Getting closer any still Roster ?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelmann58

Getting closer any still Roster ?

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:01 pm

well i really like and what has Khan done so far but still very concerned about certain positions.
1ST with WR what is his plan at this point. I think he still looking at a FA but is targeting a WR in the Draft
2nd C i am thinking without a doubt it be in the draft with one of the top 2 CENTERS
3 Slot Corner. either Resign Sullivan or Draft one

there other spots need for Depth ILB DL CB

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:46 pm

In my opinion The off season F/A market is still very much active.

Been quiet for a while it seems, been reading to expect it gets more active after the draft/June 1st.

I read an article today that the 9ers are working with WR Ayiuk on a new deal but likely won’t see results till after the draft. 🤔

As far as the draft, been seeing a lot of fluff directed towards IOL and WR. Could see both drafted early as expected.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:39 am

They need to find their center need to draft one of the top 2

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:39 am
They need to find their center need to draft one of the top 2
Why do you say top 2? And who are the top 2? According to whom? maintain that the tiers of C look like this:

Rd1
Graham Barton

Rd2
Hunter Noruzad
Zach Frazier
JPJ

Dy 3
SVP
Beaux Limmer
Matt Lee
Nick Gargiulo
Kingsley Eguakun
Tanner Bortolini

SVP has some rough spots and JPJ might not be as ready as the others but I could see the Steelers starting any of the top 5 and having it work out pretty well.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:57 am

It’s my ranking and think JPJ is the guy imo

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:57 am
It’s my ranking and think JPJ is the guy imo
Yep.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

I agree on being skeptical of the Center class this draft and have genuine uneasy feelings on a number of these top prospects.

Let us take a look back to 2021 NFL Draft. Remember when that supposedly was a good center class too?

You had all kind of names, the Landon Dickersons, Creed Humphries. But then you had Green Bay pass over Humphries to take Josh Myers. We of course took Kendrick Green in the 3rd round.

But just as now in this draft, back then you didn't have just Green as a projection, a guard to center, but you had other players thrown around as center prospects like Quinn Meinerz and Robert Hainsey.

What I don't want to see happen is us just blindly taking the concensus top center if he doesn't fit like a glove.

You look back at the 2020 draft and Cesar Ruiz was taken in the first round, Matt Hennessy taken in round 3, but the next two centers, Lloyd Cushenberry, who just signed for $50 million this offseason and Tyler Biadasz who has made the Pro Bowl were taken in rounds 3 and 4.

This happens all the time, the top consensus player is just meh, and it is the 2nd, 3rd, 4th player who ends up being the best prospect.

So, in this draft JPJ, Jackson Powers-Johnson is the best prospect? I would be a lot more excited if he had more experience, 13 games as a starter? And is he really a good fit as a mobile center who can get out and just destroy players while on the move? I think he is way below average in that regard.

Zach Frazier? He has the experience with 37 games started at Center. Again, I don't see a mobile center who can break down and eliminate moving targets. Short arms, I think he is not the type of center who can help his guards out, instead, I see a center who will need much more help from his guards. You look at him and you see a stubby player with shorter arms and length and there isn't suddenness to his game. I worry that you really aren't upgrading much from Mason Cole with him.

Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger?? Experienced and I think he is a good center with a bad body. Short arms, 31 3/8" but he is noted for being twitchy, having quick hands. Maybe coaching and technique work can fix some of his deficiencies? From what I have read, they say when he has bad play it is a result of getting sloppy with his feet and techniques, not because of a lack of effort or talent.

Hunter Nourzad seems to be everything that Arthur Smith would want from his center. Can do it all but still needs to clean up things that only come with experience. I see he was dinged for not picking up stunts and twists as well as he could have but that comes with experience. You look at the length, his arms are 1 inch, 2 inches longer than the other centers. Freakishly large strong hands, 10 3/4".

Graham Barton. He last played center 3 years ago, his freshman year right?? Yet he looks to have everything to be a great center. I think he would be a great luxury to have because you draft him and he can play Center, Guard or Right Tackle. What I found fascinating is in researching him, I wondered why he wasn't starting at Center for Duke?

Then I discovered Jacob Monk. He was the Duke's starting Center. He has a lot of experience at C, RG and RT, but in a weird way, he is more like Hunter Nourzad in that he is still raw and needs refinement. Athletically he tested very well at the combine, probably surprising many people. I see him, like Hunter, being able to do the movement in the run game in an Arthur Smith offense.

I think 3-4 years from now you may see the 3rd or 4th center in his upcoming draft being looked back upon as the best of the draft class. I would rather take a RT prospect in round 1 and then follow that up with the Center in round 3. Hunter Nourzad, Sedrick Van Pran or Jacob Monk, one of those three should be there in round 3.

And if all else fails, meaning they miss out on a rookie starting center, they still have James Daniels who can move to Center.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm

I think the steelers have scouted and will come out with their Center

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:33 am

Read on another site the Steelers might add up to 2 more Fa before the Draft

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic