Pick 1. 20 Troy Fautanu OL Washington

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steelafan77

Pick 1. 20 Troy Fautanu OL Washington

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 am

As stated in the chat thread…

Would’ve liked Mitchell @20

Struggling a bit with this one. Not really prototypical NFL tackle size.

Old rookie almost 24 years old. Is he gonna play tackle or a center prospect?

“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am

Who's gonna have to mouth off before he sees the field. Bad pick. The top 3 CB's were there for the taking and they choose a Guard who I'm sure they will put at the wrong position like Kevin Dotson.

This dude is almost 24y/o. People were bashing Penix for being 24 and yet it's ok for this kid to be 24. He's not the right size for Tackle. Is he a Day 1 starter? He better be. What position is he gonna play. Hopefully not trying square peg round hole at Center.

Quinyon Mitchell was there. We could have had bookend lockdown CB's.
Obliteration Is Imminent

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am

Dancing bear, loves to finish blocks, exceptional punch, long enough arms, 315+ lbs., nasty demeanor, leader of the best OL in college football last season, powerful, quick feet, exceptional mover.

Pittsburgh just added a one of the best players at his position in the draft, and it was at a position of need. There is quite a bit to be excited about with what the Steelers are getting in Troy Fautanu.

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am

Yeah I am not in the group chat, what the hell are you guys saying about this pick??

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 am

Steal of a pick!

If he was an inch taller he would have been the first OL taken. Incredible ability both as a pass blocker and run blocker.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 am

Like the player, just now sure how he fits.

I'm not in the group chat either :?

Ovie

Post by Ovie » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am

PennyBacker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am
Dancing bear, loves to finish blocks, exceptional punch, long enough arms, 315+ lbs., nasty demeanor, leader of the best OL in college football last season, powerful, quick feet, exceptional mover.

Pittsburgh just added a one of the best players at his position in the draft, and it was at a position of need. There is quite a bit to be excited about with what the Steelers are getting in Troy Fautanu.
Not within the context of having drafted a R1 LT last year, who has yet to get to play the position he was drafted to play. We don’t need a new starter at G. We need a RT and C. Makes little sense to me to keep last year’s R1 LT at RT, where he looks rather pedestrian, and bring in an undersized LT. Knowing what we know about this coaching staff, they’re gonna try to make this kid a C. Makes NO good sense either way…

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 am

I can't see them spending a first round pick on a guard and hope they aren't going to try to teach him to play center. His skill set seems like he fits best as a LT. His wing span is bigger than the huge OT from ND that was the first one picked. It looks like he has the frame to add more muscle too. This makes me wonder if they are going to leave Jones at RT.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 am

Want to be excited. Wait and see mode….
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

Ovie wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am
PennyBacker wrote:

Not within the context of having drafted a R1 LT last year, who has yet to get to play the position he was drafted to play. We don’t need a new starter at G. We need a RT and C. Makes little sense to me to keep last year’s R1 LT at RT, where he looks rather pedestrian, and bring in an undersized LT. Knowing what we know about this coaching staff, they’re gonna try to make this kid a C. Makes NO good sense either way…
It makes total sense when the Steelers have the best coach in the NFL. I would of taken one of the cb's but what do I know.
Last edited by Stlcrtn1974 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

Ovie wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am
PennyBacker wrote:

Broderick Jones was very inexperienced, talented yes, but not a whole ton of reps in college. No guarantee they were planning to move him to LT this next season, just because he was hoping to play there.

Fautanu can play LT, he's proven that for a number of years at Washington. He also has the mentality and personality to be a leader, which could lend itself to eventually playing Center for the Steelers. He'll become a leader no matter where he plays.

Troy Fautanu's athleticism is exactly what the Pittsburgh OL needs right now. He was BPA which also happened to be at a position of need.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:24 am

Good to get a solid pass blocker. Have to begin the season by keeping Russ upright.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:25 am

Steelers Depot 7⃣
@Steelersdepot
·
6m
Khan: ‘Position Aside,’ Troy Fautanu Was ‘Highest Rated Guy On Our Board’ At No. 20 https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/khan- ... um=twitter #Steelers #Pittsburgh #NFL
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/khan- ... -at-no-20/?
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 am

Steelers always claim they take the highest guy on their board. If it's true, it's because they weight certain guys higher based on need already.

Tomlin is saying that this guy is a tackle in their eyes. No move inside planned. Even if it became apparent one was necessary, I trust this coaching staff to deny that reality for several seasons until the guy finds a new home elsewhere. Hopefully he's a bookend tackle.

I have to admit...taking the top rated CB in the draft was tempting.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 am

Kinda doesn’t make sense to trade up last year for inexperienced LT play him at RT and sit back this year draft an undersized LT.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 am
This makes me wonder if they are going to leave Jones at RT.
That’s the rumor. Keep Jones at RT. Why?

So the Steelers continue to draft guys and play them out of position. (See Dotson, Kevin and Jones, Broderick)

I don’t hate an OL pick, but they pick a guy who is better at LT than RT, and your LT of the future, picked just a year ago is now going to be stuck at RT?

I wish they would have taken Mitchell. It would have been nice to have the corners solid for the first time in forever.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 am

Whether you like the pick or not, I'm glad they are FINALLY focusing on the Oline after getting Ben killed the last half dozen or so years of his career. If they are going to run the overly conservative scheme Tomlin has mandated with a QB room full of other team's trash, they should be loading up on the Oline. I hope one of the top centers falls to them in the 2nd round and they don't decide to pick a TE instead this time.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 am
Kinda doesn’t make sense to trade up last year for inexperienced LT play him at RT and sit back this year draft an undersized LT.
And yet, they have a veteran QB who is slated to be the starter that will be 35 to begin the season. I believe he can still play, but not behind the line the way it was last season.

They had a need at OL, multiple needs perhaps. Had to try something.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:34 am

Like the player, Don’t dislike the pick. Trying to wrap my head around it is all. ;)

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 am

Steelers Depot 7⃣
@Steelersdepot
·
5m
Steelers new OT Troy Fautanu as a Steelers fan back in 2016 getting on Mike Tomlin #Steelers #NFL 😂🤣
Troy Fautanu ™
@tFautanu
·
Dec 9, 2018
he’s a game changer... we need someone like him.. tomlin needa figure this out or he finna be gone soon!

Troy Fautanu ™
@tFautanu
·
Nov 24, 2016
@steelers steeler nation boyyyyy

Steelers Network
@SteelersNetwork
·
55m
I’ve seen enough. Lifetime contract.
Troy Fautanu ™
@tFautanu
·
Dec 17, 2017
Big Ben = GOAT
Last edited by RemoAZ on Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 am

PennyBacker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

Fautanu can play LT, he's proven that for a number of years at Washington. He also has the mentality and personality to be a leader, which could lend itself to eventually playing Center for the Steelers. He'll become a leader no matter where he plays.

Troy Fautanu's athleticism is exactly what the Pittsburgh OL needs right now. He was BPA which also happened to be at a position of need.
If he can play LT, he’s going to want to play LT, not center. LT”s make the big bucks. Centers, not so much.

And if LT is his best position, they’ve just pissed off Broderick Jones, last year’s LT of the future.

You might be able to get him to play out of position or do whatever for the first year or two, but he’ll be another unhappy camper if he is playing center and has no desire to make that his career. And he’s 24. He won’t want to waste too much time anywhere else on the OL if he’s a true LT.

It would be nice if their first round OL picks were slotted to a specific position.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 am

Steelers Depot 7⃣
@Steelersdepot
Mike Tomlin on Troy Fautanu: "Really excited about Troy, as Omar said. Man, the tape was just really, really impressive. Not only in terms of his talents, but really I think his talents were really highlighted by the way that Washington utilized his talents schematically. Man, you saw everything that you wanted to see. You saw him out in space in the perimeter game, be it crack toss or wide receiver screens. He was great in the run game. He was a great drop back pass protector." #Steelers #NFL

@Steelersdepot
Mike Tomlin on Troy Fautanu being under 6'4": "You know, what are we talking about? You know, if he was a quarter of inch taller, you might not be asking that. He's got great arm length and his tape is very, very impressive. It's probably one of the reasons why he was available to us, so we really probably appreciate his stature, to be quite honest with you." #Steelers #NFL
Last edited by RemoAZ on Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 am

So Troy Fautanu will be 24 in October. Broderick Jones will be 23 in May. So Fautanu has seniority over Jones, and gets to play LT.

In this case @CoolShades, Fautanu's age is helping him.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:52 am

Steel Bingo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 am
So Troy Fautanu will be 24 in October. Broderick Jones will be 23 in May. So Fautanu has seniority over Jones, and gets to play LT.

Is that how it works in the NFL? Seniority?

I doubt it.

Although on the Steelers, who knows? I think it mostly depends on who Jibbs likes more. Broderick Jones is probably feeling a bit slighted right now. He’s now the team’s 3rd string LT behind Moore and Fautanu.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:53 am

That's how kids frequently settle things Bingo, but that will have nothing to do with who plays LT. It will be based upon who the best man for the job is. As you already pointed out in this thread, the Steelers have to protect the QB better than they have.

Whoever the best man for the left tackle postion is, he will play left tackle. It is really that simple. I will bet that ends up being Fautanu.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 am

CoolShades wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:52 am
Steel Bingo wrote:

I doubt it.

Although on the Steelers, who knows? I think it mostly depends on who Jibbs likes more. Broderick Jones is probably feeling a bit slighted right now. He’s now the team’s 3rd string LT behind Moore and Fautanu.
I wouldn’t go that far…. Moore is a fuckn’ turnstile and should have never been allowed to play LT.

Perhaps he slides inside to LG? With Jones and now Fautanu I would say an embarrassment of riches?

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:59 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 am

I wouldn’t go that far…. Moore is a fuckn’ turnstile and should have never been allowed to play LT.
No argument. I have never understood the love for Moore at LT.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 am

CoolShades wrote:
Steel Bingo wrote:

I doubt it.

Saw your whimsical comment about Jones being slighted and considered it deserved a response of jest. But, all things being equal, seniority may actually work in Fautanu's favor. I see him entering to become a leader. Being a bit older should help that.

Really though, there's no evidence that B. Jones is, or would be torqued about his new teammate because he may become the LT. On the contrary, he's more likely very excited. The OL room got a lot better tonight.

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 am
CoolShades wrote:
Steel Bingo wrote:

I doubt it.

Perhaps he slides inside to LG? With Jones and now Fautanu I would say an embarrassment of riches?
Steelers already have a decent LG.

Steelers need their 1st pick to start day one...if not...considering the Steelers tout themselves as a legit SB contenders...this pick is a failure.

Could've had two potentially, lockdown CB's, who play press, to compete in a passing league, for the next several years.

Strange?!

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am

Tomlin says he stays at OT. Will sort out LT or RT. Either way, we drafted a college LT in the top 20 picks two years in a row, one will play his first contract at RT. I like the player, he’s high effort, leader, nasty blocker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic