I feel a big year comin' on for this little homie.

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:08 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Warren but he needs to remain a complimentary back.

Dude struggled in a major way when the weather got shitty and that goes for most undersized speed/shifty backs.

He also had trouble hanging on to the ball in bad weather so I have zero problem with Warren getting 50% or higher of the touches until the weather turns ugly, then let Najee do his thing.

Warren definitely needs to be more involved in the passing game and I think Arthur Smith has big plans for JW in that area this season.
Last edited by K_C_ on Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:28 pm

Really good RB draft coming up in 2025, and I'm not talking about replacing Warren. I'll be interested to see how Harris comes in and produces this season. As a Buckeye fan, I have a favorite for his possible replacement already.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:38 pm

This why drafting a RB in the 1st is ridiculous. Warren & FWP were undrafted FA and have done well for the Steelers. I hope Harris doesn't get a C2. His replacement can be drafted in the lower rounds or UDFA.
Obliteration Is Imminent

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:47 pm

One interesting evaluation of Khan/Weidl vs. Colbert will be where the team targets RB (or RBs) in the next couple of drafts. Colbert was clearly unfazed by the idea of a 1st round RB. We'll see with the new regime coming soon.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:44 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:28 pm
Really good RB draft coming up in 2025, and I'm not talking about replacing Warren. I'll be interested to see how Harris comes in and produces this season. As a Buckeye fan, I have a favorite for his possible replacement already.
Either would be great, although I prefer Henderson. That's going to be a nasty 1-2 punch. Defense should be elite also. Hopefully Howard is competent enough. This could be our year Ice.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:28 pm

Ice wrote:
Ashton Jeanty?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:29 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:44 pm
Ice wrote:
Either would be great, although I prefer Henderson. That's going to be a nasty 1-2 punch. Defense should be elite also. Hopefully Howard is competent enough. This could be our year Ice.
I don't think Howard was the best of the transfer QBs this year, but he's pretty good.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:32 pm

Your lips to God's ears ;) Henderson, if healthy, is pretty close to exactly what you want in a modern NFL offense, but (acknowledging the Steelers don't exactly run one) Judkins looks like he actually is the type of RB that Najee was drafted to be... tough to go wrong, indeed.

Howard was shaky in the spring game, but man, with that crowd and coverage, media-wise, he definitely wasn't in Kansas anymore. I'm confident his talent wins out as he settles down. I'll admit I was rooting for B2B's guy Ward in the portal, but Howard has some great plays on tape and a ton of potential in that offense.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:35 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:28 pm
Ice wrote:
Ashton Jeanty?
Well, yeah, if you're looking outside of Columbus :lol: It really is a stupid deep draft at the position.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:56 pm

Add Ollie Gordon to my wishlist as well.

Also dig Jadyn Ott.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:17 am

K_C_ wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:08 pm

Dude struggled in a major way when the weather got shitty and that goes for most undersized speed/shifty backs.

He also had trouble hanging on to the ball in bad weather so I have zero problem with Warren getting 50% or higher of the touches until the weather turns ugly, then let Najee do his thing.

Warren definitely needs to be more involved in the passing game and I think Arthur Smith has big plans for JW in that area this season.
Totally agree here on Warren he is a complimentary back. He does put the ball on the ground a bit to much as well especially bad weather. He good but not a number one

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:42 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:44 pm
Ice wrote:
Dammit y’all got me excited for what I THINK is going to be an absolutely EPIC college football season.

Georgia for the first time under Kirby has an absolutely loaded schedule opening at the Benz with Clemson then brutal road games to Texas and Bama (hell yes I’m going)

Texas and Oklahoma
Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA
The SEC and Big Ten are two filthy Super Conferences

12 team playoff?
9 maybe even 10 of those spots taken by SEC and Big ten?

Chaos

But

Ohhhh sooo exciting!

Alas

It’s only June 26th
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:31 pm

Heard that, Drama. If I've got a question about my Buckeyes, it's the O-line more than anything, but at least they're going up against some hosses in practice leading up to the season. Hoping on that iron sharpens iron thing.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:18 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:56 pm
Add Ollie Gordon to my wishlist as well.

Also dig Jadyn Ott.
As previously stated, it's a ridiculous RB class. All the more reason not to marry yourself to any vet RB who isn't an outlier pass receiver or cheap.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:39 pm

They should let Harris and Heyward walk.
But we know both will be resigned to big contracts because they’re Tomlins BFF’s.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:27 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:39 pm
But we know both will be resigned to big contracts because they’re Tomlins BFF’s.
^^^^^this

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:47 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:27 pm
cop1211 wrote:
^^^^^this
IDK...I feel Khan has brought a different vibe/feel. The days when what Tomlin wanted, he got, I feel are coming to an end.
These past 2 offseasons (draft/FA) have brought more of an unpredictableness than I've experienced the past 15 years or so.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:05 pm

Deebo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:47 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
cop1211 wrote:
^^^^^this
IDK...I feel Khan has brought a different vibe/feel. The days when what Tomlin wanted, he got, I feel are coming to an end.
These past 2 offseasons (draft/FA) have brought more of an unpredictableness than I've experienced the past 15 years or so.
Yeah… I present as evidence: Patrick Queen as an example of a Tomlin move-- spending serious jack on a downhill LB is so 25 years ago.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:27 pm

Deebo wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:
cop1211 wrote:
^^^^^this
Here here. I’m with ya. Weird but exciting times for sure.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:34 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:05 pm
Deebo wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:

^^^^^this
Yeah… I present as evidence: Patrick Queen as an example of a Tomlin move-- spending serious jack on a downhill LB is so 25 years ago.
While I hate Tomlin with a passion, I feel this was very much cosigned by Khan. They knew their LBing corps was decimated last year and they wanted to ensure stability at that position. Queen is a guy who is reliable and productive. I don't view that signing as a straight Tomlin decision.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:54 pm

Deebo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:34 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Deebo wrote:

While I hate Tomlin with a passion, I feel this was very much cosigned by Khan. They knew their LBing corps was decimated last year and they wanted to ensure stability at that position. Queen is a guy who is reliable and productive. I don't view that signing as a straight Tomlin decision.
Khan and Weidl strike me as onboard the positional value train and inside LB is normally low on the positional value charts. I think RB, G, & ILB in some order are at the bottom. So, for you big offseason FA signing to be at a position of lackluster value is way more aligned with the "old-school, hardnosedbluecollarfootball" of Mike T.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:52 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:54 pm
Deebo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:34 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Khan and Weidl strike me as onboard the positional value train and inside LB is normally low on the positional value charts. I think RB, G, & ILB in some order are at the bottom. So, for you big offseason FA signing to be at a position of lackluster value is way more aligned with the "old-school, hardnosedbluecollarfootball" of Mike T.
I don't think it's a binary thing. Both can be true: Khan/Weidl AND Tomlin wanted Queen (albeit for different reasons)

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:57 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:17 am
K_C_ wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:08 pm

H
Totally agree here on Warren he is a complimentary back. He does put the ball on the ground a bit to much as well especially bad weather. He good but not a number one
Well we know Najee isn’t a #1 back. He puts up bust level yards per carry and yards per catch and been featured on one of the league’s worst, least explosive, least efficient offenses in the NFL for years now. Since Najee isn’t going to be a Steeler after this season, might as well see if Warren can handle the load. All the Najee homers think Warren is Tony Pollard when he could just as easily be a Willie Parker or Austin Ekeler ready to bust out in a big way.

Really wouldn’t mind seeing Najee tweak a hamstring for a month this year and give Warren a true opportunity. If he holds onto the ball he’s far and away the better, more talented RB and has been for literal years now.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

O'Donnell's Bookie

Post by O'Donnell's Bookie » Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:23 pm

Yeah if the fucker starts coughing it up that changes everything. I could see Tomlin sitting him down the majority of the time and riding Najee. But if he hangs onto it, I see multiple big plays comin'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic