10 hits and 10 busts

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
tbsteel

10 hits and 10 busts

Post by tbsteel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:20 am

Can be first, second, or third day guys, but here's 10 players I see succeeding in the NFL and 10 I'm leaning towards busting. Let's get a little controversial...

Hits:

1. Zaven Collins, LB - Not a special athlete, but does everything
2. Wyatt Davis, G - G only, love his pop and how he battles
3. Osa Odighizuwa, DL - Super strong, worry about the right fit, but solid player, former wrestler
4. Jamar Johnson, S - Not an elite athlete, but great vision, smarts, instincts, gonna be solid
5. Jaelon Darden, WR - Reminds me of a shifty Desean Jackson
6. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL - Just can't see him failing
7. Tommy Togiai, DL - Run stuffing Samoan
8. Jaycee Horn, CB - Stud
9. Tay Gowan, CB - Good length and skills, flashed with limited PT
10. Richie Grant, S - Long safety, great instincts, sudden

Busts:

1. Greg Rousseau, EDGE - Too raw
2. Kenny Yeboah, TE - Too stiff and weak, struggle seeing a successful NFL comp
3. Nick Bolton, LB - Just don't see him as anything more than a downhill free runner
4. Kyle Trask, QB - Folds under pressure
5. James Hudson, OL - Can't maintain weight distribution/balance
6. Quinn Meinerz, OL - Shocker! Didn't like him. Sloppy, barely wins, top heavy
7. Pat Freiermuth, TE - Plays like Heath Miller... the 2015 version
8. Hunter Long, TE - Slower than frozen shit
9. Marvin Wilson, DT - Takes doubles but doesn't fight, doesn't anchor, not explosive
10. Jalen Mayfield, OL - Can't stay on blocks

Tiny hands, smaller heart.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:50 am

Not sure about Hudson, incomplete on Meinerz, but the rest I pretty much agree with 100%
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Good thread.

Agree with:

Zaven Collins – it may take a ‘season’s plus’ worth of games to transition his skills, but he looks to have a knack for turnovers
Tommy Togiai – it's always just highlights on videos, but you have to be inspired by the highs of his potential
Marvin Wilson – his play reminds me a be a bit of a runaway train. Impressive destructive capabilities, but a risk to build a plan centered on controlling that force

Here are a couple who appear to have too much steam at the moment from my perspective:

Trey Lance – Is he really going to run like he is Lamar Jackson at the next level? If not, for discussion’s sake, why isn’t he closer to Akili Smith 2.0 than a legitimate Rd. 1 pick?

I’d be enthusiastic about his development and future in SF (maybe Pit too?). But if the Jets pass on Wilson @ #2, and the Niners score the BYU QB, then Lance could fall out of Rd. 1 all the way to the Jets in Rd. 2 in my opinion – or beyond.

Javonte Williams – Potentially another controversial take … He may be built like Frank Gore or Emmitt Smith, but that doesn’t mean he will hold up physically like those guys.

His tackle breaking ability is 2nd to none in this RB class, and it impresses on tape almost as much as Harris’ stature, and maybe even moreso than Etienne’s speed. But with no proven durability for such a physical runner, I couldn’t bet on him in Rd. 1.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm

Great post, Penny.

After his meh testing, I’m backing down a little bit from Javonte Williams. Still think he’ll be solid player but if they go after a top RB I’d prefer Harris or Etienne.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm

I will do my controversial take on Azeez Ojulari. I think he will be a bust unless he is drafted as a 4-3 OLB or a 9 tech edge.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:58 pm

jebrick wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm
I will do my controversial take on Azeez Ojulari. I think he will be a bust unless he is drafted as a 4-3 OLB or a 9 tech edge.
I'm not a fan either. Think most of the higher edge guys will disappoint.

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Etienne will be a bust. Just don't see it translating. Freiermuth is going to be Maxx Williams 2.0... and they could be Steelers rounds 1 and 2.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:06 am

jebrick wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm
Exactamundo

And I wouldn't draft Kwitty Paye for a 3-4 OLB slot. Not on the first two days of the draft. 1.66 10yd, no SS or 3c, poor explosion numbers. High 1st round? NFW.

The EDGE I approve so far:

Joseph Ossai
Rashad Weaver
Milton Williams... learning a new position
Jason Oweh... learning how to play football

In a way, I think Milton Williams would be fun. Getting him out on the edge would be like a revelation for him. He's spent most of his college career banging on Gs and being double-teamed inside.

Otherwise, they either didn't work out because of injury or worked out at numbers that give them very little chance to be a dominant 3-4 OLB.

Maybes:
Andre Mintze (Cliff Avril type first step... good player)
Patrick Johnson
... both qualify based on numbers but not clearly on tape I'd draft Johnson in the 4th no problem

Jaelan Phillips is going to be great... as a 4-3 DE or Jack LB.

Close:
Darius Hodge
Wyatt Hubert
Jonathan Cooper
Romeo McKnight
Elerson Smith

4th round or later for these guys but they might work as Highsmith types.

Not into Ronnie Perkins or Patrick Jones or Tryon or most of the rest of the "top 100" type EDGE guys this year. I think it's a pretty weak class for 3-4 EDGE types.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm

Drama made me look at Williams Bradley-King from Baylor and I like him as a 4th round EDGE player.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Yeah after day 2, WBK, Ellerson Smith, the kid from Adams State whose name escapes me, Jordan Smith, mintze

Stillenigma

Post by Stillenigma » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Here are mine:

Hits:

1. Jaycee Horn, CB - safest bet to be an All Pro in the draft
2. Wyatt Davis, G - agree with you here, best pure G in the draft if he stays healthy
3. Javonte Williams - best RB in the draft
4. Spencer Brown OT - with his measurables if he doesn't succeed its 100% mental
5. Jaelon Darden, WR - agree with you here
6. Rashawn Slater anywhere on Oline - IMO along with Pitts and Horn best overall players in the draft
7. Derrick Barnes, LB - most instinctive and best run playing LB on tape, and not bad in zone coverage.
8. Asante Samuel, CB - very twitchy and smart. At worst an elite slot CB, but I think he can be a lot more.
9. Christian Darrisaw, OT - this one has a little more risk than others, but I believe in his ceiling
10. Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State - won't be an elite player, but should outperform his draft position and be a solid starter for a while.

Busts:

1. Anthony Swartz - just not very good. At best a poor man's Mike Wallace and I don't think he's tough enough.
2. Nick Bolton, LB - agree with your thoughts
3. Kyle Trask, QB - agree with your thoughts, doesn't have a super high ceiling either
4. Tommy Togiai, DL - disagree with you here, I think his arms are too short. He'll be fine vs. the run but won't be a guy you ever notice.
5. Jackson Carman, OL - just don't see him as an NFL starter, too sloopy and inconsistent
6. Jaelan Phillips, DE - one year of elite production. How much does he like football? Back issues like Jarvis Jones? Great athlete, just don't see a lasting NFL career here.
7. Gregory Rosseau, DE - I liked him more before his veyr iffy measurables. He gets a big ding for not playing this season from me. Had a lot to prove.
8. Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington - how is this guy a borderline first round pick? He looks like LT Walton to me, JAG.
9. Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa - I could be wrong on this one as he's very talented, but not a great motor. Don't see him putting it together.
10. Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue - fantastic athlete, but needs the right coach/system to succeed and protect against injury. Will be 100% about usage and I bet a bad team drafts him high in second round.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Nice work, enigma.

Only big disagreement is Daviyon Nix. Had a short list of players I really dug watching the Youtube game tape and Nix was near the top of the list... really stood out compared to the rest of the DL guys out there. But a DL not having a great motor can be a huge negative, so it'll be interesting to see how he turns out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic