Pens v. Devils (3/10)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Orangesteel

Pens v. Devils (3/10)

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:41 pm

OK, I’ll give this one more crack before dishing off the game thread duties. Another non-playoff team that traded some of their best players.

LGP.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Interesting article..https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/3/9/2117 ... eni-malkin

Crosby line has generated chances but is not scoring. That won't last for long. When is the last time you saw Sid whiff on two easy open net goals in a four game stretch? Probably can count such on three fingers. The trend will turn and he will start scoring in bunches.

Malkin line hasn't been good defensively the past five games. I don't have to look at numbers to see that. Against Carolina Malkin, who won 60% of his FO's in the game lost twice in his own end and the puck ended up in the net on shots from the point. I don't know if that is a bad break or poor tending.
Rust has disappeared a lot during this bad streak. I know he had a hat trick but I'm talking in the defensive end.

Anyone else notice that Schultz took over the QB role on the top PP the past four games.?He is getting more time and shifts than Letang in that regard. I wonder why that is?

And Jack Johnson. He played so poorly in the first period of the Cane's game that benching him the rest of the game would have made sense. Well, Sullivan basically did that in the third. JJ got some shifts but they were very limited in the length of time.

I'm hoping they hit bottom. Other teams are playing 'playoff' type hockey, the kind the Pens were playing a month ago. That means being physical, getting on loose pucks and establishing a forecheck, three things the Pens of recent have not been doing.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Good stuff Fractal. I too think the at home asswhoopings hopefully lit a fire. Devils are not a good team. We need to come out firing and regain form.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:44 pm

E-Rod...aka The Mouth. What a shot.

Bigger takeaway from that period. How are we supposed to rely on Murray for a playoff run if he can’t make that routine stop on Gusev? That was really bad.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:10 am

Yeah, that was a terrible goal he let in. A 'WTF' kind of goal.

That said, the team looks much better. Support is there from the DZ through the neutral zone and getting pucks deep and getting on them. They forced Jersey into 12 TO's in the first.

Jack Hughes looks like he is 12 years old.

Oh yeah, Jugs is week to week. Why can't JJ get hurt?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:57 am

Thanks Letang

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 am

Pens played that 5 on 3 very well. They need to finish this game in a big way. Blackwood is very good.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 am

That’s how you finish!

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:53 pm

I think I know why they won last night.

I wasn't watching. I swear, in the last ten games, I've seen them win once. Watched them lose 6. 8-)
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 pm

How the fuck do they justify JJ getting as many minutes as Marino? Come on explain that one.

I like what I have seen from Rodrigues so far. Not especially skilled but he plays hard and the right way. He has also drawn a ton of penalties when in the lineup.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 pm
How the fuck do they justify JJ getting as many minutes as Marino? Come on explain that one.

I like what I have seen from Rodrigues so far. Not especially skilled but he plays hard and the right way. He has also drawn a ton of penalties when in the lineup.
This.

I’ve been very underwhelmed with Sheary. He looks like a worse player than he was 4 years ago.

Marleau has been pretty good. I like him on this team headed toward the post season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic