Maybe they are a circus - Fields could supplant Wilson

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stillthere

Re: Maybe they are a circus - Fields could supplant Wilson

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 am

Ice wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am
I mean, there was the season with (horribly wasted possible buddy cop sitcom title) Bibberty and The Duck, but that wasn't by choice.
Arguably Tomlin's best season as a coach pulling the team together when it should have been a top 7 pick following that season. Miami thought the same thing otherwise we don't have Minkah.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 pm

stillthere wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 am
Ice wrote:
I mean, there was the season with (horribly wasted possible buddy cop sitcom title) Bibberty and The Duck, but that wasn't by choice.
Arguably Tomlin's best season as a coach pulling the team together when it should have been a top 7 pick following that season. Miami thought the same thing otherwise we don't have Minkah.
Colbert saved NHALS

That team would have had a losing record apart for the trade for Minkah

Adding Minka injected new life and confidence into the defense. True pros like TJ, Heyward, Minkah drove that defense to enough wins. Tomlin did his usual puckering with the offense.

Plus it's all meaningless. Does not matter what a coach can do with an overall mediocre roster vs bad and mediocre regular season teams (in a vacuum).
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 pm

stillthere wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:09 am
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm
DP39 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:59 pm
As I've said earlier, and no one well ever convince me otherwise, that the only way Russ sings with us is if Tomlin tells him (face-to-face) he IS the starter -- period! Tomlin (and the rest of them) can lie his ass off all he wants, but dollars to donuts, he told Kenny they would be "competing" and Russ (privately) he IS the starter. Guarantee it!
I'm surprised this is still even being talked about.

I saw several places after the Fields signing that Russell Wilson will be the starter, but that as the season progresses, Wilson is aware that the Fields is going to get playing time and Fields is expected to gets starts at some point too.

I would imagine that how the season plays out will have a lot to do with who gets the majority of the starts, but the plan right now is that Wilson is the guy with Fields also expected to get time as a starter during the year.
Barring injury or a 2-5 type of start to the season. I can pretty much guarantee you Fields will play less than 51% of the snaps or whatever the threshold is to move the pick from a 6th to a 4th.
I agree that Fields LIKELY won't play as much as Wilson, but obviously things can change quickly and there is absolutely no question the Steelers plan on finding out what they have with Fields.

Also, Fields is no rookie and many believe (including weirdly, most Bears fans who I would say the majority of which actually wanted to keep Fields over drafting Caleb Williams) that Fields had absolutely no support around him when it comes to weapons, o-line and coaching and that in the right system, Fields could become the next Lamar Jackson.

The Steelers WILL want to find out if this is the case. Russell Wilson will have to play like he did during Seattle's Super Bowl runs to keep Fields from getting starts. That's all I'm saying.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:49 pm

The Steelers aren't what I'd call light years ahead of the Bears in terms of weapons, O-line or coaching.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 pm
stillthere wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm

I'm surprised this is still even being talked about.

I saw several places after the Fields signing that Russell Wilson will be the starter, but that as the season progresses, Wilson is aware that the Fields is going to get playing time and Fields is expected to gets starts at some point too.

I would imagine that how the season plays out will have a lot to do with who gets the majority of the starts, but the plan right now is that Wilson is the guy with Fields also expected to get time as a starter during the year.
Barring injury or a 2-5 type of start to the season. I can pretty much guarantee you Fields will play less than 51% of the snaps or whatever the threshold is to move the pick from a 6th to a 4th.
I agree that Fields LIKELY won't play as much as Wilson, but obviously things can change quickly and there is absolutely no question the Steelers plan on finding out what they have with Fields.

Also, Fields is no rookie and many believe (including weirdly, most Bears fans who I would say the majority of which actually wanted to keep Fields over drafting Caleb Williams) that Fields had absolutely no support around him when it comes to weapons, o-line and coaching and that in the right system, Fields could become the next Lamar Jackson.

The Steelers WILL want to find out if this is the case. Russell Wilson will have to play like he did during Seattle's Super Bowl runs to keep Fields from getting starts. That's all I'm saying.
You're spinning your wheels if he turns into Lamar Jackson. He'll have to be better.

I read an article that said one of the reasons the bears gave up on him was they concluded he did not have the clutch gene. Many opportunities in tight situations in fourth quarters and came up small. I do not know if that is a fair assessment or not I'm just saying that's what I read.

A thought...

We absolutely must have a playmaking QB for the post season because of Tomlin philosophy. Need a playmaker to go off script enough in 4th quarters in tight games and make enough splash plays to have a chance to overcome Tomlin ass puckering.

Fields at least can playmake and with a cannon to throw deep downfield.

Flacco sucked much of his career but for one postseason that ridiculous cannon came through.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:49 pm
The Steelers aren't what I'd call light years ahead of the Bears in terms of weapons, O-line or coaching.
Not right now, but by the time next season rolls around, they might be.

Arthur Smith is a real NFL offensive coordinator. We're obviously going to add a big time WR (either through the draft or via trade.) RT and C will be added prior to next season. I don't even think any of this is debatable.

Wilson is probably Fields' biggest idol and Russ will be a willing mentor. We're all sick to death of Tomlin, but dudes love playing for him. He has one helluva lot more respect than anybody Fields has played for in the past.

The Steelers offense, no question about it, will be far better than anything Fields has had to work with in the past and most likely, it's gonna be by a whole lot before the Khan artist is done making moves.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 pm
K_C_ wrote:
stillthere wrote:

You're spinning your wheels if he turns into Lamar Jackson. He'll have to be better.

I read an article that said one of the reasons the bears gave up on him was they concluded he did not have the clutch gene. Many opportunities in tight situations in fourth quarters and came up small. I do not know if that is a fair assessment or not I'm just saying that's what I read.

A thought...

We absolutely must have a playmaking QB for the post season because of Tomlin philosophy. Need a playmaker to go off script enough in 4th quarters in tight games and make enough splash plays to have a chance to overcome Tomlin ass puckering.

Fields at least can playmake and with a cannon to throw deep downfield.

Flacco sucked much of his career but for one postseason that ridiculous cannon came through.
I don't disagree with any of this really. My family is in NW Indiana. I worked in downtown Chicago before moving to South Florida. During Fields' career in Chicago, the fans (my family included) they constantly bitched about the guy.

I was surprised as fuck to find out when I was up there recently (before the trade obviously) that the majority of Bears fans believe that keeping Fields and allowing him to develop with a quality supporting cast (one he never had) is the way to go.

Do I personally believe Fields can turn into Lamar Jackson? Fuck no I don't but I don't think the Steelers added him via trade just to be a back up. They see that Fields has everything you want in a QB except, very possibly, the ability to process quickly and read defenses. All the physical tools are there and I would imagine Tomlin and company believe that with a better supporting cast (coaches and players) maybe they can help Fields nail the mental part of the game.

No question he gets starts this year. It's just a question of when.

Harvey Woodlawn

sinceiwas4

Post by sinceiwas4 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:06 pm

i live in northwestern illinois most of my neighbors are bears fans, the biggest complaint they had last yr about fields was holding the ball too long resulting in turnovers or taking sacks..theyre split on if thats his lack of vision/processing or if it was lack of open targets. he had weak oline play early but the line did give better protection later in season and he still held on to it longer than decent blocking windows sometimes. but they were all wanting to trade the 1st for more picks a top wr and oline and continue with fields. now the same ppl the yr before wanted him gone but that yr coaching tried to force him to stay in pocket and not run as much. so once they let him play his game and got him Moore to throw to i dont know a single bears fan around here that wanted to move on from him ...fwiw

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:09 am

SteelerFury: Steelers should be turning over every stone to find the next legit QB. Fire Tomlin!

SteelerFury: The Steelers are now Browns-level clowns for going through so many QBs. Fire Tomlin!

This kind of nuanced insight is why I keep coming back.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:36 am

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:09 am
SteelerFury: Steelers should be turning over every stone to find the next legit QB. Fire Tomlin!

SteelerFury: The Steelers are now Browns-level clowns for going through so many QBs. Fire Tomlin!

Turning over every stone, more like every outhouse for Fields and Wilson. Hopefully I am wrong but I will still root for them to succeed due to the fact I am a Steelers fan.

Browns level is winning the Super Bowl every year after free agency, the draft, or the Pre-season. Seems like the Steelers are starting a trend like this last year and so far this year.

There is a good chance next year will be 8 years since they have won a playoff game, that is the reason I want Tomlin gone. It has been the same garbage for 10 years, how can you not be sick of it.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:40 pm

:D

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:36 am

Turning over every stone, more like every outhouse for Fields and Wilson. Hopefully I am wrong but I will still root for them to succeed due to the fact I am a Steelers fan.

Browns level is winning the Super Bowl every year after free agency, the draft, or the Pre-season. Seems like the Steelers are starting a trend like this last year and so far this year.

There is a good chance next year will be 8 years since they have won a playoff game, that is the reason I want Tomlin gone. It has been the same garbage for 10 years, how can you not be sick of it.
NFL teams would do better trying unexplored and untried options vs. retreads. They do the same thing with HCs.

Pedigree names/highly recruited high school prospects that go to big football schools will get every chance to fail and then some. It is a ludicrous strategy unless you're afraid of failing to get better.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:08 pm

Andy Reid and Belichick are/were retreads, as with Stafford, Bucs Brady, Foles Philly, Peyton Broncos, Brees Saints, etc etc etc etc

Pretty common that when the main problem with an organization is the front office, they choose to scapegoat a quality QB/HC go rather than firing themselves. Smart organizations should take advantage.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:17 pm

Yes but I hardly need to go through the list of retread coaches nor failed QBs who have never done shit ever.

Stafford had success in Detroit, just not as much as he did with better coaching. Brady is in no way a retread. Peyton was also successful at his first stop. So was Brees.

Just seems like some mediocre results in coaching get interviews, etc. And failed 1st round QBs always get multiple future shots. How about bringing in a QB who's been successful in the XFL/USFL/CFL? nothing to lose really and perhaps you learn something you didn't know.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm

I resemble that remark!

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:14 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

Fields a high ceiling dude that was in a bad organization.

Our QB room is costing 5 million TOTAL right now and you know Kenny sucked out loud.

Why go out of your way to look for reasons to be upset?

The fire Tomlin bit was tongue and cheek since it's all certain posters ever post about.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm

I resemble that remark!
LOLOLOLZ

I was thinking about your jersey. :D

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm

Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:14 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

Fields a high ceiling dude that was in a bad organization.
The Steelers have won 3 playoff games since 2010, the Bears 1. This isn't a great or good organization, maybe average at best. You honestly have confidence in Tomlin turning this kid around. Again, I'll be rooting for it to happen.

Steelcody7

Post by Steelcody7 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:01 pm

I don't know how this season will play out, but I'm more confident with the QB position than I was when Ben retired. We went from two bums and a backup to an aging pro bowler and a talented guy with upside.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:11 pm

Steelcody7 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:01 pm
I don't know how this season will play out, but I'm more confident with the QB position than I was when Ben retired. We went from two bums and a backup to an aging pro bowler and a talented guy with upside.
And Tomlin knows how to win with an aging All Pro QB!!!!!

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 pm

They see that Fields has everything you want in a QB except, very possibly, the ability to process quickly and read defenses.
The ability to process quickly and read defenses is the most important thing a QB must be able to do. There is a reason Chicago gave up on him and why his trade value was garbage.

You may want to check out what Greg Cosell said about Fields.

https://twitter.com/RossTuckerPod/statu ... ediaviewer

K_C_ wrote:

I would imagine Tomlin and company believe that with a better supporting cast (coaches and players) maybe they can help Fields nail the mental part of the game.
Are they trading him to San Francisco or KC?
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:16 pm

Havoc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 pm
stillthere wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 am
Ice wrote:
Colbert saved NHALS

That team would have had a losing record apart for the trade for Minkah

Adding Minka injected new life and confidence into the defense. True pros like TJ, Heyward, Minkah drove that defense to enough wins. Tomlin did his usual puckering with the offense.

Plus it's all meaningless. Does not matter what a coach can do with an overall mediocre roster vs bad and mediocre regular season teams (in a vacuum).
And who built that team? Why was Hodges anywhere near an NFL roster?

Colbert absolutely saved NHALS. Perhaps if the Steelers didn’t make that trade and collapsed, they would have kept that draft pick.

If they lost enough games, they could have had a shot at Justin Herbert. Or if they just kept the draft pick, Jordan Love.

But hey. NHALS.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:08 am

CoolShades wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 pm
K_C_ wrote:

They see that Fields has everything you want in a QB except, very possibly, the ability to process quickly and read defenses.
The ability to process quickly and read defenses is the most important thing a QB must be able to do. There is a reason Chicago gave up on him and why his trade value was garbage.
Not only is it the most important thing, innate processing speed is unlikely to improve. Slow processors don't become quick processors.

On the other hand, I think the ability to run is the most overrated QB skill. Mobility is a nice tool for a pocket passer to have. The ability to escape pressure and take off running on occasion, like Mahomes or young Ben , makes a passer even more dangerous. QBs who rely on running as the core of their game don't win championships. Mike Vick didn't win anything, Randall Cunningham didn't win anything, and I doubt that Lamar or Justin will win anything.

I'm fine with Fields as a back-up, but I doubt he's prove worthy to be anything more than that. Hopefully the Steelers don't sink to much money into him.

As for the "Chicago is a wasteland for QBs, Pittsburgh will be so much more stable and allow Fields the opportunity to thrive" arguments... people said the same when we signed Mitch Trubisky. Mitch was better in Chicago than he was in Pittsburgh. I won't be shocked if the same holds true for Fields.

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:48 am

Steelers could be banking on Arthur Smith given what he was able to get out of Tannehill.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:53 pm

One of the QBs the Steelers have could be traded when a playoff team has a QB injury. It would not surprise me at all. I still think they are drafting a QB high in 2025
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:08 pm

jebrick wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:53 pm
One of the QBs the Steelers have could be traded when a playoff team has a QB injury. It would not surprise me at all. I still think they are drafting a QB high in 2025
It's hard to draft a QB high when you're always picking between 18 and 25.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:08 pm

CoolShades wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 pm
K_C_ wrote:

You may want to check out what Greg Cosell said about Fields.

https://twitter.com/RossTuckerPod/statu ... ediaviewer

K_C_ wrote:

I would imagine Tomlin and company believe that with a better supporting cast (coaches and players) maybe they can help Fields nail the mental part of the game.
Are they trading him to San Francisco or KC?
I don’t like Fields. I did a whole breakdown where I said I would watch games with my Chicago family and they hated Fields. He’s a fucking turnover machine.

Now the vast majority of Bears fans wanted to keep Fields before the trade to Pittsburgh happened and I don’t understand their thinking.

I’m just stating the obvious. The Steelers believe after this draft (when they add a starting center, RT and WR) along with the addition of Arthur Smith, that they can fix Fields.

I mean, why do you think the Steelers traded for Fields, because they like athletic guys who fumble a lot and throw a bunch of picks?

Harvey Woodlawn

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 am

K_C_ wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Why do you think the Steelers traded for Fields, because they like athletic guys who fumble a lot and throw a bunch of picks?
I have some ideas. But it doesn’t matter, and it’s a waste of time to expend any more time on this.

When it comes to QBs, the Steelers management/coaches are nothing more than monkeys throwing shit at the wall, and praying a turd will stick.

#FlyEaglesFly

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic