Duck thoughts.......

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
SteelerDayTrader

Duck thoughts.......

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm

He was what I thought.....a good backup quality QB unafraid to take some shots and willing to have some faith guys would make plays for him in tight windows.....

I have zero doubt we are not winning a Lombardi this year but Im going to enjoy pulling for this team to make the playoffs and maybe luck out a win or 2...

Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

punum123

Post by punum123 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Undefeated
Rudolph should not see the field again this season.
That is all...

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Teach Duck to step up in the pocket and we may have something in this guy.

About the only flaw I've been seeing in his game so far.

Intermediate passing game still seems to be missing a bit, though. Can we get our tight ends the ball a little further down the field than the LOS please?
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm
Teach Duck to step up in the pocket and we may have something in this guy.

About the only flaw I've been seeing in his game so far.

Intermediate passing game still seems to be missing a bit, though. Can we get our tight ends the ball a little further down the field than the LOS please?
Yeah, he was trying to buy time trying to escape outside the pocket instead of stepping up in the pocket at times. Seems clear where he is comfortable and where he is not comfortable.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

KCSteeler

Post by KCSteeler » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Did Vance McDonald pump somebody's wife or something? Just curious why we aren't throwing to him over the middle more. I liked what Duck did yesterday, but these heaves down the sidelines aren't going to work forever. We need to work between the hashes too.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it"....Charles Oakley

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm

KCSteeler wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm
Did Vance McDonald pump somebody's wife or something? Just curious why we aren't throwing to him over the middle more. I liked what Duck did yesterday, but these heaves down the sidelines aren't going to work forever. We need to work between the hashes too.
One time we threw a seam pass to McDonald, we got the old McDonald...he broke a tackle and fought for a critical first down.

Felt like that was the first time Vanimal was targeted downfield ALL SEASON.

I agree. I know Duck is an undrafted dude from Samford, but run run pass makes it harder on him, not easier.

Yeah, Snell did great yesterday, but better teams will shut that shit down and then it goes to hell.

Randy- please find and rechannel your Seven Shots Self. Show us you're worth what we are paying you. Let's see what these kids can really do with the four games that are left.
Last edited by jeemie on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:19 pm

KCSteeler wrote:
The answer is that Randy Fichtner is Ben's hood ornament. He's a loser as OC. Just really wretched.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:25 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm
KCSteeler wrote:
One time we threw a seam pass to McDonald, we got the old McDonald...he broke a tackle and fought for a critical first down.

Felt like that was the first time Vanimal was targeted downfield ALL SEASON.

I agree. I know Duck is an undrafted dude from Samford, but run run pass makes it harder on him, not easier.

Yeah, Snell did great yesterday, but better teams will shut that shit down and then it goes to hell.

Randy- please find and rechannel your Seven Shots Self. Show us you're worth what we are paying you. Let's see what these kids can really do with the four games that are left.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Don’t forget, however, the biggest difference between a top 10 QB in the NFL, and the other guys, is the ability to throw to the middle of the field in tight coverage windows. That’s what typically sets guys apart.

I don’t know if Duck is capable of that, and I don’t know if the coaches are prepared to find that out.

This is why Rustbelt Randy getting more creative on offense is what I advocate for. Having JJSS and Conner back will help. I really liked the designed roll outs to Whyte and Vannett yesterday. We need to employ a creative game plan the entire 60 minutes; not this wait until we are down two scores bullshit before we start throwing the ball downfield.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm

CLE was still crowding the box. That left 1-on-1 match-ups for Washington, and Duck at least had the balls and ability to give Washington a chance to make plays (which he did, several times).

With JuJu back and defenses, presumably, playing a bit more conventionally....should open up things for the running game and TE's.

Duck's ball placement and timing were far from perfect, but pretty good (especially for a guy who hasn't had a lot of reps with the starters). But you can't wait until you're behind 10-0 to start running an NFL offense, either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Not sure if this was covered in the game thread, but did Duck audible into the pass to Cain that resulted in the pass interference? If so, well done Duck.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic