Wide Receiver

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:05 pm

The Run and Shoot

Air Coryell

The West Coast Offense

Air Artie?

The Run and Smith??

I’ll work on it.

I read more than I listen, but living here in Atlanta I can’t escape the laughter from Falcons' fans (ok Falcons' fan) and the local sports talk show hosts that stems from former Falcons’ head coach Arthur Smith being my team’s new OC.

The prevailing root of that laughter is Arthur failing to utilize three…that’s 3…skill position players drafted consecutively in the top 8 (Kyle Pitts, Drake London, Bijan Robinson).

I’d argue that perhaps GM Terry Fontenot and Uncle Artie simply weren’t on the same draft page resulting in Artie being overruled by his GM.

I’d also argue that perhaps those three…that’s 3…skill position players drafted consecutively in the top 8 were simply overrated, perhaps vastly so (Jahmyr Giibbs says Hi) .

I’d also argue that perhaps not having a qualified quarterback to utilize said skill players was the primary issue with Artie and the Falcons offense (sounds familiar).

Anyway, my disdain for Arthur Smith is driven by his personality (or lack thereof).

I am willing to take a wait and see approach with how he proceeds in fixing a broken Steelers’ offense.

Again, I read more than I listen.

So when Fury posters write that Arthur likes his skill players big and will largely ignore WRs 3-5, I’ll listen (With the Steelers absent a legitimate NFL quarterback, I lack any motivation to do any actual research here).

I don’t think it’s a big secret that after Pickens and DJ (both of whom I personally find unlikable), the Steelers got nothin’ at WR, big or small.

The fragility of the modern athlete is one of many things rapidly turning me off to the NFL.

It’s not the team with the most talented roster, but the team with the deepest roster that survives the never-ending season.

My theme to these positional write-ups has been to build the trenches and build overall depth on the roster until the next franchise QB is found (hopefully before I die).

If I wake up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I won’t be more surprised if the Steelers trade Dionte Johnson.

My guess is they’ll let his contract expire and take the comp pick.

Still, I see nothing wrong with being prepared for his imminent departure or addressing DEPTH by tapping into a LOADED WR draft class.

However,

With limited draft capital (which could be even more limited should your Steelers trade for Justin Fields) the Steelers could opt to do their usual dumpster dive into free agency:

Artie’s Comfort Food:

Nick Westbrook-Ikhine Titans – 6’2 211- Assuming size matters. Artie connection to the Titans
Mack Hollins Falcons- 6’4 221- Please God no.
Khadarel Hodge Falcons 6’2 203- This is my brother Khadarel, this is my other brother, Khadarel.
Van Jefferson Falcons- 6’1 200- Damn the Falcons WR corps SUCKED. How did Falcons GM Terry Fontenot not get shown the door with Uncle Artie?
Olamide Zaccheus Eagles- 5’8 193- Apparently it’s not the size that matters. Another Falcons connection.
Scotty Miller Falcons- 5’9 174- Please God no.

Sure they’re big, but you’re not sniffing Tee Higgins, Mike Pittman, or Mike Evans:

Noah Brown Texans- 6’2 215- Former Buckeye is a not so sleeper name I’ve read as a possible Steelers signing.
Jauan Jennings 49ers -6’3 212- Actually my top option, but alas he’s a RFA not UFA.
Gabriel Davis Bills 6’2 210- Playoff Gabe burned the Steelers a time or two.
Tyler Boyd Bengals- 6’2 203- Pitt kid. Doesn’t seem too fond of his hometown team.
Donovan Peoples-Jones Lions- 6’2 212- Didn’t take a big year 4 leap like former scUM teammate Nico Collins.
Cedrick Wilson Jr Dolphins- 6’2 197- Ultra cheap size option.
DJ Chark Panthers- 6’3 200- Ultra fragile size/speed option.
Josh Reynolds Lions- 6’3 194- Choke artist, but another cheap size option.
Chase Claypool Dolphins 6’4 238- Just seeing if you’re paying attention.
Equanemious St. Brown Bears- 6’5 215- Ron Approved
Jalen Guyton Chargers 6’1 212- Fringe Big. Home run hitter type.

Calvin Ridley and Hollywood Brown are small. Regardless, you ain’t getting them either:

Curtis Samuel Skins- Former Buckeye I liked way back when.
Odell Beckham Ravens- You laugh but I betcha Tomlin digs him.
Devin Duvernay Ravens- Poach the Rats return man.
Paris Campbell Giants- Another Buckeye I liked way back when.
KJ Osborn Vikings- This one is just for the comedy. Worst hands in the league.
Quez Watkins Eagles- Very poor man’s Mike Wallace.
MeCole Harman Chiefs- Former ‘Dawg, but not a very bright one. Dude didn’t even know his OT TD catch won the Super Bowl.
Braxton Berrios Dolphins- Chicks dig NFL players. Little fella gets his share and your share of hot women.

You know you want one:

• No shot in hell at MHJ, Nabers, or Rome. STUDS
Brian Thomas Jr. LSU- 6’4 205- Big home run hitter. What a year to pass on WR. I am depressed.
AD Mitchell Texas- 6’4 196- Contested catch warlord
Ladd McConkey Georgia- 5’11 185- Transplant homer pick. Tomlin bro hugged him in Mobile. I can’t unsee it. I can’t. I won’t.
Troy Franklin Oregon- 6'3 187- What a class when this speed monger may not go rd 1.
Keon Coleman Noles- 6’4 215 – Remember. Size Matters.
Johnny Wilson Noles- 6’6 236 – Size on a stick right here.
Xavier Legette Cocks- LIES! Kid was listed at 6’3 227. Measured in at 6’1. He can play.
Xavier Worthy Texas 6’0 172- Yet another home run hitter.
Malachi Corley West KY 5’11 210- Sometimes you just draft a player because he’s you know, good.
Roman Wilson Michigan 5’11 192- Doesn’t fit the perceived size parameters, but how long do y’all think Uncle Artie will actually be here? Do you pass on exciting talent to appease an OC that might not be here but a year or two?
Tez Walker Tarheels- 6’3 200. Drop another ball ya barrel of monkey nuts
Jalynn Polk Washington- 6’2 204 – Penix had some weapons didn’t he?
Jalen McMillan Washington- 6’1 192- Borderline on the size but not the talent.
Ricky Pearsall Gators 6’1 190- Catch of the year. Dig him.
Jermaine Burton Bama 6’0 194- A baby soft front 7 cost Georgia their shot at a 3 peat, but damn having Brock Bowers, Ladd McConkey, AD Mitchell, and Burton would’ve been sick. Damn Transfer Portal. Lousy thug.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. Wide Receiver. The Steelers have had some good ones haven’t they? Apparently gone are the days of the Steelers using multiple draft picks on wide receivers. Swann and Stall. Santonio Holmes and the great Willie Reid. Clank Sanders and Antonio Brown. George Pickens and Calvin Austin. Now? They might not even draft one. Go Artie!

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:59 pm

Russell Gage, notable Cut Target, might be realistic Artie Comfort Food.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:37 pm

I am a fan of Corley in the draft. Otherwise, I would just hit the Fa market.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm

**If** they were to spend for a WR on the FA market, I would love to get Noah Brown. I think Ced Wilson could be a nice option as well.

Draft wise: Corley, Malik Washington (small, I know), Tez Walker, or Rice. I also like Luke McCaffrey in the 4th.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm
**If** they were to spend for a WR on the FA market, I would love to get Noah Brown. I think Ced Wilson could be a nice option as well.

Draft wise: Corley, Malik Washington (small, I know), Tez Walker, or Rice. I also like Luke McCaffrey in the 4th.
You’re probably right on Malik Washington
FUN player
Virginia area code

Taj Washington another fun little fella

Still think size gonna matter this year

And yes i inadvertently omitted Brenden Rice and the McCaffery kid.

Tomlin and his NFL bloodlines
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 pm

Count me in for former Buck Noah Brown, too. Was really pleased to see him have a good season last year, and am almost hoping for the Texans to keep him united with CJ (disclaimer: until our Steelers get QB sorted in a real, lasting way (none of the current possibilities need apply), I'm going to be closet-rooting for Stroud and Co. unless they're playing us).
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:22 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 pm
Count me in for former Buck Noah Brown, too. Was really pleased to see him have a good season last year, and am almost hoping for the Texans to keep him united with CJ (disclaimer: until our Steelers get QB sorted in a real, lasting way (none of the current possibilities need apply), I'm going to be closet-rooting for Stroud and Co. unless they're playing us).
I'm with you on the Texans. I'll quietly be rooting for Stroud and company as well.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:25 pm

Honestly, rethinking, what kind of WR hell am I (probably) wishing poor Noah into... he did nothing to deserve our QB room.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:55 pm

Gabe Davis is a player of interest to me.

Some of the WR plan hinges on how sold the team is on Pickens’ ability as a #1 (think Brown, Diontae Johnson, Hines), or is he more of a #2 (think Wallace, Holmes, Plex).

If they think George can be a #1, then maybe they grab a guy who they like as a #2, who could also see some slot time this season. Gabe Davis could fit that profile from the FAs. X. Legette, or any of the 6’2+ targets in the draft could fit the slot in ‘24 and the #2 profile going forward, too.

Johnson does not look like he will be extended / resigned, but it is difficult to envision him in a trade unless a solid #2 option is signed and Pickens is truly believed to be a #1. Additionally, given that Johnson is in his contract season, that could bring out the best in him.

WR looks like an important position to be out in front of, especially with Pickett entering years 3 & 4, and could be a surprise option early if someone they really like is still on the board, and they feel comfortable with the OL situation (C / OT).

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:24 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:37 pm
I am a fan of Corley in the draft. Otherwise, I would just hit the Fa market.
I like Corley as well, but question his fit given how much of his work came from the slot. He and Xavier Legette both look to have enticing upside, but Legette would get my vote right now if they were both still on the board in the 3rd RD.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:13 am

I’m a big Brian Thomas Jr guy, think he’s only scratching the surface of his talent.

Really liking this years group of slot WRs in Corley, Wilson, Pearcell, Jackson, McConkey, etc.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:53 am

Think there Wr pick will come round 3-4

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:43 am

With formal meetings at the combine for Rome, Thomas, Mitchell, Franklin, and Coleman, none of whom are expected to be on the board for our 2nd round pick, they be looking at WR earlier than people expect.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:35 am

Mick wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:43 am
With formal meetings at the combine for Rome, Thomas, Mitchell, Franklin, and Coleman, none of whom are expected to be on the board for our 2nd round pick, they be looking at WR earlier than people expect.
As they should. The WR room is thin and JAG-ish. DJ will be gone after next season. Pickens will follow him out the door the year after. They should be drafting WR high for the next 3-4 years.
Of course none of that matters if they don’t get past their Kenny Pickett fetish and get on with finding a quality QB.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:49 am

i agree needs upgrade

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 pm

Brian Thomas at 20 may not be out of the question. I feel like they go center and CB in FA.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:23 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 pm
Brian Thomas at 20 may not be out of the question. I feel like they go center and CB in FA.
I did not think they would go top CB in Fa because of the cost.

I do expect them to have no holes in the lineup on draft day so they can pick BPA

- Fred Sanford

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:00 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
My guy was scootin'! I didn't think he'd run that fast...if they're moving on from Diontae, wouldn't mind BTJ at 20...but only if all the premier OTs are gone. I love Thomas, but if a guy like Mims or Guyton is there...would be a dilemma for my personally :lol:

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:23 pm
Charles Demarr wrote:
I did not think they would go top CB in Fa because of the cost.

I do expect them to have no holes in the lineup on draft day so they can pick BPA
Top corner? No.

Sean Murphy Bunting, Yes.

They'll take a 4th round corner.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:03 am

I think they will draft a Wr very early they need to find a stud

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:14 pm

Per Fittipaldo Florida WR Ricky Perseall in for a visit earlier in week.

- Fred Sanford

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:20 pm

Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley On Pre-Draft Visit

- Fred Sanford

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:26 am

Your going see to WR drafted one deep and another route guy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic