to have a great year, I’m not a good fan if I want in on that action?

:lol:

Why would I give a flying fuck if folks here thought that was inappropriate?
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 pm

gojira5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:48 pm
So now we can watch Ben not take snaps under center, run playaction or move in the pocket. Defenses already know how to stop this JV offense where scary Ben throws within 2-3 seconds so he's not hit. This team has zero chance of doing any damage as long as old scary Ben & Coach Cool Breeze are running the offense. I highly doubt Ben will want to run Canada's offense & we will see the same BS offense we saw the last 7 weeks.
Compare the offense when they went no-huddle and Ben had more control over the play calling to the offense when it was schemed. It isn't obvious that Ben is opposed to holding the ball longer than 2-3 seconds; he did it when he was calling plays (e.g., felt more like 3-4 seconds).

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:24 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm
Stillchest wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

Let me get this straight, because I think the Steelers and especially Roethlisberger are going to struggle mightily this upcoming season, I shouldn’t say so?

.......and when someone offers a wager because they believe Ben is going to have a great year, I’m not a good fan if I want in on that action?

What does struggle mightily mean?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:30 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:24 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Stillchest wrote:

Why?

I think Ben will b physically beaten up and will not have a good year.

I have sad numerous times the Steelers will miss the playoffs and will finish 3rd in the division.

With Ben nearing complete immobility in the pocket, I don’t think he comes near playing 16 games.

Anything else you need?

Harvey Woodlawn

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:42 pm

I also think this team needs an upgrade at O-line, more depth on D to offset the injuries we always seem to get, upgrades at TE and a better run game.

How we would do all that in a depressed salary cap era is not readily apparent.

And even if we did all that, Mike Tomlin would suddenly have to have a Come to Jesus moment about getting out of the way of his team’s success.

It isn’t happening, so the sooner we flush Mike, the better.

And we won’t begin the clock on doing that until Ben is gone.

This is the long view.

It’s the short view...and sentimental and wishful thinking...that we have a shot at a Lombardi if Ben comes back.

We do not.

So I’m hoping Ben can go out with at least some dignity...and I fear, like KC, that there’s a good chance that does not happen.

Because he’s getting older...because he’s less mobile...and because I don’t see the improvements we need being made.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:36 pm

jeemie wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:42 pm
I also think this team needs an upgrade at O-line, more depth on D to offset the injuries we always seem to get, upgrades at TE and a better run game.

And even if we did all that, Mike Tomlin would suddenly have to have a Come to Jesus moment about getting out of the way of his team’s success.

This is the long view.

It’s the short view...and sentimental and wishful thinking...that we have a shot at a Lombardi if Ben comes back.

We do not.

So I’m hoping Ben can go out with at least some dignity...and I fear, like KC, that there’s a good chance that does not happen.

Because he’s getting older...because he’s less mobile...and because I don’t see the improvements we need being made.
Even if we make some improvements through the draft to shore up the o-line, Mike Munchak isn't walking through that door anytime soon.

Anybody expecting that o-line to work like a well oiled machine next year? They're fucking batshit crazy.

Harvey Woodlawn

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:30 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

I have sad numerous times the Steelers will miss the playoffs and will finish 3rd in the division.

With Ben nearing complete immobility in the pocket, I don’t think he comes near playing 16 games.

Anything else you need?
No -- it lacks in specificity.

1. Does Ben throw for more TDs this year compared to last year?

2. Does Ben throw more interceptions this year than last year?

3. Does Ben have more yards this year than last year?

4. Higher QBR?

5. If less in the above, materially less?

6. What do you think will be the Steelers' record?

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:42 pm

jeemie wrote:

This is the long view.

We do not.

The one thing that perhaps you are missing...Is #11. He could take a big leap to become a top 5 WR in the NFL. Couple that with a still good defense and some marginal improvements on the O-line and if you get hot at the right time?

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 pm
gojira5150 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:48 pm
Compare the offense when they went no-huddle and Ben had more control over the play calling to the offense when it was schemed. It isn't obvious that Ben is opposed to holding the ball longer than 2-3 seconds; he did it when he was calling plays (e.g., felt more like 3-4 seconds).
I agree on this. When Ben runs te no huddle he's definitely a different/better QB and the offense actually moves the ball & scores TD's. They can't run the no huddle all game long thou.
Obliteration Is Imminent

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 pm
K_C_ wrote:
zeke5123 wrote:

Anything else you need?

4. Higher QBR?

I have predicted the Steelers record IF Roethlisberger plays 16 games. 9-7 but 8-8 wouldn’t surprise me.

If Rudolph ends up the primary QB, 6-10 will be the record.

Either way, we aren’t making the playoffs.

Predicting Roethlisberger’s personal stats is far more difficult because, again, I don’t think he comes ANYWHERE NEAR playing 16 games. Probably closer to 10.

Over 16 games I’ll say Roethlisberger throws 28 TD’s with 15 picks.

Harvey Woodlawn

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Anything else you need?

4. Higher QBR?

I have predicted the Steelers record IF Roethlisberger plays 16 games. 9-7 but 8-8 wouldn’t surprise me.

Predicting Roethlisberger’s personal stats is far more difficult because, again, I don’t think he comes ANYWHERE NEAR playing 16 games. Probably closer to 10.

What you just posted doesn't comport with "struggle mightily." It isn't good; just average.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Stillchest wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

I want in on this wager.
Why?

I love my team but I'm also objective. They are going to lose a ton of contributors from last year. Way too many needs for a team with cap issues. Ben restructuring does not make everything better. Unless they have a draft for the ages, this is no better than a 9-7 team next year. No playoffs and a first round selection near pick 20. Not ideal.....

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 pm

I had hopes Ben would retire so we could see the future starting. Since that did not happen, and since I always wear "rose colored" glasses with the Steelers, I hope the following is true as we go forward.

I hope we make a non-negotiable deal with Ben that he will run Canada's offense without complaint (especially his typical passive resistance.) If he doesn't, he is replaced by Rudolph. The offense needs balance.

I also hope we make a non-negotiable deal with Ben that he has to mentor both Rudolph and Haskins. He has to invest in our future, as we have invested in his.

I hope we sign Banner, Sutton, Feiler and Aluala, and sign Vince Williams with a pay cut. In addition, I hope we sign BJ Finney, and Kelvin Beachum at league minimums for depth.

I hope we draft Harris, even if it requires us to trade up. I also want us to take a center and offensive tackle sometime in the first 4 picks. Pick a development receiver later in the draft. It is a receiver deep draft.

I almost never agree with Mark Madden, but he is right today. We have to go all in this year, or keeping Ben just delays the rebuild.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Color me skeptical. /Shrug.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Rebuilding the running game in a single off-season is going to be a chore. Replacing Pouncey is going to be difficult, and you're not doing it in the draft this year even if you use a first rounder on it. Even if Highsmith makes a jump from his rookie year, there's depth on the front 7 to address. TE looks like a glaring issue, and WR depth could use a look if Juju walks in FA. That's a lot to do, for sure, but hey, it's not impossible. Do it, or come close, and you've got something.

If you're dipping your toes into the FA market, a capable stopgap OC (it ain't Hassenauer) is probably the best use of funds. Haven't even looked into that jar of flies yet.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 pm
Rebuilding the running game in a single off-season is going to be a chore. Replacing Pouncey is going to be difficult, and you're not doing it in the draft this year even if you use a first rounder on it. Even if Highsmith makes a jump from his rookie year, there's depth on the front 7 to address. TE looks like a glaring issue, and WR depth could use a look if Juju walks in FA. That's a lot to do, for sure, but hey, it's not impossible. Do it, or come close, and you've got something.

If you're dipping your toes into the FA market, a capable stopgap OC (it ain't Hassenauer) is probably the best use of funds. Haven't even looked into that jar of flies yet.
I think finding a passable center should be relatively easy. Won't be elite, but we haven't had elite in a while. Big upgrade on the line will be getting (hopefully) 16 games out of Dotson. Feiler was terrible last year at guard, Dotson was basically PB caliber. Big upgrade.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:23 pm

jewelsongs wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 pm
I had hopes Ben would retire so we could see the future starting. Since that did not happen, and since I always wear "rose colored" glasses with the Steelers, I hope the following is true as we go forward.

I hope we make a non-negotiable deal with Ben that he will run Canada's offense without complaint (especially his typical passive resistance.) If he doesn't, he is replaced by Rudolph. The offense needs balance.

I also hope we make a non-negotiable deal with Ben that he has to mentor both Rudolph and Haskins. He has to invest in our future, as we have invested in his.

I hope we sign Banner, Sutton, Feiler and Aluala, and sign Vince Williams with a pay cut. In addition, I hope we sign BJ Finney, and Kelvin Beachum at league minimums for depth.

I hope we draft Harris, even if it requires us to trade up. I also want us to take a center and offensive tackle sometime in the first 4 picks. Pick a development receiver later in the draft. It is a receiver deep draft.

I almost never agree with Mark Madden, but he is right today. We have to go all in this year, or keeping Ben just delays the rebuild.
Rudolph and Haskins suck. They aren't the future. I think Ben will be fine with Canada; bigger point is keeping Tomlin limited to giving press conferences.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:44 pm

jeemie wrote:

This is the long view.

We do not.

The bolded supersedes everything. Until that changes, this team will not sniff a Lombardi, even if Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes were at the helm.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:02 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm
Ice wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 pm

I think finding a passable center should be relatively easy. Won't be elite, but we haven't had elite in a while. Big upgrade on the line will be getting (hopefully) 16 games out of Dotson. Feiler was terrible last year at guard, Dotson was basically PB caliber. Big upgrade.
Agreed on Dotson, definitely. For me, OC for a year or so needs to be above Jeff Hartwig level, at least. There's few out there that are going to offer what Pouncey did in the running game, but since we're basically stuck rebuilding it, maybe we don't need the pulling OC. Not easy to get this organization to change 30 or 40 year plans, though. Certainly, to me, more of an FA priority than draft.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:18 pm
jeemie wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm

It’s been a decade’s worth of evidence to show that Ben cannot carry this team to a Super Bowl.

But the dreamers gotta keep dreaming, I guess.

Like I said, I’d be happier if I thought Ben staying meant we were closer to a championship.

We’re not so all I can hope for is he ends his career looking better than he did the last several weeks of 2020.

And that he doesn’t go out the way Brett Favre or Dan Marino did.
Not looking for ben to carry us to a super bowl, i’m just hoping that for one time we can enter postseason with some semblance of a complete team. Over the past decade, we had an offense for a few years with no defense, then some decent teams that collapsed due to injuries, and some good defense years with no offense. Last year we had defense and at least reasonable QB play, with the worst run game in Steeler history. I think the 2017 steeler team, if shazier hadn’t been injured, would have had as good a shot as anybody.

I think our defense has a reasonable chance to be top 5 again, certainly top 10, so the only question is whether they can figure out a way to score points. Yes, the schedule will be hard.
Agreed on Shazier.

Also would have been a much different story had Bush and Bud not gone down this yr.

Love to see Dupree back. If so I’ll lean towards top 5 on D. If we lose him, top 10-15 is my guess.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:18 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm
zeke5123 wrote:

4. Higher QBR?

What you just posted doesn't comport with "struggle mightily." It isn't good; just average.
Um......28 TD's and 15 picks? IF and that is a HUGE IF a 40 year old, brittle-boned QB who has taken an unbelievable amount of punishment since 2004, lasts 16 games?

I don't think 28 and 15 is good at all, but hey......perception is everything. Especially from a guy we all acknowledge should be a first ballot HOFer.

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic