Any ILB prospects in the next draft

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
kev4heels

Re: Any ILB prospects in the next draft

Post by kev4heels » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:Simmons is a redshirt sophomore. I bet he stays in college.

Muse is also a very intriguing prospect IMO. Has deep safety experience that has honed his skills for 3 seasons. Is a student of the game with a higher football IQ and is able to read the backfield and get to the ball quickly. I think he's the answer for this defense defending the bigger TE's, WR's and RB's. Muse is listed at 6'2 225. I bet this guy ascends up the draft like a lightning strike.

He will get exposed in deep coverage as a Safety in the pros.
I would love to add 10 lbs and put him at the ILB position.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 pm

steelheels wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:Simmons is a redshirt sophomore. I bet he stays in college.

Muse is also a very intriguing prospect IMO. Has deep safety experience that has honed his skills for 3 seasons. Is a student of the game with a higher football IQ and is able to read the backfield and get to the ball quickly. I think he's the answer for this defense defending the bigger TE's, WR's and RB's. Muse is listed at 6'2 225. I bet this guy ascends up the draft like a lightning strike.

He will get exposed in deep coverage as a Safety in the pros.
I would love to add 10 lbs and put him at the ILB position.

I like Muse's smarts and toughness, but his athleticism cant touch Simmons'. Simmons is a team leader as well. I'm certainly not always right, but I think Simmons is going to blow up in a few years, in a good way.

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Devin White had meeting with Coach O earlier this week and was still undecided. If I'm being honest, I think he declares, but I also think his family is pushing him to do so whereas if it were completely up to him, he'd stay until senior year.

I'd love him to stay, but man, go get paid.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm

SteelKnife wrote:Devin White had meeting with Coach O earlier this week and was still undecided. If I'm being honest, I think he declares, but I also think his family is pushing him to do so whereas if it were completely up to him, he'd stay until senior year.

At the bare minimum, he goes 11th to the Bengals
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

jebrick wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:Devin White had meeting with Coach O earlier this week and was still undecided. If I'm being honest, I think he declares, but I also think his family is pushing him to do so whereas if it were completely up to him, he'd stay until senior year.

At the bare minimum, he goes 11th to the Bengals

I’ve seen mocks that have him in the top 5...as high as second.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Those mocks are crazy. I have seen him as low as 29 which is equally stupid. He is a top 15 pick. If Mack comes out, he is a top 25 pick. But the Steeelr will sit and someone will trade in front of them to get Mack.

If White falls past the Bengals I think the Steelers are on the phones trying to move up. 20 to 10 is expensive for someone that is not a big game changer. White is good but there are not many players in this draft I give up multiple picks to move up. moving to 10 would be a 1st and a 3rd plus something else. Moving to 15 might be a 1st and a 4th or less.

- Fred Sanford

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Mack wilson changed his mind and declared

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:03 am

SteelKnife wrote:Mack wilson changed his mind and declared

Not sure if I am happy or not. I will be happy if they snag him. I will still predict that the Steelers will sit and someone will move ahead of them and get Wilson. The reason why is everyone and their brother know the Steelers want an ILB. Tried to draft one last year and will try again this year.

- Fred Sanford

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 am

I’d rather take Pratt, or Joseph in the 2nd than Mack in the first.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am

White has not declared yet so Wilson may be top. I like Pratt as well.

- Fred Sanford

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Not my comments but from another amateur draftnik talking about the fit for the Steelers.

Josh Allen Kentucky - top 5 pick

Germaine Pratt NC State - Is more of a OLB I feel but has the size and athletic ability they would want, is more of a 2nd rounder but will see

Tre Lamar Clemson - Could be of interest but more in the 2nd or 3rd round, big strong athlete but might not have the speed they really need.

Gary Johnson Texas - Would be a great pickup, speedy linebacker but not sure he could play ILB. Is great in open space and is the type of athlete they would want.

Chase Hansen Utah - Is not really a ILB guy but this former safety showed a lot at OLB I feel, is great in space and a fine athlete so could be of interest.

Justin Hollins Oregon - Big long lean athlete, not sure he is a fit, is more of a 3/4 OLB but could maybe do a number of things in terms of versatility.

David Long Jr West Virginia - Not really a ILB but has great athletic ability and can get into the backfield easily, might be of interest as an quick athlete.

Sutton Smith Northern Illinois - Love him but not sure he could play ILB, has special pass rush ability and a great motor could maybe be a slightly undersized 3/4 OLB as well

Sione Takitaki BYU - Love his athletic ability and does have 3/4 OLB pass rush skills as well, was that before moving to ILB this year, is more of a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Cameron Smith USC - Very consistent and underrated athlete, not sure he is a great fit but could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

Te'von Coney Notre Dame - Good athletic ability for sure and is an option in the late 2nd to 3rd round possibly.

Vosean Joseph Florida - Big time athlete who is active in the backfield, just not sure he is strong enough to be of interest for the Steelers at ILB, is thin.

Ben Burr-Kirven Washington - Undersized big time and more of a OLB in a 4/3 but who knows they might look at him in terms of being an athlete

Blake Cashman Minnesota - Love his production this year, has potential as a 3/4 ILB or could play OLB easily in a 4/3, would be a great mid round value.

Bobby Okereke Stanford - Long lengthy athlete, a little underachieving in college but has a lot of upside, mid round potential.

Deshaun Davis Auburn - Really like his athletic ability and could be a good value in the middle rounds, need protection but is a big hitter despite being a smaller ILB

Tyrel Dodson Texas A&M - Has tons of upside and potential for his size, big backer who could be a good one down the road.

Anthony Wheeler Texas - Underrated and has the size and speed but at times needs to be more physical.

Ryan Connelly Wisconsin - Smart and tough ILB who is a consistent tackler, might not have the athletic ability they are looking for though.

Jordan Kunaszyk Cal - Just on pure effort alone he is interesting and should be a good mid to late round pickup.

Terez Hall Missouri - Is not the most consistent guy but has 3/4 OLB pass rush skills and is a big hitter as well, could be a late round guy maybe.
Last edited by jebrick on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

LSU junior LB Devin White declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

A massive gain for the NFL Draft is a big loss for the LSU defense. White is universally ranked as one of the top linebackers -- non edge-rusher edition -- and many have gone so far to call him the top defensive player in this class. He posted 115 tackles, three sacks, and five passes defended. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound linebacker is a lock for the first round, and assuming he tests well at the combine, it's very possible he's a top five-to-ten selection.
Source: Devin White on Twitter Jan 14 - 11:33 AM
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

White just declared. I'm sad, but the right decision.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm

So ILB would be Allen ( top 5), White (top 15), and Mack ( top 25??)

I am just not sure he is a cover LB that they need. If they draft Mack, perhaps the ILBs become Mack and Fort.

- Fred Sanford

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Fort was a close example of the type of ILB they prefer. Fort is 28 and a FA. They just paid VWill recently I think they're looking for that speedster/joystick ILB that resembles what Shazier was producing. I don't think Wilson is the answer there. Perhaps White is? Maybe they just "find" a FA this offseason? Pratt doesn't offer what they're looking for either unless they want to replace VWill. Then they might as well draft Wilson. VWill is still under a decent contract though. I guess VWill is easily replaced?
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 am

Lot of scouts talking to players so that’s rarely a big deal, but #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert personally went over to McNeese State LB B.J. Blunt and chatted with him for awhile. 2 good practices for Blunt
— Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) January 15, 2019

B.J. Blunt the former safety converted to linebacker is a machine for McNeese State. The 6010 linebacker hits like a 6040 linebacker and he has good coverage ability. He is a little stiff, and will need to add a few pounds to play linebacker at the next level but this kid is a gamer who is always around the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekQtL2A9xg
Last edited by jebrick on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Fred Sanford

FC

Post by FC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCY5ORqdH0[/youtube]

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 pm

NC State LB Germaine Pratt was clocked at 20.4 mph at one point during Reese's Senior Bowl practices on Thursday.
Remarkably, Pratt posted the top speed of any player on the North team on Thursday, bettering skill-position talents such as Tony Pollard (20.1 mph) and Terry McLaurin (19.6 mph). The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder most notably showed off the jets in tracking down a streaking Dexter Williams at one point during practice. In a linebacking class which is somewhat top-heavy with the likes of Devin White, Devin Bush and Mack Wilson, Pratt makes for an intriguing Day 2 or early Day 3 selection. Especially if he can ace the remainder of the evaluating process. Testing is going to be key for him. Good to see evidence of raw speed on display early, though The Draft Network's Joe Marino cautioned in previewing the Senior Bowl that Pratt's "movement skills are modest" and that he is "tight in the lower half, which limits his range/burst."
Source: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 am

Drew Lock is obviously not a linebacker but kid
Has a great personality. Watching dvr of senior bowl practice kid handling Jeremiah’s dumb ass questions with humor. Just a likable dude that I hope ends up in a good situation

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Pratt was already a top 100 guy IMO but after that performance he just made himself so duckets. If he continues to test well at the combine/pro day he could find himself top 50 discussion. I'm also interested in the kid from Maryland. Tre Watson. Anyone with any insight, perhaps a Maryland fan/alum?
Some breakdown here...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/ ... re-watson/
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 am

Steelafan77 wrote:Pratt was already a top 100 guy IMO but after that performance he just made himself so duckets. If he continues to test well at the combine/pro day he could find himself top 50 discussion. I'm also interested in the kid from Maryland. Tre Watson. Anyone with any insight, perhaps a Maryland fan/alum?
Some breakdown here...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/ ... re-watson/

I think he will be a good player but I think he is being overhyped a little bit. He plays tall and is a little stiff, I don't see the ability to be one of the better coverage LBs in this class. I think he's a way more athletic Vince Williams.....which is a start, but I still think we need to find a better coverage LB. I see a really good chase and tackle LB who has a chance at developing into a decent coverage guy.

Bottom line, I think he makes the Steelers better and I'd spend a 2nd round pick on him if he's available at 50.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 am

Watching him [Pratt] today in the senior bowl I found myself not impressed. There were some other prospects that looked the part though.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:47 am

One guy who I'm very interested in now is David Long, the LB from West Virginia. He's an explosive player and does a good job getting to the ball carrier. Also looks comfortable in coverage. Not the biggest guy at 5'11" 230lbs but I like what he brings to the table.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:41 pm

The Senior Bowl had some 'other' players IMO that stood out...

Daylon Mack DT
Charles Omenihu DE

I think S Adderley has made himself some money.

OLine Chris Lindstrom and Dalton Risner blocked well. Running game stood out.
OLine Elgton Jenkins and Tytus Howard/Andre Dillard held up to the hype.

LJ Collier somewhat of a tweener DE/OLB.... Not sure what to make of him. Solid though.

Terrill Hanks Raw. OLB/ILB? Solid

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm

@FC - you said you did not trust D. Bush becasue he has less than 50 solo tackes throughout his career with Michigan. Does that also go for Mack Wilson who has even less solo tackles than Bush in any year?

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic