Pens vs Bolts 2-11-20

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
fractalsteel

Pens vs Bolts 2-11-20

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Looks like Zucker is going to play tonight and Stamkos won't.

Penguins projected lineup
Jason Zucker -- Sidney Crosby -- Dominik Simon

Jared McCann -- Evgeni Malkin -- Bryan Rust

Zach Aston-Reese -- Teddy Blueger -- Brandon Tanev

Andrew Agozzino -- Sam Lafferty -- Patric Hornqvist

Jack Johnson -- Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson -- Justin Schultz

Juuso Riikola -- Chad Ruhwedel

Tristan Jarry

Matt Murray

Scratched: Anthony Angello

Injured: Nick Bjugstad (core muscle surgery), Brian Dumoulin (ankle surgery), Jake Guentzel (shoulder surgery), Dominik Kahun (concussion), John Marino (facial surgery)

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 am

Letang can't take the unsportsmanlike penalty even if the refs were one sided in the second period. That is the kind of shit that loses games.

Murray has been really good tonight.
Crosby has stood out as well and Zucker seems like he can fit with him.

The Pens have been better 5 on 5 tonight then recent games and credit Malkin for his 200 ft game so far tonight. Kudos to Bluegar for his work on the PK.

Marino is out 3-6 weeks.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 am

Murray was good tonight but that goddamn sucks to lose like that in OT. We possessed the entire OT period and lost.

We do not match up well against the Bolts. I don’t think many teams do as I consider them a front runner.

We play them in the dance Sully is going to have his hands full. Vaselevsky is playing out of his mind right now.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:40 pm

TB could be hurting if Kucherov is out for any length of time, though.

And no, I do not feel one ounce of sympathy.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 am

We do not match up well against the Bolts.

I'm not quite ready to say that. We've pretty much gone stride for stride with them the past two games besides the third period in the first game.

We had a number of shots off the post, or just flat out weird bounces that should have gone in the net about 95% of the time, they just somehow didn't. And, of course, Vasilevsky has been incredible on just about everything else.

Don't get me wrong, they're going to be a tough matchup if and when we see them in the playoffs. But we can beat them. Especially when we get Dumoulin and Marino back (and assuming no one else gets hit by a bus before then).

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:10 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:16 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 am

We do not match up well against the Bolts.

I'm not quite ready to say that. We've pretty much gone stride for stride with them the past two games besides the third period in the first game.

We had a number of shots off the post, or just flat out weird bounces that should have gone in the net about 95% of the time, they just somehow didn't. And, of course, Vasilevsky has been incredible on just about everything else.

Don't get me wrong, they're going to be a tough matchup if and when we see them in the playoffs. But we can beat them. Especially when we get Dumoulin and Marino back (and assuming no one else gets hit by a bus before then).
It seems like the bigger problem is our forwards against their giant defensemen. They've got to have a different plan for how to attack this team. Bryan Rust gets it: it's about getting the puck behind the defense but not so hard that their G can play the puck. They're too good at taking your time and space in the neutral zone/middle of the defensive zone. You can't carry it through the wall.

Posts happen, but some of those tonight are goals like 90% of the time.

The OT possession was really encouraging, but Malkin had to get off the ice before that rush.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm

That’s fair on both. Bolts are built well; defensemen are solid, really good skaters and move the puck well. First things first we need a healthy Pens team. When we aren’t hurt, we are deep. Maybe it was me but Jesus to the Bolts know how to block shots. Seemed like we couldn’t get anything through last night. Even Geno’s goal was one of the juiciest rebounds you will see; otherwise it looked like the shooting lanes were non existent.

Did y’all see Zucker was playing with Jake’s gloves last night? That’s funny. Even without his gear he looked good. I expect this team to come out flying on Friday.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm
That’s fair on both. Bolts are built well; defensemen are solid, really good skaters and move the puck well. First things first we need a healthy Pens team. When we aren’t hurt, we are deep. Maybe it was me but Jesus to the Bolts know how to block shots. Seemed like we couldn’t get anything through last night. Even Geno’s goal was one of the juiciest rebounds you will see; otherwise it looked like the shooting lanes were non existent.

Did y’all see Zucker was playing with Jake’s gloves last night? That’s funny. Even without his gear he looked good. I expect this team to come out flying on Friday.
To me the notable thing was the passing lanes were non-existent. Sid's pass hit a guys skates like 5 times, ehich never happens to him.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:14 pm

The encouraging things to me about the last couple of Pens-TB tilts are: the games have been close (heck, got a point last night), in a stretch where the Pens have been hurt and tired and TBL has pretty much been playing the best hockey in the NHL; the Pens have added a gun to their lineup in Zucker, and may be getting some more back in Kahun, Dumo and Marino, very soon. We're going to have to see what TBL does at the deadline, but if anything, these last two games have left me feeling more positive than not looking at a playoff matchup down the line.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

We got Vasoline'd. Pens had chances, but their goalie was slightly better than ours
It happens...I thought we played fine vs one of the top teams in the league.

Remember we're missing Dumo and Marino: #2 and #3 Dmen respectively. Eliminate any teams defenders like that and where would they be?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Much better last night.
Don't know why you guys think the game in Tampa last week was close, it wasn't. Sure the score was tight but the Bolts took it to the Pens and controlled most of the game.

At least they got a point last night against the team playing the best in the league.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:34 am

I got to watch all of last night, didn't see all of the 2/6 tilt. We're pretty tired and playing shorthanded with talent, and competing well with the best. We've got some guys coming back. Not sure what they can add at the deadline that would equate to an integrated Zuck, as well as a returning Marino, Dumoulin, Kahun (in addition to Schultz hopefully shaking off some more rust) and possibly Bjugs if he survives the deadline.

I'm a mug of haze half full guy, though.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic