Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:00 pm
Stillchest wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 am
:cry:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 am

Except they don’t play press. Mitchell sucks at it. Dejean almost never. Arnold, the coaching staff moved away from press and man to off and zone for him and Kool Aid.

Listen all three have their superpowers at CB but if you want to play press man, better to dig deeper into the value bin.
Who then?

Ricardo Green?
Honestly, Darius Rush and Cory Trice are better fits than most of these outside CBs. The next CB they’re going to pick will either be a pure NCB or will be an outside/inside guy. Andre Phillips? Green. Sainristil. They have Luc Barcoo and a bunch of nothing at NCB.
Corey Trice will get injured walking to his mailbox before camp even happens.

“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Pitty Smitty

Post by Pitty Smitty » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm

Fautanu is going to be a RT. Jones moves to his natural LT. Fautanu blocked for a left hand Qb

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm
I think some of you are missing the point that they are going to run a 90's style run first offense. The ONLY way that works is with a dominant oline. Not a decent or good oline, a dominant one. So the ONLY thing that makes sense is to load up on elite linemen. They MUST draft the best center with their next pick especially since they have zero real centers on the roster. To me, Tomlin + a shitty oline hasn't made any sense at all in years. It's like the GM and HC weren't on the same page. Maybe Khan is finally trying to make the Tomlin philosophy work. I would love to have a dominant oline. I still don't think Tomlin has any chance at all of fielding a contender with his overly conservative offense and QB room full of other team's trash but if you're going to go that way, draft to at least try to make it work. With the picks so far and FA signing of a top guard last year, that seems to be what they are doing. Of course if they don't fill the center position, that will make this plan fall apart imo.
Center might be the deepest position group in the class. I have zero doubt that there will be an excellent center available at any of their next 4 picks.

Outside WR, on the other hand is completely picked through.

AD Mitchell
Javon Baker

and maybe Malachi Corley if you think he can play on the outside in the NFL
Keon Coleman if you think he's not too slow
Johnny Wilson if you think he's not too tall
David White, Jr. if you don't think the step up in LOC is too much
Bub Means if you think he'll be better at the little things as a pro
Tez Walker if the utter lack of awareness and catching ability doesn't dissuade you.

Otherwise, you're into developmental guys or guys who don't fit the scheme at all.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm

Pitty Smitty wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm
Fautanu is going to be a RT. Jones moves to his natural LT. Fautanu blocked for a left hand Qb
Doesn't matter... Fautanu is a better LT for an Arthur Jones offense. It's about how he's used in space in run game. RT will require less playing on the move in space for Broderick... something he's nowhere near as good at as Fautanu.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 pm

Very shrug pick for me.

Top CB, top IOL, elite WR talent on the board, we take the #6 OT somehow when only 13 non-QBs were drafted ahead of us.

Mims kind of stood out as the probably the most athletic player his size…ever. Fautanu mostly stands out in the sense that if he was 1 inch taller, he’d still be the shortest OT drafted in the 1st round in the past 5 years. Premium position and position of need, getting someone viewed as a round 1 talent you can’t hate it. But that’s as far as I get.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:20 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:00 pm

Honestly, Darius Rush and Cory Trice are better fits than most of these outside CBs. The next CB they’re going to pick will either be a pure NCB or will be an outside/inside guy. Andre Phillips? Green. Sainristil. They have Luc Barcoo and a bunch of nothing at NCB.
Green at Florida St. faced a lot of these top WRs and did a very good job, they trusted him in man.

I think this draft is loaded with slot CBs that can not only do coverage but also play the run with equal aplomb. And I think there are a bunch of safeties that can be used as slot CBs too, Javon Bullard, Dadrion 'Rabbit' Taylor-Demerson, etc.

This draft will be a failure to me if we don't come out of rounds 2-3 with a slot CB/S. Enough of the bullshit, of making do with the likes of Arthur Maulet and Chandon Sullivan.
I wouldn't mind slot at 4.119, either... deep class.

but, yeah, they've trotted out garbage since Mike Hilton, as if to prove they didn't need to pay him.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 pm

I liked the pick a lot -- he has potential to be a great player and leader

I also agree with - whoever said it above -- that he will be RT and Broderick LT //// I dont see them making him a C
But then LT vs RT depends a lot on camp play

I suspect as well WR anbd CB will be next two picks

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point that they are going to run a 90's style run first offense. The ONLY way that works is with a dominant oline. Not a decent or good oline, a dominant one. So the ONLY thing that makes sense is to load up on elite linemen. They MUST draft the best center with their next pick especially since they have zero real centers on the roster. To me, Tomlin + a shitty oline hasn't made any sense at all in years. It's like the GM and HC weren't on the same page. Maybe Khan is finally trying to make the Tomlin philosophy work. I would love to have a dominant oline. I still don't think Tomlin has any chance at all of fielding a contender with his overly conservative offense and QB room full of other team's trash but if you're going to go that way, draft to at least try to make it work. With the picks so far and FA signing of a top guard last year, that seems to be what they are doing. Of course if they don't fill the center position, that will make this plan fall apart imo.
Center might be the deepest position group in the class. I have zero doubt that there will be an excellent center available at any of their next 4 picks.

AD Mitchell
Javon Baker

Tez Walker if the utter lack of awareness and catching ability doesn't dissuade you.

Otherwise, you're into developmental guys or guys who don't fit the scheme at all.
The simple fix, and what I've been thinking will happen is....

Pick #52 for Aiyuk or (most likely) pick #98 for C. Sutton. Problem solved. 8-)

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm

Based on footwork and agility, I tend to think they keep Jones at right tackle and Fautanu at LT

Isn’t Russell Wilson a left-hander?

So the offense becomes a left-handed offense

Anyway, my only gripe about this aside from the redundancy is their desperate need for a flipping day one starting center

Because nothing else matters if your center is getting driven off the ball

All the cornerbacks, all of the tackles, all the wide receivers, all become completely irrelevant if the quarterback is getting instant inside pressure because the interior line is being dominated
Last edited by anpsteel on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm
Based on footwork and agility, I tend to think they keep Jones at right tackle and Fautanu at LT

Anyway, my only gripe about this aside from the redundancy is their desperate need for a flipping day one starting center

All the cornerbacks, all of the tackles, all the wide receivers, I’ll become completely irrelevant if the quarterback is getting instant inside pressure because the interior line is being dominated
Wilson and Fields are both right handed throwers.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:50 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm

All the cornerbacks, all of the tackles, all the wide receivers, I’ll become completely irrelevant if the quarterback is getting instant inside pressure because the interior line is being dominated
Wilson and Fields are both right handed throwers.
Thanks

Not sure why I thought Wilson was a lefty

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:00 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am
gojira5150 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am
Who's gonna have to mouth off before he sees the field. Bad pick. The top 3 CB's were there for the taking and they choose a Guard who I'm sure they will put at the wrong position like Kevin Dotson.

This dude is almost 24y/o. People were bashing Penix for being 24 and yet it's ok for this kid to be 24. He's not the right size for Tackle. Is he a Day 1 starter? He better be. What position is he gonna play. Hopefully not trying square peg round hole at Center.

Quinyon Mitchell was there. We could have had bookend lockdown CB's.
In a vacuum, I love all those CBs but:
All three are zone guys; they are a man to man team these days
Dejean can be used like Hamilton or Polamalu but I doubt they are creative enough to use him that way
They don’t have nearly the problem at outside CB that they do at OT—they have two established starters, plus two developmental guys they like. They desperately need a slot guy but Arnold-Mitchell-Dejean aren’t really that guy.
Thx for clearing that up. Makes sense in what you are saying
Obliteration Is Imminent

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Thanks for mentioning Bub @B2BDirectionalState He's got talent, and the QB situation at Pitt did NOT do him any favors. He's underrated and would be worth a day three flier.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm
Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 am

Why not? I think it gets handed up and you have to try a couple of times to get in. If all else fails, try making a new discord sign in
Oh, had nothing to do with discord. I didn't even get a chance to sit down and watch until the Bungles pick. By that point why bother
I guess this is age but is discord a message board or audio chat? I've never tried it but it seems a lot of stuff is going there so maybe I need to. I don't understand why there wasn't just a draft talk thread here. Can the board not handle the traffic?
Remember chat rooms in the early days of AOL? It's basically that.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

I worry about overage prospects. Is the tape good just because they are more mature?

With that said, tackle is a position worth spending a first on and if Tony is good tackle in the league totally worth it.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm

Someone in PPG claimed PIT was wanting or considering moving Jones to LT.

I like the pick, and think he'll be a core piece of the OL for a decade, whether LT, RT or C.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm
I worry about overage prospects. Is the tape good just because they are more mature?

With that said, tackle is a position worth spending a first on and if Tony is good tackle in the league totally worth it.
I hear ya but he played really well in 2022. He is not someone who suddenly got it, he has played well for Washington for a while. Had he come out last season? I have no doubt he would've been one of top OTs in the draft.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm

I like the pick, and think he'll be a core piece of the OL for a decade, whether LT, RT or C.
during his final press conference, khan said they were planning to move Jones to LT for this season.

Then last week Dulac broke the story that he had insider info that some people in the organization were considering moving Jones to left tackle for this season.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

FWIW - Fautanu was stuck behind an 3x all PAC-12 and 2022 All American (Jaxson Kirkland) his first 2 seasons. He took over the starting LT spot when Kirkland got hurt.....and played so well that UW kicked Kirkland to LG when he got healthy.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm
RemoAZ wrote:

AD Mitchell
Javon Baker

The simple fix, and what I've been thinking will happen is....

Pick #52 for Aiyuk or (most likely) pick #98 for C. Sutton. Problem solved. 8-)
If they do Sutton, it'll be a 4th and I'll hate it because I'd rather draft a guy who isn't 29 going on 30.

sinceiwas4

Post by sinceiwas4 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 pm
.Kodiak wrote:

during his final press conference, khan said they were planning to move Jones to LT for this season.

Then last week Dulac broke the story that he had insider info that some people in the organization were considering moving Jones to left tackle for this season.
ofc that was all said when they thought Fautanu was going to be long gone before they could pick him so...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm
If they do Sutton, it'll be a 4th and I'll hate it because I'd rather draft a guy who isn't 29 going on 30.
If it makes it any better - Sutton is currently 28 and doesn't turn 29 until mid-October.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If it makes it any better - Sutton is currently 28 and doesn't turn 29 until mid-October.
Yay.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 pm

sinceiwas4 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 pm
Mick wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 pm
.Kodiak wrote:

ofc that was all said when they thought Fautanu was going to be long gone before they could pick him so...
Exactly. Plans change.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm
Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Yay.
Sutton doesn’t move the needle, IMO.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 am
Steelafan77 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 am
As stated in the chat thread…

Would’ve liked Mitchell @20

Struggling a bit with this one. Not really prototypical NFL tackle size.

Old rookie almost 24 years old. Is he gonna play tackle or a center prospect?
The guy is a diehard football player who LOVES the game and loves hitting the crap out of people. He grew up a huge Steelers and Troy Polamalu fan. He is probably the best OLman they have on the roster for the offense they want to run.

He is going to be a HUGE fan favorite once people get a look at him in action.

He has the arm length and feet of an NFL OT—I think he has more potential to play LT than last year’s pick. But anywhere he plays it will be an upgrade.
Again, I Do Not hate the player. After a day I’ve wrapped my head around the pick.

All the information shared by a few posters has been convincing.

I do recall but couldn’t locate the thread in which I actually mentioned Fautanu possibly falling to us at 20 and if memory serves you stated in a dream scenario or something to that effect. So dreams do come true I guess….lol.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm

The doomerism from some people about this pick makes me like the pick more than I probably would otherwise.

We keep getting promised some bully ball. This dude seems like he def contributes to that vision. Welcome, aboard, Mr. Fautanu.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm
The doomerism from some people about this pick makes me like the pick more than I probably would otherwise.

We keep getting promised some bully ball. This dude seems like he def contributes to that vision. Welcome, aboard, Mr. Fautanu.
The only pick I can recall getting universal praise on this board was David DeCastro, and that was a perfect storm of elite prospect at a position of dire need falling into the Steelers' lap.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm

The only pick I can recall getting universal praise on this board was David DeCastro, and that was a perfect storm of elite prospect at a position of dire need falling into the Steelers' lap.
Some similarities. QB run. Pushed this dude down. They had this guy as one of the top prospects and did not think for second he would still be there. I'm all about getting the lines right. From a value standpoint, it's a great pick.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic