The Steelers are now officially the........

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelclan

Re: The Steelers are now officially the........

Post by steelclan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:31 am

Greeksteel wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 am
Gerry Dulac
@gerrydulac
·
5h
Russell Wilson signed a one-year contract with the Steelers for the vet minimum because the Broncos were paying him $39 million in 2024. But Wilson and the Steelers intend to do a longer deal at the end of the season, per sources.
I suspect that will be far less likely if Wilson shits the bed.

Also Dulac gets things wrong all the damn time. Just a few weeks ago he said; PS had zero interest in Wilson or Fields. I miss Ed Bouchette.
Last edited by steelclan on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 am

So...is the argument here that the Steelers should have stuck with Pickett for consistency's sake? Because being patient is supposedly the Steelers way? I don't get it.

Mind you, the reason the Steelers ditched Pickett, and which people are kind of glossing over...is because he whined like a little bitch and demanded a trade. He'd be the back-up this season with a chance to still develop if he simply accepted that his own performance had been mediocre and he needed to improve.

The Browns are the Browns because they make stupid decisions. The Steelers whiffed on their future QB. So that is Browns like. But sticking with that decision because of some mantra about being patient would have been an even worse decision.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:08 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:49 am
https://youtu.be/321WmnbWuAA?si=eyXxpkNQt-i3XXlq
What the fuck does this guy know though.
He seems to know Russ sucks.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 am

Jobu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:23 am
The Steelers probably had the worst QB room in the league last season. And I only say probably because Mason Rudolph was able to put together two good games and two “okay” games at the end of the season.
Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett were the worst QBs on NFL rosters last year.
Attachments
IMG_2586.gif
IMG_2586.gif (254.58 KiB) Viewed 566 times

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 am
So...is the argument here that the Steelers should have stuck with Pickett for consistency's sake? Because being patient is supposedly the Steelers way? I don't get it.

Mind you, the reason the Steelers ditched Pickett, and which people are kind of glossing over...is because he whined like a little bitch and demanded a trade. He'd be the back-up this season with a chance to still develop if he simply accepted that his own performance had been mediocre and he needed to improve.

The Browns are the Browns because they make stupid decisions. The Steelers whiffed on their future QB. So that is Browns like. But sticking with that decision because of some mantra about being patient would have been an even worse decision.
I think you boosted his performance to mediocre is wrong. Rudolph was mediocre. We had not seen average QB play in so long it looked like revelation.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:15 pm

CKSteeler wrote:

I don’t blame Pickett for wanting to leave.

He was lied to. Moreover, Mitch was lied to and Mason was lied to. He saw it with his own eyes the last 2 seasons, and those guys all talked. No way he could trust Tomlin. That ship sailed. Like last year, there was not going to be a QB competition. Wilson has the backing of Heyward, MInkah, and I’m sure others. Mediocre Mike was not going to upset that apple cart.

The entire QB room last year was bad, but was that Pickett’s fault? The “Steeler Way” has given us Mike Tomlin and his garbage coaching hires. And last year’s QB room. Pickett was never set up for success. None of the QBs were. You can bet that Mitch and Mason are also both thrilled to get away from the dysfunctional Mike Tomlin Steelers.

You criticize patience, and yet you ignore the last 13 years of Mike Tomlin? You know the guy he lost to in the Steelers last SB was fired by Green Bay, right? And McCarthy has a better post season record than Jibbs (11-11, including 10-8 in GB). Not good enough for GB.

But hey. NHALS. Patience. It’s the Steelers way.

Also, players like Heyward openly lobbied for Russell Wilson. That’s nice. The defensive captain pushes for another WPMOY winner to come in and be the QB? Who the fuck is Cam Heyward and what has HE ever won to lobby for a change at QB? Cam and his 1-7 playoff record. Kenny Pickett wasn’t here for all that losing. But hey, it’s all about Jibbs and his coaching genius. He’s a victim of circumstances (HE didn't want Mitch! He didn’t want Pickett either! That was Colbert’s final middle finger to the Steelers! Art2 made that draft pick! It was Rooney’s Aunt Millie! Anyone but Tomlin). And when a guy praises his HC, says he will never play for anyone else, and gets excited when they achieve NHALS, you must know that Jibbs listens to him. They both have the same goals - Participation trophies and NHALS. Maybe now Heyward will get to wear his WPMOY patch on his jersey! Good for you, Cam. Another individual award. No ring, but hey, Cam has NHALS also. The mark of sustained mediocrity. They should all get to wear NHALS patches on their jerseys, because that’s all this organization cares about now.

In case you haven’t noticed, the Browns have had more playoff success lately than the Steelers. The Steelers are going nowhere as long as Jibbs is HC. He’s never developed a QB. He doesn’t know how. And without a QB, well... we know where it ends.

Tomlin is 0-5-1 in his last 6 games against rookie head coaches (Not too impressive for a supposed HOF coach.)

before the 2023 playoffs, 26 head coaches had won a playoff game since Tomlin last won a playoff game.

No playoff wins in 7 seasons,

3-9 in his last 12 playoff games.

But trust in Jibbs. Patience.

I’m sure it will all turn around this season.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 am
Jobu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:23 am
The Steelers probably had the worst QB room in the league last season. And I only say probably because Mason Rudolph was able to put together two good games and two “okay” games at the end of the season.
Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett were the worst QBs on NFL rosters last year.
Attachments
IMG_2586.gif
IMG_2586.gif (254.58 KiB) Viewed 38 times
:lol:
Zach Wilson sucks. I’d take him over Little Kenny and Mitch, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday! ;)
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:15 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:08 am
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
LOL

I trust that Mark Schlereth knows what he's talking about on this.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 pm

Havoc wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:15 pm
stillthere wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
LOL

Hopefully he is wrong and mostly everyone here is right.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:38 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 pm
Havoc wrote:
stillthere wrote:

LOL

LOL

If our OL is better this season it will make the QB look better no matter who is taking the snaps

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:27 pm

Havoc wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:38 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Havoc wrote:

LOL

LOL

If our OL is better this season it will make the QB look better no matter who is taking the snaps
Yes. Is Dan Moore going to morph into an all pro? Is Jones going to take a step back, which would be a nightmare, like most of our recent draft picks have been doing their2nd year? Center needs addressed in the worst way. Can't run Smith Offense with a shitty line with any qb let alone a 36 year old. I guess we have to trust Tomlin, he has re-built the o-line before🤔😳

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Unless Arthur Smith was given complete autonomy over the offense, Wilson's ceiling is probably 1 or 2 levels below what he was doing in DEN.

And then, just after half the season, they'll go to Fields and we'll see he's even worse than he was in CHI.

Going to be fun to watch either way. If Wilson still has something left, they might actually at least look like a contender if the defense is solid again. Otherwise, the meltdowns, whining and dysfunction will be highly entertaining!

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:59 pm

CoolShades wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:15 pm
CKSteeler wrote:

He was lied to. Moreover, Mitch was lied to and Mason was lied to. He saw it with his own eyes the last 2 seasons, and those guys all talked. No way he could trust Tomlin. That ship sailed. Like last year, there was not going to be a QB competition. Wilson has the backing of Heyward, MInkah, and I’m sure others. Mediocre Mike was not going to upset that apple cart.

The entire QB room last year was bad, but was that Pickett’s fault? The “Steeler Way” has given us Mike Tomlin and his garbage coaching hires. And last year’s QB room. Pickett was never set up for success. None of the QBs were. You can bet that Mitch and Mason are also both thrilled to get away from the dysfunctional Mike Tomlin Steelers.

You criticize patience, and yet you ignore the last 13 years of Mike Tomlin? You know the guy he lost to in the Steelers last SB was fired by Green Bay, right? And McCarthy has a better post season record than Jibbs (11-11, including 10-8 in GB). Not good enough for GB.

Also, players like Heyward openly lobbied for Russell Wilson. That’s nice. The defensive captain pushes for another WPMOY winner to come in and be the QB? Who the fuck is Cam Heyward and what has HE ever won to lobby for a change at QB? Cam and his 1-7 playoff record. Kenny Pickett wasn’t here for all that losing. But hey, it’s all about Jibbs and his coaching genius. He’s a victim of circumstances (HE didn't want Mitch! He didn’t want Pickett either! That was Colbert’s final middle finger to the Steelers! Art2 made that draft pick! It was Rooney’s Aunt Millie! Anyone but Tomlin). And when a guy praises his HC, says he will never play for anyone else, and gets excited when they achieve NHALS, you must know that Jibbs listens to him. They both have the same goals - Participation trophies and NHALS. Maybe now Heyward will get to wear his WPMOY patch on his jersey! Good for you, Cam. Another individual award. No ring, but hey, Cam has NHALS also. The mark of sustained mediocrity. They should all get to wear NHALS patches on their jerseys, because that’s all this organization cares about now.

In case you haven’t noticed, the Browns have had more playoff success lately than the Steelers. The Steelers are going nowhere as long as Jibbs is HC. He’s never developed a QB. He doesn’t know how. And without a QB, well... we know where it ends.

Tomlin is 0-5-1 in his last 6 games against rookie head coaches (Not too impressive for a supposed HOF coach.)

before the 2023 playoffs, 26 head coaches had won a playoff game since Tomlin last won a playoff game.

No one I've seen you throw out the but Tomlin argument for is a fan of Mike Tomlin or anything close to a fan of Mike Tomlin. You are arguing with ghosts there.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:55 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 pm
Unless Arthur Smith was given complete autonomy over the offense, Wilson's ceiling is probably 1 or 2 levels below what he was doing in DEN.

And then, just after half the season, they'll go to Fields and we'll see he's even worse than he was in CHI.

Going to be fun to watch either way. If Wilson still has something left, they might actually at least look like a contender if the defense is solid again. Otherwise, the meltdowns, whining and dysfunction will be highly entertaining!
this is where I'm at

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:58 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Havoc wrote:
stillthere wrote:

LOL

I did need a good laugh. Thank you for that.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:00 pm

.Kodiak wrote:

The Clevelinsanity of it.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:32 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:59 pm
CoolShades wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:15 pm
CKSteeler wrote:

No one I've seen you throw out the but Tomlin argument for is a fan of Mike Tomlin or anything close to a fan of Mike Tomlin. You are arguing with ghosts there.
Not exactly.

I’m just pointing out that this entire QB debate has shifted scrutiny from where it belongs. Arguing over Wilson and Fields as if either is a solution is a waste of time. The Steelers are a dysfunctional mess, and have been for a while. It’s infuriating.

When someone defends the trading of Pickett because being patient with him is stupid, I just point out how no one is talking about the unlimited patience Jibbs is afforded. Pickett didn’t draft himself to the Steelers. They provided him little in the way of competent coaching, a decent offensive line, or an NFL offensive scheme. They mismanaged his development completely. Why invest a #1 pick into a QB if you aren’t going to give him all the required support? (That’s what has me terrified of Fields, by the way. Chicago did that, and he still sucked.)

Anyhow, I’m just weary of Jibbs. He’s taken the joy out of being a fan of this team. We are all prisoners of his incompetence, NHALS and NFL politics. The media, the fans, and the players are all angry, but the sacred cow cannot be mentioned... so they misdirect their frustrations and take out someone else. I know most people have given up and accepted that Tomlin is going nowhere, but I can’t stand what he’s turned this franchise into.

I’m glad that Kenny is gone. The media and fans are going to have to find someone else to blame. I wonder who it will be...
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:28 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:55 pm
.Kodiak wrote:

this is where I'm at
The reason the pick was completely wasted is he'd have to be all pro caliber for them to pay him that $25 mil option. Does anyone in the organization think he'll go from garbage to $25 mil worthy? Wasted pick that will be a 4th if Wilson gets hurt which is the only way he gets pulled before 51% of the snaps are gone.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:34 am

Not sure what happened to the Wilson thread but:
Nick Wright raises eyebrows at Russell Wilson’s credibility as QB1 following Steelers move: “He is not good anymore”
https://firstsportz.com/nfl-news-nick-w ... -steelers/
The Wilson signing does not make the Steelers favorites to win their division or make a deep playoff push. At the most, it could lead to the team winning one or two games more, but nothing more than that.
Russell Wilson has had Pete Carroll give up on him, got Nathaniel Hackett fired, and had Sean Payton give up on him.

https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1767332346481545461
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:28 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:55 pm
.Kodiak wrote:

this is where I'm at
The reason the pick was completely wasted is he'd have to be all pro caliber for them to pay him that $25 mil option. Does anyone in the organization think he'll go from garbage to $25 mil worthy? Wasted pick that will be a 4th if Wilson gets hurt which is the only way he gets pulled before 51% of the snaps are gone.
But but but Khan's a genius!

I would probably have been more intrigued with Penix if he was there for the taking this year than getting someone else's trash although I do have concerns about the championship game plus his age.

That, or even better target a QB in the 2025 draft and go get him. I am concerned now that we might not do this because of possible improved QB play putting us into Cowboys fake relevance territory.

Some of this debate is driven on the other side by some who seem to despise Pickett more than they despise Tomlin.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm

Omar is trying and I give him credit for that. Wilson is better than Pickett and Mason IMO. So we should see some lift but the Oline still needs bolstering and I need to WR weapons added.

Will Tomlin always hold the team back? Probably. But, we hired a OC with credentials for the first time in a long time and that should hopefully help.

I'm still a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers so I hope Russ can have an awesome year and we stay healthy. If so, then a deep playoff run is possible even with Tomlin at the helm.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm

franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm
Omar is trying and I give him credit for that. Wilson is better than Pickett and Mason IMO. So we should see some lift but the Oline still needs bolstering and I need to WR weapons added.

Will Tomlin always hold the team back? Probably. But, we hired a OC with credentials for the first time in a long time and that should hopefully help.

I'm still a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers so I hope Russ can have an awesome year and we stay healthy. If so, then a deep playoff run is possible even with Tomlin at the helm.
He hired an OC that runs an overly conservative offense which is exactly what Tomlin wants and what doesn't allow you to become a contender in today's NFL. Plus he's doing that, as usual, without an elite offensive line. So did he really make any changes?

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm
franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm

He hired an OC that runs an overly conservative offense which is exactly what Tomlin wants and what doesn't allow you to become a contender in today's NFL. Plus he's doing that, as usual, without an elite offensive line. So did he really make any changes?
Until there is a change to modern football philosophy, an emphasis on scoring points, unlike the current antiquated philosophy of Jibbs and Art II that's being implemented, the Steelers will not become legit championship contenders.

All the offseason personnel maneuvering is nothing more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

Alert! World class bedwetter thread . . .

Yeah QB purgatory sucks, and it usually takes a couple of tries to navigate. Attempt 1 - the Pickett Proposition, was a failure. Now we're on to attempt 2.

As it relates to 24 and beyond, a week ago the steelers had Kenny Lil Hands and Mason Stone Feet - almost zero chance one of those guys was going to get it done. Wilson and Fields were almost free options. One is a likely HOF, former SB champ. The other is in the conversation with Lamar and Josh Allen as most physically gifted QBs in the league. Either one is clearly a better option than last year's guys.

Will it work out? No one knows. But with the Steelers hiring their first NFL level DC in a long time i'm optimistic. And if it doesn't work . . . we've committed 0 dollars to 2025. Take a R1 QB next year and give it another shot.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 pm

lifelongsteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

Yeah QB purgatory sucks, and it usually takes a couple of tries to navigate. Attempt 1 - the Pickett Proposition, was a failure. Now we're on to attempt 2.

As it relates to 24 and beyond, a week ago the steelers had Kenny Lil Hands and Mason Stone Feet - almost zero chance one of those guys was going to get it done. Wilson and Fields were almost free options. One is a likely HOF, former SB champ. The other is in the conversation with Lamar and Josh Allen as most physically gifted QBs in the league. Either one is clearly a better option than last year's guys.

Will it work out? No one knows. But with the Steelers hiring their first NFL level DC in a long time i'm optimistic. And if it doesn't work . . . we've committed 0 dollars to 2025. Take a R1 QB next year and give it another shot.
Lifelong just ended this thread.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am

Charles Demarr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 pm
lifelongsteel wrote:

Eh,

Not really.

Define having it "work"

Half the fanbase is so petrified of losing they will cling to anything that improves or might improve the position. I'm not saying that is the case with Lifelong.

Having Fields here COULD affect our decision on whether to draft a QB this year or the next. So, bringing Fields here is not nothing. It could have draft consequences.

BTW, losing is good for a franchise.

Losing preceded every Lombardi or every run leading to Lombardis looking all the way back to 2000.

Losing preceded every Steelers Lombardi.

And it's more than getting better draft picks. Losing shakes things up. Gets people hungry again. Gets rid of stale and brings in fresh. (Well it can anyway)

If I'm wrong, I'll send our GM a package of hotdogs (a 10 count), a 12 pack of beer, and a thank you note.
Last edited by Havoc on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmacinwbp

Post by jmacinwbp » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:29 am

Havoc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am
Charles Demarr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 pm
lifelongsteel wrote:

Eh,

Not really.

Define having it "work"

Half the fanbase is so petrified of losing they will cling to anything that improves or might improve the position. I'm not saying that is the case with Lifelong.

Having Fields here COULD affect our decision on whether to draft a QB this year or the next. So, bringing Fields here is not nothing. It could have draft consequences.

BTW, losing is good for a franchise.

Losing preceded every Lombardi or every run leading to Lombardis looking all the way back to 2000.

Losing preceded every Steelers Lombardi.

Losing will precede our next Lombardi.

And it's more than getting better draft picks. Losing cleanses a franchise. Shakes things up. Gets people hungry again. Gets rid of stale and brings in fresh.

If I'm wrong, I'll send our GM a package of hotdogs (a 10 count), a 12 pack of beer, and a thank you note.

Define what you consider sufficient losing that forces shaking things up?

Cowher's Steelers had winning seasons in 10 of the 13 seasons prior to him winning his only SB. One of the losing seasons they were 1 game below .500, the other two they were 2 games below .500. I don't remember any of those losing seasons causing any major changes that got rid of the stale in the franchise, replacing it for fresh new ideas. We all know what changed, the team hit the Franchise QB lottery with the 11th pick in the 2003 draft (same pick JF went three years ago). I wouldn't consider that Lombardi run built from a franchise cleansing itself with losing enough to force radical change.

Reid in KC had six straight years of winning seasons, before getting his first Lombardi. The 2016 season they finished 12-4 , losing in a playoff game we all should know, since its been repeated ad nauseam it was the last time that team/coach won a playoff game. After a 12 win season, in the 2017 draft they hit the Franchise QB lottery with Mahomes. In their run up to that first Lombardi, KC didn't have any type of losing season that caused them to flush out stale ideas, and bring in new ones, did they? Not unless you want to allow for six years of winning in the same system before actually getting the Lombardi as mission accomplished.

But if that's the case, Tomlin's Steelers are chugging along with seven winning seasons since that last playoff win, 15 since last Lombardi. If we use that last playoff win as being the demarcation for when the clock started ticking for "Tomlin's Steelers" and not "Cowher's Steelers" (as most on this site like to do), he's only one season past KC's six years of winning, so where's the line drawn for how long a team is allowed to win, but fail to get the Lombardi, and still have it considered to be ok?

Regardless of how you define losing enough to cause change, the point is that at least in these two instances, it doesn't seem to be any radical change brought about by losing that got the franchise to a Lombardi, but instead it was changing an already winning franchise into a Lombardi winner within one or two years, because they found the right QB for their already winning team.

Whether you agree that the changes made in our Qb room in the last week has found the right guy or not; the brain trust does think that, and it's looking like they're going to do whatever they think is needed to allow that Qb to get the next Lombardi to pair with his six brothers in the display case(s).

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 am

Losing led to Ben. A franchise changer.

Breaking news...

Russell Wilson isn't going to deliver Lombardi #7

Yes, we still had Cowher in 2005 who was extremely hungry for a ring because he didn't have one yet.

We went thru a lot of coaches under him.

We also had an owner who fired a Lombardi shot. Sent the message it's time to get one. This was a change.

We didn't run the post season offense in the first half of games in 2005 the same way we did during the regular season. We surprised teams by throwing more in the first half of games leading up to the SB. Helped us build leads in the games leading up to the SB. Cowher grew a pair which was a change. Ben was 22 and shit his pants in the SB (too nervous). I'll give him a mulligan for that one. He did make a play or 2 in that game few can make. He was a young badass in the 3 games prior and we weren't getting there without him.

Chiefs...

Does this really need to be explained? It brought them Andy Reid man!!!! Offensive guru and also extremely hungry because he didn't have a ring. Maybe you think they would have been better off with Marty Schoettenheimer though.

Yes, with Reid, they drafted Mahomes and Andy knew what to do with him. We drafted Pickett LMAO who had Tomlin

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 pm

If the argument is that the Steelers need to suck so that they can fire Tomlin and replace him with a better coach, and if that happens you don't want the new 5 star coach burdened with a QB that you don't like . . . well ok.

There are too many theoretical leaps for me to join you on that ride. All my simple mind can see is two better QB options than what they had a week ago for 0 commitments beyond 2024 and about $4.5M in 2024 cap hits.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Jmac,

I'm not claiming radical wholesale change. I'm simply saying losing led to something that was a needed piece to the Lombardi puzzle.

A franchise can get stuck in sports. Happens quite often.

Texas Rangers are a good recent example. They are the local team here. After finally getting a roster capable of getting to the world series which they did in 2010 & 2011 while historically blowing it in game 6 in 2011...

Every year after thru 2016 or so they kept retooling and gutting the farm system to keep competing which they did but never had a roster again nearly as good as those 2 world series teams, teams that were good but not good enough.

So, after the farm system cupboard was bare and after stumbling around some they finally faced reality and embraced a rebuild.

Also of note, the owner a few years ago decided he really really really wanted to get the franchise their first championship and accelerated the rebuild and spent like he meant it. They won it last year.

More human behavior...

Now that the owner got his ring the spending this off-season was cheap while losing a few pieces including 1 extremely high impact starting pitcher in that post season run.

Also, you can't have your HC believing there is almost nothing he can do to lose his job especially if he already has some hardware. Not a good way to get the most out of people.

I'm not advocating a full rebuild for the Steelers. I'm just sayin'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic