NFL Looking to Neuter Defense Even More

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
CKSteeler

NFL Looking to Neuter Defense Even More

Post by CKSteeler » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:03 pm

Per Rich McKay!
“Statistically, what gives us concern a little bit is scoring,” Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said during a Thursday conference call. “Scoring this year at 43.5 is still above an historical marker, which has kind of been that 43 mark. But we were at 49 points per game during COVID [in 2020], and we went to 45 [in 2021], we went to 43.76 [in 2022], and now we’re down to 43.54.”

McKay believes the proposed change to the kickoff will impact field position by 3-5 yards per drive, which will lead to more scoring. (He spoke of the revised kickoff as a done deal, and maybe it will be if the owners think it will result in more points.)

At what point does the failure to enforce the rules as written in order to enhance scoring undermine the integrity of the game? By admitting that the league wants more scoring, the league invites speculation that certain calls are made or not made in order to goose the scoreboard, not in order to get every call right.
Via news aggregator Florio.

I've been labeled as nutty for daring to suggest that the rule changes over the years had nothing to do with player safety besides appearances, and that the real motive has always been to goose scoring. Same holds true for the kickoff changes.

The numbers don't lie. Even five extra yards of starting field position can result in more points.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:50 pm

“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm

Lucky for us we have the most expensive defense in the NFL and an ossified defense head coach!

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 am

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm
Lucky for us we have the most expensive defense in the NFL and an ossified defense head coach!
Not problematic in the least. We do what we do.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:02 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 am
W&M_Steeler wrote:
From the post gazette.
"The Steelers are spending only $64.8 million on their offense while doling out $158 million to their defensive players."

In my Jerry Seinfeld voice. Oh yeah, this can't miss.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 am

Honestly, I knew it was skewed to the defense, and yeah, most of our offensive stars are on rookie contracts or being paid by other teams, but wow. That's a huge disparity.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:53 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 am
Honestly, I knew it was skewed to the defense, and yeah, most of our offensive stars are on rookie contracts or being paid by other teams, but wow. That's a huge disparity.
We have offensive stars? Who knew???
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:25 am

Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:53 am
Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 am
We have offensive stars? Who knew???
Everything is relative.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:46 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:03 pm
Per Rich McKay!
“Statistically, what gives us concern a little bit is scoring,” Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said during a Thursday conference call. “Scoring this year at 43.5 is still above an historical marker, which has kind of been that 43 mark. But we were at 49 points per game during COVID [in 2020], and we went to 45 [in 2021], we went to 43.76 [in 2022], and now we’re down to 43.54.”

McKay believes the proposed change to the kickoff will impact field position by 3-5 yards per drive, which will lead to more scoring. (He spoke of the revised kickoff as a done deal, and maybe it will be if the owners think it will result in more points.)

At what point does the failure to enforce the rules as written in order to enhance scoring undermine the integrity of the game? By admitting that the league wants more scoring, the league invites speculation that certain calls are made or not made in order to goose the scoreboard, not in order to get every call right.
Via news aggregator Florio.

I've been labeled as nutty for daring to suggest that the rule changes over the years had nothing to do with player safety besides appearances, and that the real motive has always been to goose scoring. Same holds true for the kickoff changes.

The numbers don't lie. Even five extra yards of starting field position can result in more points.
They really are ruining the game. Maybe people just don’t care and like all the rule changes.

But if you think back to the 70’s and 80’s, most of the teams had artificial turf. I was on the field at Three Rivers, and it was like playing on green concrete. And those guys survived. Now, most have real grass or some synthetic turf that is very player friendly. Rules are constantly adjusted to “minimize injuries” but they continue to happen. Injuries are just a part of the game, and I don’t know how they can be completely eliminated.

I don’t think they care about player safety at all. They care about image and eyeballs. NFL marketing believes people want scoring, which is most likely true, because so many people play fantasy football and that is largely driven by offensive stats.

I’ve joked in the past about when the NFL will officially put flags on players. JJ Watt just made a similar comment on twitter.

It’s coming. It’s only a matter of time.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:14 pm

NFL has always been unfair to the defense.

Why shouldn't offensive pass interference on a ball catchable by a safety or CB not result in a change of possession plus 15?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:07 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:14 pm

Why shouldn't offensive pass interference on a ball catchable by a safety or CB not result in a change of possession plus 15?
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:07 pm
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Gotta admit, it'd make things a little more interesting on that side of the ball. Could throw in something similar to intentional grounding for holding on a clear path to a sack, for good measure. If the offense gets subjective calls six ways till Sunday, might as well throw the defense a bone or two.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Gotta admit, it'd make things a little more interesting on that side of the ball. Could throw in something similar to intentional grounding for holding on a clear path to a sack, for good measure. If the offense gets subjective calls six ways till Sunday, might as well throw the defense a bone or two.
The less subjectivity the better
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm
Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
The less subjectivity the better
I mean, now that that's out the window, maybe subjectivity both ways at least levels the field. Nothing's going back in the box at this point.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:53 pm

This is how the NFL wants defenses to tackle
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4_FVrAR ... _copy_link
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:30 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 am
W&M_Steeler wrote:
No need to game plan in the first half.

Just line up, do what we do, and see how they play us.

Wait until the 2nd half to make adjustments.

This allows Tomlin to sit on the sideline blinking away like a fucking moron, while the opponent puts up a 30 burger at half, then coasts home while the Steelers put up garbage points. Playoff strategy at its best.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic