PennyBacker wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:38 pm
Speculative names I am seeing:

Kliff Kingsbury
Bobby Slowik
Eric Bieniemy
Shane Waldron
Pep Hamilton
I wouldn’t face palm with Waldron. No idea how we could pull Slowik without offering the Head Coach job (which i would do, but seems unlikely).
you do not pull Slowik if you are only interviewing former OCs
not sure if you are claiming slowik has never been an OC or if you just phrased this poorly.

But even if tomlin wants someone with OC experience, he’s also pretty clearly been told he has to change his OC hiring approach, so i wiuldn’t be surprised if at least some candidates don’t have OC experience.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:31 pm

Dave Canales impressed me yesterday albeit against a pretty leaky Lions defense.
He's a guy that should be getting HC interviews.

Not sure why Aaron Glenn is a HC candidate.
I'm sure he's a lovely human, but a chopped liver DC.

As bad as the Steelers' secondary is, I know I don't miss Cam Sutton in the slightest.
Been getting torched in these playoffs.

Pete King in his column this morning mentioned a name I had not heard in Rams passing game coordinator Jake Peetz as a possible candidate for Steelers' OC.

From the McVay/Shanny tree with college stops at Bama and LSU and a scouting background with the Jags.

I still think Art double douche goes with a bigger retread name (ANYONE other than ART SMITH).

Doesn't seem to be any urgency.
Shocking
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:35 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:31 pm
Dave Canales impressed me yesterday albeit against a pretty leaky Lions defense.

As bad as the Steelers' secondary is, I know I don't miss Cam Sutton in the slightest.

Pete King in his column this morning mentioned a name I had not heard in Rams passing game coordinator Jake Peetz as a possible candidate for Steelers' OC.

From the McVay/Shanny tree with college stops at Bama and LSU and a scouting background with the Jags.

I still think Art double douche goes with a bigger retread name (ANYONE other than ART SMITH).

Shocking
Well if they wanted someone who is still in the playoffs, they have to wait.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:44 pm

Lions, 9ers, and texans are the teams i’d be looking at.

From the Lions, Engstrand is probably the best candidate, but interesting to see Randle El and Scottie Montgomery with some quality resumes built up at this point.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:35 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:31 pm

Shocking
Well if they wanted someone who is still in the playoffs, they have to wait.
Plenty of potential candidates out there not in the playoffs.

Perhaps Rooney just a master of keeping these interviews under wraps.
Cloak and dagger
Covert ops if you will

More likely they haven't even started.
Can't interrupt those afternoon naps.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:30 pm
jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:06 pm
Mick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 pm

I wouldn’t face palm with Waldron. No idea how we could pull Slowik without offering the Head Coach job (which i would do, but seems unlikely).
you do not pull Slowik if you are only interviewing former OCs
not sure if you are claiming slowik has never been an OC or if you just phrased this poorly.

But even if tomlin wants someone with OC experience, he’s also pretty clearly been told he has to change his OC hiring approach, so i wiuldn’t be surprised if at least some candidates don’t have OC experience.
Slowik had no previous OC experience before being promoted. My point is why not interview passing coordinators, QB coaches and Wr coaches to see if they have some interesting ideas.

I realized that Slowik was promoted because Ryans knew him from SF but you are not going to know anyone unless you do a lot of interviews.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:45 pm

Honestly, I'm considerably more intrigued by the list of potential candidates without OC experience than I am by the list of candidates with it.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:45 pm
Honestly, I'm considerably more intrigued by the list of potential candidates without OC experience than I am by the list of candidates with it.
not sure who would be more of interest than a klint kubiak?

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm
Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:45 pm
not sure who would be more of interest than a klint kubiak?
I agree.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:06 pm

I'd definitely dig Kubiak, but Day, Peetz, et. al are certainly more interesting than any of the older, more re-tread OC experienced candidates.

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:12 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:06 pm
I'd definitely dig Kubiak, but Day, Peetz, et. al are certainly more interesting than any of the older, more re-tread OC experienced candidates.
day and peetz have OC/playcaller experience.

If you are trying to say you are more interested in young successful guys than old failures, I think we are all on the same page.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:34 pm

Since Johnson or Slowik are looking for HC gigs, Kubiak or Peetz would be the top 2 guys we should be considering but ya, that Arthur Smith connection is making me very uneasy.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 pm

Steeler requested an interview with Rams Passing Coordinator Zac Robinson

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/ ... 9MHKZ1QjFg
Source: The Steelers and Raiders have put in slips to interview Rams pass-game coordinator Zac Robinson for their OC jobs. Robinson interviews with the Patriots tomorrow, previously interviewed with the Bears.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

TTP

Post by TTP » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 pm

Source: The Steelers and Raiders have put in slips to interview Rams pass-game coordinator Zac Robinson for their OC jobs. Robinson interviews with the Patriots tomorrow, previously interviewed with the Bears.
Definitely OK with this....Shanahan/McVay tree. Theoretically brings modern passing game concepts.
"A sedan is usually functional. This offense looks more like a broken down 80’s chevette being driven by 85 year old Chinese woman."

-SteelPro

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:11 pm

What do people think of Rams pass game coordinator Zac Robinson?

Supposedly the Steelers are showing to interview him.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:15 pm

TTP wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm
jebrick wrote:

Definitely OK with this....Shanahan/McVay tree. Theoretically brings modern passing game concepts.
Why would the Steelers be an attractive job for any coach, who wishes to rise the NFL ranks, potentially becoming a HC?

What OC worth a shit would agree to work under the thumb of Mike Tomlin?

Honest question.

More than likely, Steelers hire a retread like Arthur Smith because....he's not in demand and has little chance of becoming a HC again.

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:17 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:11 pm

If he's young, with modern football schematics, why would he choose to work under Mike Tomlin's thumb?

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:18 pm

jeemie wrote:

not a big paper trail. Pretty nice 1st season as PGC.

I think general expectation is that we’ll hire someone worse than that.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:12 pm
Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:06 pm
day and peetz have OC/playcaller experience.

If you are trying to say you are more interested in young successful guys than old failures, I think we are all on the same page.
I don't know if the term used was "OC" or "playcalling" experience, and I'm not sure I give enough credit to not think they'd use something like that to justify going with a retread over younger and more talented.

Encouraged by the Zac Robinson interview, though.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:00 pm

I’m fine with any of the names mentioned

If I was running the Steelers

The offense would be multiple

TE and RB heavy vs smaller faster teams

QB an WR heavy vs bigger slower teams

Etc etc

Rooney is the single biggest threat to a better offense

Hopefully Tomlin can steer him and Khan and Weidl in the right direction like he did with this last draft
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:24 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:00 pm
I’m fine with any of the names mentioned

If I was running the Steelers

The offense would be multiple

TE and RB heavy vs smaller faster teams

QB an WR heavy vs bigger slower teams

Etc etc

Rooney is the single biggest threat to a better offense

Hopefully Tomlin can steer him and Khan and Weidl in the right direction like he did with this last draft
Art II and Tomlin are of similar ilk.

Tomlin (missionary man) is more conservative than Cowher ever was and far more controlling, needing his thumb on every aspect of play calling.

Tomlin exhibits narcissistic behavior, like his fossil of a boss.

Tomlin doesn't want "multiple" something that he doesn't understand nor have interest in.

Everyone pining for a young, innovative schematic O-coordinator will continue to pine in futility.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 pm

jeemie wrote:

From the McVay tree? Check!

Good buddy of Mason (from OSU days)? Check!

Has limited play calling experience? Check!

As long as Tomlin leaves him the F alone on O, I'd take him.

Orlaco

Post by Orlaco » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:49 am

Any OC that sticks with ‘Kenny’ (Christ…most kids ditch the ‘ny’ with the first ounce of testosterone)..is done.

He’s horrible. A joke. As my (he doesn’t know me) friend KC once wrote (about Big Ben..but he denies to this day), he’s the next Ryan Leaf. ..except Leaf actually was an NFL talent.

Steelers stick with ‘Ken’…they’re fucked. We all all know it.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 am

Waldron would've been a good choice. Bears did good there. Zac Robinson is a good choice. Very encouraging as pointed out. Hope he's interested. I'm on the fence with Kubiak. But would be a huge upgrade over what Tomlin forced on us since Haley.

A Zac Robinson type would be huge, in my opinion.

Randel El, hmmm. Would love El as the new WR coach & Zac Robinson as OC. That would do wonders I think. Be a great start for the offense improvements. Not sure how I'd feel about Randel El as an OC though. He is smart, relatable & familiar. Has a wide offensive back ground.

Got to be better than Canada. Would love to get him here, just not sure, to be the OC though. Maybe WR coach, QB coach, offensive assistant or a combo.

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:58 am

When evaluating OC's for This team, the first questions you need to ask are:

1. "How well would he do in a culture of complacency and a HC who follows his gut?"

2. "Is he an independent thinking leader, that can tread his own path and build an offense outside the mold of the Steelers current culture?"

3. "Is he a yes-man that will regurgitate the same low risk, 9-8 striving offense plans"

#2 is what we need, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone in that mold that would come here, and risk ruining his career aspirations.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:09 am

TTP wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm
jebrick wrote:

Not only this...but he was Mason Rudolph's mentor...Mason actually lived with him for a few months while prepping for his pro day and the draft.

So more than just "good buddies"

Hmm...

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 am

the-other-burg wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:58 am
When evaluating OC's for This team, the first questions you need to ask are:

1. "How well would he do in a culture of complacency and a HC who follows his gut?"

2. "Is he an independent thinking leader, that can tread his own path and build an offense outside the mold of the Steelers current culture?"

3. "Is he a yes-man that will regurgitate the same low risk, 9-8 striving offense plans"

#2 is what we need, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone in that mold that would come here, and risk ruining his career aspirations.
It’s not about “career aspirations” if the money is right

Unfortunately Rooney looks to significantly underpay the coaching staff

Unless that changes in a notable and lasting way I’m not expecting much
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:23 am

Orlaco wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:49 am
Any OC that sticks with ‘Kenny’ (Christ…most kids ditch the ‘ny’ with the first ounce of testosterone)..is done.

He’s horrible. A joke. As my (he doesn’t know me) friend KC once wrote (about Big Ben..but he denies to this day), he’s the next Ryan Leaf. ..except Leaf actually was an NFL talent.

Steelers stick with ‘Ken’…they’re fucked. We all all know it.
I don't know it. I've only seen him under the tutelage of QB killers Canada & Sullivan. Those guys killed every QB & offense they touched here.

Now, don't get me wrong, he may very well suck. And I've seen nothing that says he'll ever be a cornerstone. But, until you see him with different coaching, you can't say for sure. We all know the coaching is/was piss poor.

Same thing was said about Mason. He seemed better by playing with the off script, 4th quarter Ben, last chance attitude. Same was said about Goff with his first coaching debacle. Dude looks like one of the best QBs in the league this year, now that he has the right coaching & scheme.

We all know any QB the Steelers would have had playing the last 4 years was doomed playing well behind the "eight ball". He at least deserves a shot with some real NFL level & experienced guidance in my opinion.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:29 am

I’m all for moving on from Pickett

However

This team is NOT gonna go after a QB early in the draft and they are unlikely to put a lot of money in a FA QB

I think Pickett is gonna get another year by default or worse case scenario is in a Latrobe competition for the starting spot
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:52 am

Hey if Zach Robinson is the carrot to keep Mason Rudolph on the team and keeps Kenny firmly planted on the bench I'm ok with that hire.

Of course Mason isnt any kind of answer, but my HOPE is he'd at least make the Steelers watchable until their franchise qb is landed hopefully in 2025.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic