Florio cited motivation
Play for money

Smart move by Omar
Potentially historic rb draft class coming up
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Thu May 02, 2024 8:40 pm

I have to say, I'm slightly stunned.

I would think the potential acrimony goes against all they are trying to establish in the locker room.

Maybe they'll negotiate an extension rather than the 5th year...

A 2 or 3 year extension at $5m p/yr?? I'm not sure he'd take that...

Anyway... I'm definitely surprised

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu May 02, 2024 8:40 pm

Yeah, I’m a bit shocked. Probably a good move.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 pm

There is nothing special about Najee Harris...:never was.

He's a good RB....nothing more.

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Thu May 02, 2024 8:52 pm

Warren is better and cheaper

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 pm

This sums it up and it's also why I believe Diontae Johnson is gone.

Diontae Johnson and Najee Harris are good players. They aren't special in any way. Nothing about them is special.

Khan and Weidl are trying to build something special in Pittsburgh and they know both RB and WR can be upgraded and will.

Might not happen immediately, but there is no doubt shit is changing in the 'Burgh.

Everything that has taken place tells me Tomlin no longer has much, if any say, in player personnel decisions.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu May 02, 2024 8:55 pm

TimmayLake wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:52 pm
Warren is better and cheaper
I love Warren but he's still more of a change of pace back who will flourish in certain situations.

If Najee won't agree to a very team friendly deal, they'll find someone who can do what Najee does or better and they won't have to spend a first round pick trying to find that dude.

More like a 3rd or a 4th rounder.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Thu May 02, 2024 8:56 pm

What's bad for Najee is he's had his wheels run off already...I think if he leaves the Steelers he has 2 more productive years left (assuming he's a starter)

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu May 02, 2024 8:57 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 pm
Florio cited motivation
Play for money

Smart move by Omar
Potentially historic rb draft class coming up
I was thinking this was a bad decision. (No idea a good rb class was coming)

That’s good!

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Thu May 02, 2024 8:59 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 pm
Stillchest wrote:

Diontae Johnson and Najee Harris are good players. They aren't special in any way. Nothing about them is special.

Khan and Weidl are trying to build something special in Pittsburgh and they know both RB and WR can be upgraded and will.

Might not happen immediately, but there is no doubt shit is changing in the 'Burgh.

Everything that has taken place tells me Tomlin no longer has much, if any say, in player personnel decisions.
Yeah, this is a surprise, even if only because Najee is clearly a Tomlin favorite.

I'm not going to pass final judgement on Harris because he's been saddled with -
-a very marginal OLine
-highly predictable play design
-scrubs at QB

Even with those limitations, he's done admirably. and yes I'm aware, Warren has out performed him when he's been give the ball as change of pace. When he was the starter because Najee was out, iirc, his production was much more pedestrian.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:59 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 pm
Stillchest wrote:

Yeah, this is a surprise, even if only because Najee is clearly a Tomlin favorite.

I'm not going to pass final judgement on Harris because he's been saddled with -
-a very marginal OLine
-highly predictable play design
-scrubs at QB

Even with those limitations, he's done admirably. and yes I'm aware, Warren has out performed him when he's been give the ball as change of pace. When he was the starter because Najee was out, iirc, his production was much more pedestrian.
I like Najee Harris and everything you said is 100% true. He has played very good football despite being saddled with a shitload of issues on a pretty terrible offense.

He's a good player. Unfortunately, Najee isn't great, elite, a top 5 or 10 RB and he isn't going to be paid big dollars.

If he wants to stay at a fair price, I'm sure the Steelers would like to keep him, but the days of Tomlin's favorites automatically getting paid are over..

Harvey Woodlawn

franco32

Post by franco32 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm

I love Omar and Andy!! Stop settling for mediocrity. This is also a sign that they have more control than Tomlin which is a GREAT thing.

Najee is a solid back but he lacks outside speed and his vision is still quite poor. Not worth a ton of money.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:28 pm

Btw...Arthur Smith may have had a say here too. "This guy can't get to the outside". That kills a lot of his schemes.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 pm

We all know the offense Tomlin wants and has been moving towards for over a decade. He brought in an OC that runs what he wants. They drafted an oline to run it. The only real chance to make it anything more than a nine win, one and done offense is to have a great back, especially with the lack of talent in the QB room. My guess is they didn't see that kind of back in the draft this season so they are going with Harris one more year. I certainly can't see him signing an extension for anything less than what the 5th year option was so that doesn't make sense. Then there's the fact that he basically criticized the coaching staff without saying it was the coaching staff last season. Let's hope Tomlin isn't around for another draft because that will be a RB in the first and extension for Wilson or the Bears QB cementing another half decade of no chance at being a contender.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm

franco32 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:28 pm
Btw...Arthur Smith may have had a say here too. "This guy can't get to the outside". That kills a lot of his schemes.
Great point. Certainly could of played a part in this decision. Like others said above, he’s done admirably with the shit he’s had to deal with.
Maybe he’ll have a great season auditioning for his next team. If he doesn’t fit in the new scheme on O I’m completely fine with letting him walk. Just hate the when ppl talk about him sucking. He does not suck. I’m ready to see what he does this year.

Edit: I may have to stop buying jerseys until players sign their 2nd contract.
Attachments
IMG_8256.jpeg
IMG_8256.jpeg (230.41 KiB) Viewed 636 times

franco32

Post by franco32 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm

There are two ways of looking at broken tackle stats. Sure, it means you are a powerful back.

It also can mean that you are slow to get through the hole and give defenders more time to tackle you.

I've watched Najee a lot. He doesn't scare defenses. He just doesn't. He doesn't threaten them and they don't have to game plan much for him. They just play mostly between the tackles and gang tackle.

Works At A Bank

Post by Works At A Bank » Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm
franco32 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:28 pm
Great point. Certainly could of played a part in this decision. Like others said above, he’s done admirably with the shit he’s had to deal with.
Maybe he’ll have a great season auditioning for his next team. If he doesn’t fit in the new scheme on O I’m completely fine with letting him walk. Just hate the when ppl talk about him sucking. He does not suck. I’m ready to see what he does this year.

Edit: I may have to stop buying jerseys until players sign their 2nd contract.
To be fair I’ve not see anyone here flat out say he sucks. But then again I don’t read every single thread. He’s a good rb with below average vision. Nothing more nothing less. Certainly isn’t worth the 1st round capital used for him but he clearly isn’t shitty.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Thu May 02, 2024 10:01 pm

FO being less giving to players that are not wholly deserving? Good sign.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Thu May 02, 2024 10:30 pm

This is great news. Weidl and Khan are shaping this team, and it’s a good sign.

Najee is another Tomlin pet who needs to go. I like Najee as a person, but he’s not a great back, and he is easily replaced. I’ve never seen anyone hit a hole slower than Najee. Terrible vision.

Now, if they could only give Cam Heyward a huge paycut, say goodbye to his brother, and get rid of Tomlin, the Steelers may finally turn the corner.

It’s beyond time to upgrade this team. Roster AND coaching staff.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 02, 2024 10:49 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 pm
We all know the offense Tomlin wants and has been moving towards for over a decade. He brought in an OC that runs what he wants. They drafted an oline to run it. The only real chance to make it anything more than a nine win, one and done offense is to have a great back, especially with the lack of talent in the QB room. My guess is they didn't see that kind of back in the draft this season so they are going with Harris one more year. I certainly can't see him signing an extension for anything less than what the 5th year option was so that doesn't make sense. Then there's the fact that he basically criticized the coaching staff without saying it was the coaching staff last season. Let's hope Tomlin isn't around for another draft because that will be a RB in the first and extension for Wilson or the Bears QB cementing another half decade of no chance at being a contender.
To be honest, if we're going to "retool while contending," this roster might very well be at least one more draft/FA cycle away from being in the place to start the window/clock with a rookie franchise QB, particularly given they'll likely have to trade up to get that guy. One of the pair of QBs this year on a short, bridge deal would get us there, and have that guy in place as a placeholder starter once the new QB is in the building. Neither of the two is going to break the bank on a short deal. Who, exactly would be competing with us to sign them?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:51 pm

Surprising but what has Khan/Weidl done since running the team? Surprise.

I think it benefits them to negotiate a reasonable contract with him instead of eating 1st RND 5th year money for one season.

The front office doesn’t do things without there being some sort of contingency.

I think they like Harris and prefer he stays in Pittsburgh. Ulterior motives….🤔
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu May 02, 2024 10:52 pm

Not really much to add here other than this is why you shouldn't draft a RB in the first unless you're drafting Adrian Peterson.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Thu May 02, 2024 10:53 pm

franco32 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm
There are two ways of looking at broken tackle stats. Sure, it means you are a powerful back.

It also can mean that you are slow to get through the hole and give defenders more time to tackle you.

I've watched Najee a lot. He doesn't scare defenses. He just doesn't. He doesn't threaten them and they don't have to game plan much for him. They just play mostly between the tackles and gang tackle.
I can’t disagree with your point, but

How much of that was laid upon the offense being completely predictable, and if Najee was in the game it was about 75% going to be an inside run

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:03 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:53 pm
franco32 wrote:

How much of that was laid upon the offense being completely predictable, and if Najee was in the game it was about 75% going to be an inside run
Can’t ignore the Oline he’s had in Pittsburgh. Thinking the Oline just was tuned up and upgraded…. How much better will he be capable of being?
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:03 pm
anpsteel wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Can’t ignore the Oline he’s had in Pittsburgh. Thinking the Oline just was tuned up and upgraded…. How much better will he be capable of being?
Najee is a good back. No question. If attrition football was still the way the game was played, he might even be considered a great back. Unfortunately, it isn't 1974 anymore. Speed is king and big plays, scoring fast is where football is at in 2024.

If you're looking to win the game 16-13, then Najee is your man.

I don't think Weidl and Khan think we should be trying to win 16-13 anymore.

Harvey Woodlawn

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri May 03, 2024 12:09 am

K_C_ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm
Steelafan77 wrote:
anpsteel wrote:

Najee is a good back. No question. If attrition football was still the way the game was played, he might even be considered a great back. Unfortunately, it isn't 1974 anymore. Speed is king and big plays, scoring fast is where football is at in 2024.

Najee is not Barry Sanders and he is also not worthless.

Barry Sanders could lead the league in yards with scrubs blocking for him.

Najee can’t do that.

We have zero All Pros on the offensive side. If you want to win a ring we need some All Pros on the offensive side too.

Everyone on that offense is expendable. Hell even Pickens is probably expendable at this point in time in his career.

This is easy for Khan and Weidl…just keep moving players in and out….the All Pros stick out like sore thumbs and they usually show themselves before the end of a rookie contract.

blu

Post by blu » Fri May 03, 2024 12:35 am

With the new, improved o-line & a blocking wr, Warren will shine brighter. Harris will be the same,

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri May 03, 2024 12:37 am

Ice wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:49 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 pm
To be honest, if we're going to "retool while contending," this roster might very well be at least one more draft/FA cycle away from being in the place to start the window/clock with a rookie franchise QB, particularly given they'll likely have to trade up to get that guy. One of the pair of QBs this year on a short, bridge deal would get us there, and have that guy in place as a placeholder starter once the new QB is in the building. Neither of the two is going to break the bank on a short deal. Who, exactly would be competing with us to sign them?
If Tomlin is the coach, we're not contending either way but I think it's more likely Tomlin stands pat and takes a RB and resigns the garbage we have. There's no more belief in me he can deviate from what he's shown us for 17 years. If he'd have brought in a modern, dynamic OC I might have been willing to invest a sliver of hope but nope, he hired probably the only guy out there that would run the exact offense he's wanted the last decade+.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri May 03, 2024 12:38 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:09 am
K_C_ wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 pm
Steelafan77 wrote:

Najee is not Barry Sanders and he is also not worthless.

Barry Sanders could lead the league in yards with scrubs blocking for him.

Najee can’t do that.

We have zero All Pros on the offensive side. If you want to win a ring we need some All Pros on the offensive side too.

Everyone on that offense is expendable. Hell even Pickens is probably expendable at this point in time in his career.

This is easy for Khan and Weidl…just keep moving players in and out….the All Pros stick out like sore thumbs and they usually show themselves before the end of a rookie contract.
To be fair, we've only got one All Pro on the defensive side.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic