Why James Franklin Sucks…The Little Things

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
jeemie

Why James Franklin Sucks…The Little Things

Post by jeemie » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Penn State stops Michigan on third down with 31 seconds left. Everyone knows Michigan is going try and run the clock down to kick a FG with a few ticks left. But Penn State has two timeouts left, so I start to call for James Franklin to call timeout. Why? So there will still be time on the clock on the ensuing kickoff. This game has turned on two big plays, so who knows what might happen if there are 25-30 seconds left?

Franklin of course doesn’t call one.

Then Michigan lines up on 4th down. Odds are they are trying to draw Penn State offsides but maybe they call a play. Either way, Franklin now NEEDS to call a timeout here to avoid a possible mistake.

Nope…he STILL doesn’t call one.

Now it “worked out” because nothing bad happened and Michigan ended up just kicking a FG, but Franklin absolutely did not optimize his team’s chances right there. The clock ran down to two seconds, the kickoff was blasted into the end zone, and Franklin called for the kneel down to end the half.

And he does this shit all the time. Like Mike Tomlin, he constantly sub-optimizes because he doesn’t have a handle on the little details.

“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm

Now of course he keeps forcing the run.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:17 pm

Boy did it turn out not to matter because Penn State’s defense never stopped Michigan all game long.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 pm

jeemie wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm
Penn State stops Michigan on third down with 31 seconds left. Everyone knows Michigan is going try and run the clock down to kick a FG with a few ticks left. But Penn State has two timeouts left, so I start to call for James Franklin to call timeout. Why? So there will still be time on the clock on the ensuing kickoff. This game has turned on two big plays, so who knows what might happen if there are 25-30 seconds left?

Franklin of course doesn’t call one.

Then Michigan lines up on 4th down. Odds are they are trying to draw Penn State offsides but maybe they call a play. Either way, Franklin now NEEDS to call a timeout here to avoid a possible mistake.

Nope…he STILL doesn’t call one.

Now it “worked out” because nothing bad happened and Michigan ended up just kicking a FG, but Franklin absolutely did not optimize his team’s chances right there. The clock ran down to two seconds, the kickoff was blasted into the end zone, and Franklin called for the kneel down to end the half.

And he does this shit all the time. Like Mike Tomlin, he constantly sub-optimizes because he doesn’t have a handle on the little details.
I was having the same reaction while this was running down. He has his mind made up before the last minute and wouldn't consider giving his team a slim shot at best but that is what the best coaches do.

I'm sick of the locals who love Franklin. He can do no wrong in their eyes. When I pointed out that he was 11-11 the previous two years and called him mediocre on another board I got a ton of flak. All they could do, collectively was bring up the 11 win seasons and the Big Ten championship. When I pointed out that he only really came close to making the playoffs ONCE, the consensus was that it was coming.
Yeah right.
11-11.

Of course with the fast start this year even though they should have lost to Purdue and got lucky against N. Western they were back talking about making the playoffs this year.
Then Michigan happened.
Kind of quiet right now-the Franklin army that is.

To top it off the athletic department got played when Franklin leaked leaving PSU for another school. They panicked and gave a mediocre HC ridiculous amounts of money.

The loyalists talk about how PSU hung with OSU last year and had a chance to win due to Franklin's coaching yet they conveniently forgot that Franklin had no backup QB ready to play n the loss to Iowa. A game they could have won had Franklin made sure he had someone that was ready to go in when the starter got hurt.

Minnesota is coming to Beaver stadium this week and they are going to run it down the Lion's throat. I can see another loss there. Sure, they will be up for OSU but I expect OSU to win going away.

5-3 and the loyalists won't put any blame on Franklin.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:14 pm

2-19 vs top ten teams and dude got a massive extension?
Go
Buckeyes
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic