Re: Steelers Trade For Justin Fields

Post by W&M_Steeler » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:41 pm

CoolShades wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:24 pm
drmalba wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:21 pm
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:50 pm
Paxton Lynch, Dwayne Haskins, Mitch Trubisky, Justin Fields... Tomlin has been on a first round bust reclamation project the past few years. I expect Fields will turn out just as well as those did.

At least a 2025 6th is essentially nothing (especially since the Steelers have 3 7th rounders next year :lol: ). I just hope they don't jump the gun an execute Fields' option.
Ive been thinking a lot about Dwayne Haskins, especislly.last year seeing Kenny regress. IMO His untimely and still baffling death is a huge part of why we ended up on the trajectory we did. By all accounts he was a reclamation project that was actually pointing in the right direction. It's impossible to say for sure, but maybe with Haskins Trubisky Rudolph I'm not so sure we reach on KP8 in the first round. I'm fairly sure Trubisky still would have proved a complete turd, and Rudolph is now our starter.
Go watch Haskins on film. He had terrible mechanics. He was another waste of a roster spot.

Tomlin clearly hated Mason. Not sure why, but he did.

He has no idea what he’s doing with QBs. 17 years. Without Ben, he’s nothing.
I think we should go get Josh Rosen to be the #3. One of these days, Tomlin's going to turn a first round bust into a franchise QB, I just know it!

Bloinshted

Post by Bloinshted » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 pm

I'm just jumping on to say this has been an exciting off season and if you can't get excited about what the Steelers are doing then you probably never will. I'm stoked to see what Wilson and Fields can do with us.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm
@swissvale72 Neither one is good. Fields can run better and has a stronger arm.

He needs a really clever coaching staff to even get marginally effective play out of him-- I doubt that's waiting for him in Pittsburgh.

Also, he turns the ball over like he gets a performance bonus for them. 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!!) turnovers in 40 games.
Point of correction, per our old friend Hesske. Fields did throw 30 picks. He did fumble 38 times. BUT…27 of those fumbles were recovered by the bears. Soo…41 turnovers, not 68. Yes, still a lot.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 am

swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
@swissvale72 Neither one is good. Fields can run better and has a stronger arm.

He needs a really clever coaching staff to even get marginally effective play out of him-- I doubt that's waiting for him in Pittsburgh.

Also, he turns the ball over like he gets a performance bonus for them. 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!!) turnovers in 40 games.
Point of correction, per our old friend Hesske. Fields did throw 30 picks. He did fumble 38 times. BUT…27 of those fumbles were recovered by the bears. Soo…41 turnovers, not 68. Yes, still a lot.
Yes sorry I did know that and that’s what I meant to say… still an incredible lack of ball security.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:

For about the past two decades, tOSU has been elite at scheming. To me, the best in college football. Case and point, I still remember Haskins completing a 90+ yard GWD back in 2018, and the majority of it was clever play calling and his receivers making impressive RAC yards. Stroud is the first Buckeyes' QB to effectively transition his success and talent to the next level, at least that I can identify.

Justin Fields has lots of athletic ability, very similar to Kordell. Having a player like Wilson ahead of him, who at his peak had very similar abilities, could be exactly what he needs to get an idea of how to pattern his game.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 am

Steel Bingo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:

For about the past two decades, tOSU has been elite at scheming. To me, the best in college football. Case and point, I still remember Haskins completing a 90+ yard GWD back in 2018, and the majority of it was clever play calling and his receivers making impressive RAC yards. Stroud is the first Buckeyes' QB to effectively transition his success and talent to the next level, at least that I can identify.

Justin Fields has lots of athletic ability, very similar to Kordell. Having a player like Wilson ahead of him, who at his peak had very similar abilities, could be exactly what he needs to get an idea of how to pattern his game.
Yes and absolutely he tantalizes with flashes... but it's gonna be a very familiar not see/hesitate/late on throws that he witnessed with KP & Trubisky

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:27 pm

Ideally, RussCooks and we see Fields padding large leads in the 2nd half.

I mean, "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail." :mrgreen:

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:58 pm

The fumbles for Fields are troubling but you have to put that in context of someone that loves to run a lot. Still concerning.

But, as B2B said, the bigger concern is between the ears with Fields. If you can't scan the field after multiple years in the NFL, your chances of developing that all of a sudden are just wishful thinking in today's NFL.

I don't believe for a second that he will all of a sudden flip a switch and start progressing through his reads properly. The guy I saw is someone that likes to have really open receivers before he throws.

TTP

Post by TTP » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm

Justin Fields flashes and has ton of talent and he's obviously an elite runner. But, the negatives are extreme:

Int - 3.1%
Sacks - 12.4%
Fumbles - 38

Among starting QBs over the last 3 season, the INT and sack percentages are both dead last. I don't know about the fumbles but can't imagine anyone having more of the last 3 seasons (to be fair, the fumbles are mostly a product of getting sacked so much). If you plotted these on a single graph, Justin Fields would be all by himself, an extreme outlier.

That's a lot to overcome.

But, the Steelers got him for nothing so it's still worth the gamble despite extremely long odds of a payout. If nothing else, the games that he plays will be exciting!

For comparison only, here are Pickett's numbers:

Int - 1.8%
Sacks - 6.6%
Fumbles - 6
"A sedan is usually functional. This offense looks more like a broken down 80’s chevette being driven by 85 year old Chinese woman."

-SteelPro

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 am
Steel Bingo wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Yes and absolutely he tantalizes with flashes... but it's gonna be a very familiar not see/hesitate/late on throws that he witnessed with KP & Trubisky
Sure much of his tape shows that but still worth a shot given obvious talent Fields has. Smith rebuilt Tannehill from a bust into an above average starter. Prior to that I don't recall anyone thinking Tannehill would be anything more than a draft bust after he left Miami.

For what amounts to a 5th round draft pick? Rolling dice on Fields is more than worth it. Taking shots at getting a QB worth a damn especially cheaply is a sentiment I'm sure you agree with.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:18 pm

steelclan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 am
Steel Bingo wrote:

Sure much of his tape shows that but still worth a shot given obvious talent Fields has. Smith rebuilt Tannehill from a bust into an above average starter. Prior to that I don't recall anyone thinking Tannehill would be anything more than a draft bust after he left Miami.

For what amounts to a 5th round draft pick? Rolling dice on Fields is more than worth it. Taking shots at getting a QB worth a damn especially cheaply is a sentiment I'm sure you agree with.
Actually the present value of a 7th-round pick. And, yes, if you're going to use draft capital on reclamation projects, somebody with some upside that costs you that little on a one-year deal... nearly best-case scenario.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 pm

Fields on the Ravens. Jackson on the Bears. What would have been different? I mean, Jackson still can't read a defense. Fields has a better arm. Jackson prob slightly better runner.

Key difference is Ravens have built two different offenses specifically for Jackson's talents. The run first approach as a young player. And the one read, if not there scramble and either run or throw deep offense they deploy now.

I'm not expecting the Steelers to get MVP play from Fields, but a guy can dream at least.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:29 pm

I like Lamar. Dude is a total gamer.

MVP and QB of a #1 scoring offense is nothing to sneeze at.

Hasn't translated to the PS and he'll almost certainly retire without a ring.

PS at QB requires the ability to come from behind which means throwing the football which Lamar doesn't suck at but he's not elite.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Lamar sucks against good defenses. He really does. But, he's Joe Montana at reading defenses compared to Justin Fields.

Have you all watched Fields lately? He's got guys running wide open and just doesn't recognize it. That's why he holds onto the ball so long, takes sacks, and fumbles.

He has a HOF arm and legs, but if you can't process in the NFL, you are done. So far, he hasn't been able to process. I don't know why we think all of a sudden he will now. I hope to God I'm wrong, but it's highly unlikely he can really develop. That's why the Bears got a 6th rounder NEXT yr.

Don't put your hopes in Fields. Now Wilson I could see getting excited about if he can find the fountain of youth for a year or two and we protect him.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 pm

franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm
Lamar sucks against good defenses. He really does. But, he's Joe Montana at reading defenses compared to Justin Fields.

Have you all watched Fields lately? He's got guys running wide open and just doesn't recognize it. That's why he holds onto the ball so long, takes sacks, and fumbles.

He has a HOF arm and legs, but if you can't process in the NFL, you are done. So far, he hasn't been able to process. I don't know why we think all of a sudden he will now. I hope to God I'm wrong, but it's highly unlikely he can really develop. That's why the Bears got a 6th rounder NEXT yr.

Don't put your hopes in Fields. Now Wilson I could see getting excited about if he can find the fountain of youth for a year or two and we protect him.
Not putting hope in Fields is good advice. I'm with you. But HOF arm and legs is a good start. And i've seen our previous HOF QB missing wide open guys and holding the ball too long . . . so I'm saying there's a chance

Rod & Wire Mill

Post by Rod & Wire Mill » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

TTP wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm
Justin Fields flashes and has ton of talent and he's obviously an elite runner. But, the negatives are extreme:

Int - 3.1%
Sacks - 12.4%
Fumbles - 38

Among starting QBs over the last 3 season, the INT and sack percentages are both dead last. I don't know about the fumbles but can't imagine anyone having more of the last 3 seasons (to be fair, the fumbles are mostly a product of getting sacked so much). If you plotted these on a single graph, Justin Fields would be all by himself, an extreme outlier.

But, the Steelers got him for nothing so it's still worth the gamble despite extremely long odds of a payout. If nothing else, the games that he plays will be exciting!

Int - 1.8%
Sacks - 6.6%
Fumbles - 6
And Justin comes to a HC who destroys QB’s because of ball security, with a porous OL. Factor in Wilson’s and Justin’s sack rates and I can’t see the excitement for these guys. At best, I see limping to NHALS and the first plank in bridging while a new franchise QB gestates (literally, cause the kid may not even have been born yet). Look at the time span between the last two.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

I know many have discussed it here but one thing that is surprising is no one I've seen in football pundit land has picked up on. Khan has milked the Bears two years running. No guarantee Fields amounts to anything but given how cheap it was to get him and ditching Clayfool for perhaps best CB this team has drafted since Ike?

Fairly remarkable.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm

steelclan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm
I know many have discussed it here but one thing that is surprising is no one I've seen in football pundit land has picked up on. Khan has milked the Bears two years running. No guarantee Fields amounts to anything but given how cheap it was to get him and ditching Clayfool for perhaps best CB this team has drafted since Ike?

Fairly remarkable.

Chase Claypool and a 6th rounder for Joey Porter Jr. and Justin Fields.

Not a bad swap.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm
steelclan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

Fairly remarkable.

Chase Claypool and a 6th rounder for Joey Porter Jr. and Justin Fields.

Not a bad swap.
So you’re OK with giving up a top 3 WR for a skinny defender and failed first round QB?

:mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

lifelongsteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 pm
franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Not putting hope in Fields is good advice. I'm with you. But HOF arm and legs is a good start. And i've seen our previous HOF QB missing wide open guys and holding the ball too long . . . so I'm saying there's a chance
Better chance of getting fooled into believing you have something that matters than having him pan out to our next franchise QB. Only 1 year and he's not even the starter.

Don't get wrong, I have already ordered a large stockpile of popcorn and I will be highly entertained this season

One of my push backs is to the supposed genius of this move and the supposed fleecing of the bears when neither of them are true.

It's fine to go this route as long as a stupid decision is not made in the end.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 pm

So the cute nickname for the QB room is going to be DangerField now?

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

TTP wrote:

Int - 3.1%
Sacks - 12.4%
Fumbles - 38

Int - 1.8%
Sacks - 6.6%
Fumbles - 6
Damn.

Hope Fields doesn’t have some freakishly small hands. Could cause him to fumble frequently. :lol:
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

beerbrother wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm
TTP wrote:

Int - 3.1%
Sacks - 12.4%
Fumbles - 38

Int - 1.8%
Sacks - 6.6%
Fumbles - 6
Damn.

Hope Fields doesn’t have some freakishly small hands. Could cause him to fumble frequently. :lol:
No worries.

Tomlin and Artie will condition Fields to death on "protecting the football, take almost no risks, get to 3 rd down, shorten the game, and all drives ending in a kick are a success " football philosophy. Fields will actually look like a worse QB, than he did in Chicago.

Then the media will praise Tomlin for giving JF a second chance, while blaming the Bears for poor player evaluation and development.

Nothing changes until Tomlin is gone.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

jmacinwbp wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 am
As bad as Pickett's OC, and Oline has been most of the time, I'd bet Fields had a much worse situation, and wasn't in a position to win/lose anywhere near as many close games as Pickett did in the last two years.
One of the reasons one had a chance to win games late was not turning the ball over.
Isn't it still the #1 W/L metric? Win the turnover battle and win the game?

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

TTP wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 am
The Bears should not answer the phone when Khan calls.

Porter Jr and Fields for Claypool and a 6th.
I think that goes back to the old days of the league as well as BLESTO.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Just to be clear,

I would have been thrilled to have drafted Justin Fields. Playmaker with tools.

Now that he's here I'd rather see him on the field than an aging not gracefully Wilson.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 pm

Needed to check out something with reports of fields being a “turnover machine.”

Josh allen, Jalen hurts, Brock Purdue, joe fucco, tua…and others, all had higher interception percentages

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:45 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 pm
Needed to check out something with reports of fields being a “turnover machine.”

Josh allen, Jalen hurts, Brock Purdue, joe fucco, tua…and others, all had higher interception percentages
Good info Swiss

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:50 pm

Havoc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:45 pm
swissvale72 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 pm

Good info Swiss
30 interceptions in 3 years isn’t particularly high, although you’d like it to be better. 36 fumbles, on the other hand…
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Havoc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 pm
Just to be clear,

I would have been thrilled to have drafted Justin Fields. Playmaker with tools.

Now that he's here I'd rather see him on the field than an aging not gracefully Wilson.
A "Has Been" versus a "Never Was." I'd go with Russ the Has Been. He showed he still might have something left last year. Fields' weaknesses are mental issues that rarely improve. At this point, he's a running QB. Running QBs don't win anything significant. I doubt that Russ will either, but I think it's somewhat less farfetched to think the Steelers could make a run with Russ than with Fields.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic