Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Ice

Re: Centers

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm
Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:46 pm
Andre James from Oakland still available?
Nope

Re-signed yesterday with the Raiduhs

The FA market for centers is pretty dried up

Mitch Morse the only center I even read they took a meetin with
Alright, draft pick it is. Was closet rooting for James, not only because he's better than Cole (I mean, what object isn't?), because a buddy I catch at least a couple of games a year with is named... Andre James.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:01 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm
Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:46 pm
Andre James from Oakland still available?
Nope

Re-signed yesterday with the Raiduhs

The FA market for centers is pretty dried up

Mitch Morse the only center I even read they took a meetin with
Alright, draft pick it is. Was closet rooting for James, not only because he's better than Cole (I mean, what object isn't?), because a buddy I catch at least a couple of games a year with is named... Andre James.
Sounds like the same logic the Steelers use when drafting! :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 pm

Unfortunately, not a North Catholic grad.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 pm
Unfortunately, not a North Catholic grad.
Is he from Maryland/DC/Virginia? :mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm

He's a Commanders fan, does that count?

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:07 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm
Oh, so he’s the one. :lol:

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:41 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:07 pm
Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm
Oh, so he’s the one. :lol:
Wears his old Redskins gear, though. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen someone in person in Commanders swag.

Suwanee88

Post by Suwanee88 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:48 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm
cop1211 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 pm
They can’t wait till next year for a center and a RT.
Pickett gets an Oline, new OC, and one year of no excuses to prove it or not. If he does that’s best case scenario, if not at least you have the Oline set for the next QB, be it a rookie or a free agent.
I wouldn't make any decisions built around KP. He's done. D-U-N. Dunzo.

However, the only logical strategy for this team is to build everything BUT QB to the maximum possible-- get it all working or find out it doesn't work before next year when some quality QB prospects all hit the draft. You have to be ready to start that cheap QB contract window with all your wheels on the ground or it will take too long, especially for the expensive pieces you already have like TJ & Minkah.

OL
DL
CB

above everything else. Period. Doesn't have to be your first three picks but they could pick only OL/DL/CB with all 7 picks and I'd have no complaints.
I Agree with this strategy.

Build up the line of scrimmage and find another young CB to pair with Porter and Minkah in the secondary.

I really hope they don’t go after an established WR like Aiyuk or Jefferson per the rumors as they are going to be way too expensive to acquire and will take a lot of cap to keep.

These past 2 weeks have been Un-Steeler like and I have loved it. Cut the dead weight and move on from the mistakes.

I like the new QB’s, but who knows how that’s going to shake out. Fields is exciting with a ton of talent (unlike Pickett), but he’s had turnover issues and that 5th year option is not an option unless he puts it all together this year. Will he even get the chance to do that this year? And can they develop him? Tomlin has zero track record of QB development from Dennis Dixon to Duck Hodges to Mason Rudolph etc etc etc.

Russ is solid but he’s old and playing for a new deal. I keep hearing they are open to signing him longer than just this year…..sounds very risky.

We could be starting over again in 2025 at QB, that’s a real possibility.

I’d rather put my trust in Weidl/Khan, acquire the best available building blocks and see what happens. My definition of building blocks….10 positions….5-OL, 3-DL, 2-CB).

We have some work to do. I can see starting w the Powers kid from Oregon at 20 if he’s there.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:59 am

Yeah Suwanee I'm kinda with you on not trading for a star WR...IF the cost is a 1st rd pick or more as has been reported.

BUT

Regardless if the two new qbs are one year rentals or not, both are currently DIRT CHEAP.

In theory, the Steelers SHOULD have money to spend

It's the trading of draft capital that scares me off, but I keep telling myself it worked with Minkah and THAT move was made when the Steelers weren't expected to contend after Ben got hurt.

There's an urgency with the Steelers this offseason I don't think we've ever seen.

Tomlin's Pope-like job security APPEARS to be at an end.

Yep

I sense desperation

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see the Steelers put a bow on this crazy offseason with a big time trade as rumored.

Unfortunately,

Colbert's piss poor decisions to draft Kenny and MUUUUUTH (ohh so fun) among other decisions I'm not yet awake enough to pontificate on have left the roster bereft of talent on both lines.

How do those lines get fortified with no draft capital???

All the star WRs in the world won't mean shit without strong trenches.

Anyway, even if the moves of this offseason (namely the rearranging of the deck at the qb position) fail to pan out, at LEAST it's been FUN and a radical change from the norm.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:29 am

IMO the Steelers need to walk out of the Draft with either the Oregon or WV or Georgia Center

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:47 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:29 am
IMO the Steelers need to walk out of the Draft with either the Oregon or WV or Georgia Center
I am leaning toward getting a day 1 starter at RT in the draft at this point. THey do need a center but they have some options. Jones at Rt should not be an option for the best Oline
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:24 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:47 pm
steelmann58 wrote:
I am leaning toward getting a day 1 starter at RT in the draft at this point. THey do need a center but they have some options. Jones at Rt should not be an option for the best Oline
I don't think JPJ is a particulsarly good fit. If we're going rd 1 C, make mine Barton, who I think is a future All-Pro. If not Barton, then Nourzad or Frazier.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:09 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:24 pm
jebrick wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:47 pm
steelmann58 wrote:
I don't think JPJ is a particulsarly good fit. If we're going rd 1 C, make mine Barton, who I think is a future All-Pro. If not Barton, then Nourzad or Frazier.
I --love-- Barton.

I think he's well above JPJ, Frazier, or anyone else.

I'm only taking JPJ or Frazier in a trade down from 20. If we can get an extra top 100 pick out of it, I'd be more on board.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:23 pm

Barton will be an all pro OG if nothing else. Has some experience at center so that is good enough for me

- Fred Sanford

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:55 pm

Barton played LT and yes he played Center in his freshman year that has me wondering ?

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:28 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:55 pm
Barton played LT and yes he played Center in his freshman year that has me wondering ?
Too small with short arms to stick at OT in the NFL.

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic