A Tale of Two Cities

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

A Tale of Two Cities

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 am

Kansas City, Missouri.

Houston, Texas

Two vastly different NFL cities, but for the purposes of this narrative they share one key commonality.

Kansas City is home to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs.
A model franchise in today’s modern NFL, the Chiefs appear poised to repeat.

Houston is home to the 4-12 Texans.
A dysfunctional franchise, the Texans appear poised to spend their offseason dealing with a disgruntled star quarterback.

So what’s the commonality?
In 2017 the Chiefs traded up 17(!) spots from pick 27 with the Buffalo Bills acquiring the 10th overall pick in the draft. The Bills also received the Chiefs 3rd round pick and the Chiefs 1st round pick an 2018. A 2017 3rd and 2018 1st got them the best quarterback on the planet, Pat Mahomes.
Also in 2017, the Houston Texans made a trade. They traded up from pick 25 with the Cleveland Browns for pick 12 giving up only their 2018 1st round pick to do so. A 2018 1st round pick got the Texans a top 4 NFL quarterback in DeShaun Watson.

Kansas City and Houston.
Two cities whose NFL teams made the overwhelmingly correct decision to trade up for their young, athletic, star, franchise quarterbacks.
Two cities with two NFL teams trending in opposite directions, but both can take stock in knowing their decision to trade up was the correct one.

Now, a case can be made for there being a Tale of Two Posters.
There’s the poster that believes Ben still has more good years ahead of him.
These posters thrive on the crutch of excuses always exonerating Ben from any wrong doing putting him up on an infallible pedestal.
“Ben is playing hurt, The OC is terrible (ok I buy that one), the OL is weak, the receivers drop too many balls, Covid ruined our bye week”.
The list of excuses is nauseating and endless and is starting to ruin my own previously positive perceptions of Ben and his legacy.

Then there’s the poster who has seen enough of this narrative (namely me).
The all-in for Ben narrative that has gone on for far too long.
“Keep loading up for Ben!” "More Weapons for Ben!" “bring in Matt Canada’s motion offense for Ben”, “one last hooray for Ben!”
Newsflash.
The Tomlin and Ben narrative is stale. It hasn’t worked in over a decade.
The win a 7th Lombardi with Ben narrative hopefully dies this offseason, whether with that 7th Lombardi securely locked in a closet at Heinz Field or more likely through the realization that Tomlin and Ben failed in their decade long quest.
Either way, the end of an era is upon us.

What happens next?
Hell if I know. I’m a teacher not a prognosticator.
I do know what I want to happen.
First and foremost I want the clinging to Ben by both fans and the Steelers’ organization to stop.
Life will go on without him I know it in my heart.

Yes I have hope.
I have a Tale of Two Cities, A Tale of Two Posters, and now I offer you a Tale of Two Trades, specifically two recent Steelers’ trades.
The first trade was a whiff in my book, but I take solace in the fact that at least an attempt to fortify a position of weakness was made.
Trading with the Broncos for pick 10, the Steelers moved up from pick 20 for a 2nd round pick and a 2020 3rd round pick.
Ouch.
Pretty steep to go up ten spots for what so far has been a disappointing investment in Devin Bush.
Despite his tackling woes, the 2019 trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick is clearly a winner.

So long post short, the Chiefs moved up 17 spots, the Texans 13 spots, and the Steelers 10 spots for players they coveted.
Clearly trading for two of the top three young qbs in football is borderline genius, while trading up for a mediocre middle linebacker is at best questionable.
But what it shows me is the Steelers are willing to try.
If you’re willing to trade up for a middle linebacker you sure as shit are willing to trade up for your next franchise quarterback.

I for one can’t wait 25 years for our next franchise quarterback.
I’ll be pissing in diapers by then.
Bradshaw to Ben to ? Must have some urgency to it and a clear plan of action.

1T) Trey Lance 6’4 226 QB North Dakota St- Bradshaw to Ben to Trey? An uber athletic, rocket armed, ankle breaking, tackle breaking, highly marketable big play artist that perfectly fits my successor criteria. If…BIG If… Trey slides into the teens I’m pulling the trade trigger. The previously mentioned Mahomes deal would be my comparable cost. A 3rd round pick this year and next year’s #1. So ok. Assuming the Steelers aren’t picking 32nd, l think it’s doable. Yes losing next year’s #1 will sting, but look how well the Steelers drafted this year without one. Anyway, Successor secured. Ben plays out the last year of his contract while this raw rookie phenom learns the ropes.

2.) Alex Leatherwood 6’6 310 OT Alabama- Ben’s blindside protected next year. Trey’s blindside protected the next ten years after that.

4.) Kenneth Gainwell 5’11 195 RB Memphis- Big play on a stick right here. Versatile weapon in the Miles Sanders/Aaron Jones vain. While teammate Antonio Gibson was the object of SteelerFury draftniks affections, it was Gainwell that was averaging an incredible 27.3 yards for each one of his 13 touchdowns.

4C) Dynami Brown 6’1 195 WR North Carolina- Can Mac Brown turn around a program or can Mac Brown turn around a program? Dude has now done it TWICE at Chapel Hill. Very impressive to me. So Dynami Brown (presumably no relation to Mac) annoyed me as all college kids do when they opt out of bowl games, but I’ve seen enough to know a home run hitter when I see one. Juju can run his mouth and not back it up on some other teams’ field next year.

6.) Tyreke Smith 6’4 267 EDGE Ohio St- Has that big-time Buckeye recruit pedigree that will certainly appeal to Tom-bert this draft season. He and fellow end Jonathan Cooper showed up big time against Clemson causing chaos and mayhem in the backfield. The Steelers could use some good news on the salary cap front. Keeping Bud Dupree and the defense largely intact would be a boon to this team’s chances of competing in the future, without sacrificing the present.

6C) Michal Menet 6’4 306 OC Penn St- One of the few bright spots in a down year over in Happy Valley. Team Captain type that brings that old school, blue collar work ethic to the OL.

7.) Cordell Volson 6’6 315 OT North Dakota St- More than just a day 3 dart throw at a quality RT prospect. I don’t want Trey Lance to get lonely during his year on the bench.

7C) Matt Bushman 6’5 250 TE BYU- Would’ve been a star playing with stud qb Zach Wison, but alas he blew out his achilles instead.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. With a little help from the salary cap Gods I really do think it’s possible to trade up for the qb of the future while still competing for Super Bowls in the present player wise anyway. Coaching? That’s another thread. it's been a tale of two seasons for our beloved Steelers. Hopefully they play more like they did the first half of the season and find a way past the Browns. Go Steelers.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:47 am

I actually like the draft, although I’d rather trade up for Wilson I think. It’s early in the process.

P.S.: I don’t have to make any excuses for Ben—the dude just went 12-3 and had a career high in TDs. He also led or nearly led the league in DPI calls and yardage... I think there’s a couple of playoff runs left if you play it right.

Anyway, your draft deals with some of the biggest issues that would have to be dealt with, so it could work.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:29 am

I’m a Wilson fan as well B2B but he looks like a top 5 pick to me.
Too far to trade up.

That left me with Fields and Lance.
With Lance only playing one game this year and Fields impressing against Clemson I decided Lance would be qb4 and best chance to fall out of top ten picks.

Being a Bama guy I really like Mac Jones
Off the charts elite intangibles
Probably wouldn’t have to trade up to get him
But I really want a highly marketable duel threat talent to succeed Ben.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 am

I like Wilson as well, but agreed that he looks like a top 5 pick to me too. I'd take that draft Drama, nice work.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Really like Lance. I'd take this draft just for that, though, honestly, if you hit on the QB, it's a win regardless. Leatherwood at the 24th pick in the 2nd? Would be a godsend.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm

I think Lance goes in the top 10 but he might, like Big Ben, fall due to LOC.

I have been trying to look at Mac Jones. I like his accuracy but the huge difference in talent between Bama and others makes it tricky to decide on his decision making,
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Strange coming from a dyed in the wool tOSU fan, but I really don't like the idea of QB prospects from powerhouse college programs. This is a pretty long held opinion recently (last couple of years) seconded by some national media types.

Don't face much real adversity, always have wide open receivers, clean pockets, strong defense, good OL and running game... I'm not saying no to Trevor Lawrence, but I'm definitely saying caveat emptor on Mac Jones.

Look at where NFL starting and playoff caliber QBs tend to come from. I don't think it's off base. I'm not in love with the Ridder kid from Cincy yet, but I'd feel more comfortable with him in two years than Mac Jones or Kyle Trask this draft.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm

I’m a Mac Jones fan.

Biased because the people I go to ‘Bama games with are friends with Mac’s parents but more because I’m impressed by his elite Intangibles, work ethic, and character.

Saban clearly thinks the world of Jones and this particular ‘Bama team as a whole.

I can’t remember ‘ol Nick actually enjoying a team and a season as he has this one…during a pandemic no less.

To your point Ice, coming from an elite program like Alabama, Mac will need help with elite weapons, protection, and scheme, but I think he CAN be a solid NFL qb.

However, I’ve posted many times that I want the next great Steelers qb to be like this next generation of quarterback.
Flashy, Highly athletic and extremely mobile, rocket arm, highly marketable type.
Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson types that obviously don’t grow on trees, but doesn’t mean theyre not unattainable.
The way the Steelers operate, might have to exercise some patience...hopefully not 25 years worth

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:13 am

The problem is, if you're going top 10, or heck, maybe even top 20, you're not going to have the combination necessary to make it happen. Fields and Lawrence, despite dynamic skillsets, are going to have to overcome a good bit of adversity in their first two or three years, for the first time in their careers, if not their lives.

I think, of the possible QB picks that MIGHT be available, or in range, when the Steelers pick, Lance is gonna be my guy. He's got talent in spades, teams may get enamored with the numbers and highlights on Jones, Trask, etc., so it could happen.

Do the Steelers have the ability to get a staff around him to make him successful? The million dollar question.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:15 am

Bump... as y’all say
Take a chance
Go get Trey Lance
Fantastic pro day
I am thoroughly interested in this kid

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:26 am

I'd take it except for Leatherwood in the second.
Give me Meinerz, Radunz. or Carman Jackson with the 2nd round pick.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:37 am

cop1211 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:26 am
I'd take it except for Leatherwood in the second.
Give me Meinerz, Radunz. or Carman Jackson with the 2nd round pick.
Oh no Mr. Cop
I’m only bumping Trey Lance
Kid is my favorite QB in the draft and it’s not close
The rest of the mock is meh

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Strange coming from a dyed in the wool tOSU fan, but I really don't like the idea of QB prospects from powerhouse college programs. This is a pretty long held opinion recently (last couple of years) seconded by some national media types.

Don't face much real adversity, always have wide open receivers, clean pockets, strong defense, good OL and running game... I'm not saying no to Trevor Lawrence, but I'm definitely saying caveat emptor on Mac Jones.

Look at where NFL starting and playoff caliber QBs tend to come from. I don't think it's off base. I'm not in love with the Ridder kid from Cincy yet, but I'd feel more comfortable with him in two years than Mac Jones or Kyle Trask this draft.
Just to add, North Dakota State is if anything at least as powerhousy as Alabama for the purpose of making everything come easy for their QB. Once you take bama/clemson/tosu/north dakota st off your board, the QB class looks pretty different.

SteelWIll

Post by SteelWIll » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 pm

lots of Ohio State QBs have been drafted over the last few years...all in the mold of J. Fields---none of them have had very good NFL careers to date...so, why is Fields gonna be any different...If Lance falls, that would be the pick of the two IMO...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:11 pm

SteelWIll wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 pm
lots of Ohio State QBs have been drafted over the last few years...all in the mold of J. Fields---none of them have had very good NFL careers to date...so, why is Fields gonna be any different...If Lance falls, that would be the pick of the two IMO...
Sorry Will, but if you think Justin Fields is in the same “mold” as JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, etc., I don’t know what to tell you. Now I’m not going sit here and say he’s a sure fire NFL elite QB, but he certainly has a more complete skill set than his Buckeye predecessors.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 pm

If Fields is an Ohio State QB, so is Joe Burrow.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:02 pm

Ice wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 pm
that’s fine to say, as long as you objectively assess both on the stats and game tape they produced when each was QB somewhere other than Ohio State.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Lance needs time to learn his mechanics. His accuracy sucks for an NFL QB. Arm strength and decision making are there but not the accuracy. I do think he falls into the range that Ben went in 2004.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:02 pm
Ice wrote:
that’s fine to say, as long as you objectively assess both on the stats and game tape they produced when each was QB somewhere other than Ohio State.
Both looked extremely good throwing to wide open targets. Burrow only did it for one year, though, not two.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Ice wrote:
Burrow transferred to LSU because he couldn’t beat out Dwayne Haskins...just saying. :mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:31 pm

I keep wondering if the Steelers think they have a lottery ticket there.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Ice wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 pm
Mick wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:02 pm
Ice wrote:
Both looked extremely good throwing to wide open targets. Burrow only did it for one year, though, not two.
Burrow played two years not at Ohio State vs one for Fields...I’m not sure what you mean?

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Burrow had one year of high level production at LSU. His first year was wholly unremarkable. Fields had two outstanding years at Ohio State. Fields has a longer track record of high level production than Burrow did, with the same two years of high level talent surrounding them.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Ice wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:31 pm
I keep wondering if the Steelers think they have a lottery ticket there.
Im sure they do. Jackpot was 100 million. That ticket probably pays $5 :lol:
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Indeed the strong possibility. Buying lottery tickets is one thing, confusing them with cash is another.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Ice wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:41 pm
Burrow had one year of high level production at LSU. His first year was wholly unremarkable. Fields had two outstanding years at Ohio State. Fields has a longer track record of high level production than Burrow did, with the same two years of high level talent surrounding them.
LSU and tOSU are not comparable programs. Ohio State is 36-5 over their last three seasons without Fields. LSU is 22-13 in their last three seasons without Burrow; even winning the championship, their D was still basically an average unit.

Fields did have a better second-to-last season than Burrow, but that’s not a big argument in Fields favor. Showing significant improvement in your last season vs. second to last is a big positive indicator for QB prospects. Roethlisberger, Rivers, Brady showed big improvement going into their last seasons. Mahomes was great in his second to last, but still managed to improve. Where tons of QBs had great second to last seasons and basically repeated it as seniors, showing clear plateauing before busting as a 1st round pick NFL qb. Fields...if anything, took a step back last season, struggling in four of his last nine starts. That’s not a good sign.

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 pm

LSU definitely has comparable talent to Ohio State, except at QB. You just saw what they could do with one who couldn't make the starting lineup at tOSU.

As for Fields' 2020 campaign, higher completion percentage and YPA with no non-conference cupcakes to pad stats with isn't too shabby overall. The performances against Clemson and Bama were both pretty strong. If that's regression, I'll take it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic