Supplemental draft; Jalen Thompson S Wash st

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

Supplemental draft; Jalen Thompson S Wash st

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:53 am

Washington State S Jalen Thompson lost his final season of college eligibility because he purchased a banned supplement.
The Spokesman Review's Theo Lawson reports it was not a steroid, but it was a supplement that is a violation of NCAA rules. Ironically, the supplement made Thompson (6'0/191) enter the NFL's Supplemental Draft, where all teams will have interest. Considered a Day 2 prospect, Thompson offers talent and versatility as a high-end slot corner and safety. Expect Thompson to be drafted despite this violation. He's working out for teams on July 8.

SOURCE: Theo Lawson on Twitte

Anybody like this kid? Not like safety a position of strength

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:27 am

Don't know anything about this kid except what I just read after a brief google search.

"A Bednarik Award watch list candidate in 2018, Thompson started all three seasons at safety at Washington State. Across 39 games, he tallied 191 total tackles, 23 passes defensed, six interceptions and two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries."

There hasn't been a specific date set for this year's supplemental draft, but it is typically held in July. I wonder what teams would be willing to give up for him. It was speculated in one article I read he was a solid day two candidate if he elected to go pro this season in the April draft. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... nterested/
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 am

After watching a few games, the most I would give up for Thompson might be a 5th round pick. I think next year safety class has multiple prospects that could be good fits for the Steelers. I think it would’ve been very beneficial for Thompson to have his senior year, because I believe he needed to show more to end up being a top 100 pack. I do think he has the necessary athleticism to be a good safety in the NFL. He shows very good against the run and can bring the hammer when tackling. Needs to improve in coverage but has the range/burst to make plays, does a good job of playing the downhill safety role. I think he tends to struggle when he has to turn and cover on deeper routes. I think it’s harder how to project him for NFL because he could really have used his senior year to boost his stock.

EDIT: I definitely think he could be a player who would dress for his special teams ability on coverages. That’s something that could entice the Steelers, but my guess is that they’ll stick with what they have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic