Pens vs Kings 2-26-20

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
fractalsteel

Pens vs Kings 2-26-20

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 pm

McCann out with undisclosed injury.

West coast games suck.

Dumo, Marino practicing.

Penguins projected lineup
Jason Zucker -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Bryan Rust -- Evgeni Malkin -- Patric Hornqvist

Patrick Marleau -- Evan Rodrigues -- Dominik Simon

Sam Lafferty -- Teddy Blueger -- Brandon Tanev

Jack Johnson -- Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson -- Justin Schultz

Juuso Riikola -- Chad Ruhwedel

Matt Murray

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Zach Trotman

Injured: Jared McCann (undisclosed), Nick Bjugstad (core muscle surgery), Brian Dumoulin (ankle surgery), Jake Guentzel (shoulder surgery), John Marino (facial surgery), Zach Aston-Reese (lower body)

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 am

Love these games out here on the West Coast.

That was a really bad call setting up the Kings goal. These are games Pens need to win since this is a team completely rebuilding.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:24 am

Pens looked better towards the end there. I’ve never heard of the Kings goalie.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:59 am

I’m so tired of watching Simon shoot it into the chest and pads of opposing goaltenders. Guy is a bump on a fucking log.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 am

And Johnson shooting the puck is a goddamn nightmare.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 am

Great play Johnson you fucking idiot.

This team is starting to piss me off.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:17 am

If Bleuger learned how to skate that’s an easy goal.

Entire team is playing like shit.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:10 am

Complete dogshit effort by everyone tonight. Jarry was solid but everyone from Sid to fucking Ruhweedel sucked my ass. Correction - Malkin was very good. Otherwise, that was 60 minutes of pathetic hockey right there.

If Sheary is going to play like that no way does he deserve to be on the top line.

This team looks like hell. Time to start moving shit around Sully. That is a BAD Kings team; easily second worst team in the league.
Last edited by Orangesteel on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 am

Oh, and Johnson Letang pairing was EPIC bad tonight. Holy shit.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Jesus, man. Reading through this you'd think they lost 20-0.

I'll give you that Johnson sucked, but I thought it was a pretty good effort otherwise. We dominated in shots and offensive zone time, and had plenty of scoring chances that just didn't go in.

There were certainly times when they looked a little disjointed, but that's to be expected when you have 3 guys from other teams playing their first games.

Just one of those games where the puck doesn't go in. Obviously, the timing for such a game couldn't have been much worse, but I didn't see this game as anything to worry about in the least. In fact, I rather liked how Marleau and Sheary looked. I was afraid they'd immediately stick Sheary back on Sid's line, which they obviously did. But after seeing him there I think he may actually be an upgrade over Simon.

I think we're going to see a ton of shuffling of the bottom two lines in the upcoming games. I'm not entirely sure how those chips are going to fall. I didn't see a whole lot of out of Rodrigues, but it is only one game.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Jesus, man. Reading through this you'd think they lost 20-0.

I'll give you that Johnson sucked, but I thought it was a pretty good effort otherwise. We dominated in shots and offensive zone time, and had plenty of scoring chances that just didn't go in.

There were certainly times when they looked a little disjointed, but that's to be expected when you have 3 guys from other teams playing their first games.

Just one of those games where the puck doesn't go in. Obviously, the timing for such a game couldn't have been much worse, but I didn't see this game as anything to worry about in the least. In fact, I rather liked how Marleau and Sheary looked. I was afraid they'd immediately stick Sheary back on Sid's line, which they obviously did. But after seeing him there I think he may actually be an upgrade over Simon.

I think we're going to see a ton of shuffling of the bottom two lines in the upcoming games. I'm not entirely sure how those chips are going to fall. I didn't see a whole lot of out of Rodrigues, but it is only one game.
I agree with this take. Johnson was terrible; not only inept in his own end, he kept fumbling and bumbling at the offensive blue line and center ice-- killed possession and entries. Top that off with missing a 2/3 open net with time and space = please bench me.

Orange is right about one thing: that early penalty call was hot garbage, and it might have cost the Pens a point or two.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:44 pm

That was a bad game against a very bad team. West coast game, new skaters, whatever. Trend is we are poor defensively in our own end. Zucker and Johnson both sucked on Lewis’ goal; that’s a trend I’m seeing right now. That’s bad team defense.

We are strapped with Marino and Dumo out, but when they are back you don’t think twice about really paring down Johnson’s time, and even sitting him. About 6 weeks ago (I think) I was impressed with how solid Johnson was playing. He’s now showing his age and his clumsiness. You need an off D-man like him paired with Letang because of Letang’s tendencies, but that has to be Dumo when he’s back.

Riikola is better than Johnson. I don’t think I can be convinced otherwise.

Been out scored 16-6 in losing our last 4, against one pretty good team, one very good team, and two pretty bad teams. We can’t blame every loss on “puck luck”; that’s an excuse teams make when they are either missing the playoffs or bounced out of the first round.

Marleau looked good. Fast feet for a 40 year old. Glad he’s here.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:44 pm
That was a bad game against a very bad team. West coast game, new skaters, whatever. Trend is we are poor defensively in our own end. Zucker and Johnson both sucked on Lewis’ goal; that’s a trend I’m seeing right now. That’s bad team defense.

We are strapped with Marino and Dumo out, but when they are back you don’t think twice about really paring down Johnson’s time, and even sitting him. About 6 weeks ago (I think) I was impressed with how solid Johnson was playing. He’s now showing his age and his clumsiness. You need an off D-man like him paired with Letang because of Letang’s tendencies, but that has to be Dumo when he’s back.

Riikola is better than Johnson. I don’t think I can be convinced otherwise.

Been out scored 16-6 in losing our last 4, against one pretty good team, one very good team, and two pretty bad teams. We can’t blame every loss on “puck luck”; that’s an excuse teams make when they are either missing the playoffs or bounced out of the first round.

Marleau looked good. Fast feet for a 40 year old. Glad he’s here.
I was going to chime in about that(bolded) and it is terrible trend.

I only could manage to stay up for the first period so I'm not up to date with how the game went. Of course I recorded the wrong channel so there is no rewatch tonight.

We should be able to put more than one puck behind a lousy Kings team.

You can get away with JJ when he is a third pairing, limited minutes going up against bottom six wingers.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 pm

Michaletti talked about it during the broadcast; Kings were playing a 1-3-1 “trap” that gave the Pens fits the first 20 minutes. Pens played better in the 2nd and 3rd, but really didn’t have many good-great scoring chances, which makes sense since I don’t remember a “wow” reaction from any of the Kings’ goalie’s saves. I guess something to pay attention to moving forward. Looked a bit like what the Islanders rolled out last season in the playoffs before sweeping us. Just doesn’t meld well with our zone entry and really neuters our attack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic