Maybe they are a circus - Fields could supplant Wilson

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
CKSteeler

Maybe they are a circus - Fields could supplant Wilson

Post by CKSteeler » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 am

Today, both La Canfora and Schefter reported that Justin fields will be the starter this year. Or at least could be.

La Canfora says it would take a disastrous preseason for him not to be. That a lot of people in the Steelers building were very high on Fields.

Schefter says they could give up on Wilson in the preseason if he's outplayed.

Someone is leaking this shit. If it was just La Canfora spouting off, that's one thing. But add in schefter and you have a trend. You'll get the denials from the team because they promised Wilson the job to get him to sign, but someone wants it known that Fields is really the guy.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:52 am

CKSteeler wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 am
Today, both La Canfora and Schefter reported that Justin fields will be the starter this year. Or at least could be.

La Canfora says it would take a disastrous preseason for him not to be. That a lot of people in the Steelers building were very high on Fields.

Someone is leaking this shit. If it was just La Canfora spouting off, that's one thing. But add in schefter and you have a trend. You'll get the denials from the team because they promised Wilson the job to get him to sign, but someone wants it known that Fields is really the guy.
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

langer

Post by langer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:00 am

Add in Kenny Football's saying he was lied to and all that and him getting sent to Philly out of the blue.

Add in the D going full-on mutiny on Kenny Football and play a big role in bringing in Wilson.

There seems to be a bit of a power struggle going on, or just poorly aligned communication.

What happened to Coach Mike once Colbert left, how did he fit in. Is he sabotaging other owners?

A quite dramatic turn of events.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:38 am

I can see it. I don't see the point in bringing Fields in at all if there wasn't a shot at winning the QB1. Personally, I'd like to see what Fields can offer because we have a choice to make with him at the end of the season. Whether to keep around or not.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:44 am

StillerInCT wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:38 am
I can see it. I don't see the point in bringing Fields in at all if there wasn't a shot at winning the QB1. Personally, I'd like to see what Fields can offer because we have a choice to make with him at the end of the season. Whether to keep around or not.
The decision on Fields' option is due this May. I think they'd be crazy to take it. Fields has already proven he doesn't have what it takes to be more than a bottom-tier NFL starter. I'm not sure why people think it will be different with the Steelers. Everyone said "Mitch was stuck with the Bears, who ruin QBs, he'll be in a spot to do so much better with the Steelers." Mitch did worse with the Steelers than he did with the Bears. I bet the same will hold true with Fields. He's a running QB with a rocket arm who is inaccurate, careless with the football, and slow at processing the game / defense. Those deficiencies are hard to improve, and run-first QBs don't win anything in the NFL. Fields should stay on the bench.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:40 pm

Or, it could be March 20th, a little over a month from the draft, with free agency's exciting period over with, and folks could be throwing pasta at the wall for clicks again. Lots of ways to retain Fields without having to pick up his option, and all parties involved know this, by the way.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:43 pm

This thread and others like it πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Fields is a one year backup to Wilson

Maybe a bridge QB after Wilson

Maybe future trade bait

Maybe a tank tool

Unless Wilson is injured or exceptionally bad on a historic level. Like Kenny Touchdown bad. Fields won’t be QBing anytime soon except maybe some gadget plays
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:43 pm

Ice wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:40 pm
Or, it could be March 20th, a little over a month from the draft, with free agency's exciting period over with, and folks could be throwing pasta at the wall for clicks again. Lots of ways to retain Fields without having to pick up his option, and all parties involved know this, by the way.
🦍🦍🦍🏈
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm

Wilson will begin the season as the starter.

They obviously will have packages for Fields to run.

Depending on how the season goes, I'm sure Russ and Tomlin both understand that the Steelers need to see exactly what they have with Fields and if he's going to be worth investing in after 2024 so I don't think there is any question that the Fields will be starting some games next season.

In true Tomlin fashion, they'll ease Fields in and I wouldn't be overly shocked to see him supplant Wilson as the starter at some point, again depending on how the season goes.
β€œThe young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:43 pm

K_C_ wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm

Depending on how the season goes, I'm sure Russ and Tomlin both understand that the Steelers need to see exactly what they have with Fields and if he's going to be worth investing in after 2024 so I don't think there is any question that the Fields will be starting some games next season.

In true Tomlin fashion, they'll ease Fields in and I wouldn't be overly shocked to see him supplant Wilson as the starter at some point, again depending on how the season goes.
the decision about whether or not to invest in fields has to happen this spring, not much point in sacrificing wins this fall to find out whether or not we made a mistake before that.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:47 pm

Mick wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:43 pm

the decision about whether or not to invest in fields has to happen this spring, not much point in sacrificing wins this fall to find out whether or not we made a mistake before that.
I know about the 22 million or whatever he's owed as a 5th year option, but that isn't huge money for a starting QB. Look at what Denver is paying Wilson to go away.

They'll pay Fields his 22 million but I believe the Steelers are going to want to see what they have at some point this season and if shit goes south this year with Fields at the helm, the money they pay Fields for his 5th year option will not preclude them from drafting a QB in April 2025.

No way. Fields knows this is an audition.
β€œThe young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:50 pm

Ice wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:40 pm
Exactly. Click bait.
β€œIf you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm

Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:47 pm

I know about the 22 million or whatever he's owed as a 5th year option, but that isn't huge money for a starting QB. Look at what Denver is paying Wilson to go away.

They'll pay Fields his 22 million but I believe the Steelers are going to want to see what they have at some point this season and if shit goes south this year with Fields at the helm, the money they pay Fields for his 5th year option will not preclude them from drafting a QB in April 2025.

I think it's already been reported they said they will not pick up Fields' 5th year option. If they re-sign him, it will be to a new deal or an extension before the season.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3Γ— 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:08 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm

I think it's already been reported they said they will not pick up Fields' 5th year option. If they re-sign him, it will be to a new deal or an extension before the season.
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Like I said, even if they had picked up his 5th year option, that's peanuts for a starting QB and the Steelers and the Khan artist will sign Fields to a team friendly deal where they can kick his ass to the curb easily and without much of a cap hit if he sucks.

Great move if they pull it off.

Harvey Woodlawn

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:31 pm

It's too bad they couldn't sign Morse. I would like to see either QB behind a thoroughly competent OL.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:57 pm

I hope we don't hand him a contract before the season. I'm probably more optimistic than most about him, but I'm not ready to give him his C2 until he proves he's worthy.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm

This is pretty straight forward. Wilson is the presumed #1, will start camp with the #1 reps, but will need to win the QB competition to get the job.

I "think" this is exactly how it was communicated when Wilson was signed and then reiterated after the Fields trade.

The difference with Fields is that many think that Fields will win the job, where as I don't think anyone really gave Kenny a chance.

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 pm

lifelongsteel wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm
This is pretty straight forward. Wilson is the presumed #1, will start camp with the #1 reps, but will need to win the QB competition to get the job.

I "think" this is exactly how it was communicated when Wilson was signed and then reiterated after the Fields trade.

The difference with Fields is that many think that Fields will win the job, where as I don't think anyone really gave Kenny a chance.
This is not what has been reported. It's been reported pretty clearly that Wilson has been told he will start, and Fields will be his back-up. Those are the words used to communicate the situation to the two players.

People like to dismiss these reports right up until they ring true. The Steelers may have promised Wilson something, but promises count for jack in the NFL and they may have another disgruntled, misled veteran on their hands once season starts.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 pm

Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 pm
lifelongsteel wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm

This is not what has been reported. It's been reported pretty clearly that Wilson has been told he will start, and Fields will be his back-up. Those are the words used to communicate the situation to the two players.

People like to dismiss these reports right up until they ring true. The Steelers may have promised Wilson something, but promises count for jack in the NFL and they may have another disgruntled, misled veteran on their hands once season starts.
What was reported was "Russell Wilson is the starter but Kenny (Fields) will compete for the job" . . . i guess you could read that a few different ways. Kenny is getting shit in the media because he "didn't stay to compete" etc.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:59 pm

As I've said earlier, and no one well ever convince me otherwise, that the only way Russ sings with us is if Tomlin tells him (face-to-face) he IS the starter -- period! Tomlin (and the rest of them) can lie his ass off all he wants, but dollars to donuts, he told Kenny they would be "competing" and Russ (privately) he IS the starter. Guarantee it!

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm

Kenny had the better part of two years to make his mark, and about the only thing he established was that he's better than Mitch Trubisky, while simultaneously establishing that he's probably not as good as Mason Rudolph.

I'm not sure what part of that resume is deserving of an open competition with an established NFL pro who's been to nine PBs, two SBs and has a ring. Sounds like what he got was the same type of "competition" Bibbs got last year in training camp.

Seems like something between fair and poetic justice to me.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm

DP39 wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:59 pm
As I've said earlier, and no one well ever convince me otherwise, that the only way Russ sings with us is if Tomlin tells him (face-to-face) he IS the starter -- period! Tomlin (and the rest of them) can lie his ass off all he wants, but dollars to donuts, he told Kenny they would be "competing" and Russ (privately) he IS the starter. Guarantee it!
I'm surprised this is still even being talked about.

I saw several places after the Fields signing that Russell Wilson will be the starter, but that as the season progresses, Wilson is aware that the Fields is going to get playing time and Fields is expected to gets starts at some point too.

I would imagine that how the season plays out will have a lot to do with who gets the majority of the starts, but the plan right now is that Wilson is the guy with Fields also expected to get time as a starter during the year.

Harvey Woodlawn

R_S

Post by R_S » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 am

Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm

I saw several places after the Fields signing that Russell Wilson will be the starter, but that as the season progresses, Wilson is aware that the Fields is going to get playing time and Fields is expected to gets starts at some point too.

I would imagine that how the season plays out will have a lot to do with who gets the majority of the starts, but the plan right now is that Wilson is the guy with Fields also expected to get time as a starter during the year.
Get starts? Tomlin didn't like to give the RB2 more than 1.5 carries again until Warren forced him to. You think he's just going to flip starters in mid season to "see what they have with Fields"? Nutso!

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am

I mean, there was the season with (horribly wasted possible buddy cop sitcom title) Bibberty and The Duck, but that wasn't by choice.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:22 am

R_S wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 am

Get starts? Tomlin didn't like to give the RB2 more than 1.5 carries again until Warren forced him to. You think he's just going to flip starters in mid season to "see what they have with Fields"? Nutso!
I'm sure it depends on how the season goes for the most part, but there is absolutely no question Fields will have packages from game one on and Wilson is on a one year deal. They most certainly will want to see what they have in Fields.

Also, I didn't say Tomlin would flip starters mid season, just that Fields is expected to get starts. They never said when and obviously, it's going to depend on how Wilson is playing.

If he's the Russell Wilson of 10 years ago, then Fields might not start one game. If we get the Russell Wilson of 2021, Fields might be starting by week 4. I'm sure they're going to play it by ear but there is no question Fields is expected to start at some point.

Harvey Woodlawn

Boukman

Post by Boukman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 am

Watching the NFL Network's 2021 Bears vs Steelers now (mid 4th Q Steelers 23-13). Rookie Fields definitely showed he has a gun and even hit some nice deep passes in the middle of the field. His best receivers were Allen Robinson, TEs Kmet and Graham.

I'd like to see what he could do with an uograded OLine and better receiving talent in new OC Smith's offense...hopefully the Steelers can really nail those improvements in the draft and what's left of free agency.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:31 am

Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 am

That would be fucking hilarious and awesome at the same time.
I have heard rumors that he is all but guaranteed to be given a new contract next off-season.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:41 am

Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:08 pm

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Like I said, even if they had picked up his 5th year option, that's peanuts for a starting QB and the Steelers and the Khan artist will sign Fields to a team friendly deal where they can kick his ass to the curb easily and without much of a cap hit if he sucks.

Great move if they pull it off.
Use the Jordan Love contract as a model to refinance Fields.
Current Contract

Jordan Love signed a 1 year, maximum $22.5M extension with the Packers, preceding a $20.272M 5th-year option decision. The deal includes $13.5M fully guaranteed at signing and runs through the 2024 season.
It has like 3 void years on it so the bonus gets prorated over 4 years for the cap and if you extend him I am not sure how that recalculates. I guess I need to go back to the bank job to get my brain powered back up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... 095%2C863.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 am

Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 pm

That can be cut at any time for a $0.00 effect on the salary cap other than any games he is on the roster for.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:09 am

Barring injury or a 2-5 type of start to the season. I can pretty much guarantee you Fields will play less than 51% of the snaps or whatever the threshold is to move the pick from a 6th to a 4th.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic