Direct all wailing and gnashing of teeth here....Tomlin extended

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
User avatar
shellwagnerblount
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Direct all wailing and gnashing of teeth here....Tomlin extended

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:33 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:11 pm
I'm only in my mid-late 40s so I'm fine with it. :D
Indeed..you youngsters can hold out!
Us oldsters now give up all hope..
:)



Steeldrama
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:02 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:18 pm
We’ve had some dark years since Ben retired because someone thought teaming up Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada was a good thing, and we even kept Canada around for 3 years!
Dark years indeed.

BUT

I THINK We're crawling out of them.

This is no overnight fix.

IF the Steelers gave Tomlin a 3 year extension AND kept Kenny Pickett around for the duration of his rookie deal THEN the Steelers would've lost me until Tomlin's departure (hopefully before I die).

To my great, pleasant surprise, Kenny is GONE. Should've never been here, but at least he's GONE (more on the front office soon enough).

The Canada debacle has been beaten to death, but revisiting his departure is very important to feeling good about the current direction of this franchise.

What was scary THEN was Tomlin had the power to hire a guy that Ed Freakin Orgeron fired what before his 1st year was even done at LSU?

THEN Tomlin tripled down on a dumb decision by keeping Ed freakin Oregon's reject, Matt Canada, around for 3 years prompting signs and chants of "Fire Canada" at various sporting events across the entire NATION!

Insane.

Just a really scary dumb decision that I would use to keep Tomlin out of the HOF.

Anyway,

As disheartening as Tomlin's extension is given his abysmal playoff record and gawd awful coaching/personnel decisions, this is tolerable for me because of how I feel about Omar Khan and the front office.

They haven't been perfect.

But they're doing their best to undo the mess they inherited from Tombert.

I absolutely love the cost effective additions of Russell Wilson and Justin Fields.

They're far from perfect otherwise they would not have come basically FREE.

Two rock solid draft classes.

Solid free agent signings.

FINALLY committing to putting an NFL caliber OL on the field (Man Tombert's decision to draft MUUUTH over Creed Humphrey will grate at me for the rest of my years. Shit-off stupid).

Major whiff on the Dionte Johnson trade.

That whole we want volunteers not hostages mantra amounts to selling way too low on a proven commodity just to get him off the roster.

Artie Smith can downplay the lack of a #2 WR all he wants, hell it can be argued that Pickens is a #2 and they don't have a #1.
Regardless, that position group is THE WORST in the NFL and it's not close.

On a bit of a caffeine induced rant here, but I sure hope a trade for a quality WR is made before training camp.

I can see the pros and cons of an Aiyuk deal, but I'm committed to a positive outlook on the season, a season that will conclude with a long awaited playoff win.

Aiyuk is a STUD. Maybe not a top 5 WR, but he's not far off. Soooo well rounded.

I pull the trigger.

Give that young OL a year to gel and have Aiyuk and Pickens on board for NEXT year's quarterback (hopefully a rookie stud) is the correct course of action.

This year?

I'll enjoy watching an NFL caliber (albeit a conservative one) OC and a quality veteran QB run the Steelers' offense.

A middle of the pack offense will feel like a wet dream after watching Tomlin's boy's Canada and Pickett attempt to play football.

Tomlin?

HOPEFULLY, He's just keeping the seat warm until Danny Jr FINALLY takes the reigns from Deuce and picks his own coach.

WIN
A
DAMN
PLAYOFF
GAME
MIKE!

Go Russ!
Go Najee!!
Go Uncle Artie!!!
Go STEELERS!!!!
Go SKENES!!!!
GOOOO LIVVVVY!!!!!!

Training camp can't get here soon enough.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

User avatar
anpsteel
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Post by anpsteel » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:39 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:02 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:18 pm
We’ve had some dark years since Ben retired because someone thought teaming up Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada was a good thing, and we even kept Canada around for 3 years!
Dark years indeed.

BUT

I THINK We're crawling out of them.

This is no overnight fix.

IF the Steelers gave Tomlin a 3 year extension AND kept Kenny Pickett around for the duration of his rookie deal THEN the Steelers would've lost me until Tomlin's departure (hopefully before I die).

To my great, pleasant surprise, Kenny is GONE. Should've never been here, but at least he's GONE (more on the front office soon enough).

The Canada debacle has been beaten to death, but revisiting his departure is very important to feeling good about the current direction of this franchise.

What was scary THEN was Tomlin had the power to hire a guy that Ed Freakin Orgeron fired what before his 1st year was even done at LSU?

THEN Tomlin tripled down on a dumb decision by keeping Ed freakin Oregon's reject, Matt Canada, around for 3 years prompting signs and chants of "Fire Canada" at various sporting events across the entire NATION!

Insane.

Just a really scary dumb decision that I would use to keep Tomlin out of the HOF.

Anyway,

As disheartening as Tomlin's extension is given his abysmal playoff record and gawd awful coaching/personnel decisions, this is tolerable for me because of how I feel about Omar Khan and the front office.

They haven't been perfect.

But they're doing their best to undo the mess they inherited from Tombert.

I absolutely love the cost effective additions of Russell Wilson and Justin Fields.

They're far from perfect otherwise they would not have come basically FREE.

Two rock solid draft classes.

Solid free agent signings.

FINALLY committing to putting an NFL caliber OL on the field (Man Tombert's decision to draft MUUUTH over Creed Humphrey will grate at me for the rest of my years. Shit-off stupid).

Major whiff on the Dionte Johnson trade.

That whole we want volunteers not hostages mantra amounts to selling way too low on a proven commodity just to get him off the roster.

Artie Smith can downplay the lack of a #2 WR all he wants, hell it can be argued that Pickens is a #2 and they don't have a #1.
Regardless, that position group is THE WORST in the NFL and it's not close.

On a bit of a caffeine induced rant here, but I sure hope a trade for a quality WR is made before training camp.

I can see the pros and cons of an Aiyuk deal, but I'm committed to a positive outlook on the season, a season that will conclude with a long awaited playoff win.

Aiyuk is a STUD. Maybe not a top 5 WR, but he's not far off. Soooo well rounded.

I pull the trigger.

Give that young OL a year to gel and have Aiyuk and Pickens on board for NEXT year's quarterback (hopefully a rookie stud) is the correct course of action.

This year?

I'll enjoy watching an NFL caliber (albeit a conservative one) OC and a quality veteran QB run the Steelers' offense.

A middle of the pack offense will feel like a wet dream after watching Tomlin's boy's Canada and Pickett attempt to play football.

Tomlin?

HOPEFULLY, He's just keeping the seat warm until Danny Jr FINALLY takes the reigns from Deuce and picks his own coach.

WIN
A
DAMN
PLAYOFF
GAME
MIKE!

Go Russ!
Go Najee!!
Go Uncle Artie!!!
Go STEELERS!!!!
Go SKENES!!!!
GOOOO LIVVVVY!!!!!!

Training camp can't get here soon enough.
I agree with everything you wrote

Except regarding the Dionte Johnson trade

That was addition by subtraction

His shitty attitude was infectious, and clearly not going to change

Plus, he was good for about 2 to 3 negative plays a game. Those being dropped passes, lost first downs, or missed assignments.




In regards to Ayiuk, aside from the amount of money they will have to commit, it comes down to two criteria in my opinion

Do they think Marvin Leal is going to work out? Because if not, they desperately need DLine help next draft.

And to a lesser extent, do you view Pickens as a one contract player?

Because we know they aren’t paying both of those guys $25m+

Orangesteel
Posts: 10762
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:53 am

I’m riding with you Drama. I 💯 agree about sending Kenny packing; I’ve been down on Tomlin for a long time but I will commend him for that if he was the motivating factor.

I’m bullish heading into the season. Probably for dumb and black and gold colored glasses reasons, but whatever, go Steelers!
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 3207
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:04 am

I would have much rather given Kenny a 3 year extension than Tomlin. At least he could be benched/cut. You guys are nuts. There's been one constant over the last decade plus of disappointment that has consistently moved farther away from being a contender. That's not Kenny Pickett.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1718126380785 (1).jpg
FB_IMG_1718126380785 (1).jpg (100.78 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

CKSteeler
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

Post by CKSteeler » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:10 am

He sent Pickett packing to bring in Russell fucking Wilson and Justin Fields.

Tomlin is a maroon grasping at straws.

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 9551
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:05 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:10 am
He sent Pickett packing to bring in Russell fucking Wilson and Justin Fields.

Tomlin is a maroon grasping at straws.
KP did not merely suck (here) but historically sucked (here). And the FO got a draft pick for KP who historically sucked (here) and Wilson and Fields were pretty much free. Looking at Wilson's stats from Denver last year, I don't understand what your beef is.....other than you just hate Tomlin. Ride Wilson....see if Fields can be rehabilitated or draft the future QB. All of this is unbridgeable abyssal gulfs better than having Kenny historically sucked Pickett in the building and on the field.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 27972
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:33 pm

AirRescueFF wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:49 am
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:09 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:28 pm

It doesn't matter: they want to run the same offense. They have the same stated goals for how they see the role of offense. Tomlin found a guy he can trust to do what he wants.
correct - nothing has changed. in fact, it has gone farther down the rabbit hole of slow motion football

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/st ... ngNewsSerp
Attachments
IMG_3203.gif
IMG_3203.gif (546.33 KiB) Viewed 838 times

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 27972
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:00 pm

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:39 pm
Say what you want about Mark Madden, but his assessment of Tomlin is spot on:

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -no-sense/
Will that benefit the Steelers in Week 1? Maybe, maybe not. But Tomlin’s thought process never looks past the next game. He refuses to consider the big picture.
This quote is cash money.

CKSteeler
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

Post by CKSteeler » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:05 pm
CKSteeler wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:10 am
He sent Pickett packing to bring in Russell fucking Wilson and Justin Fields.

Tomlin is a maroon grasping at straws.
KP did not merely suck (here) but historically sucked (here). And the FO got a draft pick for KP who historically sucked (here) and Wilson and Fields were pretty much free. Looking at Wilson's stats from Denver last year, I don't understand what your beef is.....other than you just hate Tomlin. Ride Wilson....see if Fields can be rehabilitated or draft the future QB. All of this is unbridgeable abyssal gulfs better than having Kenny historically sucked Pickett in the building and on the field.
My issue with Wilson is I watched him play. Any veteran QB can and should be able to put up a decent stat line in the modern NFL.

The Broncos are paying him ridiculous money just to be done with him. There's reasons for that.

I get it from the Steelers standpoint. It's all very low risk, high potential reward. It's easy to sell yourself on that in the off-season. Then December rolls around and you are staring another .500 season in the face and you are asking yourself what the hell did those bargain basement moves really mean but another year in purgatory.

Worse yet...this team may get real delusional and deal a high pick for a star WR who they then have to pay 30+ million a year for. If they do that, can anyone really argue these moves aren't just out of desperation to get over the Wild Card weekend ump?

User avatar
O'Donnell's Bookie
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 07, 2024 5:41 pm

Post by O'Donnell's Bookie » Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm

We fucked up letting Mason Almighty walk.

User avatar
.Kodiak
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:33 pm

Post by .Kodiak » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:42 pm

O'Donnell's Bookie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm
We fucked up letting Mason Almighty walk.
He's a career backup, at best. IMO, he's practically a Laundry Jones clone.

Still light years better than Pickett. It was comical watching Pickett eye-fuck his reads, and then throw the ball 3 seconds late (if he threw it at all).

User avatar
langer
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

Post by langer » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:44 pm

Im reading reports that Hurts should be nervous about Kenny Football taking his job.

LOL
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Jobu
Posts: 16913
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:59 am

langer wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:44 pm
Im reading reports that Hurts should be nervous about Kenny Football taking his job.

LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!
“I wish Tomlin had said “his tape was crap, but we took him anyway.” -Mark Madden

User avatar
Ice
Posts: 6172
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Location: Delawhere?

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:34 am

O'Donnell's Bookie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm
We fucked up letting Mason Almighty walk.
Liberty Bibberty: a bit better than Pickett, and slightly better than a man named Duck.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

User avatar
langer
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

Post by langer » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:09 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:59 am
langer wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:44 pm
Im reading reports that Hurts should be nervous about Kenny Football taking his job.

LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!
Throw one more thing into the bizarro world of the NFL.

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/new- ... r-at-otas/
New Eagles QB Kenny Pickett Is Reportedly Out Playing Jalen Hurts And Looking ‘Sharper’ At OTAs
https://fansided.com/posts/kenny-picket ... t-steelers
Don't get it twisted: Kenny Pickett's fast start at Eagles OTAs is indictment of Steelers
Kenny Pickett is off to a great start at Philadelphia Eagles OTAs, which isn't a good look for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

User avatar
langer
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

Post by langer » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:56 pm

This guy is going places. With his ability to kiss ass and lie he could be the next HC.
"He’s the best football tactician that we have on the planet."
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/best- ... ke-tomlin/
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

User avatar
shellwagnerblount
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:12 pm

langer wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:56 pm
This guy is going places. With his ability to kiss ass and lie he could be the next HC.
"He’s the best football tactician that we have on the planet."
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/best- ... ke-tomlin/
I think I'm going to apply for the job then...lol...seems the bar aint' all that high. A lot of things come to mind when I think about Coach Tomlin but "tactician" isn't included.

Dan Smith--BYU
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:33 am

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:35 pm

This guy is going places. With his ability to kiss ass and lie he could be the next HC.

The Black and Gold version of Waylon Smithers.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

W&M_Steeler
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 am

Post by W&M_Steeler » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:50 pm

langer wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:09 pm
Jobu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:59 am
langer wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:44 pm
Im reading reports that Hurts should be nervous about Kenny Football taking his job.

LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!
Throw one more thing into the bizarro world of the NFL.

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/new- ... r-at-otas/
New Eagles QB Kenny Pickett Is Reportedly Out Playing Jalen Hurts And Looking ‘Sharper’ At OTAs
https://fansided.com/posts/kenny-picket ... t-steelers
Don't get it twisted: Kenny Pickett's fast start at Eagles OTAs is indictment of Steelers
Kenny Pickett is off to a great start at Philadelphia Eagles OTAs, which isn't a good look for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Kenny is the king of preseason. Remember how great he looked last preseason. He has preseason mojo.

User avatar
DP39
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Post by DP39 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:28 pm

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:12 pm
langer wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:56 pm
This guy is going places. With his ability to kiss ass and lie he could be the next HC.
"He’s the best football tactician that we have on the planet."
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/best- ... ke-tomlin/
I think I'm going to apply for the job then...lol...seems the bar aint' all that high. A lot of things come to mind when I think about Coach Tomlin but "tactician" isn't included.
So true.

Sadly, most likely this guy is speaking HIS truth! So, stated another way (as I keep saying over and over these past few years), "it's just the blind leading the blind!" You don't know what you don't know...you know? :lol:

Just another mediocre (or below) coach knelling to the alter that is Mike T. He see's MT as the smartest guy in the room, and with the folks MT surrounds himself with, he always sounds like he is. Put MT in the room with real NFL HCs and he's below average -- on his best day. :oops:

CKSteeler
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

Post by CKSteeler » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 am

As much as I despise Tomlin, he's sadly no dumber than the average NFL head coach. He probably is a top 10 on the planet at his profession. It's just a profession that consists of a good'ol boy network and straight up nepotism.

Mike Tomlin is in the Kirk Cousins tier of coaches for me.

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:34 am
O'Donnell's Bookie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm
We fucked up letting Mason Almighty walk.
Liberty Bibberty: a bit better than Pickett, and slightly better than a man named Duck.
He had competent QB play and we were starved for any competent QB play. which is why Bibberty looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

why are there no articles on Rudolph taking Levis' job?
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

User avatar
Ice
Posts: 6172
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Location: Delawhere?

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:18 pm

Because Bibbs is to QB play what a McDonald's cheeseburger is to turnpike food?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jobu
Posts: 16913
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:40 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:18 pm
Because Bibbs is to QB play what a McDonald's cheeseburger is to turnpike food?
Nice! :lol:
“I wish Tomlin had said “his tape was crap, but we took him anyway.” -Mark Madden

User avatar
.Kodiak
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:33 pm

Post by .Kodiak » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:40 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 am
As much as I despise Tomlin, he's sadly no dumber than the average NFL head coach.
No, but those other coaches are more innovative, willing to take risks, and simply outwork Tomlin. That's why he's outcoached in the playoffs over and over and over again.

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 29543
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:42 pm

jebrick wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:07 pm
Ice wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:34 am
O'Donnell's Bookie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm
We fucked up letting Mason Almighty walk.
Liberty Bibberty: a bit better than Pickett, and slightly better than a man named Duck.
He had competent QB play and we were starved for any competent QB play. which is why Bibberty looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

why are there no articles on Rudolph taking Levis' job?
Let's see how the Titans play early.

Levis completed 58% of his passes last year with 8 TD passes and 4 picks.

Because he's young I'm sure he has the inside track on the starting job, but dude has a whole lot of improving to do.

We'll see if he does it.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

User avatar
tbsteel
Posts: 8105
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by tbsteel » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:01 am

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:02 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:18 pm
We’ve had some dark years since Ben retired because someone thought teaming up Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada was a good thing, and we even kept Canada around for 3 years!
Dark years indeed.

BUT

I THINK We're crawling out of them.

This is no overnight fix.

IF the Steelers gave Tomlin a 3 year extension AND kept Kenny Pickett around for the duration of his rookie deal THEN the Steelers would've lost me until Tomlin's departure (hopefully before I die).

To my great, pleasant surprise, Kenny is GONE. Should've never been here, but at least he's GONE (more on the front office soon enough).

The Canada debacle has been beaten to death, but revisiting his departure is very important to feeling good about the current direction of this franchise.

What was scary THEN was Tomlin had the power to hire a guy that Ed Freakin Orgeron fired what before his 1st year was even done at LSU?

THEN Tomlin tripled down on a dumb decision by keeping Ed freakin Oregon's reject, Matt Canada, around for 3 years prompting signs and chants of "Fire Canada" at various sporting events across the entire NATION!

Insane.

Just a really scary dumb decision that I would use to keep Tomlin out of the HOF.

Anyway,

As disheartening as Tomlin's extension is given his abysmal playoff record and gawd awful coaching/personnel decisions, this is tolerable for me because of how I feel about Omar Khan and the front office.

They haven't been perfect.

But they're doing their best to undo the mess they inherited from Tombert.

I absolutely love the cost effective additions of Russell Wilson and Justin Fields.

They're far from perfect otherwise they would not have come basically FREE.

Two rock solid draft classes.

Solid free agent signings.

FINALLY committing to putting an NFL caliber OL on the field (Man Tombert's decision to draft MUUUTH over Creed Humphrey will grate at me for the rest of my years. Shit-off stupid).

Major whiff on the Dionte Johnson trade.

That whole we want volunteers not hostages mantra amounts to selling way too low on a proven commodity just to get him off the roster.

Artie Smith can downplay the lack of a #2 WR all he wants, hell it can be argued that Pickens is a #2 and they don't have a #1.
Regardless, that position group is THE WORST in the NFL and it's not close.

On a bit of a caffeine induced rant here, but I sure hope a trade for a quality WR is made before training camp.

I can see the pros and cons of an Aiyuk deal, but I'm committed to a positive outlook on the season, a season that will conclude with a long awaited playoff win.

Aiyuk is a STUD. Maybe not a top 5 WR, but he's not far off. Soooo well rounded.

I pull the trigger.

Give that young OL a year to gel and have Aiyuk and Pickens on board for NEXT year's quarterback (hopefully a rookie stud) is the correct course of action.

This year?

I'll enjoy watching an NFL caliber (albeit a conservative one) OC and a quality veteran QB run the Steelers' offense.

A middle of the pack offense will feel like a wet dream after watching Tomlin's boy's Canada and Pickett attempt to play football.

Tomlin?

HOPEFULLY, He's just keeping the seat warm until Danny Jr FINALLY takes the reigns from Deuce and picks his own coach.

WIN
A
DAMN
PLAYOFF
GAME
MIKE!

Go Russ!
Go Najee!!
Go Uncle Artie!!!
Go STEELERS!!!!
Go SKENES!!!!
GOOOO LIVVVVY!!!!!!

Training camp can't get here soon enough.

Inject this into my veins.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 27972
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:31 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:42 pm
jebrick wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:07 pm
Ice wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:34 am


Liberty Bibberty: a bit better than Pickett, and slightly better than a man named Duck.
He had competent QB play and we were starved for any competent QB play. which is why Bibberty looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

why are there no articles on Rudolph taking Levis' job?
Let's see how the Titans play early.

Levis completed 58% of his passes last year with 8 TD passes and 4 picks.

Because he's young I'm sure he has the inside track on the starting job, but dude has a whole lot of improving to do.

We'll see if he does it.
His new coach is from the fast-track offensive rising stars of coaching—titans are going to be really good on offense and Levis… for the first time in his career… will have a legit offense with a legit playcaller.

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 29543
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:42 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:31 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:42 pm
jebrick wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:07 pm


He had competent QB play and we were starved for any competent QB play. which is why Bibberty looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

why are there no articles on Rudolph taking Levis' job?
Let's see how the Titans play early.

Levis completed 58% of his passes last year with 8 TD passes and 4 picks.

Because he's young I'm sure he has the inside track on the starting job, but dude has a whole lot of improving to do.

We'll see if he does it.
His new coach is from the fast-track offensive rising stars of coaching—titans are going to be really good on offense and Levis… for the first time in his career… will have a legit offense with a legit playcaller.
While that's all great, Levis will have even more pressure on him to perform with all the pieces in place.

Last year he seemed to get worse as the season went along. The guy has all the tools but results are all that matters.

Kenny Pickett had a bad o-line, a horrific OC (for nearly the entire 2 years he was in PIttsburgh) and his weapons weren't exactly reliable. We all know about DJ, but Pickens didn't always go 100% and Freiermuth seemingly lives on the injured list. Pickett was loathed because he failed despite having an imbecile as a head coach.

Levis should have no excuses to have one helluva year coming up.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic